It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Huge Part of History is Missing!!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
nice thread and this realy rings true for my highschool education , I loved science , but would have loved it even more if I had been taught about nikola tesla , I would have looked at science in a whole new way if they had him in the text books

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Alienmojo

I don't think you read the post to which I was referring to as your reply is about him teaching about inventors, while his post is about teaching kids to think for themselves.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamwalker74
A Huge Part of Our History is missing

you don't say.

There is a fundamental part of our recent history that has either been overlooked or intentionally ignored. Which I believe in itself has triggered many conspiracy theories.

I tend to think you might be on to something. Forgive me if i haven't read through all this, but i think i might.

S&F,
ET

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamwalker74

FINALLY something recent thats A LIL worth reading. but ya a lil slow.....we all KNO, thats why we're here ;-) lol

MAD PROPS TO
**NIKOLA TESLA
**ED LEEDSKALNIN

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
As a mother with 3 children, 2 in their 20's, one 13, I can tell you that schools don't teach children to learn anymore, they teach them to pass standardized tests. And God help your school district if enough of the children there don't pass the tests. Another reason why these people might not have heard of the inventors mentioned is that both of my older children NEVER got past WWII in their books. Not in all the years they studied history. The classes were 45 minutes long, and by the time the kids got into the classroom, the teacher got everyone settled down and took attendance, 10 minutes would have gone by, and their would only be 30 minutes left to teach. My 13 year old was having a lot of trouble with math and spelling. In December we moved to another city, much larger than ours, and she didn't want to go to the school there because she didn't know anyone. So I enrolled her in an online school where she could work at a slower pace and absorb the material. Her grades went up...she got A's in 4 of her subjects and missed an A in math by one point. She's going to keep going to the online school. And another problem is that so many of the books are politically correct nowadays. The history books my two oldest used would make you think that our country was formed by women and African Americans. I am not saying that they DID NOT contribute, it’s just that so little space was given to the men who were involved that you would have thought there weren’t any. When most schools get money, they put it into building big expensive schools with swimming pools, big football stadiums, and track fields. They would be better off buying good books and putting the money into programs that encourage young people to actually use their brains and learn.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seeking61
As a mother with 3 children, 2 in their 20's, one 13, I can tell you that schools don't teach children to learn anymore, they teach them to pass standardized tests.

WOW You are not kidding. I have three also. 13, 11, and 6. Did you know that this year, my 11 didnt have to learn state capitals? They completely took it out because they didnt have time. 2 months were devoted to learning how to take the Map test. Im serious. They barely covered states at all. It is crazy how much they have taken out that has to deal with the government.

As for why the other stuff isnt taught there are many reasons I believe. Other than lack of time, those things were invented during a crazy time in history when the world was in a technology race and a nuclear race. Everything was hush hush. That and the inventor usually is not allowed to lay claim anymore. The company who employs them does. The inventor gets nothing but a pat on the back from the company.

Last but not least, as I mentioned, that was a crazy time in history. The last thing I think they would want is for kids to ask questions. In Eli Whitney'c case it is taught why he developed it, who he was, how it helped change the world and economy. I dont thing going there with microwaves and microchips is child friendly.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamwalker74
reply to post by earthdude

Leave it to Texas to tell the truth, Roughly how long ago was this? Was it a specific teacher, or was it the norm for this to be taught? I had one Wonderful teacher in the sixth grade, who tried to explain that the Salem witch trials, could have in-fact have been based on ergot poisoning. That is one of the very few things I remember from elementery school. The right teacher can make all the difference.

30 years ago they taught me that the rainforests should be paved over to make way for industrial development. They said the world would have no more oil by the year 2000. We were taught that the Soviet Union wanted to invade and spread communism. Many things have changed.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Bell didn't invent the telephone.

He stole the idea, and rushed to the patent office and filed his patent before the guy who really invented it filed his!

Bell was basically a thief, who was quick on his feet.

I was taught that John Logi Baird invented the television, a Scotts bloke.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Hey OP, I attempted to read all pages got to seven and had to post before too many things to mention slipped my mind.

For everyone that posted, loved the info about the different inventors. Knowing me, it will be all gone when I start working on another software and need that RAM space in my head for operating the new software.
If only I had photographic memory to go along with my love for the absorption of information.

History teacher in high school was one of the most important in my life. Had nothing to do what was in the history class, but his opening lecture the first day. He went over the facts that everything that happens is history. From what you yourself saw today to why the founders decided to not stop slavery at the beginning of the US. But the most important thing he went over was that no matter where you learn history, it all comes from a biased source, even it is your own eyes that saw the history. As they say, 10 people could see the same crime and you would have 10 different descriptions of said crime.

As others have stated, yes, our public system has been set up not to actually teach the ability to think, but the ability to absorb nonsensical rubbish. Social problems being about 50% of the curriculum and the other 50% absorbing supposed facts. Okay, there may be a couple percentage points of actual teaching. Hell, I went to school quite a few years back and if I did not have about 5 different teachers, and of course my family, I would not have learned anything. Family was a vociferous reading bunch. Even back then I could see the direction the schools were taking, it was actually more stewarded toward getting you locked into the mindset of being a good little cog as someone else mentioned.

Okay enough about all that. Now onto the patents and inventors.

I have been told that some of my ideas have made it big. The whole problem is implementation. Sometimes ideas are almost spontaneous in nature. I think I saw a sci fi show about that once. How once we get to a certain point and something like cold fusion is inevitable, sooner or later if it is not found by inspiration, it is found by mistake. Or some such thing.

Necessity or should we call it clumsiness is the mother of invention?

I like to quote one of the heralds of historical relevance when speaking of inventors-Sir Isaac Newton

"If I have seen farther than others it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants"

Only the average inventor does this apply to, or should we say above average mind. The greats like Tesla were absolute giants.

Also, one thing to keep in mind on patents and inventions created in our government bureaucracies, I think someone brought that up, imagine this-the government uses taxpayer money in places like NASA and the MIC and then who do these patents and things go to? I think you will find that not just your historical reference permeates the conspiracy but what has been done with those very patents and the inventors in our history.

Thanks for the OP and everyones comments. It was quite conspiratorial.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Informative post. you are right THERE ARE MANY part of History missing! Such as first animation sequence in Iran 5200 years ago.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
I was taught 30 years ago that the microwave oven, a rarity at the time, was a spinoff from the military. They needed an electric oven for bomber crews and this device used the least amount of electricity. The military had the funds to develop these inventions that nobody was working on.

Correct and I believe the inventors name was Vin Carver or something along those lines...

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
One of the Greatest Master of Minds of Inventions ! that we all just about live by is Alternating Currant and other of his inventions and why isnt he plastered in the American History Books! is it because he was not born American ! ? Even Tho the Majority of his Work was Buit and Made Right Here in America AKA U.S.A. and alot of the First's !

all because of a Goal he had from a dream of Producing Electricity in Niagara Falls ! in which he did ! That Man Died Poor and Broke living in a Shabby Apartment in NYC at the age of 87

His NAME is NIKOLA TESLA

bio below
www.teslasociety.com...

Why isn't Nikola Tesla in our History Books?
answers.yahoo.com...

List of Tesla patents
en.wikipedia.org...

The Complete Patents of Nikola Tesla ( well not so complete except for the Missing documents that was in his Apartment when he died )
www.hbci.com...

Missing Utopia - The End of Wardenclyffe!
www.world-mysteries.com...

[edit on 8-7-2010 by Wolfenz]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by spikey

Bell didn't invent the telephone.

He stole the idea, and rushed to the patent office and filed his patent before the guy who really invented it filed his!

Bell was basically a thief, who was quick on his feet.

I was taught that John Logi Baird invented the television, a Scotts bloke.

Talk about Thieves

yea reminds me of what bill gates (Microsoft) did to the 2 steves jobs and woz (Apple)

you know Apple xexox/Lisa/Mac = Windows 1.1

Pirates of Silicon Valley-Microsoft steals from Apple skip to the 3.10 Mark

unix/NextStep/Apple os-x = Vista/windows7

Apple WWDC 2006-Windows Vista Copies Mac OS X

Steve Jobs talks about Microsoft & their lack on being original. From the year 1996. watch then look at the video above again !

remember Microsoft didn't even have their own OS it was taken Away from the Seattle Computer Company and was played around with because they bought the rights ! ya you can say that Microsoft had no imagination or taste! from the start The only good thing that bill gates was good at was being a convincing manipulator towards the big company's to sell his software..

MS Dos history
inventors.about.com...

but it all started with GUI from Xerox Alto that Apple was given permission to use the designs of Alto !

Should Apple & Microsoft be in our School text Books i would say so or maybe Xerox Alto Star!

or How about Doug Englebert ! Pioneer of the Mouse , GUI , Networks and Vocal response and the Mother Of all Demos ! in 1968 !
The Mother of all demos
en.wikipedia.org...

The Englebert Demo in 1968 ( Amazing ! )

Source of the video in case you want to see it! Remember this is 1968!
www.dougengelbart.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Some of the inventors are actually disputed.
Check out Philo Fanrnsworth - inventor of th TV

More important question:
Who invented the video game..

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackProjects
Some of the inventors are actually disputed.
Check out Philo Fanrnsworth - inventor of th TV

More important question:
Who invented the video game..
Willy Higinbotham, 1958, Brookhaven National Laboratories, it was similar to Atari's Pong, which debuted in 1971.

Link:

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
While I agree with you as someone who enjoys learning often obscure and useless knowledge, so much of what Official History is about is marking the turning points where the invention of something revolutionizes how we all live.

For instance yes the Cotton Gin was the start of the Industrial Revolution, so it's a turning point that fundamentally changed life.

The telephone allowing people to communicate real time over great swaths of terrain was another turning point that fundamentally changed life and how people did business.

Yet the truth is that no, the microwave didn't really result in a turning point that was as revolutionary. Yes you can now bake a potato quicker by exposing it to harmful radiation and cooking it from the inside out, instead of the outside in.

The Radio and TV were just extensions of the Telephone.

If the purpose of school was to teach us everything there is to know, well school would never be out.

Which is why it's incumbent upon us as individuals to carry on with the learning process, to learn what we place a value on learning.

The system is only interested in educating people to the point of functional illiteracy which makes for a pliable and easily manageable population.

There are in fact huge chunks of our history that are glossed over and misrepresented for political and religious purposes but who invented the microwave is not one of them.

That information is out there, and I think it serves us all to keep learning on our own, every day throughout our lives those things and topics that interest us.

Clearly there is a real need as well as benefit to do that and in doing that.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
BY the same token what about the makers of modern farming, inventors of personal computers, automotive invention, desingers like Buckminster Fuller, Linus Pauling, etc.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

I don't know exactly what is wrong with the educational system in the US but there is no doubt that it is failing.

Complete lack of accountability with teachers and administration, complete lack of consequences for teachers AND students. Everyone is special. Everyone passes. Everyone is a winner. Can't be discriminating against the stupid kids - that would be wrong and the schools would be paying the cockroach tort lawyers that sue everyone for everything.

That's just for starters.

Edit for dum speling misteak.

[edit on 8-7-2010 by AwakeinNM]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Did you find maths boring at school and wonder why the higher school levels were pointless? I think most folk. Not just in the USA.

I think context provides interest.

If you teach someone how and why calculus is useful, and what can be used after learning it, then there will be more interest.

Most people are just told what it is, and how to do it, and pass tests.

I'm not just meaning calculus, but most things. Kids don't know what the point of what their teaching is.

Oh, and the US teaching methods are... Well, I won't comment on that.

You can't tell someone to be interested in something without context and reason. But with context and reason, curiosity has more chance of keeping an interest, and keeping kids minds thinking about the problems, for a large part.

I think history is (for younger folk) less important than teaching WHY they should be learning X, and HOW they should be using X, and WHAT PURPOSE X can is useful for.

If you just tell people to learn something, they won't care. They need to know the applications for the use. Most education systems in the 'Western' world have forgotten about that.

Important learning goes from one ear and out the other. Because they don't know why they're being taught it in the first place and how it fits in, and how it can spur curiosity. If people are taught WHY they should be learning something, then they might keep an active interest.

This is not currently the case. I had maths shoved down my throat in school, but was given no reason as to why it is useful.

If someone in school is taught about sport, then the application is obvious. Not the case with most other subjects.

Maths is just an easy way to itterate my point. It applies to almost all subjects. How can someone learning be curious if they have no idea what they're actually learning in the first place?

Or perhaps English studies... It was mentioned that there are a pitiful amount of higher grade students that are illiterate or near so. They simply don't know WHY they should bother learning it.

Right now, because of my education, I finally have a vast grasp on mathematics, but only because after school I understood the importance and applications which I was never taught before. Without that, it's just another test to cram in to pass and get to the next grade.

History is good. But names? What's the point? In a way, it could be seen as just mere patriotism. If someone is taught that say, a certain type of mathematics was a key point in inventing the television, then that will lead them further.

The education problem is leaving curiosity out of the mind, and knowing exact dates and persons names. If they are curious, they will find out who invented what. If it's drilled into them, then they probably won't care five years later.

[edit on 8-7-2010 by booblessed]

[edit on 8-7-2010 by booblessed]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Whoa interesting, Some ideas they say travel backwards in time.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join