It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France declares war against al-Qaida

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Actually, up to 25% of the Legion's enlisted men are Frenchmen. Well they officially enlist claiming to be from the French speaking parts of Belgium and Switzerland but they are really Frenchmen from France itself. IIRC all officers are French Army officers who volunteer for the Legion. I believe the highest rank possible for a foreigner is Adjudant-Major which translates as Warrant Officer Major.

France has a very large and very advanced military. They have tons of elite units ranging from Chasseurs Alpins (mountain infantry) to Troupes de Marine (colonial infantry from Guiana, the Caribbean, French Polynesia, etc).

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

It must be near the end of the world with the French declaring war. It's so ironic that nearly nine years ago they were so adament against the US going to war with Al Qaida.

I just hope that when they get into a bind, which they will, the US don't go to their aid.

Poo on the French!

The French economic and political elite are doing this on the behalf of our economic elite. The people have been, and still are, against the war.

Read the CIA doc.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by bruxfinn

how do you figure that the french are pascifists. they been scrapping none stop since the 1400's . they're just not very good at it. i honestly must of missed something but waht attack on fans?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by WHOS READY

and which country do you live in?

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Well, it's kind of ironic that the french would declare war on a non-existant group..

Then again, France does have a habit of LOOSING any and all military battles anyway, might as well be fighting imaginary "terrorists" to declare themselves winners..

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

listen to the bloke . i live 14 miles from france and spend alot of time there , and yes there are large numbers of immigrants . mostly on the outskirts of the city's. and yes the they do riot and can cause problems. if you think this is all propaganda to get your god squad involved then you are greatly mistaken. what the populace wants the populace gets

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Well, it's kind of ironic that the french would declare war on a non-existant group..

Then again, France does have a habit of LOOSING any and all military battles anyway, might as well be fighting imaginary "terrorists" to declare themselves winners..

~Keeper

Ju so fonny! When the French went to war with its ownself it was a draw and what came out of it is what we call France today. Of course it was called France then but today being French takes on a whole different meaning.

Oh man! I'd like to be a fly on the wall with a bunch of non-existant Al Qaida militias. It would make for a good SNL skit.

[edit on 28/7/10 by Intelearthling]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

i stated that the french are'nt very good at winning fights but they do . the french have been fighting since roman times and have never really stopped . napolean was only defeated with outside help. as someone mentioned before if the free french and resistance had'nt of been around then D-DAY would never of happened . how many french civillians gave there lives for liberty ! yes in ww2 they had the vichy french but the rest of france as the rest of europe was occupied, remember dunkirk. my mother's camp in germany was liberated by french forces and she told me they were compassionate to the inmates but to the germans was a different matter, they were fearsome and fearless. please before anybody else starts calling the french defeatist then i suggest they really have a look at there history

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I cant remember the source but i heard the FFL have stopped Brits and Americans entering because they aren't 'tough enough' lol.

And yes the general french forces are well equipped and well trained.

Whilst Brits love to take the mick out of neighbour we are secretly envious of their patriotism and resolve.

Ps the micky takers forgot to say that their troops will go on strike just before any attack anyway

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
America and France are allies and thus should act accordingly.

However, there is a longstanding feeling of hurt in America about France. The French denunciantion of America has always been perceived, rightly or wrongly, as particularly stinging and nasty in an almost personal sense. There is a feeling that Americans gave their life to help France in World War II and have provided effort and money under NATO, only to be consistantly sneered at, ridiculed, and snubbed in various hurtful ways. French anti-American rhetoric has often been strong and, to many Americans, seemingly hypocritical. For many years the French media and polticians have thundered against America for just about every crime under the sun, real and imagined. Now that they have their own terrorist problems and are undertaking military action, snide comments from Americans who have long had to put up with constant, wearisome crtiticism by the French are to be expected.

Nevertheless, in the end all individuals should be judged as individuals and not as represntatives of their nations (unless they are heads of state or diplomats, of course). And on ATS we should all strive for politeness with each other, whatever our nationalist or political proclivities.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
If not for France we'd still be British.

And have terrible food.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
So the french have declaired war on al CIAda?
And there are some who don't get the comment that the French have just declared war on the US?

now thats funny.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by da pickles

Ohh I know.

More of a jab at my fellow countrymen I suppose. I am of french descent.

If you want a good laugh, google French Military Victories and hit the "I'm feeling lucky button".

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
This is quite interesting, firstly it’s not that they have declared war, at least formally it’s just some tough words form the French. What’s else is interesting that this “War” is not ageist Al’Qa’ida but rather it is ageist Al’Qa’ida in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) who were used to be called Salafist Group for Preaching and Combat who them self’s originate from a Algerian group called the GIA. The GIA liked to attack France and it has been claimed in 1994 they planned to fly a hijacked plane in to the Effie tower, sound familiar.

AQIM according to some commentators changed their name because they agreed with Bin Laden ideologically and because of the impact it would have holding the brand name “Al’Qa’ida. It has also be said that Bin Laden played some role in the early formation of the group that went on to be known as AQIM and his number two approved the name change at some point between 2003/6. However it is unlikely despite this history that Al’Qa’Ida leadership pay any major role in the operational aspects of AQIM. Therefore this is not a war against what we traditionally think of as being “Al’Qa’ida” rather it is a “war” against a old French enemy using the name “Al’Qa’Ida”.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
More French people were guilty of collaborating with the occupying German forces than were actively involved with The French Resistance.

The Free French Forces which De Gaulle commanded came mainly from France's colonial territories; Senegal, Tahiti, Morocco, Algeria etc.

The French have a very strong national identity and sense of superiority and can be very determined when this drives them.
However, their Gallic temperament can be a handicap when things get rough.

Of course that is a generalisation.

We Brits have been at odds with them one way or another for about the last thousand years or so and we have a natural suspicion of each other.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by da pickles
reply to post by bruxfinn

how do you figure that the french are pascifists. they been scrapping none stop since the 1400's . they're just not very good at it. i honestly must of missed something but waht attack on fans?

The France of today is hardly the France of the ancient regime. Nevertheless...everyone is quite aware of France's approach to international affairs and an article about France declaring war on Al Qaeda stands out as an unusual event. Any notion that this is not strange and out of place is just lying.

North Korea, Iran, Venezuela, Cuba...don't shut up about wars...and France actually declared war on something before any of them.

earlier this month al shabaab (al qaeda in Somalia) murdered 76 people in Uganda for watching the world cup...

the point is that a silent war has begun and france (a nation over 1500 years old) has decided all of the sudden to destroy al qaeda (a gay social club with ambitions of global domination).

Charlemagne is about to end the wars of this age completely...the big guns, the immortals are coming out to fight.

it's great actually... i'm all abuzz over here.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

What ignorance you and others display over the French. While the US were being isolationist the French were bleeding themselves to victory in WW1 and bleeding themselves to defeat in WW2 agaist a war machine which would have rolled over any nation at the time.

The French have been active if Afghanistan since 2001 and have fought in numerous conflicts since WW2, including struggling against terrorism - including sharing the pain in the 1983 Beirut bombings.

Why are people so poorly informed and stereotyped about French military history?

Deny ignorance

Regards

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

I have to agree with you and disagree. I think MS was making a comment in jest and think you might have gone a bit far in your criticism by singling out one particular member. On ATS we often get annoyed by other peoples ignorance but I don’t think we should, we cannot all know everything. I somebody is ignorant of the role France in the war on terrorism they should be informed not ridiculed for being ignorant. You are however correct in you assessment of the role of the French in the war on terrorism they have played a role and an important one. Despite not making the point myself initially I do agree with you.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
reply to post by MemoryShock

While the US were being isolationist the French were bleeding themselves to victory in WW1 and bleeding themselves to defeat in WW2 agaist a war machine which would have rolled over any nation at the time.

Not any nation, one stood alone against it

The french problem in WW2 was that they had armed themselves for a different war than the one they got. Their big slow heavy tanks and military doctrine just weren't prepared for the blitz attack of the Germans.

Nevertheless, their reputation is wholly undeserved. They can be a formidable foe when their blood rises and as other members have mentioned, 1000 years of fighting them has given us a unique perception of their mindset and abilities.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
reply to post by paraphi

I have to agree with you and disagree. I think MS was making a comment in jest and think you might have gone a bit far in your criticism by singling out one particular member. On ATS we often get annoyed by other peoples ignorance but I don’t think we should, we cannot all know everything. I somebody is ignorant of the role France in the war on terrorism they should be informed not ridiculed for being ignorant. You are however correct in you assessment of the role of the French in the war on terrorism they have played a role and an important one. Despite not making the point myself initially I do agree with you.

But isn't that what makes this article unusual...France is ALREADY fighting Al Qaeda... and has been for quite some time.

Why a separate article ... reporting stronger language than the French usually use in international affaris.

Something has changed...this is a different situation. It seems obvious that if you fight Al Qaeda anywhere then you are fighting them everywhere, so this article carries a far deeper, more subtle intent.

This war is in its final weeks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join