It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Petite' woman thrown off plane to make way for obese teenager who needed two seats

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by The Chez

The airlines seats should be bigger imo. There is hardly any leg space on airplane seats. What's next you will throw people for being too tall who cant sit on seat?

The airline did a fine job in this case. As a poster already said the woman was on standby then its fine by all means to ask her to submit her seat. And yes thyroid problem does result in excess body weight for which a person has no control over. Even the meds do not help. I also know a lott of thyroid patients and most of them have weight problem.

Whining about someone getting free seat will get you nowhere socially when people are in need.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Redwookieaz

The avg female today is about 5'4" and 163 lbs. Avg male is 5'9" and 190 lbs. Perhaps airlines should make seats wider with more overhead Storage space and less head room. Then the tall people can be forced to buy 2 seats so they can scrunch in the plane. The large short people would be just fine. Not being serious here just trying to point out the ridiculousness of some of these responses. People are buying a way of transportation not an "area" on a plane. We can not put all people into a box.

I am amazed at many of the comments on this thread. In the words of an old Youngbloods song-"c'mon people now,
Smile on you brother, everybody get together, try and love one another ,right now.

[edit on 29-7-2010 by LAinhabitant]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Ridiculous story. The "petite" woman should not have to suffer such inconvenience because the guardian(s) of the obese teenager didn't have the foresight to consider that her size would present a seating problem. Discrimination works both ways and this "petite" woman was the victim.

I do feel sorry for the teenager because it would have been very embarrassing and she would have felt bad for getting the woman kicked off. It's very sad to think that teenagers are already entering the "obese" range. While some people do suffer from genetic conditions that affect their body size, most obese people are that way because of overeating and a lack of exercise.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
Ridiculous story. The "petite" woman should not have to suffer such inconvenience because the guardian(s) of the obese teenager didn't have the foresight to consider that her size would present a seating problem. Discrimination works both ways and this "petite" woman was the victim.

I do feel sorry for the teenager because it would have been very embarrassing and she would have felt bad for getting the woman kicked off. It's very sad to think that teenagers are already entering the "obese" range. While some people do suffer from genetic conditions that affect their body size, most obese people are that way because of overeating and a lack of exercise.

You can call who ever you want, the victim, but in the end the problem is the greedy airlines who do not take in to consideration the fact that over half of US is over weight.

The victim is also the over weight individual who must have been embarrassed to death sitting in two seats at once.

Think before you speak.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by BiGGz
wow, I would have caused the biggest scene, probably would have wound myself up in handcuffs. Or maybe I would have suggested they put the fatty down were all the luggage is, I'm sure there's some room down there

Suuurreee you would have.. because you're Soooooo Random!

Maybe started telling "She's so fat..." jokes to the passengers too.

Cool dude is cool.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
yeah, special places. buy a couple of galaxies or c130 and start a "all you can board" airline.

Originally posted by Vitchilo
In Canada they've ruled that they CAN'T charge for 2 seats to obese people because it's discriminatory.

Just saying.

Airplanes should make ``special areas`` for obese people... Some of them are basically handicapped...

And this is sad that a 14 years old is already that size...

[edit on 28-7-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism
You can call who ever you want, the victim, but in the end the problem is the greedy airlines who do not take in to consideration the fact that over half of US is over weight.

Do over half the US population require more than one seat when travelling by plane? If not, then your point is irrelevant. This is not to do with greed on the Airline's part; in cases like these they lose money and have to reschedule flights for those that were inconvenienced.

The victim is also the over weight individual who must have been embarrassed to death sitting in two seats at once.

Who cares about the other person and their plans, hey? As long as minorities are happy...who cares about the majority of people?

Think before you speak.

Think before you type.

[edit on 29/7/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
There was recently a scientific report that hit the white house about contaminants in food making people fat. Probably bpas.

Could be that some of being fat IS environmental.

But I think it is sad, sad, sad. The elite are sitting in first class with plenty of room, and the poor are arguing over seat space.

If everyone could afford 2 seats easily, it wouldn't be that much of an issue. If we keep hating the fat and making an already poorer population pay more and more to do things, we shouldn't be surprised if they only get fatter.

People complain about seeing fat people out and about. You make fun of fat people when you see them trying to get out and walk or jog.

It's really disgusting, this hatred of others, fat or thin. The ugliness and acting like it's ok to be grabbing for resources, hoveling at the feet of the elites, like the fat or the skinny are our competition for survival? Notice how all of THEM tend to eat organic, grass fed, ect?

That is what's ugly and disgusting.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Once again, it is the airlines fault, the airline put both of them in that situation.

Those seats are created small, not even giving you enough leg space, because of greed. You are saying they are not greedy? Tell me this then, why does the first class get extra space?

Yes, they pay more./

Are you telling me that the overweight individual is not the victim? Answer yes or no.

And in regards to whether the majority of Americans needing two seats or not? No they don't, but the majority of Americans wouldn't feel comfortable in those seats, even if they have two seats, they still won't be comfortable.

Get it?

You try sitting in two seats.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I feel sorry for the girl as she could be aware that the incident is being discussed across the internet and published in newspapers.

The reason I'm posting on what's really a 'nothing' story, is to ask why it was published? What makes an English newspaper think that a minor incident in Las Vegas, USA is worth sharing with its readers? 5500 miles away!

It's kind of small-minded and gossipy. Let's look at what gives the story a hook? Obviously, it's the obesity of the teenage girl.

So without a serious issue involved in the piece...we're basically looking at playground ridicule. Let's moan about the fat kid.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Ok before everyone starts talking about genetic make ups and galndular problems take a trip out to your local fast food restaurants and look at the clientel that feast upon their sumptuous snacks. You will see the stereotypical peopla I assure you.

My friends and I always have the same discussion when we meet up, you see in order to maintain a good figure and stay healthy one needs to eat the right things and most importantly do some form of excercise. In todays modern world this is becoming harder and harder for not only children but adults aswell for the folling reasons:

1. Healthy food is expensive in most countries for example, 100% organic fruit smoothies, which could easily replace the sodas are subjected to tax and therefore, people choose the cheaper options for obvious reasons.

2. Supermarkets are always promoting unhealthy foods by slashing the prices and offering BOGOF's

3. In todays society we are conditioned to always be on the move to never sit down and still the mind, therefore, as soon as people finish work they go for the quick fix, the fast foods, pizzas,burgers,fishfingers,sausages e.t.c the foods that have the high fat/calorie count and are quick and easy to cook.

4. Children are educated by the parents and pick up habits from the parents. Because alot of families are on low income they simply can't afford to eat healthy so, automatically the child is conditioned by the regular meals that he/she receives from the parents. They grow up thinking its ok to eat unhealthy foods because mum is cooking it.

5. Video games,consoles and TV play a major role in childrens lives every single day. How many children do you know when asked would prefer to play video games or watch TV than to go outside for a walk or ride a bike?

IMHO we should be educating obese children 14+ by taking them to their local hospitals and get them talking to other obese children who have been admitted due to health problems because of what they eat. I assure you once you have seen a child in this state because of lack/laziness from the parents we would all soon change our family ways.

In regards to this situation I personally would not have moved and caused one hell of a stink. The airline was out of order and should pay recompense in order to maintain their public image.

Disgraceful!

[edit on 29-7-2010 by franspeakfree]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Honestly, are you joking...make a special area????? Why they hell should they? The take up 2 seats, they pay for 2 seats. You take up 1 seat, you should pay for 1 seat.

Its not discrimination to state fact, its called life!!!

Loose the weight or pay your way! Its not mean to say it, its just normal. I for one would not have got off that plane, i would have made it very clear that it was a health and safety risk having 1 person take up 2 seats and i would have had to have been forced off the plane

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
I feel sorry for the girl as she could be aware that the incident is being discussed across the internet and published in newspapers.

The reason I'm posting on what's really a 'nothing' story, is to ask why it was published? What makes an English newspaper think that a minor incident in Las Vegas, USA is worth sharing with its readers? 5500 miles away!

The reason why it is being published around the world is because the authorities are trying to raise the awareness of obestiy in young people.

IMHO this is not because they want to help and aid families its purely an a agenda so that can lower the obesity rate, save money in the health sector and get those people out to work and off the non working benefits.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Oh please, they allready made the seats wider in 1990 because so much people are getting fatter and fatter. And they all are ill...sure from burgers and coke.

Burning Eyes? GET TWO TICKETS OR LEAVE.....

You will never see this in europe, just never. This kind of empathy makes them fatter again, and it's wrong.

OMG!

Movie Theatre Seats Getting Bigger: Americans Are Too Fat! - get it or ignore it.

I am not skinny, but please comon, think healthy is different, right?

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

It has nothing to do with genetic make up...that is BS.

Its simply to do with eating more than you burn!

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

The reason why it is being published around the world is because the authorities are trying to raise the awareness of obestiy in young people.

IMHO this is not because they want to help and aid families its purely an a agenda so that can lower the obesity rate, save money in the health sector and get those people out to work and off the non working benefits.

Hiya Fran

I agree to a point. On the other hand, the spread of Government control into the private lives of the general population is unwanted and unnecessary. I'd be happier if they focused on the rising taxes, polluted environment and foreign policy. I'd sooner have a lot of fat people in a peaceful world and cleaner environment....than slim folk in the world we live in now.

As for the Daily Mail, it's typical of them to pick up on a petty-minded story. Here in Britain, we've got plenty of obesity (plenty!), they hardly needed to cover this incident. The Mail loves division. Separate fat folk from slim folk, brown folk from white, Scottish from English, middle class from working class...it keeps people chattering and doesn't keep them thinking.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree

Originally posted by Kandinsky

I would have to say its quite the opposite...they dont want to cut the obesity rate, they want to push it even further. Think about it, why would they want the population healthy??? What will that do for the economy having 99% of the population healthy?? They'd rather make you fat, unhealthy and ill so they can generate new income from new research and so on...its about money, not your well-being!!!

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism
Once again, it is the airlines fault, the airline put both of them in that situation.

Those seats are created small, not even giving you enough leg space, because of greed. You are saying they are not greedy? Tell me this then, why does the first class get extra space?

You are focussing on an irrelevant issue - the Airline's greed has nothing to do with this case. I agree that airlines should be making more spacious and comfortable seats for everyone, but that is not the problem.

Yes, they pay more.

Are you telling me that the overweight individual is not the victim? Answer yes or no.

Yes, she is the victim of stupid parents/guardians who did not have the foresight to think this might have been a problem. If you are unaware that your child is obese that is already a major problem. If it turns out she is so obese that she cannot fit into a seat that 95% of the population can fit into, then that is another matter.

And in regards to whether the majority of Americans needing two seats or not? No they don't, but the majority of Americans wouldn't feel comfortable in those seats, even if they have two seats, they still won't be comfortable.

More irrelevant information. Maybe you need to take a deep breath, say out loud "Airlines are greedy" a few times and then come back to the thread.

[...]

You try sitting in two seats.

How do you know I haven't? What you are suggesting is like turning every normal sized cab into a MAXI-taxi because a minority cannot fit into the normal sized one. I guess the the Taxi industry is greedy because they do not have a passenger seat big enough for the small minority that cannot fit next to the driver?

[edit on 29/7/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Guess if you want to fly....gain weight

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Imagine that plane ditching or crashing where people manage to survive the impact yet the cabin is on fire and the rear door is out of action?... not only is he a possible death dealing missile (dont giggle im serious), but a serious safety obstruction.

I would actually say the Airlines are breaking some form of guideline allowing that sort of thing. But you couldnt bring it up since the guy would sue you for discrimination.

[edit on 29-7-2010 by BigfootNZ]

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join