It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Excellent Alternative To A Hand Gun

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I received this information from a family member, and felt it was worthy enough to share. I started to direct this post to woman only, but I feel it is an alternative to everyone who may need to protect themselves.

If you find yourself in a situation where for whatever reason you just cannot keep a gun in your home, then this alternate may work for you.

For example I will not own a handgun because of my special needs child. He is very creative and curious so not even a safe eases my mind.

Take a look at this, a much cheaper way to stop an intruder.

GREAT IDEA!

Never thought about this before but important to know! Yes! I keep one of these at every entry door both in the house and in the shop. I am ALWAYS armed but who knows when........

You can see its not too heavy so you could carry one on your walks. Will stop hornets, dogs and two legged varmints in their tracks!!

Subject: Wasp Spray

I know some of you own GUNS but this is something to think about...---

If you don't have a gun, here's a more humane way to wreck someone's evil plans for you.

Did you know this? I didn't. I never really thought of it before. I guess I can get rid of the baseball bat.

Wasp Spray - A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection. She asked the local police department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a can of wasp spray instead.

The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you.

The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote. She keeps a can on her desk in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would.

She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection.

Thought this was interesting and might be of use.

On the heels of a break in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, self defense experts have a tip that could save your life.

Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School . For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed.

Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them."
Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray. The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says "spray the culprit in the eyes". It's a tip he's given to students for decades.

It's also one he wants everyone to hear. If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the spray. "That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out." Maybe even save a life.

So what do you think ATS? I think it is a brilliant idea

Kindly,

Pax

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Hmmm. back soon just of to the shops. for some wasp spray.
this is a great idea. and if you dont say the wroung thing if the cops get invold you will be ok. he had a wasp on his nose! hehe.
" officer he attackt me and I pickt up the nearest thing"

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I'm guessing there are other objections you have to having a Hand Gun besides your child , Unless he is psychic and could somehow read your mind for the safe combination , I don't understand how he would get into the safe... Your fear seems irrational. Also having a can of wasp spray near every door with a special needs child , may not be the smartest thing to do imho...

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

Why do you need an alternative to a handgun. A handgun works just fine. It has a much longer distance and you dont have to hit them in the eyes, you just have to hit them.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Cheaper, more volume, and shoots farther than mace!

Plus, you can use it of a wasp flyes in the door.

Now, on a more serious note, I have been maced, and tazered with the little over the counter tazers (on purpose, not in commission of crimes), and I can guarantee that neither of those would stop me from completing any task at hand, whatever that task may be.

I have never been sprayed with wasp spray, and I have never been tazered by police. The police tazer looks pretty hearty, I don't wanna try it, although I have learned evasive tactics in case that opportunity comes along. I don't plan to try the wasp spray.

Here is the thing. These tactics are for a diversion and escape. Spray, Run, Lock yourself in and call the police. If you live in the country, or you don't have a nearby police force or neighbors, then you better find yourself a more permanent solution than wasp spray or mace. After a couple of minute, you are going to have an even more angry assailant!

Maybe put the wasp spray near the door, and put the pump action twelve guage in a locked safe. Let the spray buy you the minute or so it takes to get into your safe.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I can see that having a few cans of relatively inexpensive wasp/hornet spray strategically placed in one's home as a viable safety measure whether or not you are a proponent of having a firearm for defense.

The range of the spray would allow a better chance of avoiding a physical confrontation, and allow for escape or the chance to call the authorities..

..and for those who do appreciate the value of having a firearm handy, give you the time to retrieve said weapon to keep the perp pinned down til they can be picked up by the local law..

interesting, have to do some more checking to make sure that the spray doesn't cause anything more permanent damagewise, but from first glance I don't see the harm in using it in the arsenal..

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Why not just get some hydrochloric acid and make a lil "toy" gun?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Funny you bring that up.

I have heard of that before, and here's my personal experience with wasp spray.

About three weeks ago, I was out back replacing some panels on my shed.
Plenty of wasps had moved in, so I had several cans of wasp spray.

I went to set one can on a shelf, and didn't see the nail in the wall, which, of course, was at the perfect height to hold down the "trigger" as I put the can on the shelf.

Well, I took a blast right in the face. Eyes, ears, everywhere.

Since I had heard of this as a weapon before, I prepared for the pain, and hi-tailed it through my back yard which had a bunch of firewood strewn about, waiting to be stacked.
I made it through my mess of a garage, into my house, up the hall steps, down another hallway, and into the bathroom to wash my eyes out,
all without experiencing much pain.

Point to my very long story?

I made it quite a bit further than I would want any "would-be attacker" to make it, and I wasn't angry, drunk, or high.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   

I want to start by saying I hope you dont take this a a cut against you because it is not.

But what would happen if you clever special needs child gets a hold of the wasp spray?

And what happens if the end does come and you are trying to defend you family that already has one foot in the hole with a can of insect repellent?

Buy a gun and put a trigger lock on it and then put it in a safe. Life is dangerous especially when you let fear rule you. I hope you dont take this the wrong way.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

\
It sounds like wasp spray is not very effective on humans. Thanks for the info. I have befriended a skunk. If I am attacked, I will just pick him up point his rear at the attacker and squeeze.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

Yep! I was afraid of that. Pepper Spray is the same way. Sure it burns and hurts, but not enough to distract me from an important task, such as grabbing the person that just sprayed me!

My buddy and I sprayed each other with many forms of Pepper Spray. Some even required release forms to purchase from a cop magazine. (He is an FBI Special Agent.) None of those sprays were sufficient to disable me even when I am not mad and without the assistance of adrenaline or drugs.

We both concluded that the gun is still the first weapon of choice. Handgun for the road, shotgun for the house.

(Shotgun with light shot will clear a hallway, and blast anything in front of you, but it won't penetrate the walls into the sleeping kids rooms. I am very fond of my double pistol grip 12-guage with a 500,000 candle power xenon light that is thumbswitch activated. Hit the light in a dark house, and pump it one time with that distinctive sound, and firing it isn't even necessary, as anybody on the other end is thoroughly identified, blinded, and soiled!)

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oaktree
Funny you bring that up.

I have heard of that before, and here's my personal experience with wasp spray.

About three weeks ago, I was out back replacing some panels on my shed.
Plenty of wasps had moved in, so I had several cans of wasp spray.

I went to set one can on a shelf, and didn't see the nail in the wall, which, of course, was at the perfect height to hold down the "trigger" as I put the can on the shelf.

Well, I took a blast right in the face. Eyes, ears, everywhere.

Since I had heard of this as a weapon before, I prepared for the pain, and hi-tailed it through my back yard which had a bunch of firewood strewn about, waiting to be stacked.
I made it through my mess of a garage, into my house, up the hall steps, down another hallway, and into the bathroom to wash my eyes out,
all without experiencing much pain.

Point to my very long story?

I made it quite a bit further than I would want any "would-be attacker" to make it, and I wasn't angry, drunk, or high.

Thats a good first hand acount if you ask me. A criminal will have alot harder time getting as far as you did with my .45 in his chest.

I keep it locked up and only my GF and i know the safe number. there is no way a kid can get into it and if he/she did its up high and he/she cant reach.

[edit on 12-7-2010 by camaro68ss]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Well over here in UK are overlords will not let us have gun's but i think wasp spray is also a bad idea over here.

You see if someone attacks us and we spray them even to defend ourselves we would end up been sued.

Bad guy's win in UK strange but true.

Thankyou

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

The more inexpensive the better! God knows what they put in the cheap stuff.

Great idea starred and flagged! Another good tip is to have a biro pen on you at all times, as it is illegal to carry a knife but a biro can do just as much damage.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I prefer my training by the Dutch marine commando's. learn'd to kill in 65 ways without a weapon!

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

If you take for instance, a child who is autistic.. they can think in amazing ways. So perhaps the OP has a child who may not be deemed normal, the child may be incredibly intelligent.. And a safe could represent a challenge to such a child.. thus it's no longer a case of them just casually opening it.. but rather it's a goal to open it.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

So when did Autistic kids
become safe crackers?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ni91ck
I prefer my training by the Dutch marine commando's. learn'd to kill in 65 ways without a weapon!

You must be referring to your soccer team?

After seeing them play yesterday......I want to learn how to kick the crap out someone while making it look like you're just playing a game

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Just like you, me and friends thought it would be funny to spray each other with Mace and Sabre.

Wasp spray doesn't even come close in comparison to those sprays.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

I am in no way saying you are stupid but, anyone who would use anything but lethal force against a criminal with an intent to do your harm is an idiot.
You may fend off an attack and said individual will live.
He/She will then, Sue you for all of your worldly goods and then have your wages garnished for the rest of your life and then same said person will then victimize more individuals maybe even kill them.
They may also come back for you.
And if you fail at exterminating such a parasite you may just deserve any retaliation that comes your way.
Some people may disagree with me about using the spray but homeowners have been prosecuted before for doing just things.
And now for the capper, when giving the Police report only my statement will be taken as the offender will be unable to speak.

(Edit) For all who have never dealt with an Autistic child.
Autistic does not mean stupid or idiot.
I have personally known several brilliant Autistic kids.
And seeing is how they generally specialize in some area of something, safecracking is not out of the realm of possibilities.
I knew a boy who could tell you about any car ever made, new or old. what their specs were what kind of tires they came with too. kid was a friggin machine.

[edit on 12-7-2010 by g146541]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join