It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why we Don't eat Horse Meat

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I have yet to find a meat I wouldn't eat. I would prefer to kill and butcher a wild animal over a farmed one though. Farmed animals taste bland.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Australia slaughters and exports about 70,000 horses per year for human consumption (making it the 6th largest supplier of horsemeat to Europe and parts of Asia like Khazakstan)...so it gives you an idea of the scope of the industry and that it is alive and well.

There is noone breeding them for slaughter there, as there are so many wild and feral horses in Australia. They are culled because of the oversupply, and they are a pest.

There is a butcher in Perth, who is currently selling horse meat in Australia for humans, as he says there is sufficient demand...he's facing some backlash, but has been given government approval.

He does make a good point (in an audio pasted below), that people say horses have helped man for so long and been a good companion, but at the same time during WWI for instance, humans took horses against their will to war in huge numbers (Australia included, which brought only one back as a token, otherwise they were all eaten or allowed to die).

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

Originally posted by rusethorcain

Humans are "supposed" to eat food that is alive.

Why? It certainly won't be by the time you eat it.

Meat is dead. Plants have life and "vitality" left alive in them. This "vitality" is beneficial to the human....Live plants still contain a "matrix" of living elements that is incorporated into the human body, these live vital elements adds to, reinforces and restructures our own vital matrix.

Nope. The plants are dead too. There isn't any such thing as "vitality" in the sense of some measurable physical quantity. Elements are not alive, if by 'element' you mean a chemical element. Your body is capable of processing any number of nutrients from plant and animal sources. It's "liveliness" isn't an issue.

Dead meat has protein and chemicals only. No LIFE...no VITALITY.
And so it cannot give you the thing known as "vitality" though it will give you other things your body may need...none of these will be VITALITY. This you must get from eating living things.

Protein, fats, carbohydrates, minerals, water. That's all you need. The "vitality" thing is bogus, some made up crap by new agers and the ignorant.

The more alcohol you consume the more meat your body will demand because they play off each other. Try not drinking for a while and you will be surprised to notice a craving for meat subsides. Not for everyone of course but for most people this is true.

For most people it's sugar, which is a plant thing, but whatever.

How old are you?
What is your blood pressure?
What is your fat to muscle ratio?
How is your general health?
Before I take your advice as gospel, I'd like to know the results of your last check up. If you don't mind...?

Meanwhile, I'll locate the links to prove everything above you do not understand or believe.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by packinupngoin
reply to post by zaiger

This has probably already been said but the most obvious reason to me would be why would you want to eat your ride?

Seriously. I don't think it is taboo as it is stupid plain and simple.

Not everyone rides a horse and im not saying that people should eat the horses they ride. /but there would be no problem with eating horse bought from the store. People eat chicken and have pet birds, same thing really. Kind of like how you can use a toothbrush to clean the grout in your bathroom, you would not use the same one you use for your teeth.

Originally posted by WhiteDevil013
reply to post by zaiger

Horses are expensive!!!! If you owned one, you would most likely only eat it if it was a life or death scenario.

Plus, up until a hundred years ago, horses were the dominate method of transportation.

Why would you eat your automobile? Even if it was edible?

You are obviusly not up to date on the horse market. Do you know why horses are expensive? First off the meat is expensive because it is rare and second the horses that people get (enslave) for their personal amusment are all bred for certian qualities. Like a paint or a saddle horse or a Rocky Mountain Horse so on and so fourth. Mut horses are worh much less, often people will not buy a horse if they can't document what it is. All the horses at the american quarter horse association that get sold as meat are the horses all the stuck up horse lovers refuse to buy.

Originally posted by crazydaisy
reply to post by zaiger

Horses in the wild are well pretty wild! They are not slow and docile like cows - more difficult to get close to and herd. A whole lot smarter too, making it more difficult to think of them as food, more of a companion or friend.

Deer in the wild are pretty wild, moose in the wild are pretty wild and bears in the wild are pretty wild and smart. Yet people hunt these all the time with no problem. I did mention a legal hunting season for horses in the OP.

Have you ever had horsemeat, don't know it if is tasty or not. They did use to put it in pet food, not sure if they still do or not, that would be a good thing to look up. And yes the horse is majestic - what a beautiful spirited animal. Much rather have one by my side than on my plate. IMO

Never had horse meat had buffalo and whale but never horse.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I changed my mind eat horse by all means ,eat lots of it ,in fact don't eat anything else

Horse Meat is good for you

It's good enough for your best friend

You deserve the best

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by MrsBlonde

I do not appreciate the sarcasm, everyone knows that too much of anything can kill you. Kenneth Pinyan is a perfect example he overdosed on horse meat.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by One Moment

Every living thing depends on the dead to live. Even plants live off of decayed, dead plant and animal matter. Even vegans consume dead living things (i.e. plants). There's no getting around it, it's part of the design, whether you agree with it or not.

As to horses, we see them as being in the "pet" category, and that's why they aren't food here in the U.S. Has nothing to do with being seen as "pagan" or anything else... Same reason we don't eat cats or dogs. My wife was practically raised on a horse, so I know she'd never eat one.

But, that said, I do find your (original poster's) idea for the feral horses intriguing, and think you may be on to something there.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by Gazrok]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Well i posted this in CiR and it was moved to general and then moved to rant. Granted there is not much conspiracy in it, so i should have put some more spin on it.
I guess for something to be a CiR you have to just post some clichet statement about religion like "if god is real then..." Or maybe just do another thread about a clip from the jesus camp movie.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
If it is a question of population control, this issue has been handled for years already on the East Coast.

Every year at the end of June, firefighters from Virginia round up the wild horses on Assateague and Chincoteague Islands, swim them to corrals, and auction off the young. It is a huge event.

wild pony swim

The population is controlled, and the fire house gets the profits.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by One Moment
reply to post by zaiger

I personally don't think live bodies are meant to eat dead bodies so I wonder when and where eating 'meat' became socially acceptable.

Animals do it in the wild all the time.
It is acceptable because it is nature.

Horse meat is more healthy than Beef, it is leaner, a high source of Iron and Omega-3.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by Chukkles]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
You are woefully uninformed about this topic ,why did you start a thread to which you have nothing to contribute except and assertion that you don't have any fondness for horses so they should be eaten?

He does make a good point (in an audio pasted below), that people say horses have helped man for so long and been a good companion, but at the same time during WWI for instance, humans took horses against their will to war in huge numbers (Australia included, which brought only one back as a token, otherwise they were all eaten or allowed to die).

am I the only one who thinks the idea of using an animal and actually putting your life in it's hands as a war horse and then for a reward for a job well done eating it ? Just my opinion , but that could stand as the definition of evil .

anyway obviously you don't want to inform yourself on this issue so you are just basically talking to your self you asked why we don't eat horse we told you why we don't

like I said I'm so okay with you the other nutritionally challenged others who will starve unless they eat horse eating it, Good luck with that fatal bone marrow disease and cadmium poisoning,and parasites but hey, why let facts influence your position ,you're a professional scientist

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
This is one of the things I find unbelievable in our society, and it is possibly one of the aspects of some our cultures that makes us kinda weak.

How is a horse or a dog more majestic than any other animal? Because they are pretty? What makes a cow or a chicken less majestic? In India, cows are upheld as Majestic and cannot be eaten. Is that also weird?

I believe all animals are majestic but I also believe in the food chain and a natural disposition towards eating meat.

If it is unnatural for humans and animals to eat meat then how do you explain the carnivorous species of dinosaurs?

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by snowflake_obsidian

I agree with you chickens are majestic, as are all animals and people too.
we are all creatures of this Earth together

as to the difference between people and dinosaurs,well all I'm going to say about that is, why do humans want to justify hatred and cruelty by citing animal behavior and then turn around and in the same breath say they are superior to animals by virtue of their amazing intellect?

I have to say that I think that is a fallacy ,I mean how many ways can you have it and still have a claim ?

Delusional Disorder

Delusions are irrational beliefs, held with a high level of conviction, that are highly resistant to change even when the delusional person is exposed to forms of proof that contradict the belief. Non-bizarre delusions are considered to be plausible; that is, there is a possibility that what the person believes to be true could actually occur a small proportion of the time. Conversely, bizarre delusions focus on matters that would be impossible in reality. Read more: Delusional disorder - define, causes, DSM, functioning, effects, therapy, paranoia, adults, withdrawal, drug, examples, person, people, used, brain, personality, effect, women www.minddisorders.com...

that's my explaination

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
While there are people that believe they are superior to animals, I do not think that everyone that eats meat believes that.

Just as we eat animals, there are animals that can eat us as well if given the opportunity. In my opinion, this is the natural order of things.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Explanation: Flagged!

A horse is a horse, of course, of course, and it's also a very valuable resource!

Personal Disclosure: It can be my pet or it can be on my plate as a steak and what ever I utilize it for, it had better be GREAT!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain

Originally posted by NewlyAwakened

Originally posted by One Moment
I personally don't think live bodies are meant to eat dead bodies so I wonder when and where eating 'meat' became socially acceptable.

That's kind of an odd statement. So do you think carnivores like tigers and bears (and puppies and kitties) are somehow unnatural?

[edit on 14-7-2010 by NewlyAwakened]

Humans are "supposed" to eat food that is alive.

Meat is dead. Plants have life and "vitality" left alive in them. This "vitality" is beneficial to the human....Live plants still contain a "matrix" of living elements that is incorporated into the human body, these live vital elements adds to, reinforces and restructures our own vital matrix.

Your whole structure changes every 7 years. The matrix is the mold your body follows for this regularly scheduled maintenance...this constant, even daily, metamorphosis.

Dead meat has protein and chemicals only. No LIFE...no VITALITY.
And so it cannot give you the thing known as "vitality" though it will give you other things your body may need...none of these will be VITALITY. This you must get from eating living things.

And no, you can't get it from eating your meat while it is still half alive...as I know many of you will rush out to do....nice try though. And no, you do NOT have incisors like a wolf designed to tear and eat meat. You are watching too many Vampire movies!
You are a vegetarian in mouth structure as well as stomach and digesting chemicals. There is no digestive juice like the Wolf has, to help digest bone.

The more alcohol you consume the more meat your body will demand because they play off each other. Try not drinking for a while and you will be surprised to notice a craving for meat subsides. Not for everyone of course but for most people this is true.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by rusethorcain]

What a load of rubbish.

I hardly ever drink any more, you can't beat a nice porterhouse steak, lamb shank, ribs, lamb chops, bacon, chicken, bacon, shoulder of pork, bacon.

Never trust a vegaterian eat spam

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Horses are a lot smarter than cows anyways. Im pretty sure in the future we will be able to train horses to help in the slaughtering process.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Growing up in the 1960s and 1970s, my grandparents would buy horsemeat from the butcher all the time. It was much cheaper than beef at the time and taste about the same as I recall. There is an episode of "All In the Family" where Edith buys horsemeat to save money, but they don't tell Archie about it.

Eating horsemeat was not taboo during the 1970s, but was a "poor man's" food as it was usually put in dog and cat food.

I think some places still sell horsemeat, although I don't think it is cheaper than beef or pork anymore.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: zaiger

Sorry to reply to an old post, admins may do whatever they wish about it.

Ever wonder why it seems okay to slaughter cows and eat them but it is "wrong" to eat a horse?

No.

It doesn't. All slaughtering is wrong, unethical, horrible, murder.

But if we think about no-slaughter meat-eating (for example, waiting until a creature dies, without causing or helping the death to happen, or finding a dead carcass), then all meat-eating is the same. Either it's all horrible shoving basically poisonous substance into your body, or it's at least ethically exactly as acceptable.

A dead organic mass is a dead organic mass. There isn't an ethical problem with cannibalism, eating dogs, cats, horses, canaries, parrots, rabbits, cows, monkeys, babies, or fetuses, for example. If no one has been hurt, killed, imprisoned or in some way injured or helped to die in the process.

If these beings die naturally, or if you happen to walk to a dead body like that, I see absolutely zero ethical problem in eating such a carcass. It's all the same, once the soul leaves the body - there's no one to feel pain, there's no ownership involved anymore, unless someone claims the body of course, and the taste should be relatively the same as well.

In my opinion, all meat-eating is a horrible, demonic, diabolic, barbaric thing to do, it's a hostile act towards your physical body and the more sensitive bodies, but in addition, in this world, it normally involves something even worse; torturous horrors that the most scary horror stories can't even touch. If you have ever visited a slaughterhouse (or just seen "Meet Your Meat"), you will probably not want to see a horror movie for awhile.

People are awfully hypocrite in that they care soo much for their pet dogs and cats (though they raise them completely wrong, and remain clueless in the age of internet and information, even though they should have a natural interest towards this topic), and think it's ok and cool to imprison them in various (and psychologically torturous ways), but when it comes to food, they suddenly have no problem to have exactly same kind of pets - just different species - being mercilessly slaughtered, often so that they stay conscious when their bellies are violently and bloodily cut open without anaesthesia, so they can feed the flesh of those bodies to their animals and eat it themselves, like some blood-sucking vampires (sucking a steak with blood in it and sucking blood directly is not really all that different).

Besides, who said you don't eat horse meat? I have been under the impression (might be the wrong impression, but nevertheless) that a lot of the sausages involve horse flesh, especially certain types of wursts.

People of this planet just don't care, and they are clueless, ignorant, barbaric ape-demons, with really bad habits, living under a powerful brainwashing, indoctrination and programming scheme. Heck, has anyone ever wondered, why TV shows are called "programming"?

There are similar phrases in other languages, like "what kind of programming do you have in your daily life". Many people 'program' their lives, there are 'fitness programs', like people are just some kind of machines, to be programmed.. and so on.

To answer the question; why would it matter, after the animal is dead, what happens to its flesh?

And, why would you slaughter innocent animals for food, when your body doesn't even support meat-eating, and it causes your body a lot of health problems, and when there is an enormous world of delicious vegetarian and vegan food avaiilable, that's more nutritious and actually has the proteins and vitamins in a more healthy form? (Meat only contains the stuff the animal has already eaten and partially digested - it doesn't contain any magical extra stuff that somehow becomes healthy - every single piece of protein a piece of meat has, comes from a PLANT that the animal has eaten, the animal does not produce protein (or it wouldn't have to eat it))

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Hahah...wow, blast from the past.
a reply to: Shoujikina

originally posted by: Shoujikina
But if we think about no-slaughter meat-eating (for example, waiting until a creature dies, without causing or helping the death to happen, or finding a dead carcass), then all meat-eating is the same. Either it's all horrible shoving basically poisonous substance into your body, or it's at least ethically exactly as acceptable.

Except in this case it is not medically acceptable. Animals that die on their own very likely died of some disease. And depending on how long since it died, the meat could become unhygienic. So the ethics aren't really a factor in this.

In my opinion, all meat-eating is a horrible, demonic, diabolic, barbaric thing to do, it's a hostile act towards your physical body and the more sensitive bodies, but in addition, in this world, it normally involves something even worse; torturous horrors that the most scary horror stories can't even touch. If you have ever visited a slaughterhouse (or just seen "Meet Your Meat"), you will probably not want to see a horror movie for awhile.

Obviously, that depends entirely on where you get your meat. I certainly don't get pre-packaged, plastic-wrapped, mass-slaughtered meat from a supermarket counter.

People are awfully hypocrite in that they care soo much for their pet dogs and cats (though they raise them completely wrong, and remain clueless in the age of internet and information, even though they should have a natural interest towards this topic), and think it's ok and cool to imprison them in various (and psychologically torturous ways), but when it comes to food, they suddenly have no problem to have exactly same kind of pets - just different species - being mercilessly slaughtered, often so that they stay conscious when their bellies are violently and bloodily cut open without anaesthesia, so they can feed the flesh of those bodies to their animals and eat it themselves, like some blood-sucking vampires (sucking a steak with blood in it and sucking blood directly is not really all that different).

I don't think my reasoning is very hypocritical. Dogs and cats are carnivores. They might eat vegetation when their owners (mis)feed them it, but they're carnivores. Carnivores are definitely not as healthy or efficient to eat as herbivores. I eat chickens, which I suppose are omnivores (although more accurate to call them insectivores). I suppose fish are a border case as well, but personally, I never much cared for fish. I don't much care for rare steak either (I prefer mine well done), but don't tell that to snotty restaurant waiters
. I would have no issue eating horses, as per this thread subject, except in what I mentioned horses being useful for many other things, and it being wasteful to just kill them for their meat.

And, why would you slaughter innocent animals for food, when your body doesn't even support meat-eating, and it causes your body a lot of health problems, and when there is an enormous world of delicious vegetarian and vegan food avaiilable, that's more nutritious and actually has the proteins and vitamins in a more healthy form? (Meat only contains the stuff the animal has already eaten and partially digested - it doesn't contain any magical extra stuff that somehow becomes healthy - every single piece of protein a piece of meat has, comes from a PLANT that the animal has eaten, the animal does not produce protein (or it wouldn't have to eat it))

I beg to differ. Humans have been omnivores since the beginning of their existence. They were called HUNTER-Gatherers for a reason. Even when we settled into agriculture we still ate animals. Our closest primate relative, the chimpanzee, is an omnivore as well.
When Wold Hunger is solved, when the vegan and vegetarian foods with the nutrients available easily in meat become plentiful and cheap, or when test-tube grown meat becomes as cheap, then perhaps we can worry about how it is unethical to kill animals for meat. Perhaps mine is an unpopular opinion on this, but I think human life is more important.
edit on 23-5-2014 by babloyi because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join