It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carl Sagan - A world not made for us.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Carl Sagan gives his view on religion and our place in the universe.

Enjoy !

What a shame there are not more of him/
R.I.P.

Edit to put an R in world

[edit on 7/10/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I've only learned of Carl Sagan's existence a year ago. I bought his Cosmos series on DVD and I've seem numerous videos of him passing by. Especially on ATS.

I've got a lot of respect for this guy and I think he is one of the most brilliant and open minded scientist I've seen. I applaud his logic and his talent to let the common man understand what he so passionately tries to teach.

Again in his video, He brings the concept of religion, and he slices of what can't be right, using common sense and logic.

His view is almost my view. I can relate to his conclusion and I admire this man just a little bit more for it.

His biggest abnormality is his voice or rather his dialect. I read he was born in New York, He sounds like he is from a whole other country.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
religion is a tool
religion is for the weak

any type of tool that doesnt allow you to use your brain and think for yourself is bad

I dont want to add more, anyone with half of a brain can understand what I just said and should be able to agree

plus, you dont need to have a religion to believe in something divine ...

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

Yeah...

Sagan brings it with a little more finesse, but he says the same thing IMO.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Thank you for reminding me what a brilliant man Carl Sagan was.

I remember watching Cosmos: A Personal Voyage years ago, it definatly had a lasting effect on me. The music also was just as impressive as the content .

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing I found the video to be an enjoyable watch.

I like that he explained things elegantly but still got his point across.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

That was the exact reason I posted this video.

Sagan had the talent to make you think about what he said.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I love Sagan, what a shame he died so young.

He single handedly make science fashionable and opened up a lot of peoples eyes to the wonders of our universe.

Carl Sagan- A Life is a great read by Keay Davidson.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Loved the video - Love Carl Sagaan. You have to admire the fact that he was an athiest, and one that vocalised his beliefs, without being a total dick like Richard Dawkins.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Caral Sagan was a great man. I have seen many of his video's on youtube, but never saw his programs on t.v. Actually i just found out about him about two years ago. He seems to have a way of making science sound simple to the everyday person. I especially liked his video on the 4th dimension and flat land, very well explained i thought

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Faiol
religion is a tool
religion is for the weak

I do not agree with that.

If it was not for christianity the west would never have been, and we would all be like africa and india still.

Think about it.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

Considering tools are what we use to... live.

reply to post by Sinter Klaas

I love to listen to Carl a lot too. He's right on many things.

But once you start to actually observe the solar system, it actually seems ordered and designed.

Of course, leave the solar system and that idea is a shotgun to the face.

But within the solar system, pretty ordered.

Once you leave it, everything in always increasing in chaos. misplaced gas giants incinerated by their star, super earths that have intense problems with their inner structure and are too large and too out placed to allow as good conditions here. Doesn't mean they don't have life, just means it's going to be more difficult to live on.

Of the 1000+ worlds we know of, only the locals in this solar system are arranged in such a way as to promote life.

Got no problem believing in science and religion together. But due to that same scientific observational nature, I'm not going to ignore the perfect placement of worlds to promote the world we have, and the lack there of in other solar systems.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Carl Sagan was a bum, a sellout, a liar. He knew the truth but lied to all of us to protect the government. He got funded and set up nicely, all he had to do was not speak the truth. He was a sellout of the highest order.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Sinter Klaas... thank you for this brief moment of peace and fascination

s*f

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by phineasJwhoopie

Obvious troll is obvious.

Sagan used the scientific method to observe the universe while still keeping a sense of wonder, not an easy thing to do.

Though I heard he smoked weed regularly, that helps.

[edit on 11-7-2010 by Pineal]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
am sorry. but what is this. i mean is there a single accurate bit of info in it. I know that religion teaches me that we are not the center of the universe. that the universe was created from a single point and is ever expanding "The heavens, We have built them with power. And verily, We are ever expanding it" (quran, 51:47).. religion stated before any science came along that there is more than one dimension. and what is this garbage about the "tree of knowledge". the actual story is it was just a tree. no special significance. it was a lesson to man kind and an introduction to satan. for religion tells me that we were created to occupy and govern the earth, and that was humans original purpose. and humans were given knowledge before being sent down to earth.
and for any one to tell me that religion is not true... than how were we given this knowledge hundred of years ago and only now modern science is catching up and only confirming the truth of it.
the only ignorance is thinking that we are powerful and we can understand and create any thing we want.
"What is the matter with you, that you are not conscious of Allah's majesty, seeing that it is He Who has created you in diverse stages? See you not how Allah has created the seven heavens one above another, and made the moon a light in their midst, and made the sun as a (glorious) lamp? And Allah has produced you from the earth, growing (gradually)" (quran, 71:13-17).

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by thedarktower

seriously that was the cooles vid ever i thougt so

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Carl Sagon is a 1st class phony. He passed off "religion" as science. He wanted to get into the National Science Foundation -- didn't make it. The said he was a religious leader, and wouldn't admit him.

He set up those giant discs looking for contact with ET's when the evidence of ET's on earth is overwhelming.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
S & F. Can't go wrong with Carl Sagan, IMO.

He gives me hope in making me feel like I can possibly understand more aspects of science than I realize without making me feel like the subject material has been dumbed down, since it hasn't been.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by jenocyderose
S & F. Can't go wrong with Carl Sagan, IMO.

He gives me hope in making me feel like I can possibly understand more aspects of science than I realize without making me feel like the subject material has been dumbed down, since it hasn't been.

Yea, it is like going to church, or to a rock concert.

second line

[edit on 11-7-2010 by etcorngods]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join