It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forced to register as a Democrat..prank or organized attempt?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Yes, you read it correctly. I have been a registered Independent since I registered to vote at the age of 18(16 years ago). I have never changed or submitted a party affiliation change in my life. This all started during last years election but I originally chalked it up some sort of computer or clerical error. When i went to vote in the local elections, judges etc., I was handed a democratic primary ballot at the polls. I returned it to the poll worker and told her I wasn't a democrat, that I was independent. She then looked at her log book and low and behold it stated I was a registered democrat. I then proceeded to show her my voter reg card and that i had no party affiliation. She then made a note and told me to re-register as an NPA when I got home. I proceeded to vote NPA and went home. I recieved an updated card and confirmation 2 weeks later.

This past February arrives and in the mail I recieved a letter and a card, this time claiming I was registered as a democrat. I promptly called the elections supervisor's office, and she confirmed that a "change of affiliation" request was recieved via thier website and processed about a week prior. Once again, she switched me back and I recieved my updated registration and card soon thereaafter.

Needless to say this happened twice more, the latest happening just about 12 days ago. Yesterday I physically went to the local election's office with all of the mail correspondence I had recieved about this dating back to last year. I was told that remarks were going to be made on my file to not change party affiliations unless it was done in office, ID verification required. The office manager there to me that the number of complaints for this very thing were starting to rise in the past 4 months or so. And that a larger investigation was being tabled by the oversight committee.

Now I did get my situation handled but I am wondering to what ends is this being done. It seems to be an organized effort, or maybe a large-scale prank. I don't know if the other complaints were being forced to dem or repub. And generally speaking if you get to the polls and something isn't correct with what they have in the logbooks you can verify and correct it and vote the proper affiliation. So my question is what the hell is going on and why? As I said I don't know if this is an organized political thing or just some pranks done via the internet. Anyone else had anything like this happen?

[edit on 3-8-2010 by djvexd]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

Well, this is Florida!

I don't see how changing your party affiliation helps anybody. I typically vote independent, but I registered Republican just to take part in the Primaries.

I wonder what benefit there would be for a party by padding the registrations in their favor?

If they were successful in changing you without you noticing, and then you voted Independent or Republican the efforts would be for nothing.

Scary development though. Florida Voter fraud is notorious. Not as bad as Detroit/Chicago, but still pretty bad!

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
May also just be lazy staff. They probably have a Repub/Dem radio button they pick for entering someone into the system and there may be a slightly more click-happy process to register someone in as NPA.

So, rather than fool with that, just press the top one which by alphabetical order is "Democrat".

I've worked with a lot of municipal workers and this not far-stretched.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I find this very interesting. If anyone can go to the website and request a change of party status, And they act on this then anyone can do anything.

I suggest someone request a change of Obama's party to Republican

You state,

The office manager there to me that the number of complaints for this very thing were starting to rise in the past 4 months or so. And that a larger investigation was being tabled by the oversight committee.

Did you say this right? You do know that when a committee tables something this means they kill the idea for a time. Is that what you meant to say.. that they are refusing to look into this matter..

If true.. then they might be in on wide scale fraud and this is no prank indeed.

I suggest everyone check their status and see how many ATS members this has happened to.. We might uncover something massive here.

[edit on 3-8-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Yeah that is exactly what was said to me, though it is possible she had scant idea what tabling meant, because the overall theme of her end of the conversation was that it had caught the attention of the oversight board locally and there were rumblings of an investigation. She probably just meant that it is being looked into, though now that you mention that, I will try and keep an eye on the situation a little more closely. I was thinking possible jerrymandering (sp?). Though I don't quite know when districts are slated to be re-drawn.

Also the fact that fraud is rampant here is also worrisome. Though like I said you can verify and fix any type of mistakes at the polls, so unless someone was banking on people not paying attention.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Call me ignorant, but if you're registered as a Democrat instead of a Republican or an independent what difference does it make? What's the advantage of registering, etc?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeftWingLarry
Call me ignorant, but if you're registered as a Democrat instead of a Republican or an independent what difference does it make? What's the advantage of registering, etc?

That made me curious too. In Canada you register as a voter, just for the purpose of being able to vote. Ready to change your mind at any time. And we consider our votes private, in the US it seems to define many people.

Plus the US system seems to be more open to voter fraud. Something that should be very straight forward has been made very confusing.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

It makes a difference depending on which state you live in and whether that state has an
Open or Closed Primary election.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I would keep an eye on this, seeking out others who are indepenant and start asking questions. It sounds like they are about to redraw district lines and to justify increasing areas to make it perdomanitately one party or the other is what is going on.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

not ignorant.
if a party Democrat. sees that they are wining. they will not try as har. thinking they are winning. the one loseing will try harder.
if its in the news that Democrat are winning.
others will think about voteing for them.
sheep follow.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha

not ignorant.
if a party Democrat. sees that they are wining. they will not try as har. thinking they are winning. the one loseing will try harder.
if its in the news that Democrat are winning.
others will think about voteing for them.
sheep follow.

Strange. Here in the UK many people like to root for the underdog.

Edit: And are you saying people in the USA have to register who they're voting for before they vote?

[edit on 7-8-2010 by LeftWingLarry]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

It makes a difference depending on which state you live in and whether that state has an
Open or Closed Primary election.

I don't really know what they mean, either.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

And are you saying people in the USA have to register who they're voting for before they vote?

Some states require you to register as one or the other to vote in the primaries so they know which ballot to give you.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna

And are you saying people in the USA have to register who they're voting for before they vote?

Some states require you to register as one or the other to vote in the primaries so they know which ballot to give you.

Thanks. Oh, that sounds reasonable enough. If you're registered 'Independent', who do you receive a ballot for? Do you even take part in the primaries?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by LeftWingLarry

I'm not sure, actually. My state doesn't require you register as anything other than a voter, they just ask you at the polls which ballot you want for the primary. It's a good question though, so hopefully someone who knows can answer it for both of us.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Wiki

An open primary is a primary election that does not require voters to be affiliated with a political party in order to vote for partisan candidates. In a traditional open primary, voters may select one party's ballot and vote for that party's nomination. As in a closed primary, the highest voted candidate in each party then proceeds to the runoff election. In a nonpartisan blanket primary, all candidates appear on the same ballot and the two highest voted candidates proceed to the runoff, regardless of party affiliation.

Wiki

A closed primary is a type of direct primary limited to registered party members who have declared their party affiliation, in order to vote in the election. The closed primary serves to encourage party unity and prevent members of other parties from voting for a candidate they don't support in order to disrupt the election results. Voters must choose only one ballot. This system is opposed to a open primaries system where voters do not have to declare their party affiliation in. Therefore, in open primaries, voters receive the same ballot, which contain the candidates' names from all political parties.

Basically, if the state is a closed primary state, you can only vote for the candidate of the party you are registered to. However, you can switch parties anytime, as long as you do so by the deadlines for the primary and general elections.

Example: if one is registered independant but wishes to vote for the democrat or republican or green party, etc. primary candidate (instead of the independant candidate) that voter needs to re-register to the other party. In general elections, this does not matter as any registered voter can vote for either candidate.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I see, thanks for answering.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Yeah generally speaking, up until the presidential elections I have no vote except for local judges and non-partisan offices. Thank you all for your replies and clearing things up. I can vote between 3 parties but not for the candidates trying to become the primary one for that party. In Florida, they redraw the disctrict representation lines (called jerrymandering) on a basis depending on party rolls in population centers. This is the only rational explanation I can think of , however the effort far outweighs the result.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by djvexd]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I'm registered Independent in New Mexico and I can't vote in primaries.

It's a price we pay, I suppose.

I think you need to go to the registrar's office and have a face to face discussion with someone of authority. You can then verify the requirements and your affiliations.

I think you should call and try to make an appointment.

Failing that, I'd just show up and be prepared to wait until someone talks to you.

If that doesn't work, write the appropriate legislator.

[edit on 2010/8/7 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
With all due respect Mr. Phillpott I did, as a prior post stated. As I have also stated the representation changes regularly based on voter doles, so legislators don't do S here. It is all left to the Supervior of elections and the oversight board.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join