It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monkeys use trees to catapault themselves out of Japanese laboratory

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I don't find this hard to believe at all!
A family member of mine worked at a regional primate center where they had quite a large enclosure for Japanese macaques. They were kept to observe their social behavior and were not experimented on. Escapes were not infrequent and the animals were very ingenious as to their methods, one even escaped using the slingshot method described in the article.
At one point, a corrugated fiberglass sun shelter ( roof) was installed. The monkeys destroyed it in a day, EATING much of it! Another time a International truck was driven in to the compound to repair something, the colony immediatly began to dissassemble everything they could on the truck! The unbolted everything they could on the chassis and undercarriage! In Japan they like to dissassemble people's brick chimmneys
, then hide on the roof to fling the bricks at the hapless homeowners!
They are rescourceful intelligent and STRONG creatures!

[edit on 7-7-2010 by OldDragger]

[edit on 7-7-2010 by OldDragger]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Cmon guys a 17ft electric fence!! I cant see why they need a fence that high, and how can the security guards not see a group of monkeys strolling down a corridor and outside? Surely a facility with a 17ft electrified fence would have cams everywhere!

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
It is not only primates who have savvy

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Thanks so much for this. It is rare that I find a story on ATS that just makes me feel good like this one. I am not sure what impresses me more about the story. These chimps coming up with this plan or that they all got in on it together like that.

I was just watching a special about primates in captivity that come from labs and the circus. There was one lab one that did not like other animals, just humans. It preferred to wear hats than to climb and play. It was odd. I love thinking these chimps made a bid for freedom instead of becoming complacent lab rats.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

Ummmmm theres a link to the news article. Doubt a paper company would make something up like that.
You must work for PETA huh?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
VIVA LA SIMIAN REVOLUCIOUN!

Excellent best story for a while just a pity they were re caught.

some interesting info on Monkeys, their intelligense and social structures, for others here to: Humans Closest & Sex Mad Relative Under Threat of Extinction

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
hurray ninja monkeys!!!

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
All the monkeys need to head west now . Get out of Japan as soon as u can ...Head for a Tropical Island with no scientist

[edit on 7-7-2010 by AndersonLee]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Awesome!

Their hunger for freedom is one more sign that they are creatures of great intelligence.

This is a great day for animal liberation!

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
This was great to read, thread of the day in my eyes, hehe.
Yesterday the cop story, today the monkey story, whats up for tomorrow.

Just somehow angers me, how they took away their three branches, gues its just me, we get freedom, but these poor monkeys, just got to sit there all day and be observed by the scientist.
Of course, its better as living out in the woods, where they might get hunted down by some crazy hunter.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Just great!!

This also proofs that even monkeys do not like to be used and tortured against they'r will in horrible lab tests!... ... ...
As somebody as told once in a movie, "Life always find's a way... ... ..."!

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Thanks for posting that story

Inspirational, gave a me a boost of positive energy when I read it. Made my day, we could use some more feel good stories around here once in awhile. Hopefully they're planning their next great escape, and they'll stay gone the next time

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Hahahaha !

Love this story ! They should be release in the wild ( if not viral ...etc) just for this attempt. Monkeys 1, scientist 0.

We think that maybe there was some kind of dispute among the monkeys in the forest and so this group decided to leave.

Ya right! Maybe it's the food.

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
No Video, no further proove. Sounds like a fabricated story from some animal lovers

I wonder how bad those animals were locked up when they could so easily escape.

Also, no video found of animal lover creating a story like that.

S&F OP !

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81toujours nice de voir quil y a du monde qui parle francais sur ATS

Je suis un "oui oui" aussi

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Monkey's are the 4th smartest animals on Earth. Why not?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I find it interesting that recently there was a gorilla in NC that nearly escaped an exhibit by using a tree branch as a ladder. Now we have this exciting story about monkeys. Are these guys rapidly evolving before our very eyes or are they just underestimated?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Naughty B0B

The first.

It is very likely that after observing us for so long, they are picking up traits.

Observe:

Apes are observe and learn species, compensating for their lack of speech abilities. Now we have taught them speech (sign language) and technology. They are learning.

Crows, more intelligent than apes, also show this tendency.

Crows essentially can make tools, create spears, bend iron into shapes, hunt cats in packs, creatively think and act, and many things. Smarter than apes, and just as able to see and learn.

We are teaching our animal friends, and they are learning.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by Gorman91]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
The title is a little misleading. The Primate Institute is hardly a laboratory. People have a misconception that all research animals are locked in tiny little cages.

Here is the non human primate inclosure.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4917959d8bc8.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/494c42b3b203.jpeg[/atsimg]

Its quite shocking they haven't got out sooner. The facility is used for the research of primates and to study human evolution. You need to try an mimic actually conditions to do this type of research. Maybe this just got bored one day and went for a walk.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
im always amazed at the knee jerk reaction to the idea of using animals in research is somehow automatically cruel or inhumane... usually not the case... at least now a days... they are often treated and cared for better than peoples pets... also most of these research animals are captive breed and never know what it is to be "free"... the monkeys will probably be euthanized because of possibly being contaminated from the outside and the risk of infecting the rest of the animals in the study or vivarium... sad but true

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join