It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism in the gaming industry in America?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragnet53
I know I have strong work and was even told by people at Disney, but I have yet got into the field as of yet. I even tried entry level positions.
When I programmed for the house of mouse, our lead developer was filippino and our head designer was hispanic. Disney's about as equal opportunity as they come... but the corporate bureaucracy is so bad, you'll want out after a couple of years. The turnover is huge.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

yeah, Some people I talked to stated that if you want to work in the movie industry then you better learn to live like a nomad. No movie industry keeps people around now a days. Disney I know ain't racist and like I stated they liked my work and was going to have an internship. But they bought marvel and then this recession happened. Also can't forget how California is basically broke to.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   

reply to post by K J Gunderson

yeah, But I say racism might also be involved is because just look at team photos and seeing only one color.

So what? How do you know those were not the most qualified people to have those jobs just because they are all one color? How is that not racist? Can you provide us with these photos? You obviously had access and would not say such a thing unless you had access to a great many company's team photos. Please share.

It just makes you think. It is called favoritism.

No, I think the word you are looking for is victimhood. It is not a desirable quality and I can already tell you that you would not pass an interview with me. Even if you had more experience than teaching yourself an old engine with tutorials, even if you had real experience and real training, I would not hire you. You have made it clear that you are not willing to look at what might be your own faults. I say this because your list of qualifications is laughable at best. I do not say that to be harsh but the fact that you wrote it and meant it really brought a chuckle to me. You are looking for someone to blame for your failures and are apparently ready to get the EEOC and ACLU involved. Thanks very much, we will keep your application on file. Don't call us, we will call you.

Think about how you presented yourself here, however informal it is. Let me show you "I think autoshops are all racist. I have applied for jobs at many and been turned down or not even looked at. I have been teaching myself how to rebuild carburetors with 'Popular Mechanics' magazines and I feel I am qualified to fix cars." Well, the next 40 guys applying have a certified education, portfolio of work, and are aware that they will not see to many carburetors. Now, what if you also happen to be the only person of color that applied? That is just chance. That happens.

They might see one white guy and then a black guy after an interview. They might choose the white guy over the black guy because they feel the black guy might not fit in with the business environment. I have seen this many of times.

Where? Be specific as to how you know that the white person was hired to fit in better. Otherwise, you are just saying things and that is pretty sad. Help me believe you.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Actually can't even get an interview. All I get are automated messages stating we chose another person for the job.

How did they determine your race by which to disregard you if you have not had any face to face meetings, yet?

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Just look at the games that come out like Resident Evil 5 or DragonAge Origins. In DragonAge Origins all the humans are white. I mean they do give you a way to colorize your character other than white. But none of the main characters were different color. In Resident Evil 5 you have Chris Redfield going against all black zombies in Africa. In all of the Resident Evil games I don't remember the virus being created in Africa. I think they wanted some controversy since it worked with Rockstar games.

You see what you want to see, personally I'd say you are more racist for trying to find racism in these games than the games themselves. Dragonage is a fantasy game. In that fantasy game the humans as as race are predominately white, mostly because they are only in one land (A nordic backdrop, by the way.)

In Resident Evil 5 Chris Redfield is killing tons of black zombies because he is in Africa. Where was your outcry for all the Spaniards in RE4, or all the Americans in RE 1,2,3?

A few games also had some main characters that were non-white like GTA series, but they were just using a stereo typical black person living in the ghetto style persona.
[edit on 2-7-2010 by dragnet53]

Yes, because Nico Bellic, the Eastern Bloc former mercenary turned soldier who is out to find the people that betrayed them and assist in his cousins desire to achieve the American dream is just your typical "black person living in the ghetto style persona." GTA games try to imitate different movie styles. I presume you are referencing GTA: San Andreas, a storyline modeled after the time period of gang war in the early 90's in and around Compton. Why not point out the racism against Italians depicted in GTA3? All of the characters in there were basically your stereotypical Italian person working for the Mob persona, right?

e.e Political Correctness is destroying our brains.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by WolfofWar

hahaha I am more racist than I say?

I have friends of all races even arabs (still despise their religion). I was looking at this one hiring site called www.diversity.com and interesting they would create a site that would deal with companies that love a diverse environment. Now why would somebody create a site like that? Even the creators of the game mortal kombat vs. DC posted a hiring there (I tried not enough experience) stating that if you don't like working in a diverse environment then this place is not for you. Why would they place that type of comment there?

some companies seem to know that some companies only hire a certain race. I think you are just trying to make me look like the bad guy here. Nice try and epic fail.

[edit on 4-7-2010 by dragnet53]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Even the creators of the game mortal kombat vs. DC posted a hiring there (I tried not enough experience)

How can you claim any of these places have been racist when none of them have SEEN YOU???????

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Well i do know a particular gentleman who currently lives in the U.K. working in a game publishing company. Sure the guy is not from a minority background but that also accounts for the fact that he was a hard core gamer in his younger days. He actually developed several well known games in the 90's/00 and is currently head designer of an upcoming title due to be released this winter across the world. But the fact is that many people tend to see games as games and don't consider that fact that its a billion dollar industry.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

As someone who also wants to get in the gaming industry, I have put in my fair amount of research, made some connections, and practiced almost nonstop at times to better my skills. If you are trying to get in as an artist, it comes down to a couple of things, your portfolio and your previous work. If you don't have previous work, try getting in onn some freelance gigs or on a mod team of some sort (ModDB). If your portfolio is as great as you think it is, make sure you are getting it out there so people in the industry can see it. I recommend joining all of us over at Polycount, you'll find plenty of people already in the industry and places to post your work and get great feedback. If you want to get in on this game, you have to know people and have great work to show them (btw, they don't care about your college education, it all comes down to having an amazing portfolio...they would sooner hire some teen off the street with an amazing portfolio than some college educated guy with a decent portfolio). As far as not finding many tutorials for UDK (unreal engine), check out 3D Buzz, Eat3D, and Hourences' Guides. If you have any other questions feel free to u2u me, I'll see how I can help out.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
How about a screenshot or some video from one of the many things you have developed so far? You say you are talented and experienced, even though your explanations thereof are severely lacking, lets just take your word for it. Show us something.

You must have a few shots of something? Some kind of demo? Something right?

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   

nope, I do have strong work I am thinking the only problem I might need training on is working with an 3D engine like Unreal Editor or something similar.

If you have no experience with 3D engines, what is your "strong work" in? Do you only do background design? 2D platform games? Hard to find a game that does not use some type of 3D engine so this is quite a curious statement.

Actually can't even get an interview. All I get are automated messages stating we chose another person for the job.

Wha????????????

I call BS on this entire thread. Not only have failed to even remotely make your case, you undid it yourself before too long.

How in hell can you claim you have not been hired due to racism by people that have not even seen you? How do they know your race before they even interview you? Are you putting it on your resume? I can tell you right now that any potential employee announcing their race to me before I even meet them just seems like trouble and will be passed over. Sounds like trouble hoping to find a puddle to slip in.

So please, can you explain how you have been excluded based on race by people with no knowledge of your race?

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Yes, you are showing clear signifiers of being a racist, just a different type of racism. It's possibly some type of reverse discrimination or self-hatred, or it just might be standard psychological projection. You pointed out video games that have nothing explicitly or even implicitly racist in them and try to warp the imagery of the game (and only select games, that, in your case, seem to have something to do with the portrayal of black people) into something that it is not. The fact that you ignore the games in the video game series that didn't fit the bill (and your bill, by the way, is erroneous, as I pointed out) really goes to show where your motives are. Why is it that in Resident Evil 5 Chris Redfield being in Africa and killing African zombies is somehow more racist than Leon Kennedy being in Spain in RE4 and killing Spanish Zombies? How is C.J being a black gang-member any more racist than the Italians guys in GTA 4 being in the Mafia?

Your denial in the face of an accusation of racism also is a rather cookie-cutter approach of racists rejecting their possible racism. Yes, you are looking into diversity.com, good for you, that doesn't change that your fallacious examples and arguments display a clear case of racial projection.

Epic fail indeed.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson

Even the creators of the game mortal kombat vs. DC posted a hiring there (I tried not enough experience)

How can you claim any of these places have been racist when none of them have SEEN YOU???????

actually one of my demo reels I have myself in it with a video composition. The only good video composition from that project. The girl was new with the filming and didn't learn the secrets until later in the quarter. I don't look like your average white geeky type look. I actually take care of myself and work out. I do look intimidating some what. damn, gave myself away especially those that have seen my work...

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by WolfofWar

LOL I guess you can say I am racist toward racists.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by numo16

I will try polycount. I thought I knew most of the places. I am working on something new with Terragen 2 and some work with Zbrush added into it. Thanks for the input. I am right now playing games to get ideas. I want to specialize in environments. Hey, it's in my blood since I am partial Hispanic.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   

But there is no racism present in the video games that you described, and a lot of the white majority appearance to developer studios has to do with location and percentages. The only racism is you supplanting it. That's more racist than anything else, because you are shoehorning this in to make a non-issue into an issue.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
What about the chick who helped develop Assassins Creed??

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   

actually one of my demo reels I have myself in it with a video composition. The only good video composition from that project. The girl was new with the filming and didn't learn the secrets until later in the quarter. I don't look like your average white geeky type look. I actually take care of myself and work out. I do look intimidating some what. damn, gave myself away especially those that have seen my work...

You really do not think you are a racist??????

Wow man, wow.

So, the difference between you and a white person is that you take care of yourself. Gotcha!

So, where is this demo reel? You have all this attention on you, what a great time to showcase your work. I am guessing you are full of crap, just a guess.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   

actually one of my demo reels I have myself in it with a video composition. The only good video composition from that project.

So the only good composition you have in your portfolio has you in it? What kind of game might that be showcasing? I really have to know. Are you designing "Trapdoor" for the CD32?

The girl was new with the filming and didn't learn the secrets until later in the quarter.

Secrets? So again, you blame soemeone else for your portfolio lacking? Is that what you tell people when applying for a job? 'I can do better but the people helping me all sucked!'

I don't look like your average white geeky type look.

White? You mean like all the nerds at Konami? Yamamoto sounds strangely non-white to me but if the only way you can delineate yourself from a group is to point out what the white ones look like compared to you, you already lost.

I actually take care of myself and work out.

As opposed to white people? Do nerdy black people take care of themselves? How about nerdy Hispanics? They are all built? So it is just the WHITE nerds that you say do not take care of themselves? Why else would you specify? You sound severely racist.

I do look intimidating some what.

I am sure you think that.

damn, gave myself away especially those that have seen my work...

Who would those people be that can identify you from this post?

I am pretty sure I remember you. The portfolia had mediochre 2D graphics, some poorly filmed composite with live footage of you, and no demonstration of any character creation, physics, interactivity, anything. Yeah, I recall I was super impressed until I noticed that intimidating hispanic in the reel.

You remind me of most of the kids I went to high school with. You know, the ones that only got poor grades because of racism. The fact that they rarely showed for class or tests had nothing to do with it. I will never forget my two favorite quotes that you may want to use.

"All white people are racist"
"The SAT is racist cuz black folk dont use all them words."
-Fellow students of mine, not fellow graduates.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson

You really do not think you are a racist??????

Wow man, wow.

So, the difference between you and a white person is that you take care of yourself. Gotcha!

So, where is this demo reel? You have all this attention on you, what a great time to showcase your work. I am guessing you are full of crap, just a guess.
+

lol You must have some severe read comprehension problems. But you seem sore and bitter about this subject. I myself have dated dated white girls and even my best friend is white. So tell me again how I am racist?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join