It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which countries other than Afghanistan treat women terribly?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Come on guys, let's all hug and make up. No need for this confusing debate anymore.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

If people could stay on topic this could actually be a pretty interesting thread with examples of terrible treatment of women in countries other than Afghanistan, which would help prove that the war there has nothing to do with helping women.

Instead some people decided to use this thread as some sort of Dr. Phil show or therapy session for their own tribulations which seem trivial compared to what women are going through in certain countries.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diplomat

It asks for examples of countries other than Afghanistan that treat women terribly.

To put the United States on the same list as Afghanistan in regards to treatment of women is simply ridiculous, to say the least.

No, your title was a quesiton. Just because you think to compare women of Afghanistan with women in the west, is ridiculous, doesn't make it so.

You asked what other countries, and you have received valid answers, whether or not you agree with them.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Diplomat

You're so right. It was never about women, despite the convenient use of portions of Beneath the Veil as a propaganda piece to sway opinion and give people a reason they could support to enter an illegal war of choice. We are pals with the Taliban...both during the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan and now again. We didn't help women in Afghanistan by going in there. On the contrary, we destroyed all the progress they've made since the 80s by bombing them back into the darker ages. This was as evident in 2001 as it is now.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Exactly. And people seem to be forgetting about the boogey-man Osama Bin Ladin. Maybe that is why they are ramping up this new "help the women of Afghanistan" campaign... so that when someone speaks out against the war they are ridiculed for "not caring about women." lol

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Instead some people decided to use this thread as some sort of Dr. Phil show or therapy session for their own tribulations which seem trivial compared to what women are going through in certain countries.

I guess you would have to be there, to make a judgement call such as this.

Have you lived in Afghanistan? You live in Sacramento, according to your profile. How should women be treated in Sacramento, and are they all treated correctly, according to your standards?

Is it ok for a woman to be treated badly, anywhere?

It's all relative, and living in one place anywhere in the world, should not be acceptable to the bad treatment of anyone, be it man, woman, or child!

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
OK we have come to the conclusion that both of you have a different view of what the question in OP means.

Blanca has shared her view, and it is valid from her perspective.

Diplomat has shared his view that what Blanca says is not valid.

Both of you will stick to your view of the situation, so this debate will continue on forever with no end. Therefore it would be wise to simply accept Blanca's comment, valid or not and move on with the thread.

One thing is for sure...you two have chemistry haha

[edit on 2-8-2010 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
We could also invade Native American Reservations...... 1/3 are sexually assaulted and discriminated against painfully...

Well....we could actually invade a whole bunch of places!

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

I can guarantee you that women are treated 100000 times better in Sacramento in general than they are treated in places such as Afghanistan.

Like I said, to bring up the United States in this discussion is pretty ignorant. Sure, women get raped in the U.S. and bossed around by their husbands, but that is nothing compared to what is going on in certain third world countries that our military SHOULD ALSO be helping if that was REALLY what these wars were all about.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Here, I will try to provide something of relevance to keep the thread on track:

Here is an article I just found titled "Pakistan sentences woman to be stoned to death for "illicit relations": walking together with a man."

www.jihadwatch.org...

So if these wars are all about helping women, then why aren't we invading and liberating Pakistan?

Well that is not the greatest example. Why? Because unfortunately we WILL BE invading Pakistan very soon.... and I'm sure they will throw the same propaganda in our faces as to why we are there.

[edit on 2-8-2010 by Diplomat]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I don't think war in Afghanistan has anything to do with the treatment of women. You are referencing a change in political rhetoric which alludes to badly treated women becoming a reason to continue the fighting. Reporting from the UK here, there's no such change in propaganda. If anything we are getting more military censored reports of the latest offensive Operation Black Prince

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

Well I am speaking from the perspective of an American in California.

I follow most of the mainstream news agencies' twitter accounts, and the last couple of days I have seen countless posts about the treatment of women in Afghanistan, and that being a main reason why we must remain at war there.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Could you forward me a link or two so as I can get a fuller picture of what is being reported?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Like I said, to bring up the United States in this discussion is pretty ignorant. Sure, women get raped in the U.S. and bossed around by their husbands, but that is nothing compared to what is going on in certain third world countries that our military SHOULD ALSO be helping if that was REALLY what these wars were all about.

So, our troops should get killed to handle domestic abuse situations? Is that what this is all about? LOL, yeah, right!

This, is supposedly why war is justified in Afghanistan. It was never about human rights, or how women are treated.

www.abovetopsecret.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">www.abovetopsecret.com... action=reply&fid=10&tid=599393&repquote=9336065

The first phase of the war was the aftermath of the attacks of September 11, 2001, when the United States launched Operation Enduring Freedom, to remove the safe haven to Al-Qaeda and its use of the Afghan territory as a base of operations for terrorist activities.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

So, our troops should get killed to handle domestic abuse situations? Is that what this is all about? LOL, yeah, right!

What? NO, the military is not to be used to help with domestic issues, that is the damn point here. They want us to BELIEVE that is why we are in Afghanistan... but in reality, that is NOT the reason.

Why is all of this so hard for you to comprehend?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Every country (or place) that ever existed. No woman is treated perfectly everywhere. That's life and our human history.

Except maybe themyscera (Wonder woman's homeland).

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by muftanan

I didn't ask "Where are women treated perfectly?"

I asked, "Where other than Afghanistan are women treated TERRIBLY?"

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Well feel free, to call the White House, and straighten them all up. Yep, call the Prez, and let him know exactly what you think the troops should be in Afghanistan for. Tell them, whomever, you talk to, that human rights involve domestic abuse of women, and that the religion of the country, that prescribes how women should be treated is all wrong, and THAT is the reason we should be there.

Before you get sent up the river though, let us ATS members know where to find you, so we can contribute to your snack fund.

Human rights should be at the forefront, nobody would disagree with that, at all, but that is not why we are there. We have been given some other dumb reason, which is just as bad as the abuse of women.

You know why we are there, and for what. So, you are baiting!

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

I don't even really know what it is that you're going on about... can you just please stop addressing me? Thanks.

[edit on 2-8-2010 by Diplomat]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Instead some people decided to use this thread as some sort of Dr. Phil

Yea we did, sorry diplo,

But yes here it happens but is illegal, and no there is no comparison.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join