It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why we Don't eat Horse Meat

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
Ever wonder why it seems okay to slaughter cows and eat them but it is "wrong" to eat a horse?

Lol, sure you've been looking in the right aisles at the super market? I live in Europe, and can readily find "horse meat" products here. My favorite is the horse sausages. (Forgot what they're called in English.)

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
I would feel like I was eating friends.

Sounds like a plan.

Anyway, I think I've had it from some place in Canada, and well, it tastes awful anway. Once my uncle brought some breakfast sausage that tasted just like the stuff in Canada so I'm sure it was more of it (nasty).

Ostriches, rabbits, alligators, snakes and many other things were pretty tasty though.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteDevil013
reply to post by zaiger

Why would you eat your automobile? Even if it was edible?

Hmmm...didn't they used to eat Army Jeeps?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhorse

Originally posted by belowcommonknowledge
I am not sure why, but I can tell you that I personally feel a very strong spiritual connection with horses. I am filled with such utter revulsion at the thought of killing a horse that I am at a loss to explain it.... Recently my wife and I visited some friends that have horses, and one of them that is not saddle broken yet walked up to me and put her nose over the fence and we just stood there cuddling (for lack of a better word) for 15 minutes or so.

If I had a dollar for every person that decried 'eating horses' because they felt a 'spiritual connection', but had little to no actual first hand experience working with them I could afford to start my own horse rescue, and lord knows that we need one out here thanks to people

Just.

Like.

You.

I'll tell you 'why'. You felt validated by a 1000 lb animal coming up to 'cuddle'. That's 'why'. Ego. Your ego to be more specific. Period.

However, the most mystical thing going through that animals mind was something akin to 'where is the carrot' or 'would you just sratch that spot on my neck please', or simply 'Hey look, people. New people. Interesting.'

I have a two year old that is also not yet trained to saddle, and as an added bonus, still has all of his reproductive equipment who would do the same d*mn thing. In fact, he will not only stand there all day if you will, he will follow you around like a puppy. But sorry to burst your mystical bubble there, he's hoping for a scratch somewhere he can't reach, or hoping you'll put the halter on so he can go play a game, or a cookie, or simple diversion from a day of that-clump-a-grass-over-there. So, not only is he 'not broke' he is a STALLION (ooooh), and if you are calm and obviously not aggressive (as I'm sure you would be) the only way you could get rid of him is to put a fence between your two bodies. I'm sure it would make your day... And his.

Originally posted by belowcommonknowledgeI feel like there is an implied trust and spiritual link between humans and the working animals that enabled us to build our civilization, and to kill such an animal unnecessarily seems a violation of that trust. I don't much care for thinking of how my hamburger or steak came to be on my plate either, but again the thought of the same fate befalling a horse is utterly repellent and offensive to me.

There is a spiritual link with us and animals-domestic or otherwise-and I'll go even further and say nature in general. Sure. I'll buy that, and there are times when I have felt that. That reaching out that goes beyond a simple need for communication, and selfish base instinct... (Mine or the animals') But that horse coming up to say 'Hi-do-ya-hava-treat' at the fence wasn't it.

Spend some time, learn what they are behaviorally, what the body language means and frankly how dangerous they can be, and then maybe I'll bother to listen to you when you sound off with adjectives like 'repellent' and 'offensive'. I find the sentimentalist, emotional drivel that people spout off when they barely know one end of a horse from another 'repellent' and 'offensive' myself.

As far as trust... Well, part of that is what you teach them. My horses trust me because I am consistent, clear, I don't beat them, and I believe communication is a two way street. That horse at the fence had already been taught to trust people, or at least associate them with something good. You don't need saddle training to do that, you need some carrots.

Spend a few years, get a few scrapes, bruises, or even broken bones and concussions from a thousand + lbs of panic, belligerant, or (although I'm sure you won't believe this) just-plain-sneaky-murderous-mean, and then maybe you'll have some credibility.

Until then, I wish people like you would shut up. You hurt more horses than you help.

Yes Horses do have a language, but i am suprised at your lack of respect for it. A Carrot is not their language.

You talk about their behavioural language and yet you then break it down to carrots.

If the person/poster felt a connection to a horse, they did. You were not there. who are you to judge anothers spirit.

Your attitude in that post is that of a lot of horse owners. One that Fears the horse, not out of respect for them, but to mantain a dominance over nature that most of humanity seems to believe we have.

We are better than them. They have no spirit. They just want carrots and a scratch and to be tied up.

Or Maybe that is the language you share with your horses because you have dumbed them down to that basis. dumb them down to a level of slavery for your enjoyment and needs.

However deep down in their souls , they have a language and maybe if you learned it you would treat them with the respect they deserve and not dumb down an entire species.

No offence, but you are in the majority of horse people i know. so i am having a go at not just you, because i believe you do know this somewhere.

I am not attacking, i am just trying to share what I have seen over the years.

as far as eating them goes. We are a bunch of hypocrites if we don't and still no better than animals if we do. we are both.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteDevil013
Plus, up until a hundred years ago, horses were the dominate method of transportation.

Why would you eat your automobile? Even if it was edible?

Originally posted by pacitupngoin
This has probably already been said but the most obvious reason to me would be why would you want to eat your ride?

Seriously. I don't think it is taboo as it is stupid plain and simple.

News Flash: It's not a hundred years ago. It's the 21st century. (I know you knew that. Just kidding!)

So........do you guys ride your horses to work?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Ask how the horses got into the west in the first place. They were brought there. Horses have helped man so much for so long. Pulling carts, carriages, acting as trains, even figting in wars. They have helped us explore, to visit unknown places. They create beauty. Ever see a Lippizzaan show? What would we have done without the horse?
so we break it down to a food animal?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
double post

[edit on 14-7-2010 by psilo simon]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by One Moment
reply to post by zaiger

I personally don't think live bodies are meant to eat dead bodies so I wonder when and where eating 'meat' became socially acceptable.

I think humans started eating meat long before the abstract of social tabboo.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

reply to post by zaiger

I personally don't think live bodies are meant to eat dead bodies so I wonder when and where eating 'meat' became socially acceptable.
Bet there are quite a few cats that would disagree with that statement!

I think it became socially acceptable when prehumans decided it was much better to eat meat than starve!

Keep in mind that in some social circles, it was socially acceptable to eat humans, in the not too distant past.

Go to Liberia, you will find that cannibalism is socially acceptable today!

Just wanted to "deny ignorance" and set something straight mentioned in the quoted post:

Cannibalism is NOT socially acceptable in Liberia today. During the horrific civil wars fought there, it's true that there were cases of cannibalism. However, it is certainly not something that 99.99% of the current population of Liberia would even consider and is not considered "socially acceptable" at all.

On topic: I have eaten both horse meat and dog meat, wasn't particularly keen on the taste of either (they weren't bad, just nothing special and not as good as the other meats IMO). Morally, I have no problem eating any kind of meat other than human beings. If it's below us on the food chain, there is no reason why we should not kill and eat it if we so desire. That is the way nature works.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain
reply to post by zaiger

Please, I am certain that at one point in our history we used to eat each other. Bad ideas just tend to fall by the wayside, on their own, given enough time.

Finally, the nobility and majesty of the horse struck man's awakening sensibilities right down to his mortal soul.
They used to run horses off a cliff to kill them. This was before people knew they could be trained and ridden. It is said, this memory is why horses are skiddish around humans.

If you want a new and reliable meat source and help clean up the environment as well...try rats.

Anyone for Chinese?

I agree 100% . My gut feeling just tells me it aint right, you can ride a horse, you cant really ride a cow. I mean horses have btter uses than food. Go eat your dog or cat...its those damn animal lovers who taught you its wrong!

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
it has a brain the size of a walnut. i'd rather have a mule.
i got pictures of a pack mule jumped by a mtn lion- the mule
killed it and tossed it off the trail- while the horses bolted and
the dogs stared in amazement.
comes down to it - i'll eat anything that doesnt eat me first.but
mystical bond? pure disney magic..

[edit on 14-7-2010 by p51mustang]

[edit on 14-7-2010 by p51mustang]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
My heritage goes way back. Native American. I am sure many had no choice BUT to eat horse meat during terrible times, but we always revered the horse: It made only hours of travel when it took many days to walk, it helped so much in hunting, relationships were made with the horse such as loyalty. Horses pulled loads, carried the weak and tired. We always respected the horse. Not to mention wars and battles the horse carried its riders into.

One other poster mentioned how good a horse steak was. I am sure it must have been very good, indeed. Because of beliefs, and actually working with horses, many of us will never (if we can help it) eat an animal that has been of service before the car and train even came around. We do not forget that service.

I know many Hindu people, but will not once, eat beef in front of them or try to serve them a dish made of beef. It is RESPECT that must always be held foremost. I eat beef much less now, because of Hindu belief: how could one kill and eat the cow who at the sacrifice of her own calf kept OUR babies fed and alive because of human mothers who were too lazy, or couldnt feed of their own? So that made alot of sense to me. Though I do totally enjoy a nice steak, or beef dinner frank.

As far as food animals, in my opinion, too many are being wasted. That is the worst thing to take a life for. Not to mention the hell these animals go through before and during slaughtering. Private raised animals are taken better care of. I would rather buy a meat animal from my neighbor, than at the store.

But, true, if people must regulate overpopulation with wild horses, then rather than to just kill them with waste, then yes, eating would be using them well. Something seasonal, with permission, no poaching off season, and no females (just like deer season). What I am trying to say is we already have a huge slaughtering situation. I dont know if adding a fantastic animal such as a horse would be right especially when it gets into big industry.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by MrsBlonde

One must eat something or starve.

If you don't want to starve, you will have to eat a sentient being. If you don't believe me, check out this thread!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

butcherguy you're funny when did I say not to eat?

believe me when I say, I eat and I think everybody should

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by psilo simon

Maybe so but if you are a christian and believe in the story of The Garden of Eden you would believe that in the beginning animals were friends not slaves or food.
I am not Christian myself but it surprises me how many say they believe this stuff then turn around and say it's not so.
So a paradise earth once included lions who ate grass and everything living in harmony. So shouldn't we at least aim at that as our ideal, I don't eat meat and I am very healthy so are many people, one small step back to Eden, why wait for God to come make it right again.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by Char-Lee]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

That's interesting. I always thought it was just because horses could be put to better uses than being livestock. Cows and chickens can't really be ridden.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

But oxen are beasts of burden that helped people just as much with transportation yet people eat those and it is okay.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Interesting how this is the second 'Horses can be used as food/ horses are a pest' type thread I have seen since CNN carried the mustang story....

Fascinating, huh.....?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Horses in the wild are well pretty wild! They are not slow and docile like cows - more difficult to get close to and herd. A whole lot smarter too, making it more difficult to think of them as food, more of a companion or friend. Have you ever had horsemeat, don't know it if is tasty or not. They did use to put it in pet food, not sure if they still do or not, that would be a good thing to look up. And yes the horse is majestic - what a beautiful spirited animal. Much rather have one by my side than on my plate. IMO

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

reply to post by zaiger

You see........I happen to believe in Atlantis so my dogmatic-belief system goes way back. I am pretty certain they did not live to slaughter other live creatures.

we probably started eating meat before there was a structured society in place to accept or reject a selective diet. way before atlantis or greek philosophy...

it may be true that SOME live bodies are not meant to consume or digest flesh, but some require it.

scavengers, for instance, are part of the food chain. they eat stuff that would make a billy goat puke. dead stuff. long dead.

i practiced a vegan lifestyle for two years and it damn near killed me. i wasn't getting enough, no matter how much of whatever fruit, vegetable, vitamin, or dietary supplement. i lost muscle mass at an alarming rate.

i returned to an omnivorous diet and regained my health.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain

Humans are "supposed" to eat food that is alive.

Why? It certainly won't be by the time you eat it.

Meat is dead. Plants have life and "vitality" left alive in them. This "vitality" is beneficial to the human....Live plants still contain a "matrix" of living elements that is incorporated into the human body, these live vital elements adds to, reinforces and restructures our own vital matrix.

Nope. The plants are dead too. There isn't any such thing as "vitality" in the sense of some measurable physical quantity. Elements are not alive, if by 'element' you mean a chemical element. Your body is capable of processing any number of nutrients from plant and animal sources. It's "liveliness" isn't an issue.

Dead meat has protein and chemicals only. No LIFE...no VITALITY.
And so it cannot give you the thing known as "vitality" though it will give you other things your body may need...none of these will be VITALITY. This you must get from eating living things.

Protein, fats, carbohydrates, minerals, water. That's all you need. The "vitality" thing is bogus, some made up crap by new agers and the ignorant.

The more alcohol you consume the more meat your body will demand because they play off each other. Try not drinking for a while and you will be surprised to notice a craving for meat subsides. Not for everyone of course but for most people this is true.

For most people it's sugar, which is a plant thing, but whatever.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join