It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Huge Part of History is Missing!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Are any of you parents out there, when your kids come home from school, asking the age old question "what did you learn in school today?"? Are you seriously listening to their replies, and judging their education based upon their answers? Just curious. I know this is far harder a task with a teenager, but still, find a way to ask. Have intelligent conversations with your teenagers. Talk about world events, and listen to their feedback. Try to plan daily to have a world based topic in mind that they won't consider confrontaional. We need, as individuals, to figure out where society is lacking as far as the education of our children, and make up for it ourselves.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamwalker74

Texas education system and the teacher was telling us about military spinoff technology. He made it sound as if the microwave would never have existed without the military pumping money into research. In many cases this is true. If I ever need a dolphin to plant an explosive device, the military has the info.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

Leave it to Texas to tell the truth, Roughly how long ago was this? Was it a specific teacher, or was it the norm for this to be taught? I had one Wonderful teacher in the sixth grade, who tried to explain that the Salem witch trials, could have in-fact have been based on ergot poisoning. That is one of the very few things I remember from elementery school. The right teacher can make all the difference.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
A lot of modern inventions inventions are not the work of just one man, but are the result of teamwork. Scientists who team up, businesses that have a whole department working on new ideas and stuff...
The funding is almost always coming from a company, institute or government. New inventions are property of those who payed for them.

Unless someone discovers a way of free energy in his basement and patent it before others smell a new way to make profit, that name will be added in time

Take the CD for example. The CD is invented by a Dutch guy under contract for Philips.
Philips sold the whole concept to Sony and Sony got loaded when they introduced it to the public.

The Dutch guy is never given credit.

It is funny that we were talking about the quality and how long would it last. It seems the CD is not gonna last long enough to answer that question.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

The fact that the inventor is never mentioned solidifies my point. These people who have not only changed our lives, but our history, deserve to not only be recognized but commended. These are the people who should be in-charge of our education. Not the huge corporations who not only control them, but us as well through our polititians. The corporations are in charge of our educational process, because they are in control of our government.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
"What I cannot create, I do not understand."

-Richard Feynman

There are kits out there for curious people to build on their own things like digital circuits. There is no learning like hands-on learning.

I agree that it's a shame people just aren't interested in how anything around them works. I still remember the day when, after several years in a computer engineering curriculum, it finally "clicked" with me. All the random information I absorbed from my various classes came together and I finally realized I knew how a computer works, and could build one myself if I had the resources.

We should not shun practical learning. Intuition and spirituality are important, but will lead you astray if you aren't also grounded in practical reality. When contemplating the spirit, it helps if you first know definitively, in a hands-on way, what's not magic and is in fact just a machine.

Never stop learning.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Perhaps they don't teach who invented modern inventions because it can become complicated very quickly. Where do you start, with the person who was the foreruner or the person who perfects the idea or the person who is the first to patent the idea.

For ref. in the UK we were taught that John Logie Baird was the inventor of television.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by keldas

What is television actually ?
Is it not a a product that came from another huge invention. Like the camera and film.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by keldas

Baird did indeed invent a television system, but it used a mechanical scanning system. Two Americans, Zworkin and Farnsworth invented electrical scanning devices a short time later.

Bairds device was ingenious, but impractical.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
reply to post by keldas

What is television actually ?
Is it not a a product that came from another huge invention. Like the camera and film.
It came from radio.

The device needed to be invented that converted light from a scene into radio waves and back again.

Movies came from the camera and film.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
The school system teaches you the basics, it's up to the parents to take it further. I take my daughter to the library, have her pick out a subject that interest her and study it for a month. This works great for us. Take education into your own hands.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamwalker74

But they are mentioned. You can read in every article on a new discovered breakthrough, all the names of those responsible. There is however not a singe product that does not consists from several technologies, which are mixed or embedded to perform a new trick.

I can imagine a lesson would be like,

Teacher: Who invented the microchip ?
Student:
Bill gates.

Teacher: No, that is incorrect. The microchip was invented by these people. [ List of countless names ] I'd like you to study them and you can expect a test next Monday.
Don't fail it, this one counts as a final.

Student:

PS.
The role play was how I would think this would take place. It was not meant to offend or ridicule.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Ok

So what did they broadcast back then. A radio show ? Or shows that were filmed by a camera. Without film and camera, there would not be a need to show it on tv.

Or am I missing the point here.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Ohw I thought you were talking about history...
Not recent history... my bad...

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Movies use film and a camera, but television 'cameras' scan a scene and convert the light input into a modulated radio frequency signal that is received by the TV set, which converts the signal back to a picture in the tube by means of a 'gun' that shoots electrons at the screen, which is the inside of the tube.

Sorry, I am old, so I explained it with a picture tube, which aren't found in TV sets any more.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Very weird. I have thought about this before. The microchip in particular. I can easily say more microchips have been made, and microchips were a more revolutionary step than the cotton gin that we still teach youngsters about.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
+1
I remember asking my teacher who invented tv and she said no one person invented it, it was several devices combined. same wi the pc; I don't think one person invented computers.

(star)

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
A lot of modern inventions inventions are not the work of just one man, but are the result of teamwork. Scientists who team up, businesses that have a whole department working on new ideas and stuff...
The funding is almost always coming from a company, institute or government. New inventions are property of those who payed for them.

Unless someone discovers a way of free energy in his basement and patent it before others smell a new way to make profit, that name will be added in time

Take the CD for example. The CD is invented by a Dutch guy under contract for Philips.
Philips sold the whole concept to Sony and Sony got loaded when they introduced it to the public.

The Dutch guy is never given credit.

It is funny that we were talking about the quality and how long would it last. It seems the CD is not gonna last long enough to answer that question.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Cool

I never new the difference. I just never thought about it.

I still one a tube. Does that mean I'm old to ?

The new and newer and newest generations of tv are a whole new technology all together.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Quite frankly, I think that is exactly how the class curriculum should go. As forementioned by several people, our children are not pushed to the point they should be, and that in fact is why we have illiterate students in the 11th 12th grade, and for that matter even graduating in the U.S. In order to remain a leader in the world, the US has to take education far more seriously than ever before. Our kids don't work, at least most don't through 9th grade. Therefore I reccomend that the average school day be 9 hours long. You have to keep in mind the half hour lunch and the time for recess. I reccommend that the curriculum start out tough, and get exponentially harder every year. I believe in standardized testing nation wide. If even a few students can pass the new harder tests, then we blame it on the teachers of the others. I know the Teacher Unions would be up in arms over this idea. Too bad. They have failed in the past and continue to fail. The continuation of our country, and the ability of our future adults, is absolutely imperative, where it comes to our continued existense.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
i stumbled in this post by accident.

technology trees and their founders are taught in school depending on the curriculum the student wants to specialize in.the american school system is not a failure but is very successful; education being a measure of economic output is not a good yard.because of this "stick" valuable information and data is cheap to an american student; and the value of knowledge is lessened.education is also not a series of repetitions, as how such is viewed in eastern cultures.the ability to create classes within the mind that holds data and your ability to express this data as information is a talent not an expression of knowledge from self(personal opinion).

what i thought this post was and what i read is not the same.

the difference in you using math based on zero or ascending numerals is quite vast; such is the perception that you are dumb because you are an asylums junior in pay because of socioeconomic reasons.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join