It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist find an earthlike planet nearby

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by therealnews

I am one of those who had never heard of this new planet until I read your post, and I appreciate your putting it up. I get so damned angry whenever I think of the possibility that much knowlege of our universe is being kept from us. On the other hand I believe info such as an asteroid about to wipe us out, should be kept secret so as to avoid panic.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   

No problem. And theres many ways to detect the planets such as the planet passing in front of its star, and detecting the composition of the planets through the radiation spectrum. Each element gives off its own distict color on the color spectrum when its electrons go back down to ground state, and the color spectrum can be used to determine the elements on that planet. I'm not an expert on it but thats a general idea. It's basically all frequencies on the spectrum so yea, we can pick up frequencies in deep space. Frequencies on a dimentional level however, is a whole different story.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Bkrmn

Thanks. I put it up for that exact reason. Nice to meet you and I hope I can possibly see some interesting information I may not have seen yet from you!

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
It might be earth-like in a pure scientific classification, but that's all about it. The environment so far:

Atmosphere: mainly hydrogen and helium
Surface Gravity: 0.91g (this is actually acceptable)
Surface Temperature: 120–282°C, which also indicates an extremely high atmospheric pressure on the water surface
A high atmospheric, hydrospheric and tectonic activity is to be expected due to the close proximity to the star. This means permanent hurricanes, tidal waves in the hundred to thousand meter scale, powerful sea currents, permanent earthquakes and high volcanic activity.

Even if we neglect the distance, mars is far more habitable than this planet. We had to place colony modules either on the surface of a raving sea or sink them into unknown depths with crushing pressure. The atmosphere violently reacts with every bit of oxygen that leaks out. Yes, explosions. And none of the resources could be reached with any currently thinkable mining technology. I think this planet had to wait, even if we could reach it.

[edit on 10-7-2010 by chase the sun]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by therealnews
They still aren't telling us the entire truth about our solar system.

What makes you say that, and how does it relate to the story? I'm always intrigued when people claim "we're not being told the truth" every time a discovery is made. It almost makes me wish the news would stop covering astronomy. What's the point if people aren't going trust astronomers anyway?

[edit on 10-7-2010 by ngchunter]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   

WOW these guys were really giving you a hard time - i enjoyed the article and it was news to me so thanks !!! im new aswell...

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I'd not hear of this planet before..Enjoyed reading the Article.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   

I get what you mean about people wanting to argue all the time, it seems lately on ATS everybody wants to moan, complain or type abuse to new threads...

anyways, enjoyed reading your article... if there are aliens on that new planet they could be giants haha!!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by justjoemusic

Hopefully not!!! lol

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Would be nice if we could spend a little money on imporant stuff like this instead of some of the other lame things the human racce is doing right now.......

<< 1  2   >>

join