It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which countries other than Afghanistan treat women terribly?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I have noticed that the mainstream media's current war propaganda is basically that we are occupying Afghanistan because we are helping to liberate the women of that country.

This might have a tiny bit to do with it, but we all understand the bigger picture concerning the wars in the middle east.

So my question to our international community here is: Which OTHER countries also treat their women terribly?

I would like to see which countries are named, if any.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
US

According to NPR, “In 2003, a survey of female veterans found that 30 percent said they were raped in the military. A 2004 study of veterans who were seeking help for post-traumatic stress disorder found that 71 percent of the women said they were sexually assaulted or raped while serving. And a 1995 study of female veterans of the Gulf and earlier wars, found that 90 percent had been sexually harassed.”

newsjunkiepost.com...

Iraq

Women's Rights Put on Hold
No accurate numbers are available, but rape and kidnapping cases in the past six months run well into the thousands.

"We never had this kind of problem under Saddam," Ahmed says. "We could walk outside, alone, and late into the night. Not any more."

ipsnews.net...

[edit on 2-8-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Diplomat

The US.

Women are not only suppose to look gorgeous, they are also supposed to give birth, and hold jobs down, so as to suppliment the family income, while doing all the laundry, and cooking, clreaning, etc...

The only difference with western women, is that we wear invisible veils in the guise of equality!

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
i think we over here in the west need to remember that it wasnt long ago a womans place was in the kitchen. when they couldnt vote. when giving the wife a slap for not having dinner on the table at the right time was brushed under the rug. when women that had childeren without the father were called whores and there childeren bastards and very often sent away because of the shame it had brought on their families. hell women still make less money than men for doing the same job and domestic violence is a massive problem here. rape is also a massive problem here however conviction rates are fairly low. i think a better question would be what country's treat women well?

on another note i'v noticed that this liberating opressd women thing has been touted quite a bit as one of the reasons were in afganistan.... silly me i thought it was to capture bin laden !

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by danielhanson420

on another note i'v noticed that this liberating opressd women thing has been touted quite a bit as one of the reasons were in afganistan.... silly me i thought it was to capture bin laden !

They will do anything to distract the public from the real reasons that the U.S. (proxy) military is in the middle east.

As far as this discussion goes, I was referring more to the type of treatment such as being stoned to death for being raped and things of that sort... not just having to do laundry or be in the kitchen. Anyone know of countries out there where TERRIBLE things are still happening to women?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
What do you mean?

Every country treats EVERYBODY like crap.

You're not going to find a Utopia where nobody is abused, neglected and put down etc..

Women as second class citizens has been the societal norm for hundreds of years, and it's only changed recently, very recently at that.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

No country is perfect by any stretch, and though I know this thread is another not-so-closeted attempt to America bash, I would say that until you've lived in the Sudan, the DRC, a border area in Pakistan or any number of others at the bottom of this link...

neeshu.com...

... quit your whining about how much western society "oppresses" women. Jesus H. Christ...

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Of course you are not going to find a "Utopian" country, but some places in the world obviously treat women a lot worse than others.

I'm looking for someone who has personal insight into a small country, like I don't know, something like Myanmar or a tiny African country, where terrible things are happening to women but we don't hear much about it from the mainstream media.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Female Genital Mutilation

Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) is a cultural practice that started in Africa approximately 2000 years ago. It is primarily a cultural practice, not a religious practice. But some religions do include FGM as part of their practices. This practice is so well ingrained into these cultures, it defines members of these cultures. In order to eliminate the practice one must eliminate the cultural belief that a girl will not become a women without this procedure.

What is Female Genital Mutilation?

Female Genital Mutilation is the term used for removal of all or just part of the external parts of the female genitalia. There are three varieties to this procedure.
Sunna Circumcision - consists of the removal of the prepuce(retractable fold of skin, or hood) and /or the tip of the clitoris. Sunna in Arabic means "tradition".
Clitoridectomy - consists of the removal of the entire clitoris (prepuce and glands) and the removal of the adjacent labia.
Infibulation(pharonic circumcision)-- consists of performing a clitoridectomy (removal of all or part of the labia minora, the labia majora). This is then stitched up allowing a small hole to remain open to allow for urine and menstrual blood to flow through.

www.members.tripod.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5776c6024515.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
The pendulum swung in favor of men many Millenia ago, soon it will swing back , mark my word.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diplomat
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Of course you are not going to find a "Utopian" country, but some places in the world obviously treat women a lot worse than others.

I'm looking for someone who has personal insight into a small country, like I don't know, something like Myanmar or a tiny African country, where terrible things are happening to women but we don't hear much about it from the mainstream media.

Well I agree with you, but it just sounded like a silly question to me.

I worked in Kenya for a little bit and you should see what women, particularily lesbians have to go through.

They group rape them, in order to "fix" them into being straight. That or mutilations of the vagina among many other things.

Although now I hear there is more and more foreigners pushing the government for more equal rights and protection agencies for women, which is great.

Still not where I'd like to see it though..

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Legion2112

I am 54 years old, and have lived it.

I was never allowed to go anywhere without approval from a husband, including my current one.

I have never been able to put away, for myself, any money I have earned, it has always been handed over to the man of the family.

I have never been able to hire a maid, to take care of the chores I need to to, after working an 8 or 10 hour day. I am always the first person up. Taking care of the children, and everything else, in the household. I fix the washing machine when it sucks stuff into the drum. I unclog the dishwasher hoses. I have no hats, but I wear many, and high heels, too!

I am told what to wear, that is acceptable, outside of when I am at home.

While I don't have to do laundry by beating our clothing on rocks, and have never been told to wear a veil, I can tell you, it's just about as bad, considering this is the west.

I don't appreciate you putting a light spin, on how wonderful it is for women in the west.

It's just as bad, only you don't believe it!

edit typo

[edit on 2-8-2010 by Blanca Rose]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

The US.

Women are not only suppose to look gorgeous, they are also supposed to give birth, and hold jobs down, so as to suppliment the family income, while doing all the laundry, and cooking, clreaning, etc...

The only difference with western women, is that we wear invisible veils in the guise of equality!

Add to that, that most of them still are not paid the same as a man doing the same job.
And when she takes her car to the repair shop the mechanic is likely to find a lot more that needs to be fixed, than he would if a man had brought the car in.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

WOW. I have been married twice the first one beat me, my now husband of 35 years was pretty hard on me too in the beginning, but now I run the show and take care of the finances, I put my foot down,

we get along just fine now.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

And when she takes her car to the repair shop the mechanic is likely to find a lot more that needs to be fixed, than he would if a man had brought the car in.

I believe this to be true, I always tell my husband to take care of such issues even my landlord treats me disrespectfully.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Oddly, the US hasn't made any lists of worst places for women yet.

There is the list Legion2112 linked a few posts up.

10 worst countries for women

There are more..

The group CARE released this list of what it considers the 10 worst countries for women..

Women's worst world-wide
1. Afghanistan
2. Somalia
3. Congo
4. Sierra Leone
5. Niger
6. Yemen
7. Bangladesh
8. Mali
9. Burkina Faso
10. Guinea-Bissau

There are other lists floating around - a few of the countries vary a little - but the same names keep showing up.. Afghanistan, Congo, Yemen, Somolia, etc.

I'd guess those that show up on most of the lists would be the ones most would agree are "the worst"

[edit on 2-8-2010 by Frogs]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Well this second one for me, and I waited a long time to get re-married, is out the door, on and off, because I tried to put my foot down.

I have the pleasure of writing out all the bills, and balancing the checkbook, but my name is not even on the bank account.

People think women have an issue with spending? OMG, my husband is a shopaholic, and I can't stop him.

This sucks, I don't even have $5.00 in my wallet most the time, but I do everything!

I'd love to rip Gloria Steinem a new one!

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
How is this getting so off-topic?

This thread is not about the injustices and inequalities still taking place in America or the "west."

This thread is to prove a point: THE WAR IN AFGHANISTAN HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH "HELPING WOMEN," because obviously there are other countries in the world where women are treated just as terribly, BUT WE ARE NOT INVADING THEM. We will not invade those other countries, because the middle east occupations have nothing to do with helping women.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by OhZone

I believe this to be true, I always tell my husband to take care of such issues even my landlord treats me disrespectfully.

That's also partly your fault though.

I mean, I raised a girl to not take that condescending crap from anybody and if somebody tried to call them out and make them feel like an idiot.

You should be more proactive and do these things yourself. The world won't change if you continue the status quo you know.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Well, you are fooling yourself. The war in Afghanistan was never about women, or humans for that fact.

It everything to do with control of assets in the country, and what they would do for other countries economies.

Perhaps your title is off topic, because the war has never, nor never will have anything to do with any human rights.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join