It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Petite' woman thrown off plane to make way for obese teenager who needed two seats

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I can see valid points from both perspectives and ya know what, It really doesn't matter.

All you are going to do is waste your time trying to convince others of your point of view and/or, you are going to waste your time trying to prove that everyone else's beliefs are wrong.

It's just another story that causes conflict and division.

I think we can all agree that we already have more conflict and division than we can handle so, why waste valuable time and energy on something as insignificant as a seat on a plane.

I for one think that they should both be grateful that they have the resources to travel by air as opposed to the Greyhound Bus.

Seriously, have you been to a Greyhound station lately???

Creme' de la Creepy

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
It would be great if towards the end of the flight, the pilot came out and asked her to move to the front of the plane to help distribute the weight evenly.

Getting a little tired of fat people telling skinny people to "get some meat on their bones" after hearing a story like this.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
As soon as I saw it was with southwest airlines I wasnt suprised. Most incompetant airline I've ever been robbed by. The first time I flew with them the plane was 7 hours late the second time(NEXT DAY) I was waiting overnight, "dont worry" they said "you guys can have these 5 dollar gift cards" thanks for getting me home 2 days late and a serious amount of trouble at work dont worry the 5 bucks covered it all.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
The 2 seat thing is just an effect of her being fat. If the plane was full and a slim 14 year old girl needed a seat that was purchased they would certainly kick someone who was on stand-by off the plane...

... and in this case if the plane was full with the stand-by passengers I can tell you that the article would read:

"'Petite' and non-obese husband thrown off plane to make way for obese teenager who needed two seats"

[edit on 28-7-2010 by RestingInPieces]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Right. Well attention is what so many people seem to be craving these days, both those in the stories and the story writers. Entitlement as someone said, too...I've been damaged...you looked at me funny. Puh-lease.

As for the time wasted over-analyzing...amen. Attention-seeking headlines compete with each other for gullible minds who don't analyze a dang thing yet still spread the BS like a stage-6 pandemic. And anyone who does any logical thinking or applies common sense or even simply says, whoa stop, calm down for a second is virtually ignored.

The world is full of this stuff, and it's only going to get worse. One of the cons of of free society and the web, I guess, but annoying anyway. All reaction and no thinking is DANGEROUS. We all fall for the sensational now and then, but for all our sakes, people, please find some middle ground before we all lose our minds.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
1. Minors should be accompanied by parent or guardian when travelling for their safety.
2. People who can not fit into a single seat should be charged for two seats.

Have flown alot over the years and noticed in latter years more large people on aircraft..
The last few times flew bought two seats just to avoid being crowded by large people along with annoying people who insist upon boring others with their life stories.. Prefer to sleep when flying always got my best sleep when flying. Only times have gave up seat it was for 1. Elderly
2. Disabled individuals and overweight is NOT a disability . Would tell them get stuffed if was ever asked to give up a seat for someone who was/is overweight. But doubt will fly much in future between the idiotic security and losing interest in long trips the older I get.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

The fact remains if she were normal size, the next person "bumped" could have sat next to her. Sad when people go into long drawn out "explanations" based on their experience and they miss the point entirely. Yes, we understand how standby works.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I think it was wrong to kick the woman off the flight for the girl to have an extra seat. Actually I think it was wrong that the girl was alone in the first place. She's a kid with a problem, whether it be to over eating or a medical condition her parents should have made sure she had 2 seats purchased or even better that she wasn't alone on an airplane. Teens don't drive until age 16, drink until 18 or 21 - so why should a 14 year old be allowed to enter an adult world of traveling by theirself when just about anything could go wrong. As you can see she was not mature enough to handle the sitaution by herself. I would have been upset had I been the woman, not so much at the girl but at those that are responsible for her. Just my opinion.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

Agreed, in principle to most of your post....however, re-consider this:

1. Minors should be accompanied by parent or guardian when travelling for their safety.

A bit of clarification is in order, for those who aren't aware --- airlines have a minimum age requirement for unaccompanied minor acceptance, in their policies.

My company, if I recall correctly, was age 12. IOW, not ALL minors may be transported as "UNAM".

Second point--- Imagine this scenario: Divorced parents; joint custody of their minor child; residing in separate cities very far apart geographically.

THIS is but one scenario to justify the UNAM policies, and procedures, of airlines. You can see an extraordinary burden on the parents, right, IF this option wasn't available to them?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Geez.

It happened. It's over. People got irate and apologized. Everyone got where they needed to go and were probably compensated for their trouble. Get on with your life already. What purpose does making this such drama serve?

Does the woman want money? Free tickets for life?

To embarrass and traumatize an overweight child?

To feel good about herself for getting irate and getting irate back?

For the airline to add a role-play scenario with this particular situation to the training manual for all SouthWest employees and a sworn statement in blood that it will never happen again?

For people to get fired?

Well guess what? This or something like it is going to happen again. Many times a day. It's LIFE people. Deal with it.

There are far more important things to waste your thought processes and outrage on.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Difference between both generations and outlook in that regard as am of a generation where parents were responsible for the safety and welfare of their children. And my thinking is eastern in regard to family and ones duty / responsibilities as a parent.
Just do not find it acceptable for a minor to travel without parent or guardian accompanying them. Yes I realise in the west people think different on many things.. But have to stand to parents being responsible for the upbringing and safety both at home and travelling.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross

Vichvilo is right, in Canada it is discriminatory to charge 2 seats for someone who takes 2 seats because of obesity.

As stupid as it may look, It is such.

@invisible albatross wrote:

''Obese people can indeed be that way due to genetics. We cannot assume that this girl is just lazy and loves junk food."

Yes, genetics may play a role in stocking fat in the body.

I know some fat people, but frankly, I never meet one who doesn't eat.

It must come from somewhere; sugar and fat.
They don't burn the fuel properly; exercise and body heat.

And If I can't assume she doesn't eat junk food, I firmly assume that she is not addicted to carrots, celeris and broccolis.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieJesus

Hmmm I can be tolerant, but when it comes to fat people I am rather intolerant

Classy ATS, real classy...

Seeing as im in that list of qoutes id like to clarify. I am a very tolerant person and can let alot slide as personal choice of the indirvidual (unless their an animal abuser in which case they have my utmost enmity), when I said 'fat' I meant fat, not chubby or bear bellied, but the kind of 'fat that takes 2 rows of a plane' fat, ie Obese, which in todays world of 'take pride in your size' type mantras... is now considered the base line fat, hell in a decade at the rate we are going with weight gain and PC the morbidly obese of today will be considered the trim of tomorrow.

My father could be considered large, or even fat by others (large beer gut, and rounded cheeks), but he doesnt take up two seats on a plane. Thats the thing in my mind.

Im not intolerant of fat people, im intolerant of obese people who seem to think its alright for their supposed out of their control disability to inconvenience others since they believe they have a right to be the way they are. I guess its not really intolerance, its more an annoyance with situations that to anyone are clearly wrong, yet are somehow allowed to happen for illogical reasons.

Im a nice peaceful person, but ill call a spade a spade when I see one thank you very much.

Thats all ill say about that since I dont want to contribute to the thread deteriorating into a worse fat/anti-fat rant than its already getting, but I was qouted, so ive responded in my defense.

edit:- accidentally removed to many qoute tags.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by BigfootNZ]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Come on, don't be overprotective for a kid you don't know about. A parent could bring a child to a plane and at the arrival another familly member to wait for. Specially, if the kid has made the trip before and is mentally fit.

What could go wrong at 35000 feet high, that you can personnally handle ?

It is not worst than a school bus, it is even safer. Nobody bullies, shout, or fight in a plane without having pretty serious problems.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I flew alone many times as a child. The airlines a very good at providing for unaccompanied minors. I remember having to switch planes and having a flight attendant with me the entire time between flights. A minor no matter what their size is going to come first. I am appalled at those who think the obese are worse than those who are to skinny. He affects on the to skinny people are just as bad as those who weigh to much. Both can because by health problems and both can be self inflicted. Both can lead to heart failure. But let me ask this do you have more sympathy for someone with anorexia than you do for someone with an over eating disorder and why? What is the difference?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by The Chez

I'd have liked to see the petite woman and the fat kid fight it out for the seat. Wouldn't that have been cool?

No? Oh, well........The U.S. is an "empire" in decline, might as well have some gladiators do their stuff.

It would help to distract the citizens...........until the pilot says......."All passengers in rows 4 and 5. Come on down to first class and entertain the elite. God bless you and may he have mercy on your souls."

Release the hounds, and lions and tigers and bears.

This was all referring to Rome, and all that. You know, the unfairness, not that all was fair in Rome, but eventually, spectators in the stands were eventually forced to enter the arena, much to the delight of the others who took a chance and got to watch.

Was that not the ultimate distraction and entertainment of that time, for the masses?

Just saying.........don't expect "fairness".......anymore.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by kyred]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Obese people can indeed be that way due to genetics. We cannot assume that this girl is just lazy and loves junk food. That said, I am baffled that a paying customer could be kicked off the plane. Did she buy her ticket in advance or was she on standby?

Edit: One of the comments on the site claims the woman was on standby. In that case, fine. There was no seat available for her. The girl is only 14; the airline cannot just dump her off the plane and leave her in the airport.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by InvisibleAlbatross]

Like they did with the "Petite" lady? They left her there.....

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
How does the seatbelt work in this situation and what about the lifejacket,both are safety requirements?What about the emergency slide if she goes down first and it breaks what then?Not meaning to be rude to the girl just wondering how they deal with these issues.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Obese people can indeed be that way due to genetics.

No they can't. That's just their excuse.

The medical industry loves to convince people they have no control over their problems - that way they need help. Very clever and very profitable.

Go to any starving country of your choice. Amazingly, this "genetic problem" doesn't seem to exist there.

Consume less energy than you burn and it's physically impossible to gain weight.

Telling people it's not their fault they're obese is just fuelling the problem.

I'm slightly overweight, and I know damn well it's my fault.

[edit on 29/7/10 by NuclearPaul]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by The Chez

They need to put the FAT people in the cargo

Sorry had to say that, I found it funny, but it is offencive so sorry.

That being said, they should create a special area for the over weight with bigger seats, just like they have created special areas for people with disability.

Or created a whole new jumbo plane especially designed for over weight people. over half of America is over weight, so why not?

This is discrimination.

They should either create the planes so that over weight people can feel comfortable in, or completely segregate it, putting over weight people in another plane.

I would choose the first.

new topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join