It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which countries other than Afghanistan treat women terribly?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
reply to post by Diplomat

Well, you are fooling yourself. The war in Afghanistan was never about women, or humans for that fact.

What do you mean I'm fooling myself, you are reiterating my point. That IS my point, that the war in Afghanistan was never about women. I don't see how I'm fooling myself here.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

The title of the thread has asked what other countries treat women badly.

You have gotten answers. How is that off topic?

If you don't like the answers, to how women are treated other places, then, that is your problem, and don't call anyone on it who has replied.

They are replying to the thread topic title, and article.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

People think women have an issue with spending? OMG, my husband is a shopaholic, and I can't stop him.

Same here, I had to take over. wild.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I guess things have to be laid out in perfect crystal clear form around here now... so allow me to elaborate:

As I have been keeping up with mainstream news the last couple of days I have noticed a new campaign that is unfolding which is trying to evoke sympathy from Americans by claiming that the main reason that we are at war in Afghanistan is to help or liberate the women of that country.

The cover of the new TIME magazine even has a picture of an Afghan woman with her nose cut off by the Taliban.

The point this thread is supposed to make is that the war has nothing to do with helping women!

I wanted people to share some information about how terribly women are treated in their home countries so that other people could make the observation of "Hmm, gee, why isn't the U.S. up in arms about the treatment of women in THAT country as well?"

BECAUSE THE WARS HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH HELPING WOMEN, that's why.

Hopefully this is all crystal clear now, let me know if I need to explain it even more.

[edit on 2-8-2010 by Diplomat]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

There is more to a thread than just the thread title, it's called the original post. In that post I am obviously baiting people to prove a certain point, sorry it went over your head.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

You should be more proactive and do these things yourself.

well actually I take a very active role in many instances,

If I ask my landlord to fix something he wont do it, if my husband ask it gets done.

some people are just jerks.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

BECAUSE THE WARS HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH HELPING WOMEN

I don't think it has anything to do with helping women either, but I hope by some act of fate it helps them.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diplomat

There is more to a thread than just the thread title, it's called the original post. In that post I am obviously baiting people to prove a certain point, sorry it went over your head.

What are you trolling for, with your bait?

You asked, you got answers, so?

Obviously, I didn't fall for your bait, and stated what I thought.

Every now and then, one of us escape hooks!

If you wanted your thread to go a certain direction, and didn't say what direction, well, then, it's specific to women! And you have heard a few of us on your thread!

If you want this to be about sexism alive an well, the whole world round, you have succeeded!

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Unfortunately, I think you are still COMPLETELY missing the point here. lol

Like I said already, my "bait" was supposed to prove a point, the point that the wars in the middle east have nothing to do with helping women. This point was supposed to be illustrated by people who have knowledge of women being treated terribly in countries other than Afghanistan.

I don't think a husband telling a wife what to do in the United States is anywhere near the terrible treatment of women that happens in other countries, so all of those posts in this thread are basically irrelevant.

Next some chick from Los Angeles is going to come in here and say, "The United States treats women terribly too! My husband won't even let me go out to dance clubs at night! Such a terrible life!" Get a clue.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   

I said, very early on that the war had nothing to do with women's rights, let alone any sort of human rights.

So?

It isn't over the head of any of us, what you think you are trying to do.

So, admittedly, your title is a sham, you are self admittedly baiting people, and hmmmm, disreguard the rules of the T&C in all of that?

Way to go!

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

My title is not a sham, and I am not baiting people for some sort of spam or negative reason. You seem to view the word "bait" as negative for some reason. "Baiting" can be used to lead people into an important and informative discussion.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Well, I for one am confused.
two lines

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

You should be more proactive and do these things yourself.

well actually I take a very active role in many instances,

If I ask my landlord to fix something he wont do it, if my husband ask it gets done.

some people are just jerks.

Yeah, you didn't strike me as the quiet, subversive type, I thought you meant you had him doing it because you were afraid or knew you would not be taken seriously.

As long as you are making the effort there's nothing else you can do right?

Yes, some people are just jerks.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Okay, I'll say it again - no country is perfect in how it treats women... that is to say, there's room for improvement. That being said, however...

I find it highly dubious that you've "lived" it. Lived in an area where you're daily life is rife with fear that you would be gang raped by militants... lived in fear that your genitalia would be mutilated without your consent or lived in an area where you could be found guilty of a crime if you were the one that was raped. If you had, an objective look at there vs. here would tell you that here is better, albeit not perfect.

If you do currently live in the West and your diatribe is typical of your daily life, then I would say it's not the fault of western society that you can't get out of a bad marriage... since that option is most definitely available to you. I'm sorry if that's harsh or in any way cruel, but if true, it's a fact regardless of how "complicated" it may be... in those other forementioned places, it is not.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

My title is not a sham, and I am not baiting people for some sort of spam or negative reason. You seem to view the word "bait" as negative for some reason. "Baiting" can be used to lead people into an important and informative discussion.

You said a couple of posts ago, you were baiting. Go back and read it.

The psychological game you are playing, is an epic fail.

I will say, women in certain parts of the world, do have it far rougher than other places, in regards to your title. Some women in the western world, have it bad, also.

It's bad all over the world for a lot of people, not just specifically women.

If one type of person has no rights, sure to follow, be it a child or a man, they don't have many rights either.

Think about it!

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Yes, some people are just jerks.

Yea,

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Legion2112

I got raped when I lived in Wrigleyville, in Chicago. I was molested by a neighbor from the time I was 5 until about 10 or 11, while living in a wealthy, north shore Chicago burb. (John Hughes land)

Just because America is not a worn torn country, doesn't mean we aren't subjected to some of the same abuse here.

[edit on 2-8-2010 by Blanca Rose]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

You said a couple of posts ago, you were baiting. Go back and read it.

The psychological game you are playing, is an epic fail.

I will say, women in certain parts of the world, do have it far rougher than other places, in regards to your title. Some women in the western world, have it bad, also.

It's bad all over the world for a lot of people, not just specifically women.

If one type of person has no rights, sure to follow, be it a child or a man, they don't have many rights either.

Think about it!

Why are you pointing out that I said I was baiting a few posts ago? Did I deny saying that? NO.

You are simply misunderstanding the PURPOSE of the baiting. You seem to think baiting is some sort of evil nefarious process.

Let's stop arguing now and see if anyone else can actually contribute something of relevance to this thread.

For example: "Hi, I'm a woman living in (insert third world country here). I have seen women being beaten and stoned in the streets for practically nothing!"

There we go! That would actually be what I was looking for and could help illustrate the point that the Afghanistan war has nothing to do with helping women because odds are the U.S. military is not invading whichever third world country that person might have named. Do you see how that is much different than "My husband is a jerk." ?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
So, is the thread about how western women are treated or the abuse of women in Afghanistan to promote an upscaling in war efforts?

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

The original post says nothing about "western."

It asks for examples of countries other than Afghanistan that treat women terribly.

To put the United States on the same list as Afghanistan in regards to treatment of women is simply ridiculous, to say the least.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join