It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Petite' woman thrown off plane to make way for obese teenager who needed two seats

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gakus
I'm sorry nobody gets big enough to take up 2 seats, unless they are cramming food down their throats. Genetics play no role what so ever.

So sick of people attempting to use any cop out they can.

Genetics does provide people with a tendency of getting fat or not. But I agree that to get to the point of requiring two seats with 14 years old this girl must eat all the junk she can while doing nothing to lose weight or be healthy.

Something that for me is to be blamed not only on her but on her parents for allowing this and buying her all the crap she probably eats.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross

...The girl is only 14; the airline cannot just dump her off the plane and leave her in the airport.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by InvisibleAlbatross]

Sure they can. Why not? They do this all of the time. Both of these women payed for their seats. If the large woman's seat wasn't big enough, then she should sit & wait until one is. The other woman payed equally for a seat, and had no problems sitting in it. If you need 2 seats, buy 2 seats. If you're equivalent to two people, it should play no burden upon those unfortunate enough to have a seat next to you. I don't mean that to be rude in any way, as I understand that obesity is not always controllable. However, it is not fair at all, that a lady miss her plane, because the person next to her needed *her* seat as well! That's absolutely ridiculous, and I hope she makes an enormous amount of money pending her lawsuit. She was "baffooned."

Cheers,
Strype

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I would not have moved. They would have to go get security.

Also, why was a 14 year old traveling alone?

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
the fat of the land...

just amazed,

fat people should be by law required to drop in size and weigth so that their bmi makes sence.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Airplanes should make ``special areas`` for obese people... Some of them are basically handicapped...

[edit on 28-7-2010 by Vitchilo]

I wonder where that line of thought stops?

Everyone is required now to install a ramp to their front door incase a wheelchair visitor decides to stop in.

You must now widen your front and bathroom doors incase an obese person decides to visit.

You must install a bubble in your home, incase bubble boy comes to visit.

See what I mean here? Why should the airline be forced to do anything for someone who is morbidly obese?

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doubleagent

Also, why was a 14 year old traveling alone?

What? I traveled alone by plane at least 10 times between the ages 7-14. It's actually extremely common for children to travel alone. It just isn't very common for them to be so large that the people next to them are required to leave the plane.

Cheers,
Strype

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
This happens all the time. You are not guaranteed a seat and the airlines reserve the right to pretty much do as they please. The airline made the right decision in this instance, by allowing an ADULT woman to wait rather than a child who was traveling alone. It happens all the time.

I was on a flight a few months back that required some folks to get bumped because of the fact that they had a small group of children traveling by themselves. They could not separate them, and the only choice was to remove some ADULTS from the plane.

I will say though that airline seats are not generous in width or legroom. I have seen many in-shape individuals fit snugly into them. It doesn't take much more for someone out of shape to have their fat resting on the armrests. Flying is indeed a business, and if a person is large enough to take up 2 seats then the airline should make accommodations to serve those customers. I would suggest seats made for people beyond a certain weight, that also comes with it a premium cost that would still allow them to still afford the ticket. For example, if 3 normal seats are removed for 2 "fat" seats, then the 2 "fat" passengers should have to pay 1.5 the cost of the ticket to subsidize the lost seat. Those seats should also be reserved for those of a certain weight to prevent slim passengers from utilizing them just to give them a little extra room. If a passenger has a medical note or waiver that shows that they require it due to a medical condition then the extra 50% charge should be waived.

I would say that the Airlines should accommodate the Obese completely and without any additional charge, but unlike the physically handicap, the Obese are far far far more common, especially in the United States. At the very worse airlines may eventually install several rows of "larger" seats in the back to accommodate, but, as I said, those passengers should be held somewhat responsible for the lost seats and revenue to some degree. Doing this would also protect customer goodwill as I am sure most passengers literally dread the prospect of sitting next to a person who spills over into their seat, invading their space, and forcing them to become more intimate than they should with them. It really isn't fair to subject a person to such conditions when they paid their fare for a reasonably comfortable flight.

As for FAT vs Skinny, the truth is that modern society makes it increasingly difficult for people, especially the poor, to maintain a healthy lifestyle as it promotes sedentary lifestyles. I have also known people that work several jobs, 60+ hours regularly per week, and they have very little time to go to the gym, or even the ability to buy or eat healthy. Like most, they tend to go for convenience due to time constraints and their jobs are constrained, allowing very little opportunity for physical activity.

As for me, I use to be 345 lbs, and even though I did not eat too much, due to health problems it made it very difficult to be physically active. And when you are less active, your daily caloric requirements can drop significantly. So eating what you view as very little may still be too much for your metabolic requirements.

I was determined and then went to 325, then 315, then 295, then to 280, then to 265, then to 250, then to 240. How did I do it? I watched my calories, ate healthier, and hit the gym when I could. I also parked as far away as possible when going to stores, always took the stairs when available, and found reasons to walk. Over the past several years I've lost about 100 lbs, but it was not easy.

I still eat hamburgers, pizza, ice cream, cake, whatever. But I also have added a lot more healthier foods such as fruits, vegetables, etc. You can still eat what you love, but you have to do it in moderation, and keep track of what you eat.

The big thing is that it takes a complete lifestyle change and developing new "mindless" healthy habits. But I have a job that allows me the freedom to do that while many others don't or are in situations that make it exceedingly difficult. Personally, It is rewarding to go from wearing a nearly size 48/50 pants to now wearing a 36. I still have another 50 pounds to go, but I am in no hurry. I figure I will reach that goal within the next few years.

Overall, most obesity is due to poverty, and overall ignorance of basic nutrition in addition to one's job. If a person is raised to think and eat a certain way that promotes obesity, then they will more than likely become obese. If the schools don't actively teach kids how to eat healthy and truly adapt healthy lifestyles then chances are most won't. What it boils down to is people needing to go out and help themselves to the resources out there that will lead to healthy habits and a healthier life.

[edit on 29-7-2010 by DJM8507]

[edit on 29-7-2010 by DJM8507]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
If she's obese at age 14, then I think she has been obese most of her life, which makes it not her fault.

The parents had full control of her weight, and now she has to work hard to fix the problems she has. I'm sure the girl did not feel happy at all having to take the petite woman's seat, I bet it was very embarrassing for her.

I think this experience was probably worse for the obese girl than the petite woman.

Anyway the fact is, obese people need to pay for two seats, that's the only logical solution, or planes need to get special seats for obese people etc
Ooooor if they walk to their destination instead I'm sure they will burn some calories

[edit on 29-7-2010 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
So here is what I think REALLY happened:

A large teenager was given a seat next to a thin woman. The thin woman complained because she said sitting next to this person made her "too uncomfortable". The attendant explained there were no other seats. The thin woman demanded that she be accommodated, an argument followed. After a few minutes and some ugly words, the thin woman was either ejected or stormed off the airplane.

Afterward, the thin woman gives her slant, whereas the real truth is she was just spoiled and temperamental. Consistent with her inner ugliness, she starts a nasty and distorted rumor to "get even". Rather than fight the rumor, the airline simply apologizes.

Okay -- I don't know if this is what happened in this case, but I understand from some friends in the business this type of behavior is common. I've seen it happen myself, and I am sure others here have also.

Flying on planes makes some people crazy. Not sure why.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Well at least we know this 14 year old won't be standing up to any tyrannical governments anytime soon. Most likely her parents won't either.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
1st of all she was 14 years old and probably shouldn't have been left in the airport alone.

2nd she was late on arrival and had bought the ticket prior to the "thin lady" who was boarded because the airline thought the other ticket holder was a no show. nothing wrong with the airline trying to fill an empty seat.
The litttle girl did however arrive and bought the seat 1st. Sorry "thin lady" back in line and wait for your turn.

3rd Where is the conspiracy on this subject. To me it seems to be a fail thread. I cant even believe thiers 7 pages on this garbage. A waste of time, everyone seems to be so worried about fat people for what. So they like to eat could be alot worse. Not to mention no one even knows if this girl has a disorder or not. Just another case of people pointing fingers before they even know the facts.

Just another garbage headline that means nothing. Another distraction that is stearing people away from the important issues and people on this site are falling for it like sheeple. Makes me sick.

Why are so concerned about fat people, the way people dress, what people drive, if our homes are so nice, our looks.

The media and hollywood drills this crap in our heads everyday and it doesn't matter. Yet here we are bickering about a little fat girl that got a seat over a thin lady.

Stop falling for this crap and keep the real issues on this site. Thats why im here reading these threads. I dont care about the little fat girl and her airport issues, I dont care about Tiger Woods and his scandals. I could really give a rats a** about whose gonna win the next Super Bowl. Don't even get me started on sports and the distraction they have on society today. GOD we might as well be living in roman times on that subject.

To end my rant I say this thread should be deleted unless thier is some real conspiracy here.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Axial Leader

AL!!!!

A thousand stars for you!!!!

Nailed. On. The. Head.

Not for certain it actually happened that exact way in this particular case, but you are absolutely correct that it DOES sometimes happen in the scenario you presented.

~~~~~

Adding....for idotwhat, ANOTHER thousand stars!!!
!!

Good to see sanity, for a while at least....

[edit on 29 July 2010 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I hope the poor woman got refunded at least. :/ It was nice of her to give up her seat, to allow the poor girl to get to where she needed to be - and I do feel bad for her, it must be awfully humiliating to have a butt that big.

Still if it were up to me me - I would've kicked that girl off the plane phoned mommy and daddy to pay for two airline tickets for the next flight, and avoided inconveniencing a completely fine customer.

But I'm not a nice person so. -shrug-

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by LAinhabitant

I understand what you are saying. To me though the part that is unacceptable is that it's not just that people are getting larger or anything, it's that they are actively removing more room from each passenger to shoe horn on more people.

I fully understand you wouldn't expect seats set for an average person to fit Shaquille O'Neal.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJM8507

I will say though that airline seats are not generous in width or legroom. I have seen many in-shape individuals fit snugly into them. It doesn't take much more for someone out of shape to have their fat resting on the armrests. Flying is indeed a business, and if a person is large enough to take up 2 seats then the airline should make accommodations to serve those customers. I would suggest seats made for people beyond a certain weight, that also comes with it a premium cost that would still allow them to still afford the ticket. For example, if 3 normal seats are removed for 2 "fat" seats, then the 2 "fat" passengers should have to pay 1.5 the cost of the ticket to subsidize the lost seat. Those seats should also be reserved for those of a certain weight to prevent slim passengers from utilizing them just to give them a little extra room. If a passenger has a medical note or waiver that shows that they require it due to a medical condition then the extra 50% charge should be waived.

I would say that the Airlines should accommodate the Obese completely and without any additional charge, but unlike the physically handicap, the Obese are far far far more common, especially in the United States. At the very worse airlines may eventually install several rows of "larger" seats in the back to accommodate, but, as I said, those passengers should be held somewhat responsible for the lost seats and revenue to some degree. Doing this would also protect customer goodwill as I am sure most passengers literally dread the prospect of sitting next to a person who spills over into their seat, invading their space, and forcing them to become more intimate than they should with them. It really isn't fair to subject a person to such conditions when they paid their fare for a reasonably comfortable flight.

Very well spoken, sir. I most definitely agree.

However, I still think it was entirely unfair to the woman who had to miss her plane.

Great post, though!

Cheers,
Strype

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I guess, sometimes, it is worth almost anything to get some people out of town.

I don't travel much anymore, but it might be worth it for any of these transportation companies to put in larger and fewer seats which would hold the fewer passengers they are serving and the fat a@##@s that are traveling.

But, I still stand by my first statement.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by The Chez

I always thought that people should pay proportional to their weight to fly on the airplane. This should remove any unjust feelings and give people more incentive to lose weight. Would not be very practical I know but somethings to think about.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
This thread has taken a few directions...fat v thin, carrier policy and size of seating being the main ones.

What do you think of this one...Michael O'Learys idea of putting 'bar stools' on planes to increase passenger numbers and reduce the cost of flights?

Source

And as for the original source of the story...the Daily Mail...I mean, come on. If their headline isn't 'YOU"RE ALL GOING TO DIE', then it's...

'YOU"RE ALL GOING TO DIE ...SOON'

People who read the Mail really need a good slap.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
In Canada they've ruled that they CAN'T charge for 2 seats to obese people because it's discriminatory.

Just saying.

Airplanes should make ``special areas`` for obese people... Some of them are basically handicapped...

And this is sad that a 14 years old is already that size...

[edit on 28-7-2010 by Vitchilo]

They already do have such an area. It's called cargo. Kidding aside, We have no idea why this girl is obese , it could be a hormonal condition or it could just as likely be an overeating problem and lack of exercise.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
make way for the lard ass!
no way would i of budged from my seat due to some obese
selfish fool.
American by any chance?
and dont throw in the "its genetics" debate.

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join