It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why we Don't eat Horse Meat

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Just in case any of you wanted to see what I mean by 'when horse meat is cooked correctly'...

Here's a couple a horse steaks done to a turn... Don't remember when I had them, but I do remember they were yummie!

Added Note:

To those of you who think eating horse meat is barbaric?
I've one question for you.

What's the by-product of milk...?

Think about it for a while...

peace

[edit on 14-7-2010 by silo13]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Looks good. I know the more gamey tasting meats are better in stews. So perhaps horse would be good for something like a horse pot pie.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain
reply to post by silo13

But I've know cows with hearts and love in their souls that can put horses to shame.

Surely this depends on the horse. I have heard in abattoirs, a bull will go into a frenzy and kick and twist and cry out bellowing in agony and pain when he hears, or sees another cow getting slaughtered. A cow he has become attached to.

We humans, should not be the source of such agony and pain.

It's not like there is no other way.

I only HOPE, we reap what we sow.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by rusethorcain]
I have seen quite a number of animals die.
Very few cattle ever raised a fuss on their way to becoming a meal that I observed. Usually it was a bull that raised a ruckus, but I think it was the smell of the blood that did it.
In my opinion, cows are about the stupidest of our domesticated mammals. Cows will stand in a running stream, all four feet in the water and drink water while simultaneously urinating and defecating...... Head pointing downstream! I have seen it a lot of times.

Pigs are the smartest. They pick one end of their lot to relieve themselves, as far away as possible from their food and water. If a pig is given running water available to them at all times, they are the cleanest of the farm animals.

Horses and dogs rank just below pigs.

Cats are only a little more intelligent than a cow. Cats operate mostly on instinct and have just about the shortest memory that I know of at least in the higher mammals.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Cats are only a little more intelligent than a cow. Cats operate mostly on instinct and have just about the shortest memory that I know of at least in the higher mammals.

I can see you've never had a siamese.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I can show you a trick with your siamese that would make you say, "Darn, I didn't know a cat could be that stupid!".

No, you are correct, I have never owned a Siamese, but I have been in 'too close' contact with two of them once in my life. They are smarter than you average cat, but, well....

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
Sir Winston Churchill

[edit on 14-7-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Mod Edit: WARNING Videos may contain graphic subject matter.

no problem it's okay to to be cruel to anything you once you label it a mentally inferior to yourself . I hope you enjoy the videos of stupid things being tortured

they are sooo stupid

[edit on 14-7-2010 by Ahabstar]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

Very nice.
I had a pet pig when I was 5 years old. Her name was Sally. She weighed in at 450 pounds. I could open the door to her pen in the barn, she would follow me out into the barnyard, where I would scratch her side. Then she would lie down and roll over for me to scratch her belly.

Then we ate her.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
OK. I like meat of all kinds and I'll try just about anything. The limiting factor , as said earlier, is how easy is it to raise and eventually slaughter. Cows are easy. That's pretty much a fact. That's why they are raised just about everywhere. Horses, not so much. Mostly because they are fast, agile, temperamental, etc. They have plenty of other uses, but not necessarily as food. Cows are food. Horses do work.

If you could put a puppy in a field, wait 12 to 18 months without doing much more than giving it hay and then slaughter it then for a few hundred pounds of meat, we'd all be eating dogs.

Edit for spelling.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by WickettheRabbit]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MrsBlonde

One must eat something or starve.

If you don't want to starve, you will have to eat a sentient being. If you don't believe me, check out this thread!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by belowcommonknowledge
I am not sure why, but I can tell you that I personally feel a very strong spiritual connection with horses. I am filled with such utter revulsion at the thought of killing a horse that I am at a loss to explain it.... Recently my wife and I visited some friends that have horses, and one of them that is not saddle broken yet walked up to me and put her nose over the fence and we just stood there cuddling (for lack of a better word) for 15 minutes or so.

If I had a dollar for every person that decried 'eating horses' because they felt a 'spiritual connection', but had little to no actual first hand experience working with them I could afford to start my own horse rescue, and lord knows that we need one out here thanks to people

Just.

Like.

You.

I'll tell you 'why'. You felt validated by a 1000 lb animal coming up to 'cuddle'. That's 'why'. Ego. Your ego to be more specific. Period.

However, the most mystical thing going through that animals mind was something akin to 'where is the carrot' or 'would you just sratch that spot on my neck please', or simply 'Hey look, people. New people. Interesting.'

I have a two year old that is also not yet trained to saddle, and as an added bonus, still has all of his reproductive equipment who would do the same d*mn thing. In fact, he will not only stand there all day if you will, he will follow you around like a puppy. But sorry to burst your mystical bubble there, he's hoping for a scratch somewhere he can't reach, or hoping you'll put the halter on so he can go play a game, or a cookie, or simple diversion from a day of that-clump-a-grass-over-there. So, not only is he 'not broke' he is a STALLION (ooooh), and if you are calm and obviously not aggressive (as I'm sure you would be) the only way you could get rid of him is to put a fence between your two bodies. I'm sure it would make your day... And his.

Originally posted by belowcommonknowledgeI feel like there is an implied trust and spiritual link between humans and the working animals that enabled us to build our civilization, and to kill such an animal unnecessarily seems a violation of that trust. I don't much care for thinking of how my hamburger or steak came to be on my plate either, but again the thought of the same fate befalling a horse is utterly repellent and offensive to me.

There is a spiritual link with us and animals-domestic or otherwise-and I'll go even further and say nature in general. Sure. I'll buy that, and there are times when I have felt that. That reaching out that goes beyond a simple need for communication, and selfish base instinct... (Mine or the animals') But that horse coming up to say 'Hi-do-ya-hava-treat' at the fence wasn't it.

Spend some time, learn what they are behaviorally, what the body language means and frankly how dangerous they can be, and then maybe I'll bother to listen to you when you sound off with adjectives like 'repellent' and 'offensive'. I find the sentimentalist, emotional drivel that people spout off when they barely know one end of a horse from another 'repellent' and 'offensive' myself.

As far as trust... Well, part of that is what you teach them. My horses trust me because I am consistent, clear, I don't beat them, and I believe communication is a two way street. That horse at the fence had already been taught to trust people, or at least associate them with something good. You don't need saddle training to do that, you need some carrots.

Spend a few years, get a few scrapes, bruises, or even broken bones and concussions from a thousand + lbs of panic, belligerant, or (although I'm sure you won't believe this) just-plain-sneaky-murderous-mean, and then maybe you'll have some credibility.

Until then, I wish people like you would shut up. You hurt more horses than you help.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
Ever wonder why it seems okay to slaughter cows and eat them but it is "wrong" to eat a horse?
Horse meat used to be a common source of food in pre-christian Europe. The only groups that did not eat horse meat were the Jewish and Islamic people because the meat was seen as "unclean". * In fact the consumption of horse meat was very prominent in Germanic Pagan religions as it was tied to the worship of Odin. So why did the western world and Europe start seeing horse meat as taboo? The Christians.
*In 732 Pope Gregory III put a ban on eating horse meat because it was seen a pagan practice. Even in modern times there has been anti-horse meat legislation passed to ban its sale, the miscellaneous health boards state to state have changed sanitary codes to halt the production of horse meat.
So today the only reason we do not eat horse meat is because of anti-pagan propaganda spread by the early christian church. So we have people that have issue with the pointless killing of feral horses, if horse meat was legal people could eat it and it could be good for the economy. Pagans could also worship freely and once again eat horse to worship their gods. Not only that but with a legal horse hunting season the feral horse population could be kept in check and local farmers would no longer have to worry about their grazing areas, everybody wins.

You don't eat horse meat, but plenty of other people do. I have eaten horse meat and many many other people who live in the Netherlands eat it somewhat regularly..because it's pretty good meat.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger

So today the only reason we do not eat horse meat is because of anti-pagan propaganda spread by the early christian church. .

Incorrect and offensive statement.

The Popes declaration had nothing to do with the early Christian Church.

It only had to do with a rouge state implemented religion that adopted a flawed and pagan riddled form of what it thought to be Christianity. This religion was called Catholicism.

It has nothing to do with the true Christian Church. Do not lump all Christians into this basket. That is like saying all Germans are Nazis.

You should re-word your statement to read,

"So today the only reason we do not eat horse meat is because of anti-pagan propaganda spread by the early Catholic Church."

Which in itself is half pagan, so that's kinda like the Catholic Churches way of trying of shake off it's own shortcomings and trying to make itself look like something it's not.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

No, you are correct, I have never owned a Siamese, but I have been in 'too close' contact with two of them once in my life. They are smarter than you average cat, but, well....

I've had many cats in my life. Most of them have been basic cats and, as you say, pretty predictable and not what I would call geniuses. Then I made a mistake.

I bred my siamese named Epicenter and got Hurricane, Temblor, and Iridium. Then I bred Hurricane and got Ricochet. Let's just say they lived up to their names (including predicting an earthquake.) We called them a 'Hassle of Siamese.' Iridium could break into drawers by opening the cupboard beneath and pushing out the drawer. When I put baby locks on the cabinets, he figured out how to break in anyway.

I know this could be considered off-topic, but we were discussing our fondness for animals as sentient beings, so I hope this can stay. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

reply to post by rusethorcain

Very nice.
I had a pet pig when I was 5 years old. Her name was Sally. She weighed in at 450 pounds. I could open the door to her pen in the barn, she would follow me out into the barnyard, where I would scratch her side. Then she would lie down and roll over for me to scratch her belly.

Then we ate her.

No kidding. My mom's Canadian and the same thing happened to her as a child after she got attached to the pig, came home from school one day and there was her pet in about 20 pieces, arranged from hooks and nailed to the walls. My mother may have cried as a child but she never cried or seemed very sorry this had happened when she remembers as an adult. She just turned a little mean and cruel herself. When she starts the story about how the pig followed her around I saw my mother again as a child though she did not recognize the trip back in time herself. In the beginning her eyes light up, and they darkened at the end and they stayed dark.

I think we eat animals because they are mute.

They cannot communicate. And it is true. If an animal could talk and say "please don't eat me, I have a family and they love me, my children need me to protect them" - You would not eat them.

Oh sure there are those who will re-post and say...I will eat them, their family, those babies and the family pet too! And I will love every delicious morsel! But then these are thankfull,y only a few and...

But by then they will have to get their slaughtered "meat" on the black market...
But then society would have already outlawed eating anything that could talk.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

This has probably already been said but the most obvious reason to me would be why would you want to eat your ride?

Seriously. I don't think it is taboo as it is stupid plain and simple.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
If we can make a slave of them we will, make them carry us, pull our heavy loads protect us, entertain us ...fine... if not well then we eat them!
After all we OWN them. WE decide if a bird with wings gets to fly and find it's own mate, it is OURS! Slaves that all we want. If you reall think about it you will see it is true. It is just plain slavery.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by Char-Lee]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Horses are expensive!!!! If you owned one, you would most likely only eat it if it was a life or death scenario.

Plus, up until a hundred years ago, horses were the dominate method of transportation.

Why would you eat your automobile? Even if it was edible?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I have always been around horses, dogs, cats and parrots, and have or do own them.

Even the idea of eating any of the above is personally offensive to my senses. I would feel like I was eating friends.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I gave horse meat a try once in France. I just didn't find it as tasty as the meats I'm used to.

I do find it quite odd sometimes too, the rather arbitrary "rules" on what meat we eat. The way I look at it, If I'm going to eat one type of animal, why not pretty much any other? Even cat and dog I would try if it was on the menu, although I wouldn't eat my own pet cat as there is more of an attachment there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join