It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google CEO Schmidt: No Anonymity Is The Future Of Web

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces
I'm two steps from knowing your name and address - and so is everyone on this site.

Step 1: Get your IP address. This can be done by finding a vulnerability in ATS servers, creating a cross-scripting linked site that you may be interested in (known by reading your posts or profile) which may result in you visiting and being identified by either your input or by steal cookies from your computer, among other means.

Step 2: Contact the ISP that issued your ISP.

Sure, it will take a little social engineering, but it's hardly impossible... especially if you just happen to know someone on the inside or the software they use has some exploits. Of course, even with step 1 complete, you can on average be traced to 5-10 miles of your physical address. I could certainly use information gathered online that you've made available to home in on your person.

However you miss the point in your entire post which is rather funny. I can take all sorts of measures to stop you finding me if i was putting up say some incriminating evidence about a companies or governments actions. If need be i can use a free access point to make sure i'm fully anonymous.

If real ID's are made viewable all the time then any kind of anonymous whistleblowing is out.

As for what you know about me, that isn't much and i don't give out my personal details to anyone on a forum, at least nothing that can be used to find out who i am.

Oh and Biquad antennas hooked up to a satellite dish are great aren't they?

As for your post it pretty much is utterly pointless, you did not even consider the value of being anonymous for things like whistleblowing and you have repeatedly refused to address the issue. If i truly wanted to be anonymous on ATS it wouldn't be hard, but the level of anonymity i have here is sutable for now.

The point still stands though, wikileaks couldn't exist without anonymity

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

I'm two steps from knowing your name and address - and so is everyone on this site.

Step 1: Get your IP address. This can be done by finding a vulnerability in ATS servers, creating a cross-scripting linked site that you may be interested in (known by reading your posts or profile) which may result in you visiting and being identified by either your input or by steal cookies from your computer, among other means.

Step 2: Contact the ISP that issued your ISP.

Sure, it will take a little social engineering, but it's hardly impossible... especially if you just happen to know someone on the inside or the software they use has some exploits. Of course, even with step 1 complete, you can on average be traced to 5-10 miles of your physical address. I could certainly use information gathered online that you've made available to home in on your person.

However you miss the point in your entire post which is rather funny. I can take all sorts of measures to stop you finding me if i was putting up say some incriminating evidence about a companies or governments actions. If need be i can use a free access point to make sure i'm fully anonymous.

If real ID's are made viewable all the time then any kind of anonymous whistleblowing is out.

As for what you know about me, that isn't much and i don't give out my personal details to anyone on a forum, at least nothing that can be used to find out who i am.

Oh and Biquad antennas hooked up to a satellite dish are great aren't they?

As for your post it pretty much is utterly pointless, you did not even consider the value of being anonymous for things like whistleblowing

Uh... was the person listening to the whistle blower the first ever anonymous certificate authority? Are you completely ignorant or something?

and you have repeatedly refused to address the issue. If i truly wanted to be anonymous on ATS it wouldn't be hard, but the level of anonymity i have here is suitable for now.

It wouldn't be "hard" for anyone if they "wanted" to. The point is that people leak information that they don't intend to. It's a rule. Always has been, always will be. Problem is, You specify a level of anonymity that doesn't match to what is known and harvestable about you.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Uh... was the person listening to the whistle blower the first ever anonymous certificate authority? Are you completely ignorant or something?

The internet makes anonymous whistleblowing easier while reaching a larger audience so it is important to keep it in this form.

It wouldn't be "hard" for anyone if they "wanted" to. The point is that people leak information that they don't intend to. It's a rule. Always has been, always will be. Problem is, You specify a level of anonymity that doesn't match to what is known and harvestable about you.

A level of anonymity that means for example the average employer wouldn't even know i visit ATS. That is what i meant by anonymous, however once again if i wanted to be utterly anonymous online i could be, so could you and if you had something you thought was important to share but could get you in trouble then you could do so.

Without that blanket of anonymity the public may never learn the truths behind some important issues. And that is the important point.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by EFGuy

Anonymity and privacy were considered noble things and a basic human right after the end of the Second World War.

Now people are trying to sell it as "dangerous"? This sounds very Orwellian. The lack of it is dangerous!

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I am proud to say I just uninstalled the Google Chrome and all google related links from my browser and system. Not only that I have now blocked google completely by blocking these links

# [Google Inc]
127.0.0.1 google-analytics.com
127.0.0.1 ssl.google-analytics.com
127.0.0.1 googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 sb.google.com
127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 pagead.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js
127.0.0.1 eh-in-f191.google.com
127.0.0.1 www.google-analytics.com
127.0.0.1 sb.google.com
127.0.0.1 medicinecare.blogspot.com # Google spy
127.0.0.1 blogspot.l.google.com

hello Mr Schmidt!!

[edit on 12-8-2010 by name pending]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

You are crazy.

You say that "Privacy and anonymity on the internet is slowly being erroded"

So you shouldn't have a problem giving PLENTY of examples of the "good old days" when the internet (a collection of computers that log nearly every connection they make) was private.

What's my name? Don't know? Ok then shut up about the internet not being private

Of course IP's log where you go and what you do but it's incredibly easy to circumvent that system, i'm guessing you don't know about computers otherwise you would understand that. If however they force identities to be revealed for everyone then you open up a world of trouble. I have already linked to you two stories where someone tracked an individual down to kill them just for beating them at an online game.

Now those individuals had to search very hard to find those details, if you make all identities public online then finding people becomes a great deal easier and so you basically invite further violent crimes.

If someone was able to track someone down with just an alias, then what good is your privacy? It's like security by obscurity. Just because YOU can't see it doesn't mean it's not there. Your example just goes to prove the point that "privacy" or "anonymity" does not protect you. If someone is crazy and wants to hurt you, they'll find a way. However, it's a proven fact that if you remove anonymity, people are more civil and polite because they have to own up to what they do and say and how they act.

I'm absolutely certain that there will be incidents where people are tracked down and hurt or even killed, but it's not like that doesn't happen already. If you want to outlaw something, outlaw craziness, because that's about as likely as ensuring people's anonymity or privacy.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fiverz
Glad to see most everyone here on this thread glossed right over this post.

Maybe we do really need Net Nannies and Big Brothers to tell us what to read, understand, and comprehend because apparently we are doing a piss poor job of it on our own.

You need to calm down, some of us read that post and went on discussing whether anonymity online is a good thing. If you had read the thread in full you would realise that it's gone beyond the initial posting.

I am sorry. Greater than 50% of the posts preceding mine talk about boycotting Google or calling for the removal of Schmidt; I should have said "the majority" instead of "most." My point remains.

Oh and just so you don't think I'm shooting steam out of my ears, I will now type in capital letters END HYPERBOLE, where it should have been at the end of my original post. I forgot, the general public lacks 6th grade reading literature comprehension.

ANYHOOOOO ...

I could care less about what Schmidt says. I agree with you on many points, we need anonymity on the web.

The thing I disagree with is that there is any humanly way possible that our - or any - government could actually create some sort of "preventative" web access system. It's just too ingrained into everything we - and more importantly, they - do, and they're just too stupid.

People give our government waaaaay too much credit. Yes, there are some bright and diabolical minds and yes there is some really shady stuff that goes on. But for every conspiracy theory and government coup, I can find you a boneheaded political move or a much-needed law swimming in a sea of red tape.

The internet as it exists, with total anonymity (or lack thereof depending on who you REALLY talk to) will be here for the foreseeable future.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Something I just came across today and was going to make a thread on it, but search led me to this thread which is pretty much on the same topic. I tellin ya...I recommend we all begin (if you haven't done so already) to shift our surfing habits as well as who we choose to go with for email as something tells me that this is going to get real big, real fast like in suppressing any and all opposition to the NWO/elites :-/

Google Video Link

Arrgghh having issues with vid link. Anyways here is the video I am referring to:

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 19-8-2010 by Newbomb Turk]

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by broli
Any centralized concept is a bad one, it grows too big and gets corrupted. Look at the world governments. The solution is to decentralize everything and put the power and responsibilities in the people's hands.

If you want a real alternative with an actual sane future in mind check out;

secure.wikimedia.org...
yacy.net...

This search engine is completely decentralized and is ran and built by you the user through a p2p like network. This is the kind of solutions the masses need, not some corporate cake that's filled with poison.

Very good points, and a good solution! I've been using YaCy, and lately it seems to me that the number of hosts is increasing. I think we are not too far from a point at which the thing has a lot of momentum.

Not only that, but g00gle relies on advertising related to search for all of its enterprises. As people abandon g00gle, their hyper-networked system of knowing everything about everybody will fall to pieces. And not before time!

But they asked for it. They started simple, but they have tried to do too much. I don't want private entities knowing everything that interests me.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by EFGuy

I haven't read the thread yet, besides the OP & news link, & perhaps others have pointed this out already, but I just had to post it.
Seems as though this is eerily timed with the DARPA Director (HWIC), Regina Dugan resigning & taking a "Senior Executive Position" at Google according to google. News came out March 13th.

link is here, sorry don't know how to embed yet.
rt.com...
It is RT, but hey, the bought & paid for MSM ain't going to make anything of these kinds of things, as we certainly know from numerous past examples, but...curios timing methinks. Wonder what they've had cookin' before these announcements.

edit on 3/14/2012 by ISeeTheFnords because: ETA:Cool, just pasting the url embeds automatically. I've seen other people have problems, & just assumed i might too.

edit on 3/14/2012 by ISeeTheFnords because: Another Linkey

www.huffingtonpost.com...
edit on 3/14/2012 by ISeeTheFnords because: new to this

edit on 3/14/2012 by ISeeTheFnords because: to add

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Don't use google or any of it's products! Use duckduckgo.com or ixquick.com for your search needs.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

You're the first one I found who mentioned DARPA in this thread, Kudos.
As I posted earlier (later, pg 7) DARPA's Director is leaving and taking a "Special Executive Position" at Google.
Interesting timing, no?
rt.com...
news.google.com... ult&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CDAQqgIwAA

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
They really have gone too far. They started out as a search engine that was decent, now they're just bothered about power and money.

Am going to abandon their search engine if possible first and use duckduckgo and see how that works. (then switch again if that isn't good enough.) Then start checking for other email providers.

As time passes such things as youtube will hopefully start being used less and whatever other products they have. They did the big power grab and got greedy, soon they'll have rivals I guess and start losing that power because they've gone over the top too often.

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

So I shouldn't take showers anymore? No more sex?

If those are your big worries I feel really bad about myself.

Goggle gives me the creeps. Must stop using it and change my damn email. Remember when Google was a new thing? Altavista seems so much less sinister.
edit on 14-3-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
There is a lot of people claiming to be knowledgeable or saying they have credentials that don't and hide behind anonymity. There are a lot of lies and misconceptions behind anonymity.

There is also a lot of truth being told behind anonymity that would not be told because some people are shy in reality. There is a lot of knowledge and awareness in many of the meek people, much more than in the overconfident controlling people that are presently in charge of things.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join