It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism in the gaming industry in America?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Resistance Records is a record label that produces and sells music by neo-Nazi and white separatist musicians, primarily through its website

Honestly, you'd have to be off your rocker to call them "a part of the gaming industry". They clearly are not. It'd be like me typing a paragraph on ATS going over "how Asians suck" and calling the book publishing industry racist.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by baphomet420
reply to post by proudcaptalist

you sir, are proof that racism still exists....

i get sick of the victim mentality as well, but your post was disgusting...

and how was that racist? i was just pointing it out.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by wookiee

I know I have strong work and was even told by people at Disney, but I have yet got into the field as of yet.

???? no capido.

Maybe you have less talent than you think. Or you're giving off the 'victim' vibe during interviews.

if you have the talent and skill, you should be hired.

I disagree, if you go in with an attitude, why should you be hired? I wouldn't hire anyone that I saw would not get along with their co-workers, no matter how talented or EEOC qualified they are.

nope, I do have strong work I am thinking the only problem I might need training on is working with an 3D engine like Unreal Editor or something similar. If then I don't get hired, then from what I stated is true. I am currently trying to learn the Unreal Editor, but lack of tutorials is scarce.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
As someone who worked in the film industry for many years, I might caution you that working for Disney Interactive might not be so great - they were generally regarded (at least on the film side) as the worst studio to work for in the industry. Low wages, nasty, slave-driving atmosphere, etc. People really did not like it there. Maybe Disney Interactive is different, I don't know, but thought I'd warn you on that.

As to racism in the business, my guess is most of it is not really intentional, but it may certainly be there. You mention Dragon Age - I think in that case they were creating a fantasy world very much in the European tradition, hence the lack of non-white characters there. The game itself was heavily influenced by the book series "A Song of Ice & Fire" which in turn was influenced by the Wars of the Roses in England, so it all goes back to a pretty lily-white (or rose-white) setting.

In the past BioWare has done other games with plenty of protagonists from various races. "Jade Empire" was set in a fantasy Asian setting and all characters in it were Asian (one of my best friends from college was a Producer on that game, actually, but he's since left the industry). Their Dungeons & Dragons games, the Baldur's Gate series, had a number of characters who could join the adventuring party from various races: black, white, Asian (not to mention various fantastical races, too). Also, the character portraits available to PC's were of a range of races, so again, they were trying to be as inclusive as possible. BioWare is I think one company that especially doesn't have a problem with that issue when it comes to depicting characters in their games. As far as their hiring practices, I have no idea.

I think what you may be running into has more to do with the horrible state of the economy right now. I look white as can be and since I was laid off almost a year ago I haven't been able to find very much but odd jobs here and there, and that's with a good resume, good recommendations and everything. Economy is bad and I'm sure it's affecting the game companies as much as anything else right now.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hypntick
reply to post by dragnet53

Maybe the reason you haven't made it is because you don't know the right people or you really aren't as good as you think you are. I highly doubt it's racially motivated. Have you even had face to face interviews?

Actually can't even get an interview. All I get are automated messages stating we chose another person for the job.

What's your location in the country?

USA and Texas
I sometimes wonder if people don't like Texans.

Do you live near any of the big development houses?

ID software and Bioware

Each of them require years of experience and 2 to 3 games released. No entry levels available at this time. Probably never do to the recession we are in

What's your resume and background like?

Just graduated back in 2009 and have one internship. Not a big company and sadly it was a at home type deal. I wish there were more internships locally, but no one is biting at the moment.

Have you done any solo non-profit design work?

The only thing I am currently working on non-profit is helping out a friend with a typography project that he needs help on.

The only way you'll get a job is if you know someone, or make yourself known to them, otherwise i'd look at another avenue of employment.

I know I tried actually talking to people. I have this aura about me that people seem threatened by me or no interested at all. I am a type of person that gets along well with others just as long as they ain't doing stupid things. I even have a well liked personality and when I work, I work like I am in the military and get the job done. No clowning around until the job is done. I won't be attending the SIGGRAPH 2010 event because it is in LA and it will be expensive. So I will probably head to the SIGGRAPH 2011 in Washington.

Unfortunately I think that your attitude that the reason you're not hired is racial doesn't make you a very good fit for that industry anyways.

Actually, I am not a racist at all until recently after just discovering how this industry seems to be working. The only thing wrong with my attitude is giving up on my fellow man on how it is acting and becoming and ashamed of being human.

--

By the way thanks for the criticism and hopefully it was an honest remark.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by dragnet53]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragnet53
nope, I do have strong work I am thinking the only problem I might need training on is working with an 3D engine like Unreal Editor or something similar.

You have answered your own question right here. You are Daniel-san before he meets Miyagi.

You cannot say that you are trying to learn how to use ONE particular engine from tutorials and yet are still so qualified that the only reason you are not designing games is race. The fact that you do not see that is a little scary and I hope that in the future, after school, training, experience, and obtaining some real knowledge about designing games - future employers cannot dig this up. No HR department is going to want to hire the guy that is so quick to yell racism.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeInDeath

yeah, I have been noticing that as well. I know someone who has honors and all these awards from college and she still hasn't found a job as well. You'd figure companies would pick her up as well. I met her off of linked-in and she came from the same school I graduated except in a different state. i was shocked myself 'cause also she has really good talent. I envy her none the less. Her 2D talent is what I am referring too.

But even with your credentials and recommendations it does seem to me that truly we are in a deep recession. I just don't understand companies at all now a days. I know that companies also use software to scan peoples resumes for certain keywords. I found that little trick from taking a resume class that was free.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by K J Gunderson

yeah, But I say racism might also be involved is because just look at team photos and seeing only one color. It just makes you think. It is called favoritism.
They might see one white guy and then a black guy after an interview. They might choose the white guy over the black guy because they feel the black guy might not fit in with the business environment. I have seen this many of times.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by funkmob_starchild
Well, it seems to me if you have the talent and skill, you should be hired.

I'm not so sure it comes down to simply that, but of course it never has been in reality.

While it might not be blatant in terms of them literally feeling they shouldn't hire certain minorities, I do have friends in the gaming industry that have said the same thing. I know and have worked with the writer of a few games (through his various comic book storylines) and it has come up before in casual conversation.

Unless there aren't any Blacks good enough to make it into the gaming industries, which seems pretty doubtful, this seems like a club of "who you know".

I don't think it is intentional but it is out there.

- Lee

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma

Originally posted by funkmob_starchild
Well, it seems to me if you have the talent and skill, you should be hired.

I'm not so sure it comes down to simply that, but of course it never has been in reality.

While it might not be blatant in terms of them literally feeling they shouldn't hire certain minorities, I do have friends in the gaming industry that have said the same thing. I know and have worked with the writer of a few games (through his various comic book storylines) and it has come up before in casual conversation.

Unless there aren't any Blacks good enough to make it into the gaming industries, which seems pretty doubtful, this seems like a club of "who you know".

I don't think it is intentional but it is out there.

- Lee

I know a few minorities did find jobs, but not in the gaming industry. They work in the architectural industry. I tried in the architectural industry, but all not hiring.

I feared the powers that be would flood the industry just like they flooded the computer industry.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   

It was racist due to you spewing hatred about a race based on stereotypes. Not all black people do the whole 'hip hop culture' jargon you spoke of. I think it was rude of you and the other posters here to assume the OP is 'the stereotypical black person' when you know nothing of this persons character other than that they asked a question about whether or not anybody has noticed racism in a particular setting.

It's just as bad as minorities believing every white person they see is a racist or an covert member of the KKK.

To the OP:
I would have to agree its about who you know in the industry... however I also believe it has to do with 'comfort zones'. People in coding teams have to work very close together and for long periods of time. They also have to believe you are a reliable person due to the deadlines you will be facing and the late nighters you will have to be pulling to complete a section of code. Also, you have to come across as a 'non-threatening' black man. In order to do this, as sad as it is, you have to go over the top in appearing professional and harmless.

Wear glasses... even if you dont need them and wear the most stereotypical nerd getup you possibly can. Speak as articulate as you possibly can and patch up your grammar. I have witnessed some definate discrimination (which a few posters have demonstrated for us here by assuming you were one of the stereotypical televised black males the media shoves down our throat) and in order to disarm this you must be not just better but 10x better in appearance and in skill than the others. A porfolio / flash drive of programs you have completed on your own will also help. Hell, create a website featuring them as I have seen done before.

Good luck in the future and dont give up!

(edited because my A key is sticking and I dont want my post disregarded and announced invalid due to a typo
)

[edit on 3-7-2010 by EminenceofAeon]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   

this was a comically recorded instance of pot and kettle meeting.

black guy is clearly not getting a job because when he goes in for an interview and he sees standard white guy hes gonna be thinking "great im #ed". How does that come across in an industry driven on a persons willingness to have confidence in ones own opinion?

Those ppl that conduct interviews see a ton of people everyday and if 90 some odd percent of what we communicate to others is through body language of course you've got the cards stacked against you.

Perhaps changing YOUR perspective and attitude would help you come across more positively in these matters. They have wonderful courses now which you can take to help you have more control of your life and take charge against your "invisible" oppresor. Really its you

as for the white guy who lost his mind angry at the kid, perhapsthe reason your getting the `vibe`from black people like they want you to feel some sort of guilt is because you clearly are a racist dick. I doubt your putting off that vibe with your white friends, how warmly is the white guy being a dick in the corner going to be received in any group setting.

my race shouldnt count for an opinion but i know youll assume one way or the other so ill just clear the air.

this guy here, Canadian!!!!

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by EminenceofAeon

Thanks for the post and I am not a brotha, but I am partial hispanic. In fact I am three races mixed. But I will take your advice and get glasses. People keep telling me I need 'em anyway.

heh

[edit on 3-7-2010 by dragnet53]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
i dont think its a racist thing but white people make story's with white people as characters. its not something they do on purpose its almost subconscious. me being black i make comics and all of my main characters are black. that dosent mean im racist. and games like elder scrolls: oblivion give you the choice of being black. as for the hiring, why dont you just start your own company and hire blacks

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Lol

Seems I also made an assumption. I figured with your lack of replying to the previous posters to clear up your race that you were. I now see that you were just replying where you were respectfully addressed.

For my assumption on your race I am sorry. Its actually ironic since I make no mention of my own race because its funny to see people assume I am one thing or the other... lol got caught in my own game it seems.

On a side note... I wonder if we will get the anti-immigration jargon now in this thread... sad times we are in when we are so divided.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by asher
i dont think its a racist thing but white people make story's with white people as characters. its not something they do on purpose its almost subconscious. me being black i make comics and all of my main characters are black. that dosent mean im racist. and games like elder scrolls: oblivion give you the choice of being black. as for the hiring, why dont you just start your own company and hire blacks

Thought about it on creating my own company. I need backing of funds though and refuse to borrow any money. Those blood sucking lenders already have me by the balls with the college loans. If I however do win the lottery, then I might consider it. But I would hire all races because I truly believe in equality. In my place of work it would be hard work and determination would be a strong factor.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by EminenceofAeon

no worries dude. I made that assumption as well with others on this forum.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
There are a few forums online where you can find job openings and things for small time software and gaming companies. A few years back I was asked to write a instruction manual for a low budget PC game.

Try checking those out, and it doesn't hurt to go ahead and see about making a game on XBL or something small to build a portfolio. Think outside of the box and try to be noticed while you do interviews.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

There have been japanese steryotypes and borderline racist asain characters and what not in games for decades and I don't recall the Japanese getting angry.

They make a lot of the better games anyways so maybe that is why.

I don't doubt that in some fields it would be an issue, but there are a lot of nerdy white kids who are really smart in America.....

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Yeah i'm not trying to be rude at all. I considered the gaming industry for a little while myself when I was still in high school. Did some research on the field, what kind of work you would do etc. Of course I was looking at it from a programming aspect, it just didn't appeal to me at all. From what I understand it's very similar to working in the film industry, months and months of non-stop balls to the wall work. A person could go crazy from all of that stuff.

I'm sure you'll find something if you keep trying hard enough. However as I said, the gaming industry is a very hard thing to break into. Even then, you may discover that it's not all it's cracked up to be. I personally changed from programming to network administration, a lot more mellow and better compensated for the effort involved.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join