It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunlight does NOT cause skin cancer!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Level

WOW...This thread is an embarrassment to ATS. I started reading responses expecting people to be talking some sense into the OP but most of you support it based on some kind of special relationship with the sun and mother nature and back it up with absolutely nothing. I hate big business also but you can't blame them for everything because it feels right.

Aboriganis and people back in the day that were always in the sun didn't get skin cancer because they didn't live long enough to develope it. Most people don't develope it until after 60.

Dark skinned people don't get skin cancer as often and also don't burn like white people. Don't burn = less damage = less skin cancer. I know there's a good scientific reason but I don't feel like looking it up. Try google before making such rediculous claims such as it must be the healthy natural food they eat.

I didn't realize there was this many uneducated hippies on this site. OK, I'm done...I don't think I could sleep tonight without saying something. And I never post on here...

Well maybe you should continue not to post. Did it ever occur to you that maybe your opinion is in the minority on this one. Opinions are always welcome but c'mon...didn't live long enough to develop skin cancer??? May friend has had skin cancer and he's 20...he is also not a healthy guy AT ALL. Look around, put 2 and 2 together and you'll see the OP has merit.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ReeVeeR

All I can say about this is...feel free to hang out in the sun with or without sunscreen all you want, but I prefer being pale.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Please, PLEASE stop posting or referring to Quackwatch. They have been shown again and again to be corporate shills, attacking any and everything that competes with conventional western medicine. The guy was even outed in court by a judge for taking money from the pharma industry to attack natural medicine. He has been found guilty many times in court of libel, slander, fraud and harrasment. Quackwatch is just a front for the pharma and AMA's war on all non pharma medicine, and not a suitable source for any argument. Look it up, its history is all easily found through a little research. Its kinda like going to bush to ask why we need war in iraq.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I can't watch the video for some reason. But I still have to disagree with the statement that sunlight doesn't cause skin cancer. UV does damage our DNA and this damage can cause cancer.

[edit on 8/7/2010 by DGFenrir]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Wow! this video is great! I'm a surfer and use sunscreen lotion in a regular basis. Some time ago I thought that maybe those lotions weren't any good in the long run.

How long is it going to take to really be a generation of humans more concerned with the common good (the real one) for every one of us, instead of filling their own pockets with money in the expense of others? I guess in the new era of peace prophesied by so many

Peace & Good

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
When did the "UV index" first come out?

Probably when the Atmosphere was damaged? Ozone layer, perhaps?

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by beckybecky
reply to post by snowspirit

Could someone please,please tell me why NAKED BLACK AFRICANS don't get cancer in Africa after staying in sunshine for most of the day...

These tribes wonder about all day out in the sun ,they have no homes,no tv ,internet ,no money or sunscreen yet why are they not all dead from skin cancer.

Why?

My guess would be no preservatives in their diets, less stress from outside sources, less electromagnetic rays, no microwaves. Depending on where they live of course. If they aren't around pollution in the air, water, or food......

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
SLIP SLOP SLAP

www.youtube.com...#!v=gAu5wCTEBt0&feature=related

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
So much stress, so much arguing.

Known or probable/possible causes of cancer of different types are:

Pollution
Xrays, gamma rays, other rays....
Electric power lines, cell phone towers...
Poor diet, food chemicals, nitrates and some other processing methods
Chemicals in water
Pesticides, herbacides
Genetically Modified Foods
Over charring food on barbecue, burning in oven, over frying...
Chemicals in lotions, cosmetics.....
Toooooo much sun (burning)
Alcohol
Smoking
STRESS

There is a lot of reasons to end up with cancer from one source or another, the best we can do is to at the very least, eat natural foods, you know, no chemical additives if possible, no aspartame.
Eat lots of fruits, lots of lightly cooked (if at all) vegetables, tomato paste included in diet (lycopene), unprocessed meats (sorry, bacon bad), whole grains, nuts, seeds. No GMO foods. Processed sugar will also FEED cancer. Get Vitamin D levels optimum whether with some sun or a pill.

If a jogger/runner, don't run next to a polluted highway, or in a smog filled city. Stay calm, less arguing, laugh a little

Some people will still get cancer from poor genes, but we can still try to lessen the risk.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
My Uncle has been a Surf Life Saver on the Gold coast (QLD, Australia - Skin cancer capital of the world or so i've heard) for over 30 years - he's a life member. He doesn't wear sun screen, he's brown and wrinkly, as to be expected :p - but never has he had a skin cancer. My mum however sunbaked as a teen, but never as an adult, and had a stage 2 melanoma cut out of her leg. I don't think it's the sun in particular, but I think it chooses the person. I think all cancer is really pretty random. Some of us are just unlucky. Maybe it is the sun, but it depends on something in the person to trigger it.

I don't wear sunscreen - But I don't go out in the sun, I don't even like fake tan. I'm pale and I like to keep it that way. I cover up if i'm outside and I wear sunglasses whenever outside too.

[edit on 8/7/2010 by bkaust]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

My wife and I both have profiles on this site. She forgot to log me out.

Simple as that.

Sorry for your confusion Gorman.

Cheers,
The real Pablos

[edit on 8-7-2010 by pablos]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Well I read the whole thread. I must admit to being very surprised so many people actually believe that exposure to the sun causes skin cancer, and I am just as surprised that so many are not sure.

Surprised in a negative way that is. You never know, they may be shaping public opinion in preparation for a War on Sunlight....

I am now in my mid-thirties, and have spent most of my free time on beaches, as have most of the people I grew up with. Full exposure, most of the day, most days. I have never used sunscreen either.

Most summers entailed spending entire days in the sun in the South of France after partying all night and heading straight to the beach, usually drunk. In fact I've slept in the sun smeared in olive oil, used Johnson's baby oil to enhance my tan (not at all advisable for those with fair complexions), you name it and I have done it.

For at least 30 years.

In this context you might understand I have never even remotely entertained the idea that the sun causes skin cancer. Experience tells me that is simply not true.

I think the easiest way to get some appreciation of reality is to see this from another perspective.

lf the human skin is not exposed to solar radiation (direct or scattered) for long periods of time, disturbances will occur in the physiological equilibrium of the human system. The result will be functional disorders of the nervous system, a vitamin D deficiency, a weakening of the body's defenses, and an aggravation of chronic diseases.

Tanned is healthy. It really is as simple as that.

Now, if you have the common sense necessary to build your tan according to your skin-type, with gradual exposure, then I suggest you get yourselves a complete, healthy tan - the kind that enables you to sit in the sun for hours with no burning.

I don't want to offend anyone but I might as well say it, I consider anyone who believes that the sun is out to kill you but that 'Nivea' will save you to be a fool.

Actually I'm saddened by the amount of them in circulation, even allowing for the fact that there is an impressive propaganda blitz behind this kind of stupidity.

The only thing that I can suggest is direct experimentation. Get your clothes off and get yourselves a suntan. Or don't. Stay home, pull the blinds and hide. You will always find a forum or two where you can discuss the dangers that 'might' befall those of us who fail to worship FDA commissioned 'science'.

Come on, wake up.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by texastig
I heard it's our diet in the northern hemisphere. In the southern hemisphere there's tribal people out in the sun all day and they don't get cancer.

Yeah, that's why over here in Australia, in the southern hemisphere, skin cancer is the most common cancer and will happen to almost everybody.
Right..

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Seems that most people missed the point completely due to the attention grabbing title of the video. The title is misleading - sunlight does cause cancer IF you are exposed to too much and/or have an unhealthy diet. The video is not telling everyone to suddenly run outside and hang out in the sun for eight hours. It merely is informing us that with a proper diet a person can be exposed to UV radiation for greater periods of time before burning (which causes skin damage and can lead to cancer). The advantage of being able to be exposed to more UV radiation is that your body will then produce more vitamin D. Healthy levels of vitamin D drastically reduces your chances of developing 78% of all types of cancers.

Therefore a good diet plus a reasonable amount of sunlight is far healthier than avoiding the sun completely for most people.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter anyway as natural cancer cures exist (many threads on ATS). I have personally removed what doctors have described as "dangerous" large dark moles from my skin using a topical application of a natural cancer cure on them. There is no reason to let the fear of cancer prevent you from enjoying the beautiful sunny outdoors.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
That's very interesting. But I also haven't heard the facts about the US in the percentage of getting skin cancer from tanning beds.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Hi Guys didn't read the whole thread just thought I would let you know that the I got a "Server Not Found" message where the video is supposed to play... just bad luck?? I DON'T THINK SO!

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Well, regardless, I'm going to continue to use sunscreen, because SUNBURN HURTS and as a whiter than white, English guy, I tend to fry like bacon! Also because I have nearly £1000 worth of tattoos I want to protect from sun bleaching. Nothing uglier than a faded, blurry, blue tattoo!

I'm not much of a sun worshipper and I try to avoid long exposure to direct sun, although with the weather we're having over here in the UK at the moment, it's hard to avoid and I do, for a change have a decent tan, but unfortunately, I burned to a crisp before the tan developed, which is when the damage occurrs. The tan is a natural protection from the sun, but it is reactive to the sun and until it developes, you are at risk of damage. This is why people from hot countries can stay out in it longer, because they have a perma-tan, which gives them year long protection.

The rest of us lose our tans, leaving us at risk, which is why we should wear sunscreen until the tan developes.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Logestar

sorry to hear you had some skin cancer removed. I am not 100% sure that video was all fact. I am very light skined and I burn if I am out for more then an hour sunscreen or not. Unfortunately my Grandfather who never used sunscreen, ended up with a nasty form of skin cancer. He too was fair skinned a red head, and he was a farmer, every Summer he would birn to a crisp and get blisters, and he got skin cancer.

I too haven't used much sunscreen and I have gotten blisters as well. I don't eat fast food, or snack on junk food. I make dinners every night, and we have vegetables in our diet along with bread, fruits and so on. I don't drink soda, I drink a lot of water. The last time I had McDonalds was 7 months ago, I hate eating crap food. I think this video is bogus.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

who says we don't need sunlight??? I have only read that the sun is healthy in small doses. It actually helps treat depression especially during the Winter months. It makes people feel good about themselves, and it gives people energy. Plus, it gives you Vitamin D to prevent rickets.

I just think it's bogus that the only reason you get sun burns is lack of nutrition. My family eats very well. Two of my daughters do not burn at all, because they have dark skin like my husband. My husband is Greek, Native American and French. My son is like me pale skinned and he burns too easily, like I do! I just don't think the video was 100% true is all.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Chlorine and sunscreen cause cancer. Sun does not. Especially the chlorine.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join