It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Has All the Gulf Oil Gone?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I came across this article earlier. Apparently all of the oil that was supposed to be in the gulf isnt showing up anywhere. I think that BP might have gotten what they wanted. The CoreExit to sink the oil to the bottom so they wouldn't have to pay such a big fine.

Where is all the oil? Nearly two weeks after BP finally capped the biggest oil spill in U.S. history, the oil slicks that once spread across thousands of miles of the Gulf of Mexico have largely disappeared. Nor has much oil washed up on the sandy beaches and marshes along the Louisiana coast. And the small cleanup army in the Gulf has only managed to skim up a tiny fraction of the millions of gallons of oil spilled in the 100 days since the Deepwater Horizon rig went up in flames.
So where did the oil go? "Some of the oil evaporates," explains Edward Bouwer, professor of environmental engineering at Johns Hopkins University. That’s especially true for the more toxic components of oil, which tend to be very volatile, he says. Jeffrey W. Short, a scientist with the environmental group Oceana, told the New York Times that as much as 40 percent of the oil might have evaporated when it reached the surface. High winds from two recent storms may have speeded the evaporation process.

WOW. So 40 percent of these toxins are now in thte Air? Acid Rain? Looks like we only have a couple of weeks before the cleanup is halted. Then what?

Some of the oil has sunk into the sediments on the ocean floor. Researchers say that’s where the spill could do the most damage. But according to a report in Wednesday’s New York Times, "federal scientists [have determined] the oil [is] primarily sitting in the water column and not on the sea floor."

Whats that all about? I thought the CorExit made the oil sink? How much of that crap was sprayed? A lot.

Perhaps the most important cause of the oil’s disappearance, some researchers suspect, is that the oil has been devoured by microbes. The lesson from past spills is that the lion’s share of the cleanup work is done by nature in the form of oil-eating bacteria and fungi...

Mother Nature is one of the most awesome things to watch. I cease to be amazed at the things she can do. One day she will stop though and it will be because of us and that kills me inside.

Greed is a bitch, that is absolute. When we turn our backs on Mother Nature for a couple of green pieces of toilet paper, we are dooming ourselfs and our future to a big turd sandwich.

Our cage gets smaller every day.

MOTF!

Source

[edit on 28-7-2010 by MessOnTheFED!]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
The oil? It exists now only as part of a neural-interactive simulation...
that we call the Matrix.

But seriously, that's been bugging me all day. It's been mentioned quite a bit on CNN today. How much dispersant could they have used that they can't find the oil anymore? And isn't the dispersant supposed to be carcinogenic. What have they done!?

There's a related thread:

Is the BP oil spill disappearing?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 7/28/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

[edit on 7/28/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Exactly! And if im not mistaken, dosen't BP get charged by the barrel or something like that? So if only 1 or 2 percent can be cleaned up how the hell does that work out?

MOTF!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
The oil? It exists now only as part of a neural-interactive simulation...
that we call the Matrix.

Oil schmoil. Microbes, schmicrobes. I say "timeline shift". The spill never happened in our new past. We only have residual cognisance of the calamity along with a few select indicator having leaked across dimensions. The "well cap" is a crude-powered quantum detanglement entropy retroverter.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Didn't most of it sink to the bottom of the Gulf due to the Corexit? I think they were reporting a number a few weeks ago that said 98% was sinking and 2% was coming to the surface, but who knows.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!

Exactly! And if im not mistaken, dosen't BP get charged by the barrel or something like that? So if only 1 or 2 percent can be cleaned up how the hell does that work out?

Are you under the impression that the barrels they will be fined for will be based on what is 'collected'?

Didn't most of it sink to the bottom of the Gulf due to the Corexit? I think they were reporting a number a few weeks ago that said 98% was sinking and 2% was coming to the surface, but who knows.

Does it sink it to the bottom, or sink it below the surface?

My understanding is it keeps it below the surface to allow it to be broken down by microbes faster. The fact that it keeps it below the surface is merely an added bonus being made advantage of by BP for PR purposes.

But the corexitt DOES break the oil down, too. People seem kinda unaware of this basic fact in this forum.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by justadood]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

from the source.......

Some of the oil has sunk into the sediments on the ocean floor. Researchers say that’s where the spill could do the most damage. But according to a report in Wednesday’s New York Times, "federal scientists [have determined] the oil [is] primarily sitting in the water column and not on the sea floor."

O look at that on the sea floor where it can do the most damage.

But not to worry a "federal scientist" says its ok.

MOTF!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
So far I've seen very few posts besides my own that suggest anything different regarding this “disaster” than what's reported in the mainstream press....

corexit dissolved the oil... oil sank to the bottom... "mother nature" .... and on and on ... everything in this forum is released in MSM then it's repeated here verbatim.

I and a few others seem to be the only ones in the entire forum that are suggesting real "above top secret" explanations regarding this "disaster". Maybe this entire forum should be moved into the BTS section.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by soleprobe]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

MOTF!

Yeah, they do. I can't remember the dollar amount per barrel.

So they dump millions of barrels of carcinogenic dispersant into the gulf to save their balance sheets, and kill everything in the process. And carcinogens cause mutations....

So look out for a Cloverfield scenario. Giant killer lobsters or something Haha.

But really. This is just the most God-awful thing. BP SUCKS!!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

reply to post by ~Lucidity

from the source.......

O look at that on the sea floor where it can do the most damage.

But not to worry a "federal scientist" says its ok.

MOTF!

No. He did not say 'its okay' He said its sitting higher up in the water column.

Its right there in the quote you supplied!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

Not exactly, but I do figure the collected barrels will be in the final tally. Which is only a drop in the bucket compaired to the oil that spewed out of the well I know, but it's still something. And supposedly 40 percent of that drop is in the atmosphere right now.

MOTF!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by soleprobe

If theres a problem then dont post.

MOTF!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
www.rushlimbaugh.com...

RUSH: Back to the archives. May 3rd on this program, this is what I said...

RUSH ARCHIVE: The oil spill will break up. I'm not trying to minimize it here. But ecology does take care of itself, the planet does. Why all the panic? Oh, a crisis. Well, it's gonna break up. It's not going to be a giant glob when it hits, but it's going to pose problems. I'm not gonna say it's not going to pose problems, but he's saying that as it breaks up it will break down. You know, seawater is pretty tough stuff. Try living in it for a while. Oil has a tough time surviving. This many gallons of oil seep from the floor of the Gulf of Mexico every day, just spread out over the whole floor of the Gulf and it never surfaces 'cause it gets eaten alive, but it seeps from the ocean floor at this amount. Not as concentrated obviously as coming from this well.

Rush Limbaugh said this would happen. Never, ever doubt Rush Limbaugh.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

You missede the point of my post there. My bad with my sarcasm. The article said that the oil would do the most damage at the bottom of the ocean and then turned around on the next sentence and said but thats not where it is though.

MOTF!

[edit on 28-7-2010 by MessOnTheFED!]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

If theres a problem then dont post.

Oh there's a problem and that's why I post

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Ouch! Your words cut so deep. Thank you for the bashing now move along please.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Right so antars slight but ranting thread begins to make sense? Many people have been affected and we will continue to be as long as these same bastretards are in the pilot seat!

Symptoms after being out in the rain:

And who can forget or escape the millions poisoned?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Greed runs this place and it will run us into the ground one day.

"Bastretards"
I almost fell out of my chair.

MOTF!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Not exactly, but I do figure the collected barrels will be in the final tally. Which is only a drop in the bucket compaired to the oil that spewed out of the well I know, but it's still something. And supposedly 40 percent of that drop is in the atmosphere right now.

MOTF!

I really dont think they tally the collected crude.

the total fine will be based (very loosely) on estimated flow. Not collected crude.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Corexit Oil Dispersant Impact on Gulf Oil Spill Fumes
in Environment,Health,Oil Spills,Pollution

CNN once reported that Exxon Valdez cleanup workers had a life expectancy of 51 years old. Most of those workers have now died. A version of Corexit oil dispersant that is being used in the Gulf was used also in the Exxon Valdez cleanup. Corexit is banned in the UK as well as many other nations and considered roughly only 60% effective. It is ironic Corexit cannot be used in England, but BP is using both Corexit 9500 and 9527A in our waters as the oil dispersant of choice. Corexit is manufactured by NALCO, a company reportedly with closes ties to BP. Over a million gallons of NALCO products have been applied in the Gulf, documented by themselves as having NO TOXICITY TESTING. There has never been such a massive Corexit spraying of chemicals and resulting oil spill fumes in history, as the one in our Gulf.

www.airfiltersandpurifiers.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join