It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google CEO Schmidt: No Anonymity Is The Future Of Web

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
They already tried this here earlier this year. Both the Government and the opposition supported a new law to make people use their real names and postcode when posting a comment during an election period.

People told them to shove it, and they backed down and abolished the law.

SA backs down on internet comment curb

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
OK so we know for sure Eric Schmidt is a Bad Guy. Changing my search engine to Yahoo now.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by EFGuy

Google! Too much of a good thing eh?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by EFGuy

Google CEO Schmidt: No Anonymity Is The Future Of Web

www.networkworld.com

Schmidt's message at the Techonomy Conference was that anonymity is a dangerous thing and governments will demand an end to it.

No anonymity is the future of web in the opinion of Google's CEO Eric Schmidt. He said many creepy things about privacy at the Techonomy Conference. The focus of the conference was how technology is changing and can change society. Schmidt's message was that anonymity is a dangerous thing and governments will demand an end to it.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Well, we all knew this was coming. Just when? I get creepy feelings that we are already being tagged, traced and spied on.

SeaWind

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SupremeKnowledge
LMAO @ no anonymity
Google must have lost their minds!!!!

I think google needs to remember that we built the internet;
Google is just a leech, a simple search engine, nothing more;

I hope Google starts charging people money to use Youtube, So we could create another video site and upload our content to there instead....

The only reason google is the top site is because everyone has their homepage set as google;
so every time we open our browsers google pops up;
Its not like google controls the internet;

We have Bing from Microsoft who arent actually power hungry like verizon and google,
Theres also Yahoo and countless other search engines

If Google doesnt get off their high horse and stop acting pompous and treating their users like inferiors then we WILL find another search engine provider....

[edit on 10-8-2010 by SupremeKnowledge]

the military created the internet...although back then it wasnt called internet...we just expanded on that original creation when it was released to the public.

unfortunately...google has come a long way since its "simple search engine" days. its bigger than you think now and yes you might be right in saying they are power hungry.

but microsoft are MUCH worse...microsoft might not be leading the internet battle but when it comes to your actual computer and its software they are cleaning house.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Late again. [sigh]

There will be no one in control, either - and so you will only be of interest to those you love and love you, and those you behaved poorly to. By those measures, I would be comfortable. I try very hard not to behave poorly with others, and I want the ones who I love and who love me to know who I am.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
reply to post by sn00daard

If using firefox there is a fine little addon called "cookie monster". You can set it to various levels of security but if you want to stop all cookies then you can set it to reject all cookies and then only allow cookies for the websites you used. This means you never have any third party stuff on your system, you don't have tracking cookies (unless you allow stuff like google) and basically it greatly increases privacy.

It's a good tool. These are few of the best tools which help protect users from unnecessary prying

Better Privacy: This tool removes all Flash Cookies and Dom Storage objects which are not removed by regular cookie remover tools. It's one the best for Firefox.

Here's the link for Cookie Monster for those interested.

For users using Firefoc I recommend you go through this list of tools available and choose what you want

Privacy & Security

Oh and as someone has already said Google Chrome is the biggest spy you can install on your system.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I posted about this a while ago. It was largely ignored.
Internet Anonymity at Risk

This is just another way for the government to stifle dissent.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by truthquest

Perhaps no free speech works for you too. For example, maybe you have nothing offensive to say to people. But then would you go a step further and say other people should be forced by law to express who they are. In America we have the freedom of expression. Telling who you are is an expression. Therefore it is my right to not express that. Agreed?

This is not even close tot he same thing. Maybe next argument, you'll say "perhaps you don't need oxygen, either?"

You don't have a problem with phone numbers having no anonymity.
You don't have a problem with having addresses on your home.
You don't have a problem with being required to give out those two in order to identify yourself.

So what's the difference with the internet? And by the way, you're not TELLING anyone who you are on the internet...it's just there in a domain of no anonymity.

And that is far from freedom of expression.

But to use one of your own styles of argument:

If we have freedom of expression, perhaps murder should not be illegal, so pissed of people are free to express themselves?

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Snarf]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
The conclusion from Schmidt statements is they (Google) are setting the stage for their next big revenue stream, and throwing net neutrality under the bus to get it.

Here is a interactive graphic showing Google's widening reach over people and internet.

It is unsettling and frightening.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
If this happends I will cut off my internet connection. Simple as that, I know one little ol person cutting off isnt going to bother them but Im sure I will one of many who chooses this option.

Google is no longer the homepage on any computer in my home.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Its very simple really and I don't have to go into detail as the proof is all over the net as it stands today.......
THE NEW INTERNET WILL BE HACKED TO OBLIVION!!!
Imagin all those Hackers/Crackers that can out perform OS, Search Engines and Virus Software Producers on a regular bases, then add in the file sharers and then finally the Gamers/moders disgruntled at the now new toll fees for surfing the web and playing games.
LMAO all these firms thinking their music or their software is safe. It will be a Rout!
Look at the McKinnon case, Governments and Organisations don't even understand the importance of passwords.
It will be a big waiste of time and money, furthermore this will be when you see Google, Yahoo and any other company that invested in it go down the SH***R
one way no bail outs.

ps.edit that isn't a theory!

My New HP www.altavista.com...

[edit on 11-8-2010 by DreamerOracle]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I'm never surprised by the knee-jerk reactions from people attempting to determine the intent of a company by either trying to connect the dots with random quotes or by taking a selective history and making what they want of it.

I live in the technical world. Computers are both my career and hobby and I'm amused when people freak out over something that if they were only more educated on the topic, would realize there's not really anything new going on.

Privacy and anonymity on the internet is mostly an illusion. Most of the people posting on these forums aren't aware enough of the ease of which they can be tracked and how much information can be pulled using technology they currently use.

I benefit from technical ignorance though. The more ignorant people are, the more useful I am. If browsing anonymously or privately is your goal, then you won't attain that goal without a certain set of technical skills and knowledge that requires either schooling or many years of technical use of computers.

Most of those applications or sites people are touting are just giving you a false sense of security. They'll prevent historical data from being collected on YOUR computer, but they won't stop the information from being gathered on the back-end. And it's been gathered on the backend since the inception of the internet. The networking side of the backend could track you. When you throw in a trail from where you go and what you do on the internet, a profile could be easily gathered to determine how much a threat you are, psychologically. This is all done with whatever privacy and anonymity you currently think that you have.

Does knowing this make you any more paranoid? It shouldn't, because you have no control over it. The only control you have is to not use it. If you think that browsing from a public location such as a library or internet cafe are solutions, then that's another ignorance of the facts.

The majority of people that are browsing the web anonymously or privately, are in places of power or secrecy. You guys should really be shouting for NO anonymity so that you're on an even playing field...

In the end, all this technology that makes the internet and all the information stored on it available, is also designed to track who uses it. The good of the internet will outweigh the bad just like in society where I believe that there is more GOOD in it, than bad. Anonymity just allows people to misbehave without repercussions and I for one welcome the day when our online persona can be linked to a real person. I can already feel civility returning because of it.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
The information...... I couldn't give two hoots about, frankly anyone wanting to know what I do must lead a very sad life.............and anyways the only info of value from me is my research and thats on paper and my unconnected 2nd PC with portable terradrive, Safe and sound.
For someone in the know you seemed to have missed out Zombie PC's, why do you think hackers are traced to China because thats the trail they're given by the hacker....a goose chase.
So my main beef is the secondary charge we will all face......which will be passed on through every third party program you use. Do a count on your own connected system, every program you use regarding the internet.....subscriptions all round anyone?
I counted 24 on mine, from Adobe to Messenger to name a few.
Also the rumors of charging to search the www...meaning if you search in your own countries web you are fine but as soon as you go www you would have had to have payed extra to do it (please enter your credit card number to continue with your search) Sponsored by Google kerching!!.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by DreamerOracle]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

reply to post by RestingInPieces

Another person who picks on the members without reaslising that many of them are now discussing the idea of internet anonymity and have pretty much disregarded the opening post. Privacy and anonymity on the internet is slowly being erroded and i don't think that discussing the issue means people don't read anything.

Maybe you should read back and see that many people haven't even mentioned the opening post, they have merely voiced their concerns about privacy online.

You are crazy.

You say that "Privacy and anonymity on the internet is slowly being erroded"

So you shouldn't have a problem giving PLENTY of examples of the "good old days" when the internet (a collection of computers that log nearly every connection they make) was private.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf
reply to post by truthquest

Perhaps no free speech works for you too. For example, maybe you have nothing offensive to say to people. But then would you go a step further and say other people should be forced by law to express who they are. In America we have the freedom of expression. Telling who you are is an expression. Therefore it is my right to not express that. Agreed?

This is not even close tot he same thing. Maybe next argument, you'll say "perhaps you don't need oxygen, either?"

You don't have a problem with phone numbers having no anonymity.
You don't have a problem with having addresses on your home.
You don't have a problem with being required to give out those two in order to identify yourself.

So what's the difference with the internet? And by the way, you're not TELLING anyone who you are on the internet...it's just there in a domain of no anonymity.

And that is far from freedom of expression.

But to use one of your own styles of argument:

If we have freedom of expression, perhaps murder should not be illegal, so pissed of people are free to express themselves?

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Snarf]

I'm not following. I get anonymous phone calls all the time. The number is marked "private". I just don't answer them. I respect their right to call me without having identified their self just like they respect my right not to answer the call.

I'm just fine with someone not printing an address on their house and mailbox. And I'm just fine with people with chose not to disclose that information. I'm just fine with someone opening an anonymous numbered bank account like they do in Switzerland.

Killing someone is a lot more than a form of expression. Identification is purely a form of expression. Therefore the analogy is good. I have a right to not tell you anything I wish, such as my name.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces
You are crazy.

So you shouldn't have a problem giving PLENTY of examples of the "good old days" when the internet (a collection of computers that log nearly every connection they make) was private.

What's my name? Don't know? Ok then shut up about the internet not being private

Of course IP's log where you go and what you do but it's incredibly easy to circumvent that system, i'm guessing you don't know about computers otherwise you would understand that. If however they force identities to be revealed for everyone then you open up a world of trouble. I have already linked to you two stories where someone tracked an individual down to kill them just for beating them at an online game.

Now those individuals had to search very hard to find those details, if you make all identities public online then finding people becomes a great deal easier and so you basically invite further violent crimes.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by grahag
Anonymity drains the credibility from any statement or action unless that statement or action is so profound that it transcends anonymity. If you care about what you say and it's important to you, you'll take the credit for your words and actions.

I'm totally fine with free speech, and yes the ability to say things anonymously has been protected in the past, but secrecy breeds so many things that are detrimental to society as a whole.

Practice what you preach. Re-start your ATS membership using your first, middle, and last names if you really do believe what you are telling me. Otherwise, reconsider whether you are being honest with your self.

What you are missing here is the fact that the internet is a public place, and people do not want everything they say in public to be on record for all to see for an eternity. I would be the very first to stop posting to ATS if I could only do so using my full real name. I do prefer to have things like a decent job, which may quickly disappear if my employer knew I was posting to ATS... a "nonsense conspiracy website for crazies" by some people's opinion. I absolutely don't want my employer knowing what I post to public forums.

I don't want credibility. I want people to question everything I say. People need to be concerned about what is being said rather than who is saying it. While anonymous, I can say pretty much whatever I want at any time without consequence. By my reckoning that is a lot more of a good thing than it is bad thing. In fact I might speak even more freely if each time I posted I posted as simply "anonymous" rather than "truthquest".

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
since when does google own the internet?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces
You are crazy.

What's my name? Don't know? Ok then shut up about the internet not being private

I'm two steps from knowing your name and address - and so is everyone on this site.

Step 1: Get your IP address. This can be done by finding a vulnerability in ATS servers, creating a cross-scripting linked site that you may be interested in (known by reading your posts or profile) which may result in you visiting and being identified by either your input or by steal cookies from your computer, among other means.

Step 2: Contact the ISP that issued your ISP.

Sure, it will take a little social engineering, but it's hardly impossible... especially if you just happen to know someone on the inside or the software they use has some exploits. Of course, even with step 1 complete, you can on average be traced to 5-10 miles of your physical address. I could certainly use information gathered online that you've made available to home in on your person.

... but, I already know other things about you... which would easily aid me in social engineering other answers out of you to "escalate my privilege level" with you... (and mind you, this info took about 10 minutes to find). I bet with more string analysis besides "my job", "age", "leave", "years old" or "I am" that I could find much more.

1) You'd rather use credit/debit cards instead of cash.
2) You're from England
3) You are 24-25 years old.
4) You've considering moving out of country.
5) You dislike the BNP
6) You don't particularly like police
7) You profess to practice martial arts
8) You work/have worked as network admin/security, but aren't very knowledgeable compared to your peers in the field.
9) You don't own a gun, but have an air-rifle
10) You have a picture of yourself at 21 in the bathtub.
11) Phenomenon, Bicentennial Man, Gattaca and the Lion King really touched you emotionally.

I think you get the point mate, I'm a hot 26 year old from London. My favorite movie is the Lion King and I practice Jeet Kune do and specialize in Escrima. I've met Dan Inosanto, actually on my visit to the States. He was really cool. He talked about Bruce lee sometimes. I'm really interested in computer networking but don't understand much.. how does a switch islote ports for VLAN's again? so, can you teach me? Here is a picture of me. I'm pretty attractive but don't know many guys. After we talk awhile, will you give me your name, or do we have to communicate by screen name forever?s Gosh I hate the BNP. Let's talk about it and how I encountered a jerk cop the other day.

Of course IP's log where you go and what you do but it's incredibly easy to circumvent that system, i'm guessing you don't know about computers otherwise you would understand that.

It's not. There is basically one connection from your modem to the network of your ISP. I supposed you subscribe to earthlink and have an AOL dial-up IP on 3 internetz, eh????

If however they force identities to be revealed for everyone then you open up a world of trouble.

Who the hell is "they" ? You're ISP? The millions of web servers you visit? The millions of web-servers that give a damn that ISPs want "real names" ??? You must be forgetting that the internet is made up of nearly 100% private property.

I have already linked to you two stories where someone tracked an individual down to kill them just for beating them at an online game.

... and I've shown that it probably wouldn't be to hard with you. The self-proclaimed network security professional.

Now those individuals had to search very hard to find those details,

Hahahahahahah. Hahahahahah.Hahahahaha.Ha.....ha.... what did they have to do? Pull the sword out of the stone? Recover the lost arc? Seal the hull of the titanic? defeat Godzilla?

No, all they had to do was search forums, social networking sites, and bruteforce passwords of email accounts.

if you make all identities public online then finding people becomes a great deal easier and so you basically invite further violent crimes.

No, if public identities are available online, people stop stupidly giving out all of their private information.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join