It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Atheists Reportedly Using Hair Dryers to 'De-Baptize'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

well i'm not muslim and i'm not an atheist, and defend both of their rights to believe what they want provided it isn't used to hurt others. i think we all agree that the public venue is a powerful tool for propagating memes, designed for various purposes. and when it is used to isolate out a belief system, with the aim to popularize it and appeal to the playground bully in all of us, we must resist the urge to support it, because the end game of that is

we should all be painfully aware of this by now. the fact the prejudices are so deep seated that we still overlook the obvious, is the one persistent factor in all of this that boggles the mind.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
where it becomes an issue is when it is used to embarrass and ridicule others. that video of the swedish cartoonist i posted above, is an example of going off the deep end (cartoonist depicted muhammad as a dog) and the resultant backlash.

EVERYONE, including Muslims, needs to realize that they cannot and should not try to control the way other people behave. The Muslims that got violent in the video should have been arrested. They were in the wrong. A cartoon is just a piece of paper. We have to live together in this world and we CANNOT control other people or it will be our downfall.

It's NOT necessary to ridicule others. But we live in a world together. We HAVE to let words and other non-violent behavior slide off our backs. We must learn to do this. We can't let a picture incite violence and then blame those who drew the picture. The picture didn't HURT anyone.

Err on the side of freedom. Those who are offended have to deal with their feelings.

[edit on 7/18/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

EVERYONE, including Muslims, need to realize that they cannot and should not control the way other people behave. The Muslims that got violent in the video should have been arrested. They were in the wrong. A cartoon is just a piece of paper. We have to live together in this world and we CANNOT control other people or it will be our downfall.

It's NOT necessary to ridicule others. But we live in a world together. We HAVE to let words and other non-violent behavior slide off our backs. We must learn to do this. We can't let a picture incite violence and then blame those who drew the picture.

Err on the side of freedom. Those who are offended have to deal with their feelings.

So what you are saying is anything generalized not focused towards any individual should be fair game?

Religion aside I don't see the world that way. I suggest you post a racial joke in the New York Times to prove me wrong.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

And I defend the right of Satire.

This is how it usually goes: people of religion are sensitive and get their feelings hurt when anyone pokes fun at them - their rituals - their invisible "man in the sky".

Atheists however - are godless - therefore have no feelings - and can not be hurt by all the horrible and vicious comments religious people make about them.

As silly as I think it is to de-baptise - - because it gives validity to baptism - - - the hair dryer parody is very funny.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
So what you are saying is anything generalized not focused towards any individual should be fair game?

Legally, yes. If it doesn't actually hurt someone and is protected by free speech, yes.

Religion aside I don't see the world that way. I suggest you post a racial joke in the New York Times to prove me wrong.

What do you want me to prove?

I doubt the NYT would print a racial joke, but there are plenty of publications who would and do.

I'm not saying I personally support racial jokes, or other disrespectful behavior, understand. But if a paper wanted to post a racial joke or Rush Limbaugh wanted to play a song called "The Magic Negro" about Barack Obama, then I think he should be free to do so, and if people are offended, they need to deal with those feelings instead of attacking physically.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

it's a two way street, my friend. atheists have fought long and hard to garner respect for their ideals and theories, why screw it up now by making it a religious issue?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

I doubt the NYT would print a racial joke, but there are plenty of publications who would and do.

Bet they'd print a Redneck joke.

Bet they'd print jokes about women.

There's a reason racism is a sensitive issue. It can have a serious effect on a minority group. IMO

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
If atheists don't believe in God or a Higher Power, then why are they using a ritual to end a Christian belief? I'll tell you why, it is Satan's way to let people know that atheists are human also. That we've got to coddle to their beliefs.

If atheists don't believe in God, then they shouldn't have any problem with taking someones life or someone taking the life of one of their family members. Raping and stealing should be their way of life. Don't give me that crap that atheists can have morals also. That would be double-standard.

Make up your mind atheists. If you truly don't believe, then start going out and killing every Christian you find so that you can live in your perfect world. Nothing will happen to you lawfully because you are following your "religious" convictions and we do have freedom of religion. You won't go to Hell when you die because none exists and you won't go to Heaven because it's as real as Hell.

When you die, you'll just cease to exist and therefore life is meaningless so since it's now meaningless, go ahead and kill yourselves after you've taken the lives of your enemies .

Are you scared to?

[edit on 18/7/10 by Intelearthling]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

well if anyone should know how damaging zealotry can be, atheists should. and as i said in my first post, i expect them to protect me from such zealotry, not become zealots themselves.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

You are full of crap.

When that Rush story came out about that song you was one of the people who was up in arms about it.

When people talk about not wanting gays being able to marry or be open in the military you are up in arms about it.

Any time somebody says anything you disagree with it pisses you off. But this doesn't bother you so of course you think we should let them express themselves how they want.

Hypocrite.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

um, i happen to like people. let's not talk about really killing them and suicide, mmkay?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

I agree with you! I think it's stupid to treat atheism as a religion complete with rituals.
But I have no connection to those people, they do not speak for me or reflect on me and I could give a good crap about their "purpose" or getting their point across or if they are respected by other people. And I personally don't care of someone respects my beliefs or not.

We are FAR too concerned about how other people respect what we think.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

THAT'S because if you get enough people to frown on a belief system, war can be waged against it. or did you miss that part of history? i'm not stupid. i like my kids. i have friends in just about every belief and non belief, and i don't want to see any of them die, PERIOD.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I don't even know who this Kagan guy is. Never heard of him.

"Leading American Atheist"? Atheists need a leader?

Why do Atheists need a leader?

------------------------------------

I know of religious leaders. Why is that?

Because they are socially acceptable and its OK for them to be featured on news shows - like Niteline?

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by Annee

well if anyone should know how damaging zealotry can be, atheists should. and as i said in my first post, i expect them to protect me from such zealotry, not become zealots themselves.

You are defending Atheists from religious Zealots?

I don't think so.

[edit on 18-7-2010 by Annee]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Tinkertrain

I didn't like the Rush Limbaugh thing. I was personally offended, but I supported his right to do it. There's a difference between disagreeing and thinking that people should be legally prevented from expression, such as a 'de-baptizing'.

From the old Limbaugh thread:

I'm not arguing that it shouldn't have been done. I'm a free-speech advocate. My point is that it's about the stupidest thing a person could do!
And he's now in hot water over it.

Don't confuse being upset about something with thinking that the laws should be changed to prevent it. I support free speech in all circumstances. I never try to stop people from saying what they think. And I very rarely get pissed off over something on the internet.

You seem to think you know an awful lot about me for being a brand new member.

[edit on 7/18/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
If atheists don't believe in God or a Higher Power, then why are they using a ritual to end a Christian belief? I'll tell you why, it is Satan's way to let people know that atheists are human also. That we've got to coddle to their beliefs.

If atheists don't believe in God, then they shouldn't have any problem with taking someones life or someone taking the life of one of their family members. Raping and stealing should be their way of life. Don't give me that crap that atheists can have morals also. That would be double-standard.

Make up your mind atheists. If you truly don't believe, then start going out and killing every Christian you find so that you can live in your perfect world. Nothing will happen to you lawfully because you are following your "religious" convictions and we do have freedom of religion. You won't go to Hell when you die because none exists and you won't go to Heaven because it's as real as Hell.

When you die, you'll just cease to exist and therefore life is meaningless so since it's now meaningless, go ahead and kill yourselves after you've taken the lives of your enemies .

Are you scared to?

[edit on 18/7/10 by Intelearthling]

I just needed to captre this post in all of its ignorant glory. Someday children will look back at this and learn how to avoid becoming locked in such circular logic.

Just more proof of the coming religious suicides. He cant justify life without the promise of heaven.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

Atheists? Using rituals? This is one guy.

In your way of thinking - - every thing the Pope says and does - - means every single person who believes in a god - - believes and does the same thing.

link   
reply to post by undo

Then what is the real purpose in life? To be born and then wait on death without any general meaning.

All I'm saying is that we have feelings for a reason and it's not evolutionary. If we didn't have these feelings we'd be just as a bunch of hyenas.

Morals derived from religion (the God fearing kind) and since atheist don't believe in God, then they should never, and I mean never, lay cliam that they have morals or love in their hearts. If they do, then they hypocrites and liars.

Not trying to start anything here. Just calling it like I see it.

link   
reply to post by undo

Then what is the real purpose in life? To be born and then wait on death without any general meaning.

All I'm saying is that we have feelings for a reason and it's not evolutionary. If we didn't have these feelings we'd be just as a bunch of hyenas.

Morals derived from religion (the God fearing kind) and since atheist don't believe in God, then they should never, and I mean never, lay cliam that they have morals or love in their hearts. If they do, then they hypocrites and liars.

Not trying to start anything here. Just calling it like I see it.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join