It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why we Don't eat Horse Meat

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

Finally, the nobility and majesty of the horse struck man's awakening sensibilities right down to his mortal soul.

But what makes a horse so noble? Why is it seen as majestic? It is just illogical double think that has been passed down through the ages.

If you want a new and reliable meat source and help clean up the environment as well...try rats.

There are people who own rats as pets that would disagree. Plus Rats are not ver efficent.

link   
But we do. I've eaten many a horse hamburger and horse meat loaf. There was a store that sold it right near my apartment in Seattle. It's very low in fat content and a bit darker in color. It tastes a bit "gamey," if that's the proper term. I have fed it to guests and about half of them did not like it. I don't think this was because they were appalled. They gave it an honest try and simply did not like the stronger taste.

link   
Horses have other uses, which is why they are not eaten. Horses are ridden on. At least that is why I believe they were not eaten traditionally, especially. Seems wasteful to eat what would be your livelihood (a soldier with a horse, a deliveryman with a horse, a farmer with a horse and cart, etc.).

I do not believe that muslims have any sort of prohibition against horse meat, althought Jews do (the whole cloven hoof thing).

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain

Humans are "supposed" to eat food that is alive.

Edit Sorry. I misread it. I thought you wrote 'dead' not 'alive'.
And although you're still probably mocking me, I'll leave my original reply:

Hmmmm. I never got that memo or read it in the "Origins of Life" manual.

Can't you just safely say.....this is YOUR belief (and the majority's.....no doubt) rather than making it a given golden rule?

Can't you consider, we've been tweaked....modified, dumb-downed throughout time?

[edit on 14-7-2010 by One Moment]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Eating horses seems barbaric imo. Horses helped shape the history of the world by bearing mankind upon their backs. They are majestic animals and are intelligent and sensitive.

People who eat horses are straight-up weirdos in my book.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I never knew I could buy horse meat in other parts of the world and eat it.
Thanks for the info.
Next time I go to Europe I am going to find a place that serves up a nice big fat horse steak.
You guys have me starving right now just thinking about it.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I remember up until the age of 5 or so I thought "Steak" was horse meat haha.

I would have it on a rare occasion as a kid but I just thought that horses had strong muscles and a steak was a lot to chew on when I was a youngin so I figured they were the same.

As a kid I never thought eating horses felt weird. As an adult it still doesn't seem weird to me.

I always wondered why not eat it, after I was corrected

I'm down for some horse products!

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Zaiger,
Although odds are Mister Ed may not be on the menu where you live, there are some who do still eat horse meat according to this link:

Because horses have played a big part in the history of civilized society as both work animals and pets, many cultures consider it taboo to even consider eating them. Americans, for example, will not entertain the idea of eating horsemeat. But in South America, China, Japan, and many European countries including France, Italy, and Switzerland, horsemeat is just as common on the dinner table as other meats. The eight most populous countries in the world consume almost 5 million horses each year.
source/link: www.buzzle.com...

in some places on earth i think people would be surprised to learn about what people may not admit to eating, though.

link   

reply to post by zaiger

Please, I am certain that at one point in our history we used to eat each other. Bad ideas just tend to fall by the wayside, on their own, given enough time.

Finally, the nobility and majesty of the horse struck man's awakening sensibilities right down to his mortal soul.
They used to run horses off a cliff to kill them. This was before people knew they could be trained and ridden. It is said, this memory is why horses are skiddish around humans.

If you want a new and reliable meat source and help clean up the environment as well...try rats.

Anyone for Chinese?

And there you go. Spot on. Thanks for helping me make my point.

If you can accept that there might've been a time when man ate man then why is it so hard to conceive that man only ate vegetation at one point too? What....?....not graphic or negative enough?

link   

Originally posted by One Moment

Sure you did. You just didn't pay attention to it. You have canine teeth. You didn't develop those to eat asparagus. They are for ripping flesh.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

reply to post by zaiger

I personally don't think live bodies are meant to eat dead bodies so I wonder when and where eating 'meat' became socially acceptable.
Bet there are quite a few cats that would disagree with that statement!

I think it became socially acceptable when prehumans decided it was much better to eat meat than starve!

Keep in mind that in some social circles, it was socially acceptable to eat humans, in the not too distant past.

Go to Liberia, you will find that cannibalism is socially acceptable today!

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

reply to post by zaiger

Please, I am certain that at one point in our history we used to eat each other. Bad ideas just tend to fall by the wayside, on their own, given enough time.

They used to run horses off a cliff to kill them. This was before people knew they could be trained and ridden. It is said, this memory is why horses are skiddish around humans.

Anyone for Chinese?

I find your last coment rather pathetic. Enjoy pork do you... Please keep on eating, because pigs are the closest DNA link to humans. Thats why you can have a human organ grown on a pig, then transplanted into a human and any mixture of that you wish.
So when you and your family are squirming from mental illness and collapse of vital organs remember your comment.

Anyone for cannibal?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Master Shen long

Pigs are the closest DNA link to people? I know a couple of Rhesus monkeys and Chimpanzees that would beg to differ.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I am not sure why, but I can tell you that I personally feel a very strong spiritual connection with horses. I am filled with such utter revulsion at the thought of killing a horse that I am at a loss to explain it. I assure you it has nothing to do with my Christian upbringing, as "don't eat horse" was never uttered in my church. I did grow up on a working farm though, and was always hanging out feeding our horses carrots and apples. Recently my wife and I visited some friends that have horses, and one of them that is not saddle broken yet walked up to me and put her nose over the fence and we just stood there cuddling (for lack of a better word) for 15 minutes or so. I feel like there is an implied trust and spiritual link between humans and the working animals that enabled us to build our civilization, and to kill such an animal unnecessarily seems a violation of that trust. I don't much care for thinking of how my hamburger or steak came to be on my plate either, but again the thought of the same fate befalling a horse is utterly repellent and offensive to me.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by belowcommonknowledge]

[edit on 14-7-2010 by belowcommonknowledge]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Besides horse tastes just like human

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
It's on the menu here in Québéc, but since I'm from Kentucky, that's where it will stay.

My dad refers to my Québécois partner as a "great judge of horseflesh".

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MrsBlonde

you are not providing us with statistics on the world wide Feral Horse problem

Did i say it was a world wide problem???

I had no idea. are you saying that the pastures of the planet are being destroyed by the worlds least populous wild animal?

Did i mention anything about the patures of the plante?

that opinion based the fact that primitive people

English please

you're entitled to an opinion but I have to say that opinion based the fact that primitive people ate horse meat and so should we is hardly a convincing argument Why don't we open dog slaughter houses ?the Chinese have them now .?

So people were primitive before christianity? Are the chinese inferior to you somehow? Im not sure what you are getting at.

here is a comprehensive website on the horsemeat issue it's full of facts .

Oh yes soooooo many facts lets see...

Jan 12, 2010-Gillette News Record-Horse group says boycott PETA, celebrities

Aug 6, 2009- Undercover Investigation Underscores USDA - Documented Brutality

And a video of a slaughter house which ido not really care to watch. But if shock videos is your thing more power to you.

The thread is my opinion with some facts. The fact is horse meat is taboo because of religion, my opinion is a possible solution for the ongoing problem of the land use controversies about the feral horse.
Your post is really just a bad attempt to plug your own thread and a retarded site that could be summed up as "OMG DEAD HORSES WHAAAAAAAA"

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
In the ages of kings the aristocrats named the horses noble animals and because of their prices they could win with races etc. horses weren't eaten.

nowadays it is still within the believe of people that horses are noble animals.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
reply to post by One Moment

You see........I happen to believe in Atlantis so my dogmatic-belief system goes way back. I am pretty certain they did not live to slaughter other live creatures.

What do you mean your belief system goes way back? The belief in atlantis goes way back? Which atlantis? The one plato talked about or the atlantis from la la land that was so far advanced that they got owned by natural disaster and were never seen again? How is it dogmatic?

Atlantis is not taught or talked about in schools or religions so theoretically, I believe in something (a Race) that does not even exist (according to the people who run this planet).

As far as dogma, I meant it tongue n cheek because it's only MY opinion rather than the Establishments'.

Plato, as insightful as he appears to have been was....undermined by the Elite by suggesting he was talking about a myth (Atlantis) not a real place or species.

Gotta love it when you can throw a blanket term on something like the "Elites" and it makes any little inconsistancies dissapear.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Humans are "supposed" to eat food that is alive.

Edit Sorry. I misread it. I thought you wrote 'dead' not 'alive'.
And although you're still probably mocking me, I'll leave my original reply:

Can't you just safely say.....this is YOUR belief (and the majority's.....no doubt) rather than making it a given golden rule?

Can't you consider, we've been tweaked....modified, dumb-downed throughout time?

[edit on 14-7-2010 by One Moment]

No offense but what the heck are you talking about?
I gave you stars and said I liked your Avatar.
And when you mentioned the Atlanteans I said you should google the 144 Thousand.
The Atlanteans will be here soon.
You thought that was a joke or something?

Serious as the heart attacks all these folks eating meat are setting themselves up for.
See video imbedded in post here, www.abovetopsecret.com...
Or Goggle it... and then berate me as you will.

If I was mocking you, you would know, and there would be no mistake about it.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by rusethorcain]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join