It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadians overly sensitive, Brits warned

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Canadians are a mixed bunch of people. Produced by the great Murderous British Empire Canadian have struggled impose their own Identity for the rest of the world to see.

Canada has copied American lifestyle in a munber of ways. They have their streets set out in Blocks (like the Americans) so all streets and roads are straight so they dont get lost and so its easy to find their way around. Simplistic and very American.

There is a widely contested debate as to whether the Mullet was invented in America but it is largely believed to of been invented in Canada. Again the cultural similarities caused a big controversy here.

Canada's national sport is Ice Hockey (they invented) and are the only country that really plays it. Just like America Invented Gridiron they too are the only ones who play that. Oh no thats right. the Canadians have their own mini league called CFL. A game similar and just as boring as the bigger American NFL. Why its called football is a mystery to the rest of the world as they use their hands which requires 70% less brain usage as it does to play proper Football with the FEET (pronounced Soc-cor in the US and Canada).

Canada is ten percent french having lost out some of their land to the French but not the real french. These are Canadian french and can often been seen wearing lumberjack shirts in Quebec (a province that wants to dissolve its relationship with Canada and become its own country.)

So again there is mixed Identity issues within Canada between Canadians or Canucks as they like to be called in Vancouver where they wear oversized hockey jockey shirts to GM place and watch their team play a mind numbingly boring game on a rink about two foot in length.

Most of the world refer to Canada as little America and that is also backed by the fact that they call their currency the Dollar like America instead of the Pound like the British. However they still worship the British Queen in their spare time as denoted by the use of the queens head on their CDN $.

Canadians Like to Kill seals in their spare time to which the rest of the world dislikes and this years numbers where a mere 67,000 in June compared to 275000 in 2008. Its a shame that the Canadian Armed force are not as good as the seal clubbers in terms of killing.

Canada seems to be around 5 years or so behind America in terms of culture and living standards and often use American standards as their marker. The only thing canada seems to be more advanced than America is there acceptance of Homosexuals to which they have the largest per capita in the world. You only have to walk up and down Davie street in Vancouver to realize that most Canadian Men are Homosexual and it is accepted freely with out prejudice as can be seen by the amount of males walking around with dogs the size of rats on pink leads wearing silver speedos in the summer.

Canada's cable channels are predominantly American even though most American films are filmed in Vancouver BC. Again the over lap is clear.

Candians have a bad reputation around the world for their famous child sex tourists and there record is one of the worst in the world ironically jumping above the US by two places (finally they beat the yanks at something).

Canadas Sex tourists

I do think that outside Canada, Canadian are very insecure about their identity as their education system is pretty appalling. They are taught very little about world issues and there education system is set for students to succeed in Canada only. Like America not many canadians can pick out Budapest on a map or know that most of the IRA's weapons were supplied by America.

I think that Canadians are lacking a sense of who they are in the world. America has accomplished so much in a short space of time as a country but we can not say the same for Canada...YET!!

[edit on 11-8-2010 by sassyncute]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Well... I have a lot of friends from up north (Vancouver BC area) and the only thing that's different and overly sensitive about them is that they think the Hockey is better then ours.

I can definitely see a diplomat in the makings here.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by sassyncute

WTF?!?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sassyncute

There is a widely contested debate as to whether the Mullet was invented in America but it is largely believed to of been invented in Canada. Again the cultural similarities caused a big controversy here.

!

I would of thought the Mullet was something you would want to blame the other Country for inventing.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Canada and America are tied at the hip. Our history is intertwined. Acadians went to Louisiana after the purge in Nova Scotia. Sitting Bull came north after Little Big Horn. The longest undefended border in the world. Unless I am mistaken, the White House was the Pink House before it was burned by Canadians in the war of 1812; which did not happen in 1812.
It would never be an insult for me to be called American. Bros.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

WTF?!?

I kicked his/her ass in another thread and s/he want retribution. Ignore the troll imo.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

What is your deal?
Hitler in a dress.
Fitting.

Let me start by saying this, I've been to Canada numerous times. I have plenty of Canadian friends and some relatives that are Canadian. They are about as American as your post is accurate.

Sure it's easy to sit back at a keyboard and hide behind your monitor and pick apart a country. Trust me as an American I see it all day everyday. Here's a suggestion. Why don't you let us all know where you are from so we can return the favor and express how we feel about your country.

pffft.

L

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Ah you have been to Canada. Wow. I am typing this from inside Canada right now. Ask a mod to check my IP. In fact I am at Blenz on the corner of Granville and Davie. I fly to Boston US tomorrow for work. I am in Vancouver and Toronto 4 times a year. Unfortunately.

My post is largely accurate. What is false about my statement? I know it does not seem nice but it is true.

I am very sorry that it has caused you offense coming from the US. And I am sorry to Canadians to but what i wrote is true. It not a bad thing as Canada is a very young country and has room not to make the same mistakes other more established countries have.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by sassyncute]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

You still were not brave enough to educate us readers of your home country. As I requested earlier. Please enlighten us of your country of origin. Turn about is fair play. It's so easy to hide in a dress behind a monitor and spew rhetoric.

No?

[edit on 11-8-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by sassyncute
Canadians are a mixed bunch of people. Produced by the great Murderous British Empire Canadian have struggled impose their own Identity for the rest of the world to see.

Don't like Brits or Cdns. OK

Canada has copied American lifestyle in a munber of ways. They have their streets set out in Blocks (like the Americans) so all streets and roads are straight so they dont get lost and so its easy to find their way around. Simplistic and very American.

You don't get out much do you. Maybe half the streets are straight and in blocks, in both countries.

Canada's national sport is Ice Hockey (they invented) and are the only country that really plays it.

You forgot about Russia?

So again there is mixed Identity issues within Canada between Canadians or Canucks as they like to be called in Vancouver where they wear oversized hockey jockey shirts to GM place and watch their team play a mind numbingly boring game on a rink about two foot in length.

WTF?

Canada seems to be around 5 years or so behind America in terms of culture and living standards and often use American standards as their marker. The only thing canada seems to be more advanced than America is there acceptance of Homosexuals to which they have the largest per capita in the world. You only have to walk up and down Davie street in Vancouver to realize that most Canadian Men are Homosexual and it is accepted freely with out prejudice as can be seen by the amount of males walking around with dogs the size of rats on pink leads wearing silver speedos in the summer.

WTF? So you spend a couple of weeks in downtown Vancouver? Our worst city in some ways (Vancouver east side). And Toronto. One of our busiest, hottest, and most polluted. Have you seen how big Canada is? And you're on Granville and Davie
Just what kind of work do you do to be on the worst corner in BC? :shk:

I do think that outside Canada, Canadian are very insecure about their identity as their education system is pretty appalling. They are taught very little about world issues and there education system is set for students to succeed in Canada only. Like America not many canadians can pick out Budapest on a map or know that most of the IRA's weapons were supplied by America.

I think that Canadians are lacking a sense of who they are in the world. America has accomplished so much in a short space of time as a country but we can not say the same for Canada...YET!!

:shk: America has almosy 10 times the population of Canada. Of course they've accomplished more.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by snowspirit]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
This phenomena is about akin to someone mistaking a Scot for an Irishman, or a Taiwanese for Chinese. Maybe less than that.

On that note, for a bit of poking - A Brit is just an Irishman who can't swim. OH....not sensitive about that are ya?

[edit on 2010/8/11 by Aeons]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Why I am proud to be a Canadian...

Milk Bags!!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
We don't have those bags in my area anymore. Haven't in like a decade.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Lets be honest here. In this day and age, when I find myself siding with the Muslims and Arabs over the USA, wouldn't you be a little pissed off if you were mistaken for an American?

Hate to break it to you, but the USA has got a terrible public relations nightmare on its hands right now. The only people who want to be American's right now are Mexican's, and they just want the land, they hate the culture of the USA as much as the rest of the world.

, feels good to get that one off my chest.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
We all have our sensitivities. Call someone from Alabama a Yankie. Then RUN!!! It's about self perception. People should be proud of their homes accomplishments.

Btw, hockey is also played in Germany, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Czech Republic, Slovenia(or Slovakia, I get those two mixed up), Norway, The US, Latvia and Belarus. Just to name the ones that come to mind.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Canadians have always suffered from the little brother complex, always overshadowed by their big brother to the south.

You Canucks LOVE America, you just can't admit it. You embrace American culture. You watch American TV, movies and sports. You eat McDonalds and drink Coca-cola just like Americans. So embrace your big brother to the south, we love you little bro.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek
reply to post by Tykonos

I understand 100%. I'm South African, and when I got here I couldn't tell the diff between a Canuck and American from the NE. Now I got a good handle on it.

When I open my mouth, people think I'm: Australian, Kiwi, English.... very few get I'm South African off the bat. Good news is that I've won some money at the bars giving people 3 chances to get it right, or cough over their "Toonies" to me.

Tell me about it! When backpacking through Europe twice you South Africans were the ones I messed up guessing the nationality the most. Always mistook you guys for Aussies.

Almost every Canadian Backpacker I met had their Flag on their backpack. They were/are very sensitive to be considered American you can't deny that. It must be hard for Europeans to tell our accents apart, even though they are both pretty distinctive. Should have been able to tell us apart by the really white sunburned person, LOL, jk. Myself, I placed an American Flag on mine. No worries though, they were great when backpacking and ARE great neighbors to the U.S.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
We don't have those bags in my area anymore. Haven't in like a decade.

Seriously?? I am so sad for you. You will be happy to know they are alive and flourishing in Ontario

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead
Canadians have always suffered from the little brother complex, always overshadowed by their big brother to the south.

We suffer from it because you keep saying you're Big Brother. You aren't. We don't see you that way, you do. And yes, that pisses us off.

You Canucks LOVE America, you just can't admit it. You embrace American culture. You watch American TV, movies and sports. You eat McDonalds and drink Coca-cola just like Americans. So embrace your big brother to the south, we love you little bro.

There are some aspects sure, mine is the NFL(GO NINERS). But we are far from embracing the culture as a whole. Nor would we want to. See the OP for this reasoning.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

It isn't actually sensitivity to being mistaken for being American. Those backpackers just don't want to be mistaken for the things that American tourists are known to do. Also, some of those who are the most sensitive are actually Americans pretending to be Canadians....for the same reason.

It is a small difference. We aren't upset at being mistaken for an American - we don't want you to think we are going to do something like break out in the American Anthem at the drop of hat, or pretend to be cheerleader chanting Wisconsin with pom-poms (I didn't make those up.)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join