It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ouija boards; A story and discussion?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Can "bad electric wiring" unlock doors? And can it walk in the attic? Well our family thought it might have been something paranormal that few days after my grandfathers death there were strange things going on like we always close all doors and lock them, but that morning we saw that all of the doors wasn't just unlocked but wide open. And then we heard someone walking in the attic but at the time attic was pretty much sealed and no one went there. But I guess the bad wiring caused door to unlock and open. I mean wires can do that - they open doors?

What with all the physical experiences - I'm not talking know about "i have a feeling I'm being watched" or "I think I saw some dark figure". What I mean is - things catching up on fire, and stuff flying around.

Well excuse my of topic story that doesn't have anything common with Ouija boards. But you are being terribly scientific.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Ouiji boards are like guns. They only work when a human uses them.

Ouiji boards work, as will anything else you want to use (a candle, mirror etc) because your "calling out" to the spirit world. This opens a doorway and attracts earthbound spirits to you. If they are strong enough, they can interact with you on the board. If they dont want to leave, they may stay a while in your home.

Ouiji boards are dangerous, like guns, because they have the potential for disaster, and Im talking severe physical hauntings, and possession. I have experienced and treated both for my clients.

I wouldnt recommend anyone ever try one, unless they are prepared to deal with the consequences of "worst case scenario" as there is no amount of prayer that can protect you from something bad coming through.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Now you are laughing at an old man.

well I just want science to take certain things seriously but that could be career suicide.

there is something going on.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by archasama

Can "bad electric wiring" unlock doors? And can it walk in the attic?

No but if it effects your brain in the right way it just might make you think those things are happening.

I mean wires can do that - they open doors?

What's with repeating yourself over and over. I never claimed that all paranormal experiences were bad wiring or anything else. I was just offering alternate explanations. Of course if those explanations are found to NOT be the case we move on to other causes. At the end if no natural explanation can be found then and only then do we deem it unknown or paranormal. I have had paranormal experiences as well.

But you are being terribly scientific.

There is something wrong with that how? I don't like to base my world views on anecdotal stories or other people's experiences. Even my own subjective paranormal experiences are not beyond my skepticism because of how flawed human perception truly is. Only when things are objectively verified through evidence, experimentation and observation do they become legitimate. And yes science does that, it looks for objective evidence. Until a Ouija board can be proven without the human variable I have no reason to see it as anything other than the alphabet on wood.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Robbed In Albion.

alright well since we're talking about supernatural anything, and won't get into the cherub or voice since I've done so out the ying yang already and like those and because of those I research/ed the scriptures and other sources to investigate "what in the world happened and what does it mean" and there are others things like an outer body, which is the latest but have'nt found any relation to what I saw..yet, so anyway one night laying in bed this spirit/ghostlike near invisible/no colors distinguishable (like in movie Predator I guess) figure seemed to hover near parallel over me trying to say something but could'nt make out any distinct features other than appeared to be saying something, this was fairly recent as within last few years and described it specifically as making my hair stand up, it got a little more standy uppish when found this-

Then a spirit passed before my face; the hair of my flesh stood up:
It stood still, but I could not discern the form thereof: an image was before mine eyes, there was silence, and I heard a voice, saying,
Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker? Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly: How much less in them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation is in the dust, which are crushed before the moth?-Job4.14

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

But you are being terribly scientific.

There is something wrong with that how?

Exactly.
Reality is merely light interepreted by our brains, and without the use of science, we'd never uncover the truth behind the reality.

The likelihood is, there is little likelihood of true paranormal activities in connection to Ouija boards, etc. so why not at least put forward a relevant scientific possibility?

The reality here on the boards is, there seem to be people who are adamant that the paranormal is without a doubt real, and those who are skeptical and want to look for a logical explanation.
Neither of these types are going to win an argument, but that's the whole point. The arguments raises theories and questions that may not have arised otherwise, and help us understand more than just the topic at hand.

Back on on on topic, I've come to the conclusion that I don't think Ouija boards can / do / will contact the dead, however after a spot of brunch, I may do some digging to find some more.. 'extreme' cases. I'll post what I find up here, to hopefully continue the debate!

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
The paraonormal is with a doubt real. I am also interested in the possibility of electrical pollution giving "psychic" effects. Not to mention possible earth magnetism givng effects.

How ever the content of the message is of importance also is it really a revelation??

Thereis something there.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Tiger5

You're suggesting that whether or not people believe in the paranormal, an experience with a Ouija board, such as 'a spirit contacting them' (whether it is a spirit, or their mind playing tricks), their mind is trying to send them a message?

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I have witnessed and been part of many "spiritual phenomenon". Some were fascinating, other experiences literally made me # my pants.
I have never personally used Ouija boards, but I have used crystals, radios and EVP recordings.
Many of my experiences many will not believe, so I usually do not share. If anyone is interested, u2u me

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I wouldn't mess with it.
Humans with their mind power are portals to and from other worlds(i don't specify the type of world).
Human Psyche and Immagination on the other hand is very very underestimated as just being illusory, yet if through us illusions affect reality,
then they are as real as reality itself.

Some doors are better left unopened, unless you are prepared and know what to expect, or do it for a specific reason.

As Constantine pointed out in the movie Costantine, if you see them they see you.

The paranormal is and will be the less known and understood topic.
I have yet to find something or someone that explains paranormal phenomena as a whole.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I kinda had my first experience with the Ouija board ruined the other night.
I was watching very close the person who arranged the night and noticed that her arm and finger would move ever so slightly before the pointer would move.

And only "Spirits" that she new would reply.
And nothing would happen if she wasn't involved.

I wanted to believe in it but left disappointed and cynical.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Do not use a Ouija board, have one in your home or go near one!

My story: I lived in Los Angeles at the time and this was a time in my life where I was daring and wanted to experiment with different things. So I bought a Ouija Board from a friend that said it was an older one and belonged to his parents. One weekend evening several friends had dropped by to chat, drink beer and listen to music. I ask if anyone would like to use the Ouija Board and all but a couple of people said yes, it might be fun. I brought the board out, laid it on a table and ask who would like to be first - my best friend said she would. It took a while to get any messages but once it started it didn't seem to want to quit. It spelled out a guys name(I will call him Donald) that was in the room, (age 19) and then proceeded to spell out words such as Jesus - careful - kill - stay - police. Then we received an entire sentence - You will die! So we got a little scared (Donald got real scared and left) and we put the board away. Went on to other things and didn't think much more about it. The next day my friend that was using the board with me called to tell me Donald had been killed (she was hysteical as I was after hearing the news). He was stopped by the police because and they ask him from a distance to get out of the car, he did and they shot him point blank. They mistook him for someone that was wanted for murder, their story was that he was reaching for a weapon. A weapon was never found. Donald was a great guy and had never been in trouble. Perhaps the board was trying to warn him, but there is no way to know this for certain. If I had received this news without the incident of using the Ouija Board I wouldn't be carrying this around with me my entire life wondering if I had not used the board would he not have died.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I have had a couple friends use them a few years ago,after trying for a while & getting nothing they were going to give up when a drinking glass shot across the room shattering into many pieces,they were scared for weeks after,they got rid straight away.
Myself i would try it unless i had people i could really trust not to make things up,it's one of those things you want to try but for some reason won't

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Hmmm.. not sure I would actually recommend the use of Ouija boards to anyone, everyones different and handles situations differently and I think it would be dangerous to assume that a person should use this medium to contact the dead, demons or the spirit realm in general. But, that said, I also have to say, if a Ouija board is used properly (and I am speaking of a properly, self made board, not a Parker Bros game board) with caution and protections they can be fun and even useful at times.
My main Ouija story happened in Highschool in the late 1990s.. there was a small group of friends and myself who got into the Occult and Magicks but at our age, really hadnt much of a clue. But we were making simple Ouija boards, there was an incantation one of us came across to say right before starting. We contacted an entity who claimed to be 'Plague' spelt wrong..all of us were extremely serious about what we were trying to do, and none of it was done lightly or in a joking playfuly manner at all..and everytime we would be on it, apparently it was always the same entity we contacted pretty much isntantly..it would ask us questions, and we would ask questions and this went on in this way for a couple of weeks alltogether. But none of us were at all aware of what the sun and the moon are for on the boards and I am sure there are many different interpretations of them, the one i have come to know is that one lets the being see who its 'speaking' with and the other lets them smell..not knowing this, and me being an absolute idiot, using the Ouija board on my own one night, again I contacted this entity claiming to be Plague (I'm guessing of the Four Horsemen) and it took me to the moon symbol first off, I didnt try to stop it from going there because I didnt know its purpose. and that is meant to have let it out of the spirit realm.. After that things got a bit strange.. poltergeist activity in my house and my closest friends house miles apart, books seriously falling off shelves, near misses of things randomly being thrown at our head and an all around presense of pure malicious...humour. Obviously we were scared ****less, and all we could do were Wiccan based protections. About a week after that, one friends sister and 3 other girls that were connected even by close friendship also died over a period a little over a week..2 car crashes and a suicide.
After this though, things went quiet and we finally found someone to help us get the entity back into its own realm. Now, it seems that realm itself has put me on the 'ignore list', any attempt since to use a homemade board has simply taken me to 'goodbye' and thats that. Which is a good thing im sure.. but a lifetime ban for being a stupid teenager? a bit harsh maybe lol
none of this is bs by the way.. believe me or not really, but it did happen and it was a very transitional point in my life.
OP, be careful and alert of everything you do and say when interacting with a Ouija board, but all together they are probably best left unmade (or for the Parker Bros one, unwrapped)..

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ProdigalSon

I would have said this in a similar way...

One very unusual and disturbing experience when I was @ 16 while visiting a relative who "daubbled" in such things and honestly I have ever been near another or allowed one in my residence.

Old farmhouse...the planchet seemed to vibrate and felt like it moved by itself after hours of "play" by a group of bored ladies and spelled out the name of someone who had been hung from a tree in the front yard years before for stealing a horse.

Spelled out some terrible things as well,lots of foul language...my relative promptly sent me home the next day.No one knew who the "entity" was until the owner of the house was asked about the name some time later and he had a journal describing the hanging incident to prove that the man had been in his family history as well as hung for theft without a trial in the late 1800's.

Some doors should remain firmly closed.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
My advice would be to stay clear of Ouija boards.

My experience from a session years ago with my mother, father, and sister would suggest that something real does happen.
If it is spirits, which I believe, then we were lucky as ours was kind and very informative.
We learnt all about her life, her children, how she died and even where she was buried.

As a family we still talk about it occasionally mainly because my sister's kids are always asking about it.

We have all agreed we would never do it again.

Waddington the board game company actually launched it as a product in the UK, I think in the 70s or 80s but it was fairly quickly withdrawn after complaints.

My advice stay clear.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

used a Ouija board?

Yes. Several times.

Tell us your story!
What was your experience?

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Depends on the people present. When somebody is deliberately trying to move the planchette, it's usually pretty obvious. And once I had someone who was obviously moving it, but denied it. Whether he was a lier or delusional, I'm not sure. And I had one partner who really wanted it to work, but it just didn't. So we sat there for a while and eventually just gave up. And a few times it's seemed like it's working, but the answers are gibberish.

Actually, the majority of times I've used a ouija board it's been something like that. Doesn't work for one reason or another. But then sometimes it does work, and it's clear that none of the hands are moving it, and the answers are intelligible.

I think it depends a lot on the people involved. Ouija boards just don't work for some people, just like some people can't be hypnotized. But with a ouija board, you seem to need at least two suitable people, so it's more difficult to get to work well.

Did it frighten you?

Not usually, but I'm not the sort of personality who would go into something like this looking to be scared for the "thrill." There are people who do. If we take the entire premise of a ouija board at face value, the whole idea of telepathically contacting "spirits" and things...it seems reasonable to guess that the motivations and thoughts of the people involved would influence the sort of being you'd be likely to come into contact with.

People who go looking for a thrill might be more likely to get one.

Would you reccommend it?

That requires some context to answer. I mean, I wouldn't "recommend" everyone go use a ouija board as a good way to spend an evening the way I might recommend Utah as a good place to go skiing. A ouija board isn't entertainment. It's a tool. Would you "recommend" a saw to someone? Well...if they want to cut wood, then sure. But if you have no interest in cutting anything, then recommending a saw is silly.

If one is of suitable mindset to consider to possibility of psychic contact through use of a tool to facilitate that contact, and one wants to attempt to do so, and if one has suitably like-minded partners to make the attempt with, then yes, I might recommend a ouija board as a suitable tool for that purpose.

But if you just want to have telepathic contact with benevolent non-physical entities, I might recommend prayer as a far more direct method.

Would you condemn it and really fight against it?

I think the "bad stories" you occassionally hear are people who have no business using one. There are people I wouldn't trust with a power drill, either.

If we accept the premise at face value: that it's a tool to facilitate contact with "spirits" and so forth...then it seems pretty obvious that it would be a tool with potential to be used in ways that might not be particularly pleasant.

If you and your buddies get drunk and decide to go "play" with power tools, that also might end badly.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

As a kid, my sister got one for Christmas. We tried it one time and it spelled "You will die". It scared us and we never used it again.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
A lot of really interesting stuff here guys. Thanks for sharing it.

Now, is there anyone out there who wishes to come and try and debunk peoples stories when playing Ouija boards? IE, try and whittle away a story, based entirely on scientific possibilities? I'm intrigued to know as to how you'd explain tables being flung across rooms, of poultergeist activity.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

I got some vague and inaccurate answers to questions that
were so inconsequential I don't even recall exactly what they were

I'd expect this to be a fairly common result.

Again, consider the basic premise: tool to contact spiritual beings. What's our closest analogy? A telephone. If you pick up a phone and dial a random number and ask the person who answer some highly detailed personal questions about your life...are they going to know the answers? Probably not.

If you're going to use a board, I recommend being specific about who or what you want to talk to, and what you want to ask them. You're more likely to receive useful answers. The standard call of "are there any spirits nearby able to speak with us?" is about as likely to generate a useful contact as asking random joggers the same questions.

reply to post by CosmicEgg

about to embark on making my own Ouija board and I would
love some input on what would make it really good.

Design the planchette to have as little friction as possible. Add punctuation to the board. The board itself does not need to be the surface on which the planchette moves. You can make a board, for example, then cover it with glass and place the planchette on that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join