It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Huge Part of History is Missing!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
You don't learn "history" at school. Anyway many inventions not made by Americans,but from immigrant . (That you hate so much now.) Dont be fueled by that everything made or invented by Americans.

I wonder how many people knows these names: Just to mention some from hundreds of XX century most amazing inventions.

The Apollo Moon-rover was developed under the direction of Ferenc Pavlics (69), while the Mars Pathfinder's remote control system is linked to Antal Bejczy (66), who
also works with Paul Greguss (76), Budapest Technical University
professor, whose special, 360-degree PAL optics will be on board a new
space instrument scheduled to land on a comet.
One of the forerunners of present-day space mathematics was Janos
Bolyai (1802-1860), who in his work "Appendix" (1832) went beyond
Euclidean geometry valid for Earth only, and outlined hyperbolic geometry.
Practical Hungarian space research contributions began with Zoltan Bay
(1900-1992), who received an echo from the Moon with an experimental
radar installation in 1946. To achieve this, he and his associates
worked out a new sign-summarizing method to filter out background noise.
Apart from radar astronomy, the Hungarian Janos Neumann
(1903-1957) laid the foundations for the space research boom with his
computers. Todor Karman (1881-1963) excelled with his organizational
and designing work in the early days of the U.S. National Space Agency
(NASA). Karman founded Jet Propulsion Laboratory, a famous space
engineering center in Pasadena, California.
Hungarians have worked out several instruments currently used by
American space research. Pal Greguss applied holography in space
research, creating the PAL optics, which will be on board the next Mars
probe scheduled for launch in 2001, and on the comet-research probe.

Eugene Wigner was one of a group of four brilliant Hungarian physicists who emigrated to the United States before World War II. The others were Leo Szilard, John von Neumann and Edward Teller. All except von Neumann played important roles in the U.S. atomic bomb project.

Anyway if you got any interest you can read about this more here:
www.americanhungarianfederation.org...

You would be surprise how many you know as well known American.
About Sport,Film and Military.

"This list is far from inclusive, but exemplifies, along with the other sections, the Hungarian Genius! The Atomic Bomb, Model T, Matches, Television, Hollywood Movies, modern Computers and Binary, Supersonic Flight, the Telephone Exchange, the Carburetor, the Zeppelin, the Automatic Gearbox, the Moon Rover, and the Intel Corporation, all owe their existence to Hungarians!

According to the Associated Press, (AP-NY-10-26-96 1604EDT) people with some claim to Hungarian ancestry have been nominated for Oscars 136 times since 1929, when the first ones were handed out, and have taken home 30 of the golden statuettes. There's an old joke from the '30s about a sign on a movie studio wall reading "It's not enough to be Hungarian. You have to have talent." The joke refers to how a relatively small country had such an impact on the history of the movies. Another sign above MGM's commissary wrote: "Just because you're Hungarian, doesn't mean you're a genius!"

Enjoy

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
History is wrting by the stronguest.

So if somebody invented/finded something)(great or not), then it`s was refined by some bigger scientist or compagny. History get's diluded.

I think this happend to Tesla.

Is it still happening today? I think so. But on much higher level of education ( physic, math ...etc).

I mean vanity is good markething

S&F

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamwalker74
reply to post by SLAYER69

Follow up. If the small group, or for that matter the individual caveman, who had learned to create fire, kept this secret from the rest of the group to maintain power. What would this mean for our own timeline? How far back would we actually be? The dark ages? far before that? Would we even be communicating in this form of media? Something needs to be done. But what?

You have to reverse the domination of the individual by the Corporation. What would happen if Godman Sachs owned the patent on fire. Everyone would have to pay Godman Sachs if they wanted to use fire and the individual who discovered it would be lost to history.
Today all inventions of any value are controlled by corporations who have thousands of employees who make thousands of discoveries every day but they get little or no recognition because they sign away all their rights to claim ownership of what they do to the corporation as a condition of employment.
Those who don't, Tesla, Royal Rife, Stanley Meyers, are marginalized or destroyed. If their inventions threaten the powers that be in any way they are stolen or buried.
You know who Tesla is, Google Royal Raymond Rife and Stan Meyers. Read what they did and what happened to them and you will understand.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Inventor of the microchip: Geoffrey W.A. Dummer - way dummer ...

Is this a joke ?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Only three question: As a modern day educator, how much freedom do you actually have to teach? Secondly, how much do you stretch those boundries for the sake of the children you do educate? Third, what would you change?

That's a great series of questions and I'll try and hit them in order Dreamwalker74:

1) I have quite a bit of freedom to organize the material and approach to a class both at California state universities and at community colleges I also teach at. We have a course outline we're given to read and it stipulates the kinds of things that someone thought it was important to get in, and most of them give pretty good direction. The texts are up each individual professor, as are the lectures as long as the hit the high points of the course outline. We are evaluated by the department heads once a year or two, depending on the school but they have to schedule when they come so we can craft or rearrange around that, and otherwise the classroom is left to us.

2) Since I'm only teaching at post-secondary level, I don't pull many punches. These "children" (and I sometimes do call them kids) are young adults and can handle pretty sophisticated or controversial material for the most part. I stretch boundaries quite a bit, for instance including lectures on
Sundown Towns and Eugenics, neither of which get more than a couple of lines if any in textbooks. Or last semester threw away my syllabus schedule to insert a couple of days (as it turned out by their popular demand) to run a fifteen minute video by a man named P.W. Singer on he emergence of robotics in war (drones/underwater and ground vehicles) which turned into two days of discussion branching into genetic research/designer babies, etc. Since philosophy is the parent discipline of history (historically speaking
I often bring ethics into issues.

Next semester we're going to start with Oil disaster in the Gulf and kind of keep that as a theme to check in on throughout the semester. I'll probably include lectures on the rise of the oil industry a little later down the road, for instance and tech stuff will be part of that. So political issues come into all of these, but I am crystal clear when what I'm presenting is laden with my opinions. I start a class every time with the idea of "magister dixit" from Schopenauer and epistemology: how do we know what we know? Schopenauer in a kind of how to for "experts" laid out how manipulate people and seize discursive authority through the idea of magister dixit - rough translation: "because the teacher says so." I usually then write that out on the board inside a circle and draw a slash through it after I give the definition. No "magister dixit" allowed, you have to make the final judgment on every thing I tell you and I try to provide them with other internet or print materials that might give a different perspective.

3) I challenge the idea whether it's first half or second half of US history that any text, any teacher is or can give you narrative or "truth" that can't be challenged, that wont' eventually change, or that can encompass a comprehensive way to characterize a history. I challenge the boundaries of who gets left out by bringing them front a center: working class history, for instance, or the depth of racism and elitism in American society during the eugenics era and the question of whether or not we are on the verge of a renaissance in Eugenic thought in America, human experimentation and the CIA and how big (and it's monumentally huge) a role that played in shaping main stream social science though from psychology to sociology to anthropology since World War II; why, for instance has so behavioralism come to dominate psychology in the way it has since the 50s - the work of Skinner, Gittinger, Ofshe (social psychology), Orne, Carl Rogers, John Lilly, etc. were all done substantially on CIA conracts under MkUltra projects; Margaret Mead and Ruth Benedict's work both coincided with OSS or OWR contracts during WWII, Talcott Parsons worked on CIA contracts in sociology, Reischauer in history, etc. So I constantly raise the point of how do we know what we know, but also why do we think we know it?

Research starts with a hypothesis and hypotheses are developed before a contract to get a grant, so what questions are asked are dominant in who funds the contract and whoever funds the contract, in that sense at least, has a great deal to do with knowledge is gained, what the answers are. So all of these names show up on textbooks even today and their research in one way or the other was done to promote the projection of power over individuals and groups in a number of way -control being foremost in most work. Yet now the theories developed out of them are applied to clinical therapy, school behavioral psychology, etc. Did that then affect the whole framework of what we know encounter as sort of everyday "truths" about human nature?

I want to challenge students to think about the knowledge they obtain from us as professors, the way that knowledge was gathered and theorized, and for what purposes . . . and might it look different; might our whole view of the world look different if that knowledge was not gathered in the time and place it was?

Ok, so I'm longwinded, but that if anything should establish my credentials as a professor! Hope that answers it!

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Personally, I'm glad they don't teach much of this in school because they usually get it wrong. And the Patent office won't help. Alexander Graham Bell did not invent the telephone, it was Elijah something or other (his name isn't on the patent, so it's forgotten). Apparently Bell stole all of his research. Bell just got to the patent office a few hours ahead of Elijah and that's why he's credited with the phone's invention.

Same for the radio; schools still teach that Marconi invented the thing while in reality it was invented a dozen years earlier by Tesla who already held a patent for it (several years after obtaining and selling the patent, a court removed Marconi's name and reatributed it to Tesla. This was in the 1950's, yet they still teach that Marconi invented the thing).

In school you still learn the ridiculous notion that people once thought the Earth was flat. Nobody ever believed the Earth to be flat before the arrival of the flatearth society.

The historical fact that Columbus showed the world to be round was invented by Irving Washington (author of, among many others, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow) in his completely invented biography of Columbus. He also completely reinvented the lives of many American figures such as George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. His intent was to ignore the facts and turn these people into heroes.

The myth of the renaissance is still taught, as is the black plague and many other things.

Schools base all their teachings on such lunacies and that's why people come out of them often much dumber than when they went in. They're objective is not to make people smart, but to teach them what a specific group of people (insert whatever name pleases you here, be it real or not; I personally believe that it's the corporation so they can sell us more crap) wishes the majority of people to know, or, more importantly, how they should think.

My point is that the more schools teach, the less you learn. At least in the Western world. Say what you will about Cuba and the former Soviet Union, people learned a lot of things in schools and learned a lot more (it's obvious when you speak to them, by what they say and how they think). But then again, they also had their own load of propaganda.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I think the reason schools don't teach about famous inventors is because most usefull things have been invented by Scots and so it would become very boring for the kids to keep hearing about Scottish inventors all the time.

Television
Telephone
Tarmac roads
Pennicillan
Banking
Golf
Kelvin scale ... aka temperature
Microwave ovens
Paraffin
Radar
Refridgerator
Steam engine

These are just a few of the things invented by Scotsmen not to mention the most important of all ... Whisky.

Wikipedia might say different, but even encylopedias were invented by a Scotsman ..... so there

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
the egyptians were the first one making electricity and a micro chip actually.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
...Just to mention some of them.

Adolph Zukor - "Mr. Motion Pictures" Producer and Founder of the Paramount Pictures Empire and Loew's Theatres. Produced the first full-length motion picture

Joseph Pulitzer - Publisher: Responsible for building of the Statue of Liberty

Andrew Vajna - Producer, Hollywood Legend

William Fox - Founder of Fox Studios!

Gene Simmons of KISS Legendary Rock-n-Roller!

Paul Newman - Eight Oscar Nominations!

Harry Houdini - The "Greatest Magician on Earth

Gábor Csupó - Co-founder of Klasky-Csupo, one of the world's leading independent animation studios, Founder of Tone Casualties, Musician. 5 EMMYS and 2 CABLE ACE Awards - produced Rugrats and the Simpsons

George Pál - Cartoonist - Winner of SIX Oscars, and pioneer of stop-action animation!
developed methods of integrating animated special effects with live action.

Joe (Joszef) Eszterhás - Prolific Screenwriter (Basic Instinct, Sliver, Flashdance) "Highest-paid writer in Hollywood"

Charles Simonyi - Billionaire Computer Scientist and Chief Architect, Microsoft Corporation Father of WYSIWYG and Hungarian Notation
Business Tycoon, Aircraft Leasing Pioneer, and GREAT Philanthropist - Father of the Smithsonian's Udvar-Hazy Center. ILFC owns nearly 400 aircraft valued at more than $17 billion.

Col. Ágoston Haraszthy - "Father of California Wine Culture!" - Ronald Reagan.

Estée Lauder - Cosmetic Queen! Founder of the current world cosmetics leader!

Charles Gati- Political Scientist, Author, Foreign Policy Advisor, Professor

John Kemény - Mathematician, President of Dartmouth, Leader and innovator in mathematics education, and "Father of Microcomputing": Developed BASIC computer language. Manhattan Project Mathematician at 17!

Dennis Gábor - Nobel Prize in 1971 for his investigation and development of holography.

Tivadar Puskás - inventor, Telephone Pioneer / Thomas Edison's Colleague - Devised the idea of using telephone exchanges between subscribers, invented the switchboard and built Europe's first telephone exchange. Inventor of the Telephonograph (forerunner to radio) and Telephone News

Peter Carl Goldmark -Engineer, CBS Chief Scientist - Invented the Color Television, 33 1/3 LP Record, and the Electronic Video Recorder! National Medal of Science

Kálmán Kandó - Inventor/Engineer - Discovered triple phase high tension current for electric locomotion and industrial applications. He is the Father of Modern Electric Trains!

Ottó Bláthy - Father of the electric transformer, the tension regulator, the watt meter, the alternating current motor, the turbogenerator and high efficiency turbogenerator.

Miksa Déri - Developed A/C electric generator

Károly Zipernowsky - A/C electronics pioneer! Founder of heavy-current electrical engineering

Donát Bánki / János Csonka - Engineers: Invented the carburetor and dual evaporation

In 1898 he invented the high compression Bánki-engine with a dual-carburettor (for evaporating fuel and water). This engine won an award at the 1900 World Exhibition in Paris. Dual evaporation has been in use ever since.

Jenö Fejes Engineer, Inventor - first in the world who submitted patents for manufacturing automobile parts by cold-forming, pressing, torch or spot-welding.

József László Bíró - Inventor - Developed the Ballpoint Pen AND the Automatic Gearbox for Automobiles.

Paul Selényi - Physicist and Father of Electrostatics / Photoconductivity Pioneer - first to record images with an electrostatic marking process: the foundation of Carlson's Xerography!

Béla Barényi - Engineer, Auto Safety Pioneer - Father of the Volkswagen Beetle, Passive Safety, Occupant Safety Cell, Collapsible Steering System, AND the Seat Belt!
From 1939 to 1974 he worked for Daimler-Benz, heading the strategic planning department for a significant period. Several of his inventions were decades ahead of their time. Passive safety was one of these ideas. Out of his 2500 inventions for the automobile industry, divi

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ajmusicmedia

I actually fully agree with you ajmusicmedia; I think we should be teaching kids TO think and giving them the tools for how they can best go about that. If someone comes out of a class of mine completely rejecting that takes I give on history and can put together on a good, source backed essay on it, it's a victory.
I don't think there's a professor out there who wouldn't like students to think LIKE they think ideally, but I know many who are very happy they could get students TO think and think for themselves by gathering together a number sources and opinions on a given subject.

Stories about scientists and inventors can be interesting and fun to hear as well as useful, but the details - if the details are put at the top of the priority list become just for tests. A kind of high stakes trivia. People can always look up the details, what they need is a desire to do so and to connect them to relevance in their lives.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostpigeon

Are you telling me, they have actually allowed you to do a course on Eugenics and you have not been shut down or fired? Ok, at this point I am a true fan and also one who who would like to be in one of your courses. I will keep track of your future posts and replies. As of now you are my hero!

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
great stuff........

yet, surely there is a better source for such information than wiki anything......

eh????

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Archirvion

Actually I think from my research the Sumerians were producing low levels of electricity before the egyptions. I would need some pretty serious proof as far as the microchip claim.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

I think the reason schools don't teach about famous inventors is because most usefull things have been invented by Scots and so it would become very boring for the kids to keep hearing about Scottish inventors all the time.

Television
Telephone
Tarmac roads
Pennicillan
Banking
Golf
Kelvin scale ... aka temperature
Microwave ovens
Paraffin
Radar
Refridgerator
Steam engine

These are just a few of the things invented by Scotsmen not to mention the most important of all ... Whisky.

That was the best reply I've read all day. Bottoms up brother.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

Banking ?

I don't think so. Or is it some kind of Scottish tradition ?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Thank you Phage! You know what I mean.
-Dreamwalker74

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamwalker74

When have you ever needed this knowledge? Does it really matter if the masses possess this information? The problem with public schooling is children are expected to parrot useless information. What we have now is a population that lacks the ability to critically think and reason.

Ideally you would teach critical thinking, reasoning, language arts, science, mathematics, economics and finally history so that they may eliminate the bs from history. If children were taught in this manner, how many do you think would jump on board the civil war was fought over slavery nonsense or the Iraq invasion is based on WMDs?

How about teaching history and names of those who misled the population and how they did / do it?

This is what we need

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
You can't really say that Nipkow invented television. His system had nothing to do with modern television.
[edit on 7/7/2010 by Phage]

No microwaves!
I clearly remember getting our first television. I waited up for my Father to get home from work with it. Took an hour to get a picture off the rabbit ears and the first thing I watched is the original Frankenstein in B & W. If that dates me.

On the TV thing. The first real TV was Philo T. Farnsworth. He was 17 when he first drew the plans for a Pitcure Tube and the Tube for the first Video Camera. He learned from magazines in the Attic of the house his parents moved into in the Rigby, Idaho area. I'm related and he was working at BYU when I was young. I lived very near there.

A stooge from RCA who the Historians gave credit to for the invention, visited him in his first business in California at age 19, stole the plans and RCA stole it. Phil's family spent nearly a million dollars on attorneys and law suits to force the Textbook companies to stop lying. They won, just as Philo won against RCA in court. The only person ever to do so against the old RCA behemoth. Now the Textbook companies no longer bother with it and we have found recent ones who defied the court order. I'll never understand why. It could be because a popular president was involved, or not.

You see the US government was kind enough to take over Philo's factory, where he made the first televisions, not pirated by RCA, Radios and Record players. They did it to produce tubes for Radar for the war. When the war ended, instead of extending his patent like they did for everyone else, they expired his and he ended up a brilliant pauper working in a lab at BYU. RCA and the cronies in the Government who profited will not admit it even now, even though they know it was proven in court and Philo won.

Sorry to bore you, but true story all the same.

Watch the Antique stores and you will see a Farnsworth now and then. His first broadcast was of a dollar sign written on a piece of paper he showed to investors in L.A. on a two inch CRT. It was broadcast from the next room. It was his full sales pitch and the bankers immediately set him up with a factory. The loser from RCA comes in steals it, takes credit for the invention he made two years earlier at 17 and then destroyed him with the help of a very crooked President and Government.

What Wiki has to say and its a good short version.

Philo Taylor Farnsworth (August 19, 1906 – March 11, 1971) was an American inventor and television pioneer. Although he made many contributions that were crucial to the early development of all-electronic television, he is perhaps best known for inventing the first fully-functional all-electronic image pickup device (video camera tube), the "image dissector", the first fully-functional and complete all-electronic television system, and for being the first person to demonstrate such a system to the public.[2][3]

In later life, Farnsworth invented a small nuclear fusion device, the Farnsworth–Hirsch Fusor, or simply "fusor", employing inertial electrostatic confinement(IEC). Although not a practical device for generating nuclear energy, the fusor serves as a viable source of neutrons.

One of these days when I'm feeling expansive, I'll do a thread with information only known to family and the secret he took to his grave out of hatred and distrust of our corrupt government. The "Fusor" was not the end of the story. Lets just say, he took one of the greatest inventions to his grave to spite Uncle Sam for destroying him and his work.

One of my regrets of my youth is that I did not really get to know him and he was just a few miles away.

[edit on 7/7/2010 by Blaine91555]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

More on topic here. The danger I see is in the revisionist history we are seeing. If we don't teach the mistakes of our past, we are doomed to repeat them is a true saying in my mind.

Young people now have no idea the real sacrifices made in WW1 and WW2 by Americans. We got it first hand from the horses mouth so to speak. My Father was a walking History Book of everything from the Great Depression, working in the coal mines and watching his buddies killed by Strike Breakers when they formed a Union to sitting with him and watching his face as we watched the First Man set foot on the Moon. For him it was epic having grown up on horseback on a Ranch in the middle of nowhere.

My mother built roads with picks and shovels for Union Pacific Railroad, only to be thrown away when the Men returned and later cheated out of her retirement over the phony plan where they were tricked into paying double into Social Security.

My Father, a hard core Union man, never knew after his death that his Union had lied to him about his Insurance and Death Benefits. He died on the job, worked himself to death and they gave us a coffee can they passed around the Union Hall. They said the benefits did not apply because his thirty years of paying in was not enough. He died believing his beloved Union would take care of us. They threw us away.

Our young people need to know these things. Look what we see now. Kids in Che T-Shirts. Kids who think the Holocaust was a lie. Kids who don't know that the Progressive Policies are what caused the Great Depression to last for so long. They need to know these things to survive the future. Another generation and the schools will have completely rewritten history to match their bizzare political beliefs. There will be another Hitler, another Stalin, another Mao because the knowledge to defend against them will be lost in the History Books they are quietly destroying as we speak.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

I agree that the educational system is abysmal (in the US). But I don't think it has anything to do with an active plan to hide the information you're talking about. You see, in most cases, students aren't going to encounter these people unless they have enough curiosity of their own to find out about it. And as you have demonstrated, it's pretty easy to find out who "invented" television, integrated circuits, and microwave ovens. But what about postit notes? There are thousands (millions) of things that affect our daily lives, should every single inventor of each thing be taught?

I have to disagree with your second statement up there.

When I was in school everyone worshiped the all-mighty Edison with a dash of Marconi. Tesla wasn't even a footnote in any of my texts that I can recall.

It wasn't until many years after I "graduated" high "school" that I even heard of this Tesla guy.

Conspiracy or not, it is evident that the history I was exposed to in public schools was whitewashed in Edison's favor. I guess it's prolly due to Tesla being a scary, mad scientist. I had to learn about Tesla's colossal contributions to modern life on my own - outside of school.

This is why whether or not Assange is a grifter or the real deal, his words will resonate with me regardless when he says what he does is for the integrity of public records.

If we don't know where we've been (because history is omitted or distorted) how can we know where we're going?

Man, I sure can get diatribe-ey at times..I'll work on that.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by guavas]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join