It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why we Don't eat Horse Meat

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Ever wonder why it seems okay to slaughter cows and eat them but it is "wrong" to eat a horse?
Horse meat used to be a common source of food in pre-christian Europe. The only groups that did not eat horse meat were the Jewish and Islamic people because the meat was seen as "unclean". * In fact the consumption of horse meat was very prominent in Germanic Pagan religions as it was tied to the worship of Odin. So why did the western world and Europe start seeing horse meat as taboo? The Christians.
*In 732 Pope Gregory III put a ban on eating horse meat because it was seen a pagan practice. Even in modern times there has been anti-horse meat legislation passed to ban its sale, the miscellaneous health boards state to state have changed sanitary codes to halt the production of horse meat.
So today the only reason we do not eat horse meat is because of anti-pagan propaganda spread by the early christian church. So we have people that have issue with the pointless killing of feral horses, if horse meat was legal people could eat it and it could be good for the economy. Pagans could also worship freely and once again eat horse to worship their gods. Not only that but with a legal horse hunting season the feral horse population could be kept in check and local farmers would no longer have to worry about their grazing areas, everybody wins.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
In my opinion, we evolved into staying with cows and chickens for the simple reason that it is somewhat efficient. Still not as efficient as some other livestock, however.

Cows produce lots of milk, tasty milk at that. They're also rather easy to raise, in comparison to horses. Chickens (hens), they produce plenty of eggs during their lives, and are once again, easy to raise.

Horses on the other hand, are a handful. Not so easy to raise, and the added benefits are almost nonexistent.

We also view them as a majestic animal, from a dying past.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Throughout Northern Europe, horsemeat is still eaten. It is a quite normal component of many sausages.

Just do a Google search on "horse meat consumption". I think horse is eaten quite a lot more widely than you would believe.

[edit on 14/7/2010 by CosmicEgg]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

How is raising a horse a handfull? Keep in mind that if raised for meat you would not be trying to ride it or break it in any way. They need food and water just like cows.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Never thought of it. Very interesting. Sounds plausible too!

I personally don't think live bodies are meant to eat dead bodies so I wonder when and where eating 'meat' became socially acceptable.

You see........I happen to believe in Atlantis so my dogmatic-belief system goes way back. I am pretty certain they did not live to slaughter other live creatures.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

Yep, although people do not like the idea to know what they are eating in my experience....but they still eat it.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by One Moment

You see........I happen to believe in Atlantis so my dogmatic-belief system goes way back. I am pretty certain they did not live to slaughter other live creatures.

What do you mean your belief system goes way back? The belief in atlantis goes way back? Which atlantis? The one plato talked about or the atlantis from la la land that was so far advanced that they got owned by natural disaster and were never seen again? How is it dogmatic?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
You can order horse at restaurants in Europe.

I saw a horse steak on a menu in Italy once. My friend said the horses were 'different' than what I'd think of, more like cattle.

I didn't eat it.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

Dairy cows are quite different than beef cows so you can't say that they are efficient because we get both beef and milk from them.

As far as the OP, I love horses and couldn't imagine using such a practical and majestic animal for food, though make no mistake about it, I would certainly eat one if hungry and I would have the slightest qualms about it.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by One Moment
I personally don't think live bodies are meant to eat dead bodies so I wonder when and where eating 'meat' became socially acceptable.

That's kind of an odd statement. So do you think carnivores like tigers and bears (and puppies and kitties) are somehow unnatural?

[edit on 14-7-2010 by NewlyAwakened]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Too much glue & dog food to make

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Please, I am certain that at one point in our history we used to eat each other. Bad ideas just tend to fall by the wayside, on their own, given enough time.

Finally, the nobility and majesty of the horse struck man's awakening sensibilities right down to his mortal soul.
They used to run horses off a cliff to kill them. This was before people knew they could be trained and ridden. It is said, this memory is why horses are skiddish around humans.

If you want a new and reliable meat source and help clean up the environment as well...try rats.

Anyone for Chinese?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
you are not providing us with statistics on the world wide Feral Horse problem

I had no idea. are you saying that the pastures of the planet are being destroyed by the worlds least populous wild animal?

you're entitled to an opinion but I have to say that opinion based the fact that primitive people ate horse meat and so should we is hardly a convincing argument Why don't we open dog slaughter houses ?the Chinese have them now .?

MOD EDIT: WARNING--External Link Contains Graphic Images and Video

Mary Nash's Horsemeat Website

here is a comprehensive website on the horsemeat issue it's full of facts .if you're to *SNIP* to watch the the video of the Beltex slaughterhouse you have no business talking about horsemeat

lets see what you have to say after you have informed yourself about the issue

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 7/14/2010 by MrsBlonde]

Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Wed Jul 14 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

[edit on 14-7-2010 by Ahabstar]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

down with anti-pagan propaganda!!!

Whoo Hooo!!!

Put horse back on the menu!!

edited to add: & can someone pass the A-1 sauce, please?

[edit on 14-7-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Perhaps two factors in the modern west.
One is a preference for familiar tastes. We're not used to the taste of horsemeat- or at least we hope we're not.
Also there's a sentimental distaste for the idea of eating "pet" animals. Similarly westerners, who love dogs, are horrified at the thought that other cultures eat them. One of the factors encouraging vegetarianism is the growth of sentimentalism towards animals in general.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by DISRAELI]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
reply to post by One Moment

What do you mean your belief system goes way back? The belief in atlantis goes way back? Which atlantis? The one plato talked about or the atlantis from la la land that was so far advanced that they got owned by natural disaster and were never seen again? How is it dogmatic?

Atlantis is not taught or talked about in schools or religions so theoretically, I believe in something (a Race) that does not even exist (according to the people who run this planet).

As far as dogma, I meant it tongue n cheek because it's only MY opinion rather than the Establishments'.

Plato, as insightful as he appears to have been was....undermined by the Elite by suggesting he was talking about a myth (Atlantis) not a real place or species.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewlyAwakened

That's kind of an odd statement. So do you think carnivores like tigers and bears (and puppies and kitties) are somehow unnatural?

Humans are "supposed" to eat food that is alive.

Meat is dead. Plants have life and "vitality" left alive in them. This "vitality" is beneficial to the human....Live plants still contain a "matrix" of living elements that is incorporated into the human body, these live vital elements adds to, reinforces and restructures our own vital matrix.

Your whole structure changes every 7 years. The matrix is the mold your body follows for this regularly scheduled maintenance...this constant, even daily, metamorphosis.

Dead meat has protein and chemicals only. No LIFE...no VITALITY.
And so it cannot give you the thing known as "vitality" though it will give you other things your body may need...none of these will be VITALITY. This you must get from eating living things.

And no, you can't get it from eating your meat while it is still half alive...as I know many of you will rush out to do....nice try though. And no, you do NOT have incisors like a wolf designed to tear and eat meat. You are watching too many Vampire movies!
You are a vegetarian in mouth structure as well as stomach and digesting chemicals. There is no digestive juice like the Wolf has, to help digest bone.

The more alcohol you consume the more meat your body will demand because they play off each other. Try not drinking for a while and you will be surprised to notice a craving for meat subsides. Not for everyone of course but for most people this is true.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewlyAwakened

I don't believe we originally started out as meat-eaters. Animals included. I think vegetation sustained life (ORIGINALLY). I am talking billions and billions and billions of years ago. Atlantis and Annunaki era.

Much has changed (de-evolved?) and not for the better.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
reply to post by zaiger

down with anti-pagan propaganda!!!

Whoo Hooo!!!

Put horse back on the menu!!

edited to add: & can someone pass the A-1 sauce, please?

[edit on 14-7-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

And I hear the Great Apes are tasty too.
Next stop from there...is Cannibal Alley!

I'm sorry... but would you mind shaving? And stick these cloves of garlic ...?

It is EVOLUTION not DE-volution, folks
...though you are free to go in whatever direction your stomach takes you.

Edit to
ONE MOMENT:

Love your avatar.
I've had that clip saved since I first saw it about 6 months ago!
Also on Atlanteans, check out "The 144 Thousand"
They will be here soon.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I ate a horse steak in Iceland of all places, it was darn tasty! I get quite annoyed with people that start crying you can't eat it and think it's odd somehow, but they'll tuck into a burger. How hypocritical can you get!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join