It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soon No One Will Be Classed as Normal According to Mental Health Experts

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TV_Nation

Originally posted by VneZonyDostupa

Originally posted by TV_Nation

You just made a very good point...

This is HARD for people to grasp.

The average person looks for a remedy when they are told they have something "wrong" with them, even if it is minimal.

I don't know? Maybe chalk it up to indoctrination.

Again, you're assuming a situation which isn't happening. The premise of your OP is that these new diagnoses are being foisted upon the public without, but then go on to say people are seeking treatment because they are being told something is wrong with them. Well, which is it? Are the new diagnoses secret, or are they common knowledge? And who is telling people something si wrong with them? Psychiatrists? Why are they going to them in the first place?

Sorry I worded my statement poorly. When I said looks for a remedy I really meant blindly accepts any medication a doctor recommends.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by TV_Nation]

Primary care docs rarely are able to prescribe anything beyond a low level anti-depressant, and they most certainly do not diagnose more than a handful of the disorders listed in the DSM.

So, again, why are these people going to a psychiatrist if they don't want their help or their drugs?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

I have to admit, I giggled to myself a bit thinking of that image,

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
So what are they saying? We're just going to need a new classification of normal?

Symptom:
New class of normal

Treatment:
take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning.

hahahaha

call you WHAT in the morning ???
abnormal again ????

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Are these guys working with these guys?? Who are working with pharma to classify and medicate you. Embrace the change...

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

Case in point:

Doctors Reap Millions for Anemia Drugs
By ALEX BERENSON and ANDREW POLLACK
Published: May 9, 2007

www.nytimes.com...

Two of the world’s largest drug companies are paying hundreds of millions of dollars to doctors every year in return for giving their patients anemia medicines, which regulators now say may be unsafe at commonly used doses.

The payments are legal, but very few people outside of the doctors who receive them are aware of their size. Critics, including prominent cancer and kidney doctors, say the payments give physicians an incentive to prescribe the medicines at levels that might increase patients’ risks of heart attacks or strokes.

Industry analysts estimate that such payments — to cancer doctors and the other big users of the drugs, kidney dialysis centers — total hundreds of millions of dollars a year and are an important source of profit for doctors and the centers. The payments have risen over the last several years, as the makers of the drugs, Amgen and Johnson & Johnson, compete for market share and try to expand the overall business.

Neither Amgen nor Johnson & Johnson has disclosed the total amount of the payments. But documents given to The New York Times show that at just one practice in the Pacific Northwest, a group of six cancer doctors received $2.7 million from Amgen for prescribing $9 million worth of its drugs last year.

[edit on 7/27/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

Case in point:

Doctors Reap Millions for Anemia Drugs
By ALEX BERENSON and ANDREW POLLACK
Published: May 9, 2007

www.nytimes.com...

Two of the world’s largest drug companies are paying hundreds of millions of dollars to doctors every year in return for giving their patients anemia medicines, which regulators now say may be unsafe at commonly used doses.

The payments are legal, but very few people outside of the doctors who receive them are aware of their size. Critics, including prominent cancer and kidney doctors, say the payments give physicians an incentive to prescribe the medicines at levels that might increase patients’ risks of heart attacks or strokes.

Industry analysts estimate that such payments — to cancer doctors and the other big users of the drugs, kidney dialysis centers — total hundreds of millions of dollars a year and are an important source of profit for doctors and the centers. The payments have risen over the last several years, as the makers of the drugs, Amgen and Johnson & Johnson, compete for market share and try to expand the overall business.

Neither Amgen nor Johnson & Johnson has disclosed the total amount of the payments. But documents given to The New York Times show that at just one practice in the Pacific Northwest, a group of six cancer doctors received $2.7 million from Amgen for prescribing $9 million worth of its drugs last year.

I've never denied that some doctors get kickbacks for prescribing certain drugs.

If you'll read the article you posted, they point out that the problem isn't that patients without anemia are being given anemia drugs, it's that pay-outs were influencing a small number of doctors to prescribe one anemia drug over another.

This is not at all related to the argument made in this thread earlier that people without disorders are being medicated. If the article you posted showed that non-anemics were being given anemia drugs, you would have a case. However, this article simply highlights what I mentioned earlier: drug preference can be swayed by pay-outs rather than research.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
The way it works is that you can act/be whatever you want and not be ill, but that moment you step into an office, then you can become "sick". But if you have money and are doing well in life, you can be free to act really anyway you want and not worry about "having something".

So even if there are some odd disorders like temperment disregulation disorder, or whatever, they are only applied to people who are admitting something is wrong by walking into an office. And if you say something is wrong, they will be more than happy to label you with something.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by ghaleon12]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12
The way it works is that you can act/be whatever you want and not be ill, but that moment you step into an office, then you can become "sick". But if you have money and are doing well in life, you can be free to act really anyway you wan and not worry about "having something".

What does having money and doing well in life have to do with walking into a psych office? I wasn't aware that poor people were routinely shuttled into the nearest psychiatric center. I also wasn't aware that poor people weren't allowed to refuse medical treatment, should then be brought to a hospital for being indigent.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   

The way it works is that you can act/be whatever you want and not be ill, but that moment you step into an office, then you can become "sick". But if you have money and are doing well in life, you can be free to act really anyway you wan and not worry about "having something".

What does having money and doing well in life have to do with walking into a psych office? I wasn't aware that poor people were routinely shuttled into the nearest psychiatric center. I also wasn't aware that poor people weren't allowed to refuse medical treatment, should then be brought to a hospital for being indigent.

Actually here in Ann Arbor, homeless people are routinely shuffled into the psychiatrists office at the county homeless shelter, and their service partners offices at Project Outreach (PORT). And if they refuse treatment, well, forget about it. And no, not all homeless people are homeless because of a diagnosable mental illness or a substance abuse issue, contrary to popular belief.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

That's not really what I was saying. My point is this idea of "no one will be considered normal" is a joke even if they do expand the different disorders to include pretty much every normal human emotion possible. Reason being people don't go to see psychiatrists if they are feeling alright. "Everyone" can't get judged within the scope of the medical profession unless they step into an office. Just like court.

And in all seriousness, people are absolutely fine in life if they can provide an income for themselves. And as long as people are making money, no one cares about anyone's sickness. The point of living in America isn't to be healthy, it's to make money. Not that I want it that way, but that's how it is. Horribly sick, but making money? You're a success story!!

[edit on 27-7-2010 by ghaleon12]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
If the world is insane and I am the last sane one, who gets thrown in the asylum?

The only mental disorder I have is an old Hawaiian malady-Lak-a-nuki

The good thing is, all it takes is a good Lei to cure.

What exactly is NORMAL? If normality is defined by the very people that run this asylum, put me in the abnormal column. Just do not attempt to put me on any mood enhancers or controllers.

Oh wait, that is almost impossible in modern day foods and water.

How many chemicals are affecting our mental facilities be they consciously consumed or in our water or foods?

Then we have the ever prevailing onslaught of lies and manipulation created by the media saturated lives we lead.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Actually here in Ann Arbor, homeless people are routinely shuffled into the psychiatrists office at the county homeless shelter, and their service partners offices at Project Outreach (PORT). And if they refuse treatment, well, forget about it. And no, not all homeless people are homeless because of a diagnosable mental illness or a substance abuse issue, contrary to popular belief.

Of course not all homeless people are mentally ill, and homeless people also can't afford drugs, so I fail to see the connection you're drawing here.

It's also worth mentioning that 20-40% of homeless individuals are estimated to be mentally ill, with 20% being severely mentally ill. That's quite far above the national average of 6%.

Mental illness among the homeless

Homelessness and mental illness

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

If food, water, and television are being used to create mental illness by some "higher group", where, exactly, do they and their children get their food, water, and television? Where do their assistants get it? And those people's family and assistants? And so on, and so on. Wouldn't we need a massive food industry to provide for these people?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
If the world is insane and I am the last sane one, who gets thrown in the asylum?

Um... the correct answer was Sam Neill. Sam... Neill.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f2f9322a6c23.jpg[/atsimg]

John Carpenter for $200 please Alex...

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
WHAT NORMAL, excuse me for thinking. ANOTHER WAY OF CONTROL, hi how you doing? TRY AGAIN, useless mind. I AM IN CONTROL, you are in control. THANK YOU.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Of course not all homeless people are mentally ill, and homeless people also can't afford drugs, so I fail to see the connection you're drawing here.

It's also worth mentioning that 20-40% of homeless individuals are estimated to be mentally ill, with 20% being severely mentally ill. That's quite far above the national average of 6%.

Mental illness among the homeless

Homelessness and mental illness

Connection:

Homeless patient+prescription=dollars for Doctor.
Multiply that by, oh I don't know, let's say 3000 people, and that = BIG DOLLARS.

And who is doing the estimating? The doctors diagnosing and prescribing and reeling in the incentives.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
SO, DO NOT FORGET THAT, YOU ARE IN CONTROL. You see, that is why i like a difference in oppinon, even if yo cuss. This is what they do not want and i am the opposite.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Great. A good excuse to make everyone think they are crazy.

In psychology, the most dangerous thing to affects someone mind is a diagnoses.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

And the homeless are getting the dollars from....where?

Medicare doesn't typically pay for psychiatric drugs beyond a handful of antidepressants without several counseling visits, and most homeless people aren't enrolled in Medicare to begin with.

I'm still not seeing the connection here. You're missing one component in your equation: the dollars.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

I never said mental illness was being created by a higher entity. I said that the chemicals and our environment are affecting the mental facilities. Illness has nothing to do with it.

This society has created a people that think anything that is in their lives can be cured or manipulated by some wonder drug. Just turn on the propaganda tube and watch the blatant big pharma cures. Restless legs, take this. Feeling sluggish, take this. etc. Then at the end of the ad, we get a 3 sec warning of the death, coma, blindness, etc possibilities of said cure. I am all for free advertising but I would think chemicals and medication should be required to have the downside of the product have the same time allotted in the ad.

There are other components also such as chemicals like aspartame, flouride, etc that have been PROVEN to be detrimental to cognitive reasoning yet those thing permeate almost every product out there.

Just saying that the majority of our maladies seem to be directly related to the poisons and chemicals that saturate our products. Amazing how the incidences of such things as cancer, diabetes etc have increased percentage wise to population, since the introduction of all these chemicals. I believe environmental impact of the mental capabilities and reasoning could be directly related as well.

[edit on 7/27/2010 by endisnighe]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join