It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Excellent Alternative To A Hand Gun

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
For what its worth - there are quite a few things on the net about this.

Snopes gives it a "mixed"...

Snopes - Wasp Spray

Another one..

Personal Protection - Wasp vs Pepper Spray

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I agree. i think it is a decent alternative, better than mace for sure. I got an email a while back about this. I also have 2 young boys, and I worry about a firearm in the house.

Also, I think its a great idea to have behind the counter at a small mom and pop type shop. There have been several occasions when some way creepy guys come in the shop when I'm there alone.
and to those that are talking trash about not having a gun... it is a personal choice. It doesn't mean we are anti gun... i'm quite the opposite.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ZuluChaka

she said she has a special needs child who is curious. And she also doesnt feel a "safe is safe enough"

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by paxnatus

I am in no way saying you are stupid but, anyone who would use anything but lethal force against a criminal with an intent to do your harm is an idiot.
You may fend off an attack and said individual will live.
He/She will then, Sue you for all of your worldly goods and then have your wages garnished for the rest of your life and then same said person will then victimize more individuals maybe even kill them.
They may also come back for you.
And if you fail at exterminating such a parasite you may just deserve any retaliation that comes your way.
Some people may disagree with me about using the spray but homeowners have been prosecuted before for doing just things.
And now for the capper, when giving the Police report only my statement will be taken as the offender will be unable to speak.

I agree.

I suggest people brush up on their Machiavelli :

Hence it comes about that all armed Prophets have been victorious, and all unarmed Prophets have been destroyed.
Niccolo Machiavelli

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.
Niccolo Machiavelli

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteDevil013

That was no fair play, they deserve to lose that way. And you can learn so much on a defence training. I give lessons to woman who thinks they are at risk in ther jobs!

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ni91ck

Defense training is an excellent idea.
And for the record a person who impedes on your rights would be the one to start the unfair play.
Why give them the option to do it again?
Even in the offchance they were prosecuted they would never be rehabilitated.
Psychopath is not like catching a cold, give it a week and it will be over.
Psycopaths get over it upon death.

(Edit) Oops i read your wrong post but will leave this up still as it applies.

[edit on 12-7-2010 by g146541]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Yep, .45 is some serious business.

To Paxnatus:
I have a very alert 4 year old son, who follows me everywhere, and imitates everything I do.

As for my young boy, my opinion is that he has no need to know that there are any weapons in the house.

I don't even leave magazines (reading material, not mags!) laying around, and if any of my guns were not stored in the safe, well, there not in my nightstand, either.

My thoughts are that he won't go looking for something that ain't there.
That combined with the physical limitations of a 4 year old, and I feel very confident that my home is as safe, if not safer, than a home without firearms.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ZuluChaka

havent you seen rain man? it all depends on what there "specialty is" some its math combinations some its other ones but yeah the safe could definatly be considered a challenge

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old and my approach was exactly the opposite, lol!

They know exactly where the guns are, and how they work, and they know to never touch one. They see me handle it with care and caution, and we never joke or play with a gun. ( I guess I should add that all the guns are in a very large, very secure combination safe.)

About a year ago the older one pointed a toy gun at our dog. I immediately took it away and asked him why he wanted to kill the dog. He thought it was funny at first until I have him a long guilt trip about the dog being dead and never being able to play again, and missing him, until I made the poor kid cry! Now he helps to monitor the little one when it comes to pointing toy guns at anything you don't want dead. That is how I learned. NEVER POINT A GUN AT ANYTHING YOU DON'T WANT TO KILL!

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oaktree
reply to post by camaro68ss

Yep, .45 is some serious business.

To Paxnatus:
I have a very alert 4 year old son, who follows me everywhere, and imitates everything I do.

As for my young boy, my opinion is that he has no need to know that there are any weapons in the house.

I don't even leave magazines (reading material, not mags!) laying around, and if any of my guns were not stored in the safe, well, there not in my nightstand, either.

My thoughts are that he won't go looking for something that ain't there.
That combined with the physical limitations of a 4 year old, and I feel very confident that my home is as safe, if not safer, than a home without firearms.

I would agree, not being a parent and learning what my father tought me at a young age, he showed me how to respect a gun and showed me how dangerous they are. I remember from a young age he told me " now if you play with this and shot yourself you will die and never see mommy or daddy again, EVER!" i think he told me this when i was like 6 or 7. and i remember it ever sence.

One importent thing when your son is older is to show him the importence of gun safety. only you can determan what age that will be.

Sorry for the bad spelling. im the worst in the world but i hope you get what im saying.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
My personal experience indicates that wasp/hornet spray is far from effective against human assailants.

I was on the roof servicing my A/C last year. May daughter, then 12 was going around the house on wasp patrol, as we had several nests popup previously. I was at the pinnacle of the roof over my garage when I peered over the edge to shout down to my daughter. As fate would have it, there was a nest about 6 inches below my face (under the eve), and my daughter let loose on this nest just as I peered my head over. I took a good blast right to the face (even swallowed a little!).

Long story short, it felt like I got shampoo in my eyes. It burned, but my vision wasn't affected, and the burning sensation was nowhere near as severe as I had anticipated. I was able to make my way off the roof and inside to wash my face, with no difficulty.

That said, if someone was using a can of wasp spray to deter me from a goal, it wouldn't even slow me down. I've seen this email making the rounds previously, but my own assessment is that a can of wasp spray is good for killing wasps. As a personal defense measure, it's a false sense of security that could potentially make a bad situation worse.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

My dad is a Korean War Vet, a Marine, and more of a bada$$ than I will ever be.
Times were different when I was a young child, and my dad did not hide the fact that he always kept a loaded .45 revolver in his drawer.

I can tell you that I (and my friends) "played" with that loaded .45 revolver plenty.

Was I a brat? Probably, but that gun was so cool, and the fact that it was my dad's (whom I idolized) gun...

He had a way of knowing I had been in his drawer, too, and my butt paid the price plenty.

It wasn't until I was about 10 or 11 years old, me and my dad were camping, we went for a walk.
My dad pulled from his backpack a big old ham shoulder and a chicken.

He hung them from a tree, put a few rounds through each, and showed me the carnage.

I have NEVER handled a gun in an unsafe way since then, and that was his intention.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

You suck! I spit out my coffee dern you!
I pictured a Tim Allen scene and dern near died laughing.
People stumbling off of roofs and such.
As i recall though I have no wasp spray here but I had a buddy who was a pest guy and wasp spray is just liquefied silica gel.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
By first thought this sound as a good alternative.

But.What if there are more intruders with guns, wearing ski masks ?
I would not put my faith to a wasp spray in this case. You may risc, they'll grab it and turn it against you instead. What a scenario

I'll stick to Lavender or perfume, if it's only ment to be for "distraction"

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
This is a great thread and a great piece of advice.

Of course there will be plenty of people (I'm one of them) to try and figure why anyone would not want a handgun in said instances, however, I love the thought. Especially those who live in apartment or townhomes. You don't have to worry about a bullet killing the child next door as it sleeps.

Of course, while the asailent is disorientated... Its would be a great time to let them know how you feel... Fists... Chains...

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
An Excellent Alternative to "A" Hand Gun? two hand guns

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

Yes...the newest chain email to make thee rounds...wasp spray. I do consider that, too, this idea is effectively 'introduced', and resultant situation is monitored by tptb. Easy as pie, like any food store's 'preferred card' data coming in after an Oprah meat alert. Let's see..people buying tons and tons of tuna fish canned, and what's this.....

Just sayin' that this will have a monitored program dedicated to it by tptb, esp. if the idea was started there. From a nwo standpoint...It has potential value.

Tony used wasp spray on ralph in the Sopranos.

One thing to consider...if the assailant's blind until the 'antidote' is administered (which I doubt), won't this cause a mega-desperate attacker situation? Best to stay out of any confined areas after the spray is sprayed. I am thinking of the way-bad villain in 'No Country for Old Men' getting wasp sprayed/blinded, and what this guy would do to stay on top of the situation. Seemed to have a real control thing....wasp spray would have been an interesting twist on the plot.

[edit on 13-7-2010 by davidmann]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Isn't this a hoax?

SEE: urbanlegends.about.com...

Whoops. Ciao 4 now.. RDDS

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by davidmann

You are correct about it being monitored, quick lets all go buy guns!
Lol wouldn't that rock.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
out of curiosity, i looked in the shed
and brake parts cleaner shot out way out in a steady stream.
then toss a match on em. -just kidding-
if you cant have a gun- my first choice-
then watch the SLINGSHOT CHANNEL
a 60 cal. ball that would shatter a noggin.
cheap easy quiet.
i like canes that you can put a long sticker in.
saw the head off a composite golf club.
be on your way to do some remodeling with a drywall hammer.
or a well worn cement trowel..
you get my drift-
a scarf is a weapon.
a tin can lid folded over-
taking the kids to the park- take a bat an ball.
it maybe a mindset thing also-
these days nothing surprises me.
i hope.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join