It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Atheists Reportedly Using Hair Dryers to 'De-Baptize'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by slank

just for the record,
it didn't start out on fox news.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by airspoon

perhaps as many of them mature in their beliefs, they will come to the realization that fighting fire with fire only works on paper.

They won't learn because it keeps burning the paper.
rinse lather repeat rinse lather repeat rinse....

[edit on 18-7-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Unfortunately the atheists don't realize they are just as annoying as the jehovah's witnesses when they proselytize.

You're an atheist. We get it. Now please shut up.

Dawkins gets on my nerves as much as the worst evangelical going door to door.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
it scares the kajeebas outta me when i see memes that insist, via social pressures of various kinds, that i must believe as they do (or unbelieve, as the case may be). i will make that decision myself, thank you very much. i only require your reasoning for why i should see your viewpoint, not your condemnation, condescension, or your version of euthanasia.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

I'm an agnostic myself, but atheists to me seem just as absolute and stuck in their own beliefs (or lack of) as religious folks. If they don't believe in religion, why would they make a ritual out of drying tap water off people, to "take away" the baptism? If it never existed in the first place, it's no different than any other water they've been immersed in, right? Some just go out of their way to get a rise out of people they see themselvs opposed to, I guess.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

for the people in question, who are doing it, it seems more like a call to arms. trying to centralize and employ peer pressure of the magnitude not seen since the inquisition. i think we've all just about had enough of that bull dropping.

[edit on 18-7-2010 by undo]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Okay so they get baptized as a kid.

They turn into atheists, which null and voids the baptism.

They decide to point a hair dryer at their forheads to dry up what is essentially dried up tap water from years and years ago.

Kind of childish really. The only reason I can see why they would want to do this is so they would get some recognition. Everyone just ignore them and they will go away. I don't really see the humor in it though. If there is supposed to be humor then why are they trying to make fun of religion. Why cant they just be happy and not pick fights?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Tinkertrain
The only reason I can see why they would want to do this is so they would get some recognition. Everyone just ignore them and they will go away. I don't really see the humor in it though. If there is supposed to be humor then why are they trying to make fun of religion. Why cant they just be happy and not pick fights?

They weren't seeking recognition. Nightline gave them recognition by showing up at their convention. Nightline brought the story to you so you could pick a fight with them. Sucks to be played like a song, doesn't it?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkrunner
Unfortunately the atheists don't realize they are just as annoying as the jehovah's witnesses when they proselytize.

You're an atheist. We get it. Now please shut up.

Dawkins gets on my nerves as much as the worst evangelical going door to door.

I wish I could give you 10 stars.

Religous folks tell you that you will go to hell for not believeing and Atheists will call you stupid and other names FOR believing.

Dawkins is by far more annoying then the loudest evangelist. Atleast them people are smiling and laughing alot. Dawkins always looks as if he is constipated and that he is smarter then everyone alive.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Tinkertrain
Why cant they just be happy and not pick fights?

I'm not interested in organized religion myself, but I'm not going to discount the beliefs of others, as long as they respect mine the same. These people are just being dicks.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Gotta wonder WHY Nightline decided to show this though, don't you? It's so...odd.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

They could have told nightline to go aways.

They could have told nightline not to use their names or faces.

They could have told nightline not to video tape.

They could have not given nightline interviews.

You can stop making excuses.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Tinkertrain

i think dawkins is adorably cute. i love his accent, his mind, most of his ideals. i don't agree with him on everything, obviously, but he has a right to believe them. all i ask of him is to curtail his zealousness on the subject, so that i and others like me, can live in peace. otherwise, this could get real ugly

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

Whats your point?

I find him a smug a hole and you think hes cute. And?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Tinkertrain

i don't go for the whole fight fire with fire thing, so i'm trying not to participate in it. i'm trying not to be condescending, condemning, nor do i want to encourage zealots of either side to literally kill one another or curtail each other's freedoms. don't mind a bit of friendly competition in a game, but this subject is alot more serious.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

well seems to me during the last few elections there's been an increasing number of politically prejudice platforms arising. for example, during one of bush's elections. the whole red states vs. blue states thing came about, and the mud slinging began... not just against the opposing politicians, but against entire sectors of the united states, including things like demographics, skin color, religion (or lack thereof), place of residence (rural, urban or suburban), level of education, IQ test results, and etc. the democratic platform ran on the ideal that blue states were full of bright, well-educated, eco friendly, modern, non religious people. whereas the red states were full of religious wackos, who were basically idiots, greedy, polluting, supporters of the infamous military-industrial complex, and etc. they actually had a map on CNN where the words JESUSLAND, were plastered across the usa, in an attempt to globally humiliate christians in particular, and specifically those christians who were typically conservative republicans. this whole "Embarrass" the believers thing, fits right into that agenda... dichotomy, with future import.

we should all be asking zealots of both sides to take a chill pill.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Ultimately, I don't view this as anything more than a publicity stunt. If TV stations picked up the story it was simply to exploit those rabid christians who get up in arms anytime an atheist story appears anywhere and thereby generate viewership.

That's where I'm at. Stuff like this only has "legs" if people give it "legs".

It's not the Atheists themselves giving it "legs".

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

sadly, it has import for both sides. once you understand that, you can see the need to ask them to rein it in.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by Annee

sadly, it has import for both sides. once you understand that, you can see the need to ask them to rein it in.

No - I don't see that at all.

What I see - is a minor thing - being sensationalized by an outside unrelated force.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

would be minor if it were only one incident, but as a cursory reading of this thread and past history of atheism and religion will reveal, zealotry on these subjects is nothing short of deadly.

turn up the rhetoric and publicize it = asking others of like mind to join in social abuse of a sector of the populace based on belief. can see similar examples in places like stalin's russia. i, for one, don't want hitler or stalin or mao, thanks anyway. common sense will suffice.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join