It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers shut down EU carbon-trading website

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
"Like not inviting your neighbors to the biggest party of the year and leave them stuck with the mess..... NOT COOL"

Great video, hope it does it's purpose

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Well it was funny.
It would have been funnier if their headquarters around the world simultaneously exploded in a controlled demolition.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen
reply to post by WHOS READY

THANK YOU HACKERS!!

Thank you who's ready? for posting this thread.

I join you in your prayer with all my heart and soul.

Please I don't want to be a pain but don't misunderstand the difference between hackers, crackers and script kiddies... Site defacing is an art of kiddies, the simple act of blaming this act on hackers will be and is insulting for the people that really worth the nickname.

Hackers are people with deep passion for technology and especially how things works they usualy are "BUILDERS" when it comes to the internet and technology... You owe the internet as it is to hackers...

Crackers: Are people with the skills but more oriented toward profit from the use of their skill than the satisfaction of having "created" something or advanced technology a step further... Well you don't really owe them nothing they likely owe you money they stole from your credit card...

Script Kiddies: (a.k.a morons) Are kids that DON'T know how to code and have no interest in learning and just wanna screw with things they don't understand in first place... They don't have their own tools, cannot find exploits even in the most basic forms... They are usually oriented in "trying to show off"... they are those that will often deface website's main page and will leave messages like "Y0 g0t pwn3d by d4 hax0rs sup4 3l3373 t0tal h4ck0s0rus r3x g4ng" and have NO CLUE where leet speak began why it was used... and why its useless today... and use it because it "looks cool" when they don't know that back then it was useful to get around world filtering systems on old BBS's... You owe then a foot up the rear for just being retards

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Well it was funny.
It would have been funnier if their headquarters around the world simultaneously exploded in a controlled demolition.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I love hearing stories like this.

GO EARTH FIRST!

Carbon trading IS a scam, not because global warming is a hoax (which it's not) but because it's just a ruse by corporate lobbyists to pretend they're cutting emissions when they're just shifting the numbers.

It's good to see some of this "digital direct action" sending a clear, strong, and funny message to the elites.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by _R4t_

Originally posted by wcitizen
reply to post by WHOS READY

THANK YOU HACKERS!!

Thank you who's ready? for posting this thread.

I join you in your prayer with all my heart and soul.

Please I don't want to be a pain but don't misunderstand the difference between hackers, crackers and script kiddies... Site defacing is an art of kiddies, the simple act of blaming this act on hackers will be and is insulting for the people that really worth the nickname.

Hackers are people with deep passion for technology and especially how things works they usualy are "BUILDERS" when it comes to the internet and technology... You owe the internet as it is to hackers...

Crackers: Are people with the skills but more oriented toward profit from the use of their skill than the satisfaction of having "created" something or advanced technology a step further... Well you don't really owe them nothing they likely owe you money they stole from your credit card...

Script Kiddies: (a.k.a morons) Are kids that DON'T know how to code and have no interest in learning and just wanna screw with things they don't understand in first place... They don't have their own tools, cannot find exploits even in the most basic forms... They are usually oriented in "trying to show off"... they are those that will often deface website's main page and will leave messages like "Y0 g0t pwn3d by d4 hax0rs sup4 3l3373 t0tal h4ck0s0rus r3x g4ng" and have NO CLUE where leet speak began why it was used... and why its useless today... and use it because it "looks cool" when they don't know that back then it was useful to get around world filtering systems on old BBS's... You owe then a foot up the rear for just being retards

No no no... there is a difference between "Script Kiddie" vandals who simply do it for mischievous and pointless kicks and activist hackers who use this sort of intelligent site hijacking to send a message. It's the difference between "hack the planet" and "1 4m l33t h4x0rz!!11"

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
I disagree completely, every little event like this does not help, it just validates the Government's argument that the net must be regulated. Every little event like THAT would help, this event is nothing more than a nuisance and gives the Government every reason to restrict the internet.

I don't see that as a nuisance I see it as a warning, The Government will try to restrict the internet but it wont work, the shear scale of the net is mind boggling, they don't have and never will have the power to control the net. After all look how long its taking them to shut down the pirate bay, Not every country shares the same views.

Originally posted by MrWendal
Though I agree carbon credits are nothing more than a money making scheme, what purpose did this really accomplish? It's a waste of ability, and its a small time prank at best. If you have the ability to replace another's website with a spoof page, than why not hack into the company's computer and find evidence that carbon credits are a big fraud and another way to make money, then post THAT for everyone to see.

Now I totally agree with what you say there, They could then upload the data from their emails and documents to wikileaks... Let the world decide.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11
I would bet my last nickel it was the Russians.

The former KGB has a hacker team..actually a pretend university town filled with hackers.

They were the ones that hacked the IPCC, hacked all of the Republic of Georgia's gov sites prior to invasion etc.

I'm assuming you're talking about the CRU data leaks, not the IPCC, although CRU has a lot of influence within the IPCC. It was often told in the MSM that it was probably Russian hackers, because the leak first appeared on a Russian site. But this doesn't mean it had to be Russians which released the data.

I started a thread here, showing why it was far more likely to have been an internal leak, rather than an external hack. So I'm not sure that it would be such a good bet at all that this was done by Russians. Although Russia could stand to benefit, there are many, many people who would love to expose the carbon trading scam for what it really is.

Ah, I just saw the edit which showed it probably wasn't Russian hackers after all

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   

No no no... there is a difference between "Script Kiddie" vandals who simply do it for mischievous and pointless kicks and activist hackers who use this sort of intelligent site hijacking to send a message. It's the difference between "hack the planet" and "1 4m l33t h4x0rz!!11"

There's no difference whether you do it for your own personal purpose or for the well of everyone, defacing a site is still stupid and promote a bad image for the hacking community. Don't get me wrong I am completely for hacktivism but not this way...

There's no point in a message that gets overshadowed by the action used to bring it to light...

Primary because tomorow its not the message that he put on the site that people will remember its "The site got hacked"

Secondary the more this persist TPTB will use it against you, I and everything... They'll come tumbling down screaming "The crazies are hacking now, they could launch nuke from their bedroom!!! WE MUST GIVE OBAMA THE KILLSWITCH AND TOTAL CONTOL..."

As stupid as it sound don't underestimate how they can go nuts about hacking, just watch freedom downtime the TRUE story of Kevin Mitnick... The guy was put in isolation for his whole sentence which wasn't even legal I think without the possibility of visit OR calling outside cuz the authorities "Believed he could launch nukes with a phone" AS F***** IF the nuke command center and the launch computers are not on a closed network...

Hell they squeezed Bernie B's toothpaste tubes "Looking hidden computer devices..."

[edit on 30-7-2010 by _R4t_]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

There's no difference whether you do it for your own personal purpose or for the well of everyone, defacing a site is still stupid and promote a bad image for the hacking community. Don't get me wrong I am completely for hacktivism but not this way...

There's no point in a message that gets overshadowed by the action used to bring it to light...

Primary because tomorow its not the message that he put on the site that people will remember its "The site got hacked"

Secondary the more this persist TPTB will use it against you, I and everything... They'll come tumbling down screaming "The crazies are hacking now, they could launch nuke from their bedroom!!! WE MUST GIVE OBAMA THE KILLSWITCH AND TOTAL CONTOL..."

As stupid as it sound don't underestimate how they can go nuts about hacking, just watch freedom downtime the TRUE story of Kevin Mitnick... The guy was put in isolation for his whole sentence which wasn't even legal I think without the possibility of visit OR calling outside cuz the authorities "Believed he could launch nukes with a phone" AS F***** IF the nuke command center and the launch computers are not on a closed network...

Hell they squeezed Bernie B's toothpaste tubes "Looking hidden computer devices..."

[edit on 30-7-2010 by _R4t_]

I see your points. And I have definitely heard of Mitnick's story.

However... what is the alternative then? What should a hacktivist do when hacktivism is unfairly covered by the media? Should he/she give in and quit or should he/she continue just efforts and encourage more objective and FACTUAL views of hacking and hacktivism? The struggle is ongoing, my friend.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Speights

I don't see that as a nuisance I see it as a warning, The Government will try to restrict the internet but it wont work, the shear scale of the net is mind boggling, they don't have and never will have the power to control the net. After all look how long its taking them to shut down the pirate bay, Not every country shares the same views.

Yes and no, the reason Pirate Bay can get away with it is because of the lack of restriction and they don't have the "authority" yet to take over the main hubs and enforce regulations ... The Net is simply a net... and it depends on certain major hub/router if you tap those and you setup traffic shaping/restriction just like certain ISP has in place to censor certain sites but on a bigger scale what are you gonna do??? Remember most of the "Net" infrastructure itself is in the US...

Mudge and SwampRat from L0pht testified before the government awhile back and shown how they could take down the entire internet within 30 minutes only with a less then 10 men crew... Think about it....

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
correction
hackers are the unique geniuses that always learn more and more until they get in jail or be the next nikita.
crackers crack programs,passwords..mostly games,algorythms.
script kiddies are newbie hackers who like to use ready programs and dont read theyr own code.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
/reply to post by NoHierarchy

I see your points. And I have definitely heard of Mitnick's story.

However... what is the alternative then? What should a hacktivist do when hacktivism is unfairly covered by the media? Should he/she give in and quit or should he/she continue just efforts and encourage more objective and FACTUAL views of hacking and hacktivism? The struggle is ongoing, my friend.

To be honest with you I think the first step would be to watch our steps and not do anything that can easily be used and turned against us to rise public fear of hackers and the internet so they can't get away easy with their nazi regulations...

>I dunno setup webpages with eye catching stuff that will trigger people's curiosity, write the urls on dollar bills and let them go in circulation.

>Send mass emails,

>Start pirate radio,

>Mass SMS test cellphones with urls of your pages

>Use airpwn and drive around with it hooked to a alfa, you can use it to grap packets from the air and alter the payload then push it back its origin... You could drive in town and when you past by someone that type www.google.com and press enter would be forwarded to www.abovetopsecret.com.

>Use car whisperer hijack bluetooths and play in the tapes of the firemen screaming there's bombs and # to inject it randomly in parks and stuff with messages like "You've been lied to, make your own researches"

All small scale stuff that's hard to track but not big enough to be used as an excuse to regulate the general... And I think you'd touch more people...

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stillalive
correction
hackers are the unique geniuses that always learn more and more until they get in jail or be the next nikita.
crackers crack programs,passwords..mostly games,algorythms.
script kiddies are newbie hackers who like to use ready programs and dont read theyr own code.

Ummm okay,

Hackers don't always end up in jail usually those are kids without self-control... cracking software, cyphers, games anyone can do that.. It has NOTHING to do with the name cracker although alot of people get caught by this... one what to put is would be Hackers = whitehats Crackers = blackhats....

ohhh and Adrian Lamo = lamer....

Script kiddies are not newbie hackers... they are people that couldn't care less for how the technology works, then what they can do with it... they usually will not get very far and don't do researches before speaking... you've just displayed a wonderful example of this

Hacking beginners whom are interested in learning something are usually refered to as neophytes....

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
There needs to more of this. People need to keep pushing the truth out there and do what ever it takes make people aware of what these corrupt old rich bastards are trying to do. They are all homosexual cowards and need to be put in prison for conspiring and jeopardizing the well being of humanity.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

I'm not really sure what you are implying here. Are you saying that the activists in the OP are not worthy of the title hacker? Do you know their capabilities and motivations?

There is a HUGE difference! That's like saying a modern day Robin Hood (steal from the rich and greedy, give to the poor) is just as bad as a low life mugger who bashes an old lady for the $5.80 in her purse. I don't think it promotes a bad image for hackers, unless of course, you are standing to benefit from carbon trading. I think this is a brilliant form of passive "hactivism". It's making headlines and getting people to take notice without really disadvantaging anyone other than those who run the web site. So what would you consider good "hacktivism"?
Hmmm...

>I dunno setup webpages with eye catching stuff that will trigger people's curiosity, write the urls on dollar bills and let them go in circulation.

>Send mass emails,

>Start pirate radio,

>Mass SMS test cellphones with urls of your pages

>Use airpwn and drive around with it hooked to a alfa, you can use it to grap packets from the air and alter the payload then push it back its origin... You could drive in town and when you past by someone that type www.google.com and press enter would be forwarded to www.abovetopsecret.com.

>Use car whisperer hijack bluetooths and play in the tapes of the firemen screaming there's bombs and # to inject it randomly in parks and stuff with messages like "You've been lied to, make your own researches"

All small scale stuff that's hard to track but not big enough to be used as an excuse to regulate the general... And I think you'd touch more people...

There are already plenty of sites with information regarding the futilities of carbon trading, but a lot of people don't bother searching for them. I don't think spamming is a useful method to convey the information. And a lot of your other suggestions seem far more work intensive and inefficient (let alone annoying) compared to hacking a site which makes major headlines and gets peoples attention who would otherwise have not bothered.

Why are you trying to bring these guys down?

I don't think this is going to cause any excess regulation. If 'they' wanted to do that, a false flag attack on the net would be easy enough to carry out. Not sure if 'they' could ever truly crack down on this amazing source of info we call the net though.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by susp3kt

Originally posted by susp3kt
I would be interested to view to the hacked version of the page. I even see an embedded video in the screen capture of the spoof page in the article.

If you go to the article linked in the OP, it has a link to what looks to be the page that was used during the 'hack'. But since it easier, here is the link

It does have an embedded video which is quite good at explaining the basics of the carbon trading economy.

I must say again. I think it's brilliant what these guys have done.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

So you're for hacktivism, and against it at the same time??

You could have just said you're against hacktivism and maybe people would buy the rest of whatever it is you said.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

I'm not implying anything, I'm defending my own subculture I work in security as a matter of fact I'm replying to you from work on my pentest machine... I'm saying that "usually" real hackers that aren't trying to be flamboyant will avoid spotlights for many reasons that are obvious.

Now don't talk about something you don't know and say is ineffective the attacks I've describe there can take an entire town down to its knees if wanted and force everyone in the transmition range to view the page you want and there's NOTHING they can do about it...

Have the firewall you want, do whatever you want you'll need to turn your WIFI off and plug in a RJ45. And 90% of people will not think about that... I work for a ISP i know what I'm talking about when it comes to how dumb some people can be when it comes to the internet... We have calls recorded of customer calling wanted help because they broke "the coffee cup holder on their computer" YES THE CDROM....

As long as they are transmiting open/wep and we can send the modified payload with the right timing you WILL NEVER get to see google.com or yahoo or whatever you type it will ALWAYS be the page the attacker set... this can be done at once to an entire city... YET you have NOT defaced anyone's webpage.

Defacing webpage like that will end up in Obama and his minions blaming it on chinese/russian hackers and they'll push for "more security" on the internet... Its simple whaever has the potential to hit the media will be used against you no matter the initial purpose of the action... Guess who bail them and provide them fat bonus money....

I am into hacking, phreaking, electronic, AM Radio I've read everything ever issued from TAP to Phrack to 2600's I can be found on #2500 chatting with Goldstein the guy that made Freedom Downtime and I've spoke to Mitnick a couple time, Marc Abene and a couple a bunch of others... I'm working on a Van Eck's phreaking prototype for a project right now I know my # man

Website defacing is FROWNED UPON in the hacker culture for many reason... ITS STUPID, wayyy to easy to do... attracts nothing but negative view from the people that are clueless about the truth upon the whole hacker subculture...

Download "Freedom Downtime" and watch yourself how government are piss scared of hackers and how they fight back.... Mitnick did jail and they had NOTHING on him... watch it I dare you... then ask yourself if they did that to 1 guy how fast they will bite on something that gives them the potential to raise fear in the masses and get them to agree to have a more "secure internet"

The internet is the LAST thing YOU have to share info quietly and keep in touch... When they regulate it and you can't post anything without being logged and flagged as a potential terrorist what are YOU going to do??? I still have AM Radio and i'll be able to transmit via packet radio and even mod current 2.4ghz to diff frequency and transmit much further and bounce off repeaters and #... I will still be in touch... but what will you do? And trust me... the defacers won't be of any help then...

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I am for hacktivism but done properly... you can have people protesting without breaking windows and flipping cars... site defacing is just stupid its not worth the sh!t storm it creates after and makes people like me that loves technology looks like evil mofo hiding in their bedroom with nothing more to do than f*** around with other people's property...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join