It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monkeys use trees to catapault themselves out of Japanese laboratory

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Monkeys use trees to catapault themselves out of Japanese laboratory

www.telegr aph.co.uk

A group of 15 monkeys at Kyoto University's primate research institute in Aichi Prefecture, which are the focus of a string of high-profile scientific studies, escaped from their forest home which is encased by a 17ft high electric fence.

The monkeys made their bid for freedom by using tree branches to fling themselves one by one over the high voltage electric fence located nearly three metres away.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Haha! What an AWESOME story!

Forget PETA, these primates took matters into their own hands, using their intelligence and inherent desire for freedom to break out of their "research" prison.

Unfortunately, it was short-lived, as they were all recaptured.

But I will be rooting for them to have a round 2, and hopefully vanish into the forest for good!

Primates are so cool.

www.telegr aph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I love it.

Oh how I hope / wish this was caught on a security camera or something.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Most excellent...

It's great to see my simian brethren throw off the yoke of tyranny and oppression... Viva le singes catapultant!

As for the scientist... Qu'ils mangent du gâteau...

Revolution Monkeys, not just for off with their heads anymore...

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Hahaha!

I really enjoyed that story! Minus getting re-captured!

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
No Video, no further proove. Sounds like a fabricated story from some animal lovers

I wonder how bad those animals were locked up when they could so easily escape.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I was so wanting a vid of this. Now that would be a sport I would watch monkey tossing!! Amazing how they figured out the fence was electrified and that it was just the fence. Than devising a plan to allow escape.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
this reminds me of people. We make a huge breakthrough towards become an evolved race and instead of using it for good, we sit around and talk how cool it was until someone sells it back to us.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
this smells hoax

come on ...

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
Most excellent...

It's great to see my simian brethren throw off the yoke of tyranny and oppression... Viva le singes catapultant!

C'est une chose the beauté dans notre monde!

I agree though, it's fantastic to see them almost evolving before our eyes, we see primates using tools now, fighting over land and all kinds of other things that we did not see 50 years ago when studying chimps and other primates.

I'm excited to see what the future holds for these beautiful creatures.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
Most excellent...

ahah indeed ... monkeys are one of the most intelligent species of the world on earth (outside water)
and in the sea .. the dolphins and the whales are one remarkable species to

as for the scientist lol... tres et trop poliment bien dit
jaurais mis autrechose que du gateau

tu vien de ou.. ? France Quebec ?
toujours nice de voir quil y a du monde qui parle francais sur ATS

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I still like the segway excape.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
There's a universal lesson to be learned here:

Once you gain your freedom, what are you going to do with it?

Obviously, the monkeys successfully thought through everything up to the moment they achieved their goal. But then, just like their human brethren, they sat around going, "OK, now what?", and were led back into the same place they just escaped from by accepting treats.

Some things don't change, even across species.

But great job, monkeys, on the first part.

Good luck on the second, and let us know if you get any bright ideas on that score, since most of us haven't figured that part out either.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Somehow I think that some humans wouldn't not have thought of this idea...I still think monkey's are smarter than us...ever spoke to some people lately..

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
They then traded their newly found freedom for peanuts. GREAT

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Any thread which includes both the words "Monkey" and "Catapult" in the headline is instant thread of the day material in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
No Video, no further proove. Sounds like a fabricated story from some animal lovers

I wonder how bad those animals were locked up when they could so easily escape.

Yeah, because using a tree to catapult yourself is so easy, and doesn't requitre any intelect what-so-ever

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Why have a 17ft high electric fence for monkeys?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
This doesn't surprise me. Animals can be surprisingly intelligent. I once had a cat who learned how to use doorknobs. The home I was living in had worn old skeleton key type door knobs that were easily turned. The cat would climb on the table next to the door and use both front paws to grasp and turn the knob. I had to keep the door locked to keep him from escaping.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
the weird part of this type of story is that some people can't believe it. Why not? If you search youtube there are all kinds of funny videos of animals doing clever and smart escapes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join