It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar flare heading towards earth -nasa

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Massive solar flare heading towards earth

Just rec,d notification from NASA of a massive complicated solar flare that is directed towards earth.

More soon

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Do you have a link to this news. This is so little info???

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
BIG EVENTS ON THE SUN: This morning around 0855 UT, Earth orbiting satellites detected a C3-class solar flare. The origin of the blast was sunspot 1092. At about the same time, an enormous magnetic filament stretching across the sun's northern hemisphere erupted. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory recorded the action:

Click to launch a 304 Å movie

The timing of these events suggest they are connected, and a review of SDO movies strengthens that conclusion. Despite the ~400,000 km distance between them, the sunspot and filament seem to erupt together; they are probably connected by long-range magnetic fields. In this movie (171 Å), a shadowy shock wave (a "solar tsunami") can be seen emerging from the flare site and rippling across the northern hemisphere into the filament's eruption zone. That may have helped propel the filament into space.

In short, we have just witnessed a complex global eruption involving almost the entire Earth-facing side of the sun.

A coronal mass ejection (CME) produced by the event is heading directly for Earth: SOHO movie. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras when it arrives on or about August 3rd.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Here is the link:

Link to Article

WOW!!

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Hopefully this means that I won't have to go to work tomorrow because the entire power grid will go down. I'll make sure to keep my fingers crossed

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I have a feeling this one will reach a little sooner. I say tomorrow tomorrow sometime

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
And a nice time for the space station to have lost one of it's cooling systems. It's on a back-up cooling system now, and serveral heat-producing systems shut down to assist keeping cool.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Could do some damage this one.

Hate to be sitting up there in a tin can when this passes through !

[edit on 1-8-2010 by Did you see them]

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
First, the solar flare is what occurred at about 09:00 UTC. It was a C3 flare (not particularly impressive) and it originated from sunspot 1092, which is not directed at Earth at the moment.

The CME (not the same thing as a solar flare) does seem to be directed in our direction (though somewhat above us) but is not particularly "massive" either. It can be seen from STEREO A.

Our friends at higher latitudes may get a nice light show in a few days.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
It's only a C3 class flare. Nothing to worry about really. Now if there was a high M or X class solar flare, then yes there would be.

Scientists classify solar flares according to their x-ray brightness in the wavelength range 1 to 8 Angstroms. There are 3 categories: X-class flares are big; they are major events that can trigger planet-wide radio blackouts and long-lasting radiation storms. M-class flares are medium-sized; they can cause brief radio blackouts that affect Earth's polar regions. Minor radiation storms sometimes follow an M-class flare. Compared to X- and M-class events, C-class flares are small with few noticeable consequences here on Earth.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

As I have said before starocology is not my bag baby.

Lil question though, should I insulate my laptop, and about how long till I have to do it?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Well, I'll certainly be on the lookout for earthquakes in the next few days either way.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by Phage

As I have said before starocology is not my bag baby.

Lil question though, should I insulate my laptop, and about how long till I have to do it?
Yes you should,..
by tuesday
waste no time

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

[edit on 1-8-2010 by Zeta Reticulan]

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Your laptop is in no danger.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Sun was orange this afternoon. Is that normal for a solar flare?

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Thanks for posting, I watch soho daily and missed this one due to being sick yesterday and most of today.

I thought that when a cme heads earth's way, we would see a halo effect as it leaves the sun, I didn't see that on the video. Wonder it the filiment going off at the same time is why???

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Kojiro

No, that's normal for air pollution.
Ah...the Tacoma Aroma.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Kojiro

No, that's normal for air pollution.
Ah...the Tacoma Aroma.

Tacoma hasn't been like that in ages since the liberals clamped down on things and the sun has never looked like this. That's why I noticed. Usually the light on my wall is a nice, bright white. Today the wall was illuminated with orange and I looked out and sure enough, the sun was freaking orange. Usually it's a hot white that I can't look at because it'll ... well, you know the reason.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Well, the prime time news claims it was smoke from the British Columbia fires way up north. Then proceeds to contradict itself by claiming the wind pressure is blowing north.

What?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join