It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadians overly sensitive, Brits warned

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I'd just mention that I'm not.

I wouldn't punch someone for it.

I might consider punching someone if I went over there and any of the brits pulled their anti-red-head BS on me.

[edit on 2010/8/11 by Aeons]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
If one wants to know if the person being met is Canadian or American, check their knowledge of metric. Ask for a definition of a kilopascal. "Do you eat that or put it in your tires?"
The unmentioned problem is how to tell a Canuck from a Quebecois. This can be really serious.

Americans be warned: Stay away from metric. In the words of the great American philosopher, Homer Simpson..."Metric. Tool of the devil."

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

Thankfully I haven't met you in a bar, or I'd be handing over my Toonies

I think what we all have to realise here is that Canada and the US are great allies, and so are their people. Yes there is the differences, but people from both sides that I have met have been really nice people!

We're like the big brother version of OZ and New Zealand

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Forget bacon
Get with what is important.
beer.
When I was working for Americans they sure like to drink ours.
and the more they do the more they start to seem just like us...

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

I might consider punching someone if I went over there and any of the brits pulled their anti-red-head BS on me.

Right, almost spilt my coffee over the keyboard while reading your post..

[edit on 11-8-2010 by tristar]

link   

Originally posted by Danbones
Forget bacon
beer.

Oh, hell yeah!! I start drinking Canadian beer, I start saying things like, "aboot".

link   
reply to post by tristar

you sir/madam are the one in need of an education. You've got me laughing and rolling on the floor because of your stupidity.

Firstly, to the majority of the world it is extremely difficult to identify a Canadian accent over any one of the number of regional accents of the US.

Secondly, Canadians are Americans! They are as much Americans as Brazilians, Chileans, Colombians , Mexicans and Canadians.. US citizens and Mexicans are also North Americans, just as Brits are Europeans. It's just the arrogance of US citizens coupled with their dumbed down education that leads them to believe they constitute the entirety America, while instead being only a member of the ensemble.

Finally, I don't blame Canadians getting upset at being mistaken for 'Americans' that would be a complete nightmare. The good thing though is that even if you don't recognise them as Canadians by their accent, a few minutes of chatting and it becomes obvious by their whole demeanor and attitude that they are indeed Canadian.

link   
Canada doesn't invade other countries, and got its sovereignty by asking nicely.
Canada willing doesn't develop nuclear weapons, when it could do it with no international controversy.
Americans on the other hand..well.. you know.

link   

Forget bacon
beer.

Drunken Hosers?

Yeah, can't stand American beer. Too weak.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by inkslug
reply to post by tristar

you sir/madam are the one in need of an education. You've got me laughing and rolling on the floor because of your stupidity.

Firstly, to the majority of the world it is extremely difficult to identify a Canadian accent over any one of the number of regional accents of the US.

Why thank you, but sadly i can identify the differences in accents as lets say my occupation requires as such but then again, i do expect a reporter to research what he writes instead of taking it as second hand evidence reporting it as "bible knowledge" especially when its focused on the upcoming Olympics.

As for the majority of the world, well if people actually interacted instead of being glued to the idiot box they would realize or should i say for example the difference of a Swedish person speaking English to that of Norwegian speaking English. Hope your following me here.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Or Hose head as he calls his dog, enjoy:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Well, Aeons carefull when visting Oz,
because they are like as not to nickname you "Bluey"
before they buy you a fosters and try to pick you up...
with one hand....

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Probably the most important thing in cross-cultural stuff to realize about Canadians is, we have a very large "personal bubble." Maybe the largest on the planet.

People standing or sitting too close, or worse talking very close while talking to us will prompt a Canadian to try to increase distance between them and that person. Discreetly if possible, but maybe not if it is unexpected.

Touching while talking with strangers will prompt one to physically disengage as quickly as can be managed.

You might find this an odd thing to mention. I work in a very multi-cultural industry, and this one issue makes born/raised Canadians absolutely snaky.

We don't complain about it - but having a Ukrainian talk to you all friendly while touching your arm and standing with their face two inches from your face.....its hard to think about anything they are talking about.

Same with someone from a ME culture. That static smile is one trying to figure out how to step back without triggering that person to step forward into you again while trying to pretend you are listening, and how not to offend.

We smile and will make eye contact in public, and really don't think of any area as being "off-limits." This can cause people to become very concerned for us.

However, in crowded situations we avoid eye contact as a means of increasing the personal bubble.

[edit on 2010/8/11 by Aeons]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

and the more they do the more they start to seem just like us...]

LOL! This made me think of an episode of King of Queens, where Doug's buddy spikes Carry's and her friends beer with Vodka, and then denies it, saying it's just Canadian beer (and it was actually the brand "Canadian" they were drinking!)

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
All right before this get's out of hand.

There is nothing wrong with Canadian beer! I've drank more than my fare share and it's great stuff and further more...

Oh what?

Not the topic?

Oh excuse me, never mind.

Please continue.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Only thing missing there is guetarz.
and girlz
but we love BandD anyhow
Cheers...
"two turtlenecks
and a beer"

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I live in Northern New York about a mile from the Canadian border. Canadians have an accent, a sort of lilt if you will. It's unmistakable, I don't see how anyone could mistake a Canadian for an American. I know some Canadians that would be very offended.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
All right before this get's out of hand.

There is nothing wrong with Canadian beer! I've drank more than my fair share and it's great stuff and further more...

Oh what?

Not the topic?

Oh excuse me, never mind.

Please continue.

So sorry for the off topic but i could not resist.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

This one is more apt:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Well... I have a lot of friends from up north (Vancouver BC area) and the only thing that's different and overly sensitive about them is that they think the Hockey is better then ours.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join