It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism in the gaming industry in America?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragnet53
So tell me again how I am racist?

Oh and before I forget...

Actually, I am not a racist at all until recently after just discovering how this industry seems to be working.

Unless the meaning of "until" has been changed, admitting you have become racist might explain how you are racist.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ItsallCrazy
reply to post by dragnet53

Resident Evil was a bad choice to prove your point. One of the main characters is black

Pfffffffffffft yeah but she's light skinned so you know that don't count.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

I know the boss of a UK games company and the people in his employ are from a very wide range of 'races'. I looked at his friends from US games companies via facebook and the mix there seems similar to his - I would estimate 50% white, 50% other races.

Games companies over here don't usually care about degrees or other qualifications - they look for experience and demonstrations of previous work. A degree in computer science or similar isn't going to make a good games programmer or 3D artist. They are both skills that take a lot of hard work to perfect.

If I were you I would attempt to get a job at a smaller developer in the tools or test area, work hard and progress from there. I would also build some demos to present my abilities. Do not go to an interview with the view that the interviewer will be racist - put that out of you mind completely as it will show through in the interview.

In general most games companies are staffed throughout with highly intelligent people who are not the sort of people to have racist views.

PS I could have missed it but did you describe what your skill set is?

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

reply to post by evil incarnate

LMAO

I love it when people just dissect your post just to think they are smart!

Really? Who disected my post to try and look smart? I missed that. Maybe you should try looking smart. It would really help your case.

Actually, I break it up to make it easier for you to respond to individual points I made. Obviously that was the wrong approach since you addressed half of one.

Sure and what expose myself to the world?

Why not? Aren't you trying to get a job in a worldwide industry? How can exposure hurt?

lmao!

Laugh it up. Apparently memory is not one of the tools in your box. You did just say

damn, gave myself away especially those that have seen my work...
so the cat is already out of the bag, is it not?

But yet I know nothing of you.

When I start complaining that I cannot get a job because of racism on a public forum, feel free to ask me to provide some evidence of that. Until then, this is not about me is it?

A trade for a trade,but probably post somebody elses things instead of your own. lol

You really do seem young with these types of responses. I have to assume you are young, inexperienced, and feeling entitled. It makes no sense at all to ask me for anything to prove myself to you. I am not the one making claims. What do you not understand about that?

You say you are qualified. Why should we believe you?

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Still haven't answered my question: Why are black zombies racist and spanish zombies not?

The fact that you have been unable or unwilling to answer that shows the amount of validating (i.e. the lack of) in your claim. It also proves my point about your intentions earlier.

What we have here is another typical angsty young adult. Bitter about his failures currently and using his skin color and racial issues that have been irrelevant for over 60 years as a safety net for him to fall back on. Get some skills, grow up, and work hard. Oh, and stop being a racist, it's not a good color on you.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
If you are not needed, then why should they hire you?

You assume you know the best action for others to take.

The gaming industry is hurting severely at the moment as well. Add the recession to that and you got a storm.

I feel that you are generalizing your skills to a higher level than what they are. Judging by your posts here claiming racism, I feel you are closed minded and do not have a wide scope on things. This can show in interviews, resumes, and even posts.

One last thing to add. Looks and personality do have a role in everything in life. Consider "good looks" your luck. But just because you have bad luck does not mean it is impossible. If you were truly the best and could prove it, you would not be passed up. You need to offer something others can not.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
Still haven't answered my question: Why are black zombies racist and spanish zombies not?

The fact that you have been unable or unwilling to answer that shows the amount of validating (i.e. the lack of) in your claim. It also proves my point about your intentions earlier.

What we have here is another typical angsty young adult. Bitter about his failures currently and using his skin color and racial issues that have been irrelevant for over 60 years as a safety net for him to fall back on. Get some skills, grow up, and work hard. Oh, and stop being a racist, it's not a good color on you.

I am not the one who started this controversy with Resident Evil 5. But I have stated in this thread that no where in any of the games I have played that africa was the birth of the virus. It was born by a corporation that was started in America. This I believe was started in Codename Veronica.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by evil incarnate

Easier to respond too? LOL

2nd line

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

i question on hiring in the industry because I don't see a variety of color in the industry. In my class of graduation there were multiple minorities. They got jobs ,but in a different industry and they wanted games as well. This is America based and it is WE THE PEOPLE. Even some of my white friends will agree with me that my color will be a hard time getting a job in this field. I have to push myself harder than a normal person would.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightFantastic

I know the boss of a UK games company and the people in his employ are from a very wide range of 'races'. I looked at his friends from US games companies via facebook and the mix there seems similar to his - I would estimate 50% white, 50% other races.

Games companies over here don't usually care about degrees or other qualifications - they look for experience and demonstrations of previous work. A degree in computer science or similar isn't going to make a good games programmer or 3D artist. They are both skills that take a lot of hard work to perfect.

If I were you I would attempt to get a job at a smaller developer in the tools or test area, work hard and progress from there. I would also build some demos to present my abilities. Do not go to an interview with the view that the interviewer will be racist - put that out of you mind completely as it will show through in the interview.

In general most games companies are staffed throughout with highly intelligent people who are not the sort of people to have racist views.

PS I could have missed it but did you describe what your skill set is?

Environments is where my focus is. I use Zbrush, Terragen 2, and Maya. I also specialize in Matte painting.

If it is more fair in the UK, then I might try my luck overseas.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by K J Gunderson

yes, but like I stated many of times I just used it as an example becausein the past it has been a raise of issue of controversy. But I guess on ATS it is okay to cause fear mongering for Mexicans like the Arizona fiasco and not this. LOL

It makes me really question now if I might be right.

[edit on 5-7-2010 by dragnet53]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson

And you like to instigate things.

Oh, must be. My bad for starting this thread.

Who said anything about high school?

I did. Maybe your reading comprehension is causing some trouble at the application level.

BTW I liked the Dragon Age game it was enjoyable. A game that actually took me a long time to beat. I even bought the expansion pack awakening. Also I went to one town and I was shocked to see a brotha at the gate. I cried in happiness.

Why are you telling me about Dragon Age?

What do you mean a brotha? I thought you were Hispanic?

BTW I let it die awhile back. SO who brought it back up?

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merigold

You're not going to make 25K to start with!

You want in? Start by letting go of unrealistic expectations.

People that are successful in the gaming industry are NOT in it for the money generally.

Lower than that? I make mostly 10k a year sometimes less than that. 25k is average. YOu think that is high expectation? LOL My career adviser gave our class advice and stated that we should ask at least around 30-40/hr or 40k a year because that is the average salary.

[edit on 5-7-2010 by dragnet53]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

haha Even my best friend ,who is white, laughed at the silly notion that some of you peeps think I am racist.

I think personally some of you who are literally trying to make me look racist are probably racist yourselves.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

I am not the one who started this controversy with Resident Evil 5.

Why does it matter who started it? If you are pushing it, and you believe it, then you need to be able to stand up to questions about it. Appealing to someone else having started it only works when you also say YOU DO NOT AGREE with it but you already stated you do. So, answer some real questions.

But I have stated in this thread that no where in any of the games I have played that africa was the birth of the virus. It was born by a corporation that was started in America. This I believe was started in Codename Veronica.

CODENAME VERONICA starts in Paris and ends in Antarctica.

Neither of those are part of America. You just have no clue what you are talking about while looking for your excuse to cry about race.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

i question on hiring in the industry because I don't see a variety of color in the industry.

Where have you looked and why wont you show us what you have seen?

In my class of graduation there were multiple minorities.

Is English not your first language?

They got jobs ,but in a different industry and they wanted games as well.

Were there any white kids in that class? Where did they end up? Running Capcom?

This is America based and it is WE THE PEOPLE.

Unfortunately here in America, potential employers expect a letter of interest and resume to contain proper grammar and use of the language they are written in. You do not seem to have that ability. How about the other friends in your class? Did they know how to read and write English?

Even some of my white friends will agree with me that my color will be a hard time getting a job in this field.

Then it must be true. Your white friends are experts racism in the gaming industry how?

I have to push myself harder than a normal person would.

Then get to pushing. You are wasting a lot of valuable time whining on a UFO website about how you are super awesome but too Hispanic to get hired. How do you think this is helping so far?

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Environments is where my focus is. I use Zbrush, Terragen 2, and Maya. I also specialize in Matte painting.

If it is more fair in the UK, then I might try my luck overseas.

Dazzle us with one fine example of your work in uh...just backgrounds.
Much Matte painting needed in the new SNES game formats.

[edit on 5-7-2010 by K J Gunderson]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

yes, but like I stated many of times I just used it as an example becausein the past it has been a raise of issue of controversy.

That is the weakest point I have ever seen anyone make. You understand that one of the two main characters is black but you still scream racism because someone else already did? Are you for real?

But I guess on ATS it is okay to cause fear mongering for Mexicans like the Arizona fiasco and not this. LOL

Yeah, get on me about the Arizona bill. That would be a great idea.

It makes me really question now if I might be right.

Huh? You are finally seeing that you might be wrong?

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   

BTW I let it die awhile back. SO who brought it back up?

NOT ME!!!!!

I never mentioned the game once. Perhaps your ability to follow along is getting in the way of you presenting yourself as a desirable candidate. Someone else mentioned a game so you respond to me with it and then complain it is not your fault for getting that wrong because you do not know who brought it up?

You are exactly like every angry little 16 year old wanna-be-dropout I have ever met. Each of your posts demonstrates a low ability to comprehend, read, express yourself in a written manner, and the ability to recognize patterns, understand names, relate material to its respective source.

Sorry you do not know who brought it up but yelling at me about it makes no sense.

Are you going to try and prove you are not some whiny punk kid, or do you really expect us to take your word for all of this, given what you have offered up as evidence of the type you are?

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   

haha Even my best friend ,who is white, laughed at the silly notion that some of you peeps think I am racist.

I honestly wish I could be present the day you realize what a joke cliche used by racists that has become here in America. 'Im not racist, my best friend is XXX' is a joke. You would not know that apparently because you are so young. Someday, you will get it and stop trying to use it and expect people to not laugh in your face. What does your white best friend think about the idea that white people do not take care of themselves as well as Hispanics do? That is a perfect example of racism so tell me how your friend sees that.

I think personally some of you who are literally trying to make me look racist are probably racist yourselves.

No need at all. You admitted it.

Actually, I am not a racist at all until recently after just discovering how this industry seems to be working.

Unless you are using some new form of English that you made up, that is an admission that you are now racist.

Then you made a racist statement to help out.

I don't look like your average white geeky type look. I actually take care of myself and work out.

You have yet to explain why taking care of yourself and working out only separates you from white nerds and not just nerds of all colors.

I am sure saying you are racist, saying racist things is really endearing to your white best friend.

[edit on 5-7-2010 by K J Gunderson]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join