It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can You Control Your Dreams?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I recently saw Inception and the movie blew my mind (NO SPOILERS - You can keep
reading). What was great about the movie is that it creates a great discussion
afterward and dream sharing. It opened up a conversation about 2 dreams I had in
which I never shared with anyone. One was a dream in which I felt that I had
complete control over my decision making. My conscious thoughts in my dream
were aware that this was all "a dream". So needless to say I did some pretty crazy
things. Some of the things I did were unspeakable and really not moral, I will admit.
It seemed so real too in relation to the spacial aspects, such as buildings, trees,
gravity etc. and touch, smell and sound as well. Also, I was not viewing myself as a
separate person, it was all through my eyes.

I told my wife of the things I did and she chuckled and was able to understand that it
was just a dream. It was almost as if I was testing everything out. I smashed
windows, walked down the street and carelessly hit people, jumped in a car and
drove it through a building among many other acts that I would NEVER do in this
world. And every time I did one of these things I felt like I made the decision and
followed through, while telling myself it's just a dream, you may never get this
chance again.

Except for 1 other dream like this, most of my dreams are vivid and the WTF
moment happens as I lay in bed and am waking. This dream had the WTF part during.

Has anyone experienced this before?

And more importantly, is it possible that I was dreaming that I had free will?
What I mean is was that feeling of control just part of the dream itself or was
my other consciousnesses aware of my dream happening?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by keepureye2thesky]

For Spelling

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
...yup...dream lucidity is something I've experienced since a child...its not that uncommon for people to have some depth of lucidity within their dream states.

Indeed there are various forms of Therapy that are centred around Lucid Dreaming.

One such is to essentially utilise the dream state to recall past childhood traumas and then reanalyse them with the now *adult* mind.

One facet of trauma therapies - particularly when they are focussed on abuses etc that occured during the persons childhood - is that often the person seeking to recover from them struggles to view them with the more distanced mind of an adult...rather too often they view them with the perceptions they had at the time...

...so often the person 'relives' and 'reviews' those experiences from say, the point of an 8 year old child, again...so it can be more difficult to see the lack of fault on their part, that the abuser holds fault, not them...moving beyond the sense of "it was all my fault", "they were justified in treating me like that", "I was a bad child" etc etc can be easier to achieve when the events of the past can be viewed with the mind of the present...

...don't know if that made any sense...

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Lucid Dreaming by far produces the most exhilarating experiences I have ever had. It is better than the best food I have ever ate, better than any drug experience I have had, better than sex (!)sorry ladies
I feel so alive when I am able to control my dreams. The best part is when you can extend it and prolong the dream for how long you want. The real kicker is when you can choose to wake up, and when you do, it is almost instantaneous, like turning a tv off.

[edit on 8/9/2010 by The Endtime Warrior]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Endtime Warrior
Lucid Dreaming by far produces the most exhilarating experiences I have ever had. It is better than the best food I have ever ate, better than any drug experience I have had, better than sex (sorry ladies :roll
I feel so alive when I am able to control my dreams. The best part is when you can extend it and prolong the dream for how long you want. The real kicker is when you can choose to wake up, and when you do, it is almost instantaneous, like turning a tv off.

How can I experience this again?! I'm not sure how I was able to have this
lucid dream. However the second time I experienced this I had on Steve Vai,
Passion and Warfare record as I layed down. But it did not compare to this
experience.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
This is almost a nightly occurrence for me. For the most part though I let my dreams go on cruise control until I sense something is not right or out of place. Every dream I've ever had that I can remember have been through my eyes. What is a real trip is when you dream in your dream. I also believe that if you learn to control your dreams, it can in fact teach you how to control your own problems in life much easier.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by willzilla]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by keepureye2thesky

Well I am completely absorbed in my mind. As a child I would hold the hand of solipsism and be completely led into the world of daydreaming. Music is something I have used to induce trance states. What I did was focus on the music and it sort of becomes a medium to introduce you to a different reality (the lucid dream) It is sort of like mental exercise. You have to do brain work literally. Im sure some will say it can come naturally, but for those that cannot exercising your brain is a must. Pay attention to your dream signs. Everyone has them. Recognition is important to divide yourself from "thought" and existence.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

Very interesting. I appreciate everyone's input. The other night while falling
sleep, I did start to feel sleep coming and before i knew it, it was morning.
Would you suggest practicing this when not so physically exhausted. In other
words, just a regular day, no stress?

Would you recommend anything as far as music. My library is quite
extensive. Perhaps I need the right mood music? Or can that vary?

Mod Edit: Full quote of preceeding post removed, REPLY TO function used. Please see ABOUT ATS: Warnings for excessive quoting, and how to quote. Thank you - Jak

[edit on 9/8/10 by JAK]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

It's hard for me to suggest any music to you....everyone moves to a different beat. I find dance type music that is "atmospheric" in nature tends to work. I dont mean to toot my own horn but if you can stomach that kind of music please check out the video on my comments page, that has a nice dreamy feel to it, might kind of help. I would suggest not trying these things when physically exhausted. In my experiences anyway when the body is tired, so is the brain, and may put you in deeper than you want to be.

ps Dont rule out metal or rock music either! I have been known to experience some crazy stuff from the power of the guitar. The power of the riff compels me!!!

CX

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by willzilla
This is almost a nightly occurrence for me. For the most part though I let my dreams go on cruise control until I sense something is not right or out of place. Every dream I've ever had that I can remember have been through my eyes.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by willzilla]

Took the words right out of my mouth, this is a regular occurrence for me too. Has been ever since i can remember dreaming as a kid.

CX.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

It's hard for me to suggest any music to you....everyone moves to a different beat. I find dance type music that is "atmospheric" in nature tends to work. I dont mean to toot my own horn but if you can stomach that kind of music please check out the video on my comments page, that has a nice dreamy feel to it, might kind of help. I would suggest not trying these things when physically exhausted. In my experiences anyway when the body is tired, so is the brain, and may put you in deeper than you want to be.

ps Dont rule out metal or rock music either! I have been known to experience some crazy stuff from the power of the guitar. The power of the riff compels me!!!

Awesome! Thanks so much for the info. I really appreciate it. Are you open to U2U if I have some other questions?

I create some trance like, experimental, rock etc music, as a hobby.
Maybe I should consider putting on my own creations to induce.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
For some suggestion for creating Dream Lucidity:

Some people find the usage of such things as Affirmations to be beneficial. Affirmations, those often short sentences that you repeat to yourself numerous times...almost a form of - hate to put it this way - self-brain-washing.

Saying something simple like: "I know when I am dreaming" a few times when you wake, when you have breakfast, when you go to work etc etc throughout the day can help essentially make it 'fact' in your own mind, your own conscious/subconscious.

You may also gain some success by keeping a Dream Journal next to your bed that when you wake you write down anything and everything you can recall from the dreams you had that evening.
Basically what that is doing is reinforcing the desire within yourself to be conscious of your dream states. That can help increase ones lucidity/consciousness when you are dreaming.

There are many other methods people have used such as devices that monitor when you enter REM stages and alert you to that via flashing lights on eye-goggles you wear while sleeping, or vibrations from wristbands etc.
Some find various forms of music help induce such lucidity, others various forms of concoctions you can ingest - I would however caution people here to please be mindful of the ATS 'No Discussion of Illicit Substances' Policy...

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Absolutely. You have any questions, please feel free. Sometimes I would be interested in hearing what you have. Ever heard of Fantomas? Check out Delirivm Cordia. Now that is some mind blowing trance music for dreaming. Loud enough to wake you up in some parts though!

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by alien
Saying something simple like: "I know when I am dreaming" a few times when you wake, when you have breakfast, when you go to work etc etc throughout the day can help essentially make it 'fact' in your own mind, your own conscious/subconscious.

I will be trying this one. Thanks for the suggestion.

You may also gain some success by keeping a Dream Journal next to your bed that when you wake you write down anything and everything you can recall from the dreams you had that evening.
Basically what that is doing is reinforcing the desire within yourself to be conscious of your dream states. That can help increase ones lucidity/consciousness when you are dreaming.

Oddly enough I do write down my dreams. Though now I see it's not so odd.
You guys rule.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Absolutely. You have any questions, please feel free. Sometimes I would be interested in hearing what you have. Ever heard of Fantomas? Check out Delirivm Cordia. Now that is some mind blowing trance music for dreaming. Loud enough to wake you up in some parts though!

Yes Yes Yes!! Fantomas indeed. Big Patton fan.
I have everything from classical to jazz in all its forms, very early underground
street hip hop, african, classic rock, new wave, metal.

Ween, Zappa and Jazz strike me the hardest.

I will be in touch. Gotta run for now.

But I do have some questions floating around.

Again, thanks a ton!

link   
There are websites dedicated to lucid dreaming, complete with tutorial, induction methods, tips and advice, as well as thousands of other people on the same quest as you.

Try Dreamviews.com

link   

For some suggestion for creating Dream Lucidity:

Some people find the usage of such things as Affirmations to be beneficial. Affirmations, those often short sentences that you repeat to yourself numerous times...almost a form of - hate to put it this way - self-brain-washing.

There are many other methods people have used such as devices that monitor when you enter REM stages and alert you to that via flashing lights on eye-goggles you wear while sleeping, or vibrations from wristbands etc.
Some find various forms of music help induce such lucidity, others various forms of concoctions you can ingest - I would however caution people here to please be mindful of the ATS 'No Discussion of Illicit Substances' Policy...

What Alien says is true, sky. I had failed to mention the affirmation part. I've never kept a dream journal but that most definitely helps. Its all about remembering dreams when they are fresh in your mind and exercising that ability. I dont have all the answers, I can only attest to my own dreams, and for all I know I could be doing all the wrong things

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
...oh...another thing:

Dreams/sleep also serves a very fundamental function - rest.

So it pays to be mindful that you don't overdo it when it comes to Dream Lucidity...constantly being alert, aware, *conscious* while dreaming is not necessarily a fantastic thing at all...there are times when simple 'switch off
and just rest' is most certainly needed.

But yes - there is much to the topic of Lucid Dreaming.

There are a number of cultures - such as my own - that view Lucid Dreaming as merely being part of a wider perception and experience

...one that views dreams themselves as not being separate from 'waking states'...one that views the 'dream experience' as also being windows of opportunity for other things - such as astral projection, out of body experiences, dreams being a medium for engagement and interaction on the more ethereal of planes, where we can gather with our tipuna/ancestors, or Atua/God/s, where we exist as spiritual within a spiritual construct and context...

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by keepureye2thesky

How can I experience this again?! I'm not sure how I was able to have this
lucid dream. However the second time I experienced this I had on Steve Vai,
Passion and Warfare record as I layed down. But it did not compare to this
experience.

I have a method that worked well for me in college - I am pretty sure I am going to start using it again - and more thoroughly this time - as I also was inspired by Inception's amazing sets.

I tried several methods - but the method that worked best for me was the digital clock method - since the mind cannot make sense of digital clocks while in the dream state.

(hence when you realize you cannot read the clock - you realize you are now consious enough to control the dream)

1) get a digital watch, clock, or similar time device and keep it with you all day every day.

2) every half hour - or hour - pull out the clock - read the time aloud to yourself - and then ask am I dreaming now? (also aloud)

3) pinch yourself to verify - note - some people skip this step because it could cause you to wake up in the dream.

4) now - the hard part - do this every day without exception. within a few days, weeks, or - like in my case - months you will begin to get good at recognizing when you are asleep and taking control of your dreams on a regular basis.

Please note - as I have found out - when you stop the daily checks the lucid dreams will stop shortly thereafter - you have to keep up the somewhat silly process to make it work regularly.

After a year of two of doing this you may not need the process anymore - don't know for sure - wouldn't be surprised if you didn't tho.

Good Luck - and ENJOY!

Also - please feel free to experiment with different digital clocks if one isn't doing the trick - but know that a normal clock won't work for this process - must be digital!

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
To better understand how to get lucid, I think it's important to look at what happens when you lose lucidity. Aside from waking up, what happens when you lose your lucidity? You accept whatever scenario the dream presents and begin to go along with it. You no longer have the freedom to choose what you want to do, but instead react to everything with preconditioned responses, like you are on auto pilot.

The most common and natural way to achieve lucidity is when you notice something amiss. To achieve ludcidity regularly, you need to cultivate that awareness in your waking life, as well as break up those preconditioned autopilot responses. This is what all lucid induction techniques have in common, be they reality checks, MILD, WILD, or any other of the "ILD" techniques (of which there are many).

The reality check when you look at your watch and question your reality, or question reality every time you walk through a door are good one, but you can take it further than that. The is what Castaneda called "Not doing", and what buddhists call Mindfullness.

Essentially, you take anything you normally do on autopilot without thinking, and do it differently. Like brushing your teeth with your left hand instead of your right, or doing arm curls as you walk up the stairs. This breaks up your autopilot routine and forces you to be more aware of what you're doing. That increased awareness is what will catch those oddities that tip you off that you're dreaming, and less reliance on autopilot mode will lengthen your lucid time.

Of course asking yourself if you're dreaming never hurts either, but don't ask yourself that then slip back to your normal routine. Try to extend that heightened awareness for as long as possible. It get easier the more you do it.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
The user YouAreDreaming has some good threads on dreaming/lucid dreaming that you might want to look at

- Phoenix

top topics

<<   2 >>

join