It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soon No One Will Be Classed as Normal According to Mental Health Experts

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

It is my opinion that:
Some disorders and pharmacological "treatments" are contrived/fabricated for the sole purpose of making a profit off the unsuspecting consumer or the uneducated mark. Doctors are given financial incentives by the pharmacutical industry to prescribe.
But that's just my opinion.

You didn't answer my question. As our understanding of the brain/psyche and our diagnostic technology increases in complexity, why wouldn't our classification of diagnoses increase, too?

And I don't disagree with you that some doctors are offered trips, food, etc, to encourage prescribing drugs, but the patient also has the ability to refuse a prescription or choose another doctor if they feel they are being taken advantage of. I know I personally do not allow drug reps to enter my office or talk to me about drugs, and several of my colleagues have the same policy. There are bad people and good people in every profession.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TV_Nation

That's fine if you are on board with all of these classifications.

I'm not fine with the classifications in your article...because they aren't in the DSM and are just a collection of random words used out of context to drum up page views and fear.

There is a big problem with the diagnoses of mental illness in this country and it is fueled by greed.

I agree...but the DSM V is not the source of this. The drug reps and poor psychiatric education are the root. Personally, I think psychiatrists as a whole are quacks and always ask for a psychologist when I need a consult for a patient. They rarely give drugs and prefer instead to talk to the patient to find the root of the problem.

That being said, poor performance by psychiatrists doesn't give you free reign to drum up false fears and paranoia.

I suggest you take a look at this thread to see what lengths these experts will go to.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Supporting an ATS thread with another ATS thread (in which another poor source is used as "evidence") isn't exactly an air tight defense, sorry.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

There's one person who will be normal at all costs, all times. Why? Because this person wishes to have all 'mentally afflicted persons' banned from forums.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

An virtual 'unknown', possessing the mental fortitude to take all our afflictions on himself, like Superman, or Jesus. A real Cinderella Story.... We don't even have to speak, because this guy wants anyone who is 'mental', cataloged, and once identified, banned from discourse. He will do the speaking for us!!!

Think of the nwo possibilities!! A real LIST of the mentally afflicted!!!

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

“temper dysregulation disorder

If they decide to do this, which is still undetermined, it might be a good thing.

Currently it is felt that some groups of children are being overly-diagnosed with Bi-Polar Disorder. Childhood Bi-Polar Disorder does not always *look like* adult Bi-Polar Disorder, not to imply that childhood Bi-Polar Disorder doesn't exist.

The new diagnoses would provide for the children who have criteria similar to the disorder, but perhaps not enough to meet the full criteria, or has other twists and turns.
Consequently, the "lesser diagnoses" of TDD would offer itself as more of a "childhood", type disorder such as ODD, ADHD, and the like. (Sigh, not to say that adults don't sometimes carry these diagnoses also, though they are more typically associated with childhood disorders.)
It would be a "lesser", diagnosis, so to speak. Not a bad thing.

[edit on 7/27/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
well without going into too much detail,
I worked with the DSM IV quite a bit
in a former job about 8 years ago.
And it is literally bigger than most
yellow page phone books.

And I just had to LMAO when I read
this thread. I'm glad to know that I'm
normal being abnormal !!! hahahaha

But seriously, you can look into the symptoms
of many of the illnesses in the DSM IV and
associate it with almost any current
symptoms you may be having.
He!!, at one time I thought I had
2-3 dozen of these disorders

I'm glad to know now
that I'm just normal

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

I have been saying this for the longest time. They now have a "condition" for everything, though try and diagnose people things that they don't have. I believe that this is mostly due to big pharma and getting the population hooked on their drugs/chemicals, however it has much more grave implications. Take for instance the 2nd Amendment, to where authorities are making it harder and harder for us to keep and bear arms. They are now starting to prevent people with "mental disabilities" from purchasing or owning weapons. I guarantee that if you go and see a mental health professional in this day in age, they are going to send you away with a prescription of something and possibly a diagnosis too.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

But seriously, you can look into the symptoms
of many of the illnesses in the DSM IV and
associate it with almost any current
symptoms you may be having.
He!!, at one time I thought I had
2-3 dozen of these disorders

I'm glad to know now
that I'm just normal

That's common in a lot of medical fields, especially among people who know only enough to "be dangerous", so to speak. When I was a second year medical student (again, enough knowledge to be dangerous without fully understanding the nuances of diagnosis), I was ABSOLUTELY convinced I had type 2 diabetes for about a month. A classmate of mine was sure he had sleep apnea and ADD. It turns out, I was just drinking a lot more water than I thought due to the heat, and he was just a light sleeper who consequently couldn't focus much, due to poor sleep habits.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Normal people creep me out.

That's why I like hanging out here with my fellow mentally deranged weirdos.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by VneZonyDostupa

I'm not fine with the classifications in your article...because they aren't in the DSM and are just a collection of random words used out of context to drum up page views and fear.

So you have gone over all 900+ pages of the DSM?

[edit on 27-7-2010 by TV_Nation]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon

I guarantee that if you go and see a mental health professional in this day in age, they are going to send you away with a prescription of something and possibly a diagnosis too.

--airspoon

Then...don't go to one? Why is this such a hard concept for people here to grasp? If you don't like psychologists/psychiatrists, and you don't like their drugs...don't seek their help. It's as simple as that.

You people act like there are gangs of psychiatrists wandering the streets at night, forcing the unexpecting victim to take Zoloft.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

DSM-IV, yes. I've also gone over all the current additions/correction that have posted for the DSM V to date.

Why is it so hard to believe I might actually understand a textbook that I have to consult from time to time?

[edit on 7/27/2010 by VneZonyDostupa]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

It is my opinion that:
Some disorders and pharmacological "treatments" are contrived/fabricated for the sole purpose of making a profit off the unsuspecting consumer or the uneducated mark. Doctors are given financial incentives by the pharmacutical industry to prescribe.
But that's just my opinion.

You didn't answer my question. As our understanding of the brain/psyche and our diagnostic technology increases in complexity, why wouldn't our classification of diagnoses increase, too?

And I don't disagree with you that some doctors are offered trips, food, etc, to encourage prescribing drugs, but the patient also has the ability to refuse a prescription or choose another doctor if they feel they are being taken advantage of. I know I personally do not allow drug reps to enter my office or talk to me about drugs, and several of my colleagues have the same policy. There are bad people and good people in every profession.

First of all... APPLAUSE! to you and your colleagues for not being a part of the problem. Second, I'll answer your question with a question. Why should our classification of diagnoses increase as our understanding of the brain/psych increases. Third, if many doctors are being offered the same incentives to prescibe, then what are the chances of an uninformend or complacent patient being lulled into the same scenario by another doctor.
And this is the point of my argument. If these diagnoses are legitimate, and the need to prescribe is legitimate, then why are doctors being given incentives to prescribe in the first place? They are obligated to their patients, not to the pharmacutical industry, or to their bank accounts.

[edit on 7/27/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon

I guarantee that if you go and see a mental health professional in this day in age, they are going to send you away with a prescription of something and possibly a diagnosis too.

--airspoon

Then...don't go to one? Why is this such a hard concept for people here to grasp? If you don't like psychologists/psychiatrists, and you don't like their drugs...don't seek their help. It's as simple as that.

You people act like there are gangs of psychiatrists wandering the streets at night, forcing the unexpecting victim to take Zoloft.

You just made a very good point...

This is HARD for people to grasp.

The average person looks for a remedy when they are told they have something "wrong" with them, even if it is minimal.

I don't know? Maybe chalk it up to indoctrination.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

I'm sure it's not a personal problem for anyone who is aware of the alleged problem, however it does affect our loved-ones and society as a whole. Furthermore, sometimes it isn't even up to us whether we see one or not. Sometimes, it is wholly dependent on your employer and other times it is beyond anyone's control, such is the case after a hospitalization for either a car wreck or something similar.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
So what are they saying? We're just going to need a new classification of normal? More freaking labels in the world...more convenient little pigeonholes to stuff people into. Idiots.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

The average person looks for a remedy when they are told they have something "wrong" with them, even if it is minimal.

Again, you're assuming a situation which isn't happening. The premise of your OP is that these new diagnoses are being foisted upon the public without, but then go on to say people are seeking treatment because they are being told something is wrong with them. Well, which is it? Are the new diagnoses secret, or are they common knowledge? And who is telling people something si wrong with them? Psychiatrists? Why are they going to them in the first place?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

DSM-IV, yes. I've also gone over all the current additions/correction that have posted for the DSM V to date.

Why is it so hard to believe I might actually understand a textbook that I have to consult from time to time?

[edit on 7/27/2010 by VneZonyDostupa]

It was just a question not an attack...

Take it easy pal

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Again, you're assuming a situation which isn't happening. The premise of your OP is that these new diagnoses are being foisted upon the public without, but then go on to say people are seeking treatment because they are being told something is wrong with them. Well, which is it? Are the new diagnoses secret, or are they common knowledge? And who is telling people something si wrong with them? Psychiatrists? Why are they going to them in the first place?

Sorry I worded my statement poorly. When I said looks for a remedy I really meant blindly accepts any medication a doctor recommends.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by TV_Nation]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

It will take the rest of the evening to get this imagery out of my head!
.........Or, maybe I'll just keep it. Too funny.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Why should our classification of diagnoses increase as our understanding of the brain/psych increases.

For the same reason our classification of anatomy has increased over time with better understanding, and the same reason our list of human genes has increased with our understanding.

Do you think it's better, for example, that we just have one disorder named "autism" with one standard treatment, or that we recognize 200 autism-like disorders, all with similar symptoms, but whose underlying cause is different and whose treatment is tailored to that cause?

I know I personally would prefer the most specific diagnosis and treatment, rather than one ineffective "blanket" treatment. Of course, listing these different disorders and treatments requires more pages, which expands the DSM.

Do you see what I'm getting at now?

Third, if many doctors are being offered the same incentives to prescibe, then what are the chances of an uninformend or complacent patient being lulled into the same scenario by another doctor.
And this is the point of my argument. If these diagnoses are legitimate, and the need to prescribe is legitimate, then why are doctors being given incentives to prescribe in the first place? They are obligated to their patients, not to the pharmacutical industry, or to their bank accounts.

Doctors are given incentives to prescribe new forms of drugs, not just drugs in general. Drug companies want you to write for the newest cholesterol drug or anti-depressant, because they still hold a patent on it and there is no cheaper generic. They aren't, however, telling psychiatrists to write prescriptions for patients without disorders. When doctors begin writing larger numbers of scripts, like, say, after a drug rep visits, it raises the attention of the DEA< who licenses for certain drugs. There are many cases of doctors being investigated and having their prescribing rights suspended/removed due to "outside influence" on their script writing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join