It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunlight does NOT cause skin cancer!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Yes, Italians have that awesome olive-colored skin.

Sweet. Good for you!

-Sol

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

edit this is my partners identity i didn't log him out, sorry pabs love MIP

[edit on 7-7-2010 by pablos]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by 2012DragonSlayer

Searched it. Arrantly the form helps prevent cancer, not cause it.

reply to post by pablos

I am confused.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by Gorman91]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Double post

[edit on 7-7-2010 by Gorman91]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I must agree that sunlight is very healthybut like anything else,in excess,is bad and will cause bad things to happen period. This isnt the first time ive seen Disinfo out of this NaturalNews.com website,people link to it all the time on here. and Who is this guy anyway? Is he a scientist? Does he have a study done by an independent scientific community? I dont like how he starts going into ignorance and darkness versus light. That isnt very scientific.. lost me at that point

[edit on 7-7-2010 by hawaiinguy12]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by andrewh7

Originally posted by ReeVeeR
Think sunlight alone can cause skin cancer? So did I! But according to the guy in this video, it doesn't. In fact, it actually protects against skin cancer! Watch and see for yorself. Very interesting stuff.

Watch this video

Stop spreading ignorance. Skin cancer is caused by over exposure to ultraviolet radiation. Why don't you go sit out in the sun all day and tell your sunburned skin that the sun is harmless? Here's an idea: open up a book rather than watching some idiot's video on youtube? Let me know how that works out.

well ... the video actually says that skin burned is bad

but yes, it does say that the sun is only bad IF you have bad habits about the aliments and supplements, so, if you are exposed to the sun with all vitamins whatever, you wouldnt have a problem

who knows ... ignorance? did u even research the guys papers he cited? you should do a research based on his research to say that everything is wrong

wait, you actually didnt watch the video ... ops!

(I am not here saying that this video is the truth, but to say it isnt, you need at least research what he said ...)

reply to post by hawaiinguy12

I am not here defending the guy, but I am just saying, he cited sources and studies, I dont know if they are true ... members here should do a full investigation to know if the guy is some hoaxer or actually telling the truth

it would be a good thing to do, instead of just whining (not saying to u) ...

[edit on 7/7/10 by Faiol]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

Full investigation? Are you suggesting for all of use to sit out in the sun for 12 hours a day without sunscreen and see if we develop cancer and then come back on here and report on it? Get real

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
A few comments. First off, our bodies have killer T cells specifically to attack cancer tumors. It is largely when our bodies are beset by to many toxins or suffering from nutrient deficiencies that cancers, bacteria, and viruses are allowed to flourish enough to become symptomatic, in my belief. Our body has the ability to recover from incredible assaults, often we just dont give it the fuel and time it needs.

Secondly, Sun burn itsself may in fact be a symptom of nutritional deficiency. My ex fiancee was in school for naturopathic medicine at SCNM, and we did an experiment once from something she was taught in class. Im am blue eyed and fair skinned, and she is of eastern european descent, blond hair and light eyes. Following a specific protocol one summer when we vacationed on the beach in florida, we took mega doses of Vitamin E, C, fish oils, and carotenoids. We had no extended exposure prior to the trip that summer, and used no lotion at all. I spent about 4-5 hours a day on the beach, and she was out there for 10 to 12 every day (shes a machine!), and we didnt burn at all. It was...Incredible! This leads me to conclude personally, that our body has the ability to protect us from many things we consider normal consequenses, if only we have the proper nutrition and diet.

As to african americans.....here in the US they chronically suffer from vitamin D deficiency, and as Vitamin D has been shown in numerous contemporary studies to be the greatest protection your body has from cancer, viruses, etc, that deficiency may skew the statistics if you are trying to extrapolate that darker skin protects from skin cancer. Sadly dark skinned people need more exposure in order to produce vitamin D. However, D is also the nutrient that is most deficient across the board for all americans, which likely contributes to the drastically rising incidences of cancer.

At any rate, the orthodoxy understands so little about cancer, that for all our study we still have yet to find a method of treating cancer that is not extremely detrimental to the body itsself. Alternative medicine, however, has a relatively similar success rate for treating cancer, and their techniques do NOT destroy the body....indeed, often it is correcting issues and making the body healthier that is the actual treatment allowing the body to fight the cancer off. I had a friend, Joe, who also was at SCNM. He was there because, like many of the students, he had a serious problem that western medicine was unable to manage, and he got treatment from an ND and it resolved. He was diagnosed at age 20 with metastatic melanoma. They tried chemo and rad, but it didnt work, and in fact the doctor gave him a 6 month sentence. He then went to see an ND who did nothing but put him on an all raw diet, and had him isolate his environment and lifestyle from unhealthy factors. His cancer "miraculously" resolved, and he is now 27, no cancer, and healthy, 7 years after his MD predicted his untimely demise. I say "miraculous" because MD's would have you believe that none of that should have made a difference with his condition, and that it was a freak occurance, but I can tell you that having been part of that schools community for 4 years, we saw many similar stories highlighting the fact that there is much that western medicine does not understand, and there are others with knowledge that is safe, and effective.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
It seems to me the Earth's atmosphere and perhaps magnetosphere has been damaged, which allows more harmful UV radiation and cosmic gamma rays to penetrate, thereby explaining the recent explosion in skin cancer rates?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I have a hypothesis.

Some people will get skin cancer even without using suntan lotion. Perhaps our focus shouldn't be relegated to only on suntanning, but how many people walk out the door every day after shampooing with chemicals, using soap with chemicals, or even moisturizer with chemicals?

I suspect the suntan issue is merely a straw man argument for the actual problem. Throwing the suntan issue in there only confuses everybody.

If you only used natural non-chemical based products (avocado and oatmeal skin care, eggs for hair, witch hazel, castille soap, etc) when going out in the sun, or even no product at all, I wonder how many people could have been spared the agony. I have an aunt who had skin cancer and she used sunscreen ALL the time.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
Why is it that people on ATS have this constant need to spread disinformation in regards to just about anything to do with health care.

Maybe, it's because health care is a business, and it's appropriately run as one -- and we all know how human life stacks up against the priorities of the mighty, corporate, bottom line.

Why is this so hard to get???

Authoritative sources of official information has -- time and again -- proven to be incredible. Literally In-Credible. Therefore, people are forced to look to non-authoritative sources -- including sources that thrive on the distribution of disinformation -- for answers.

This, I believe, answers your more or less rhetorical question.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by AmethystSD

I am not going to use a tanning bed in the winter. Why should I do something potentially dangerous (not to mention I think tanning is unattractive) when I can just take a vitamin?

They don't mean that you have to lay out in a bathing suit during the winter to get a suntan. My Chinese doctor told me as long as the sun was coming through my skin for about 20 minutes a day, that would be fine. You can do that by sitting outside all bundled up with just your face exposed to the sun.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
A genetic predisposition to skin cancer is the cause of skin cancer.

Nothing more Nothing less.

I am a 60 year old life long nudist and ex construction worker.

I have been exposed(pun intended) to more sun in just ten years of that then most are in a life time.

A year ago the VA put that together and sent me for a screening to check for skin cancer.

No sign of skin cancer or any sign of pre cancer skin damage.

The dermatologist told me because i had zero signs of skin cancer or damage from the sun to enjoy being a nudist because i have no genetic predisposition to skin cancer.

Then the dermatologist ask my where were the good nude beaches in So Cal. She had just moved out here from back east.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
No sunscreen you say, im sorry but i just can not believe that sunscreen is a bad thing after i heard this song. It is pretty clear that it is a good thing.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by Spacedman13]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
WOW...This thread is an embarrassment to ATS. I started reading responses expecting people to be talking some sense into the OP but most of you support it based on some kind of special relationship with the sun and mother nature and back it up with absolutely nothing. I hate big business also but you can't blame them for everything because it feels right.

Aboriganis and people back in the day that were always in the sun didn't get skin cancer because they didn't live long enough to develope it. Most people don't develope it until after 60.

Dark skinned people don't get skin cancer as often and also don't burn like white people. Don't burn = less damage = less skin cancer. I know there's a good scientific reason but I don't feel like looking it up. Try google before making such rediculous claims such as it must be the healthy natural food they eat.

I didn't realize there was this many uneducated hippies on this site. OK, I'm done...I don't think I could sleep tonight without saying something. And I never post on here...

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I put sunscreen on in moderation not all the time. I think sunscreen is partly to blame, the sun is doing the most harm. Too much sun is bad. Too much sunscreen is bad. 4 hours of sunlight is good enough for me.
Don't get me wrong the sun rays are bad for ya. Just the UV rays. To prove it that it's the UV rays, try and sit in a tanning bed for 10 minutes for the first time. (do not actually attempt this^^^)

The radiation from it alters the DNA in your skin, and could cause the skin cells to mutate. And you also get a very bad burn. Sunscreen prevents getting a sunburn.

Level has a point.

P.S: I use only Coppertone sunscreens (Oil free, hypo allergenic)

[edit on 7-7-2010 by Shrukin89]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jumpingbeanz

Hi jumpingbeanz,

Like the guy said in the video, sun exposure is good for you as is vitamin D, but you have to know how much your body can take. Because if your skin keeps getting burnt it causes the damage, that weakens the skin cells making it more likely to develop skin cancer.

In most cases of sun cancer, the exposure that causes the skin cancer happened when the person was younger and kept getting sun burns.

Which leads me to the question about melanoma. Basal and Squamous cell cancers start "popping out" in peoples middle age to elderly years. But melanoma is not just tied to the sun exposure, it is tied to many different precursors, and a person as young as an infant can have a melanoma.

I think it goes along with many things in life. Not all things are bad as long as they are in moderation.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by andrewh7

When I was a kid I once layed out in the sun for 3 hours. No Burn.

If you've never been sunburned, then I guess no one can get sunburned right? Who needs facts when you've got a single anecdotal example. Sunlight and hence its component UV radiation are stronger near the equator. That's why evolution favored those with darker skin in those regions. In contrast, those with more pale skin are more adapted to the decreased sunlight levels, taking in as much sun as possible in order for their bodies to produce vitamin D. The problem is that the lighter skin makes those individuals more prone to sunburn because their skin contains a lot less melanin.

When I was a kid, I didn't contract Tuberculosis. So, under your logic, Tuberculosis must not exist.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faiol
I am not here defending the guy, but I am just saying, he cited sources and studies, I dont know if they are true ... members here should do a full investigation to know if the guy is some hoaxer or actually telling the truth

it would be a good thing to do, instead of just whining (not saying to u) ...

[edit on 7/7/10 by Faiol]

I also won't waste time investigating unicorns and leprechauns. My uncle who was very pale skinned and from the UK was transferred to Africa during his tour in the military. He developed skin cancer and died as a result of his overexposure to sun.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ReeVeeR

Hi ReeVeeR,

I think what he says in the beginning of the video caught my attention, "maybe" these things are not true.

But, I wonder how over exposure to sunlight can not be damaging and or cause skin cancers? over exposure to anything can be dangerous to your health.

I am not a expert by any means, but I believe that burning the skin over and over will eventually make the cells break down and be compromised, and with many cancers that is where it strikes, your vulnerable areas. (not always, but most times)

As for vitamin D, yes that is good for us and our immune system, protects the skin and many other things as well. But I do not feel that it would take hours upon hours to get the amount of vitamin D from the sun that our body needs, again going back to too much is not a good thing, even with vitamins.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join