It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Gov. Schwarzenegger orders minimum wage for 200,000 state workers, citing lack of Budget

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
This is pretty hot off the wires...no details yet, but, WSJ is given as a Source in a Twitter Feed...I'll update as more is available...

twitter.com...

Expect a few other States to follow suit soon?

Thoughts?

[edit on 7/1/2010 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I was just reading that, here's a link:

Schwarzenegger orders minimum wage for state workers

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

Thank You I missed that formatting the OP...

Read the minimum-wage pay letter

I also see today Illinois is cutting big time...the first was forecast to be ugly...

Illinois Budget Calls for $1.4 Billion in Cuts

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
They tried it back in 2008 but the state controller refused to do it because he thougth it wasn't legal and two that their payroll system would make it difficult to do what they wanted, this was back in 2008. This Chang guy is from the other party and he's trying to do anything to get himself voted for higher position by making it look like that he is on the side of the state workers. 48 States are in the red, and we haven't seen the last of this. Obama doesn't want to bailout any of them because the first time he bails out a state like California, then the rest will want a bailout also and they will pressure their senators and congressmen. They may even say that we won't allow this bailout unless you bailout my state and my state and etc. etc. etc.. We are in deep trouble and I think people in the know are allowing the band to keep playing and the drinks to keep flowing while they slowly move off into the life boats from the titanic which is the US economy.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I assume Mr. Schwarzenegger is including himself in the new pay scale.

I will have to assume that he is, since he is a "state worker", and state employee himself.

Just goes to show you how little he thinks of the pawns who help run the state of California, and how little he values them.

eta: On second thought, I wish all the state employees would get up and walk out tomorrow. See how he can manage all those empty buildings, ringing phones, and paperwork himself. Yep. Not even a security guard to stand outside his lonely building. The whole state would shut down, but maybe it would also shut down his grandiosity in thinking these people have no value to him or the state. It's insulting.

And oh, If he's one of those governors who don't accept a paycheck, then nevermind about that part of my post. We have an MD running for office now in my state, and he says he won't accept a paycheck if elected, so I know it happens.

EDIT: It is no longer necessary to point out to me that Arnold does not receive a paycheck. Got it!

[edit on 7/1/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I wonder if California is going to start hiring illegals soon because they can get away with paying them less.

I feel no sympathy for these people. In the past, having a government job was like having a free ticket to the chocolate factory. Great pay, no accountability, and awesome benefits. I have seen people accomplish nothing for months working at state jobs. The few people that do all the work need to speak up and get the others fired so they can go back to earning their money. I am surprised these fools aren't just fired right now.

At least they still have work. Minimum wage work is hard to find in a lot of places. If I didn't have a car, I wouldn't have a job.

California needs to start cutting entire departments.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Well he's pretty rich so I don't think a pay cut will affect his Yachting much, but, I say if America has to toil at Wal-Mart for Minimum Wage why not spread the Anti-Wealth around?

It's not like it takes multiple degrees to operate a stapler or copy machine...

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
They'd best take the minimum wage !
Indeed.
I just did, after 13 months of nothin
except one private job I got from a friend !
ANd it was 10 hours a night $2 Under Minimum Wage !
I am glad they will be able to keep a roof over their head, if they don't ask for too much.
Many who can't find a job will have no roof this 4th of July.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
ALL US states are screwed unless the Federal Government raises tariffs on imports and slave labor. States are trying to compensate for lost income by raising taxes which only encourages corporations to leave the country.

We've GOT TO RAISE TARIFFS. We have to DEMAND IT!!!!

There is no other option.

I'll state it till my fingers go numb.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Obviously you are right, I'm sure he and his family will be fine.
But it just ticks me off. I understand about "chipping in" in times of trouble, and all that. But I doubt if the typical state employees are the ones who got him in to this mess.

But evidently, they are the ones who are going to pay.

A pay cut like that will cause people to lose their homes.
I hope HE moves into two bedroom apartment. If you can even find one in California for minimum wage.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
I assume Mr. Schwarzenegger is including himself in the new pay scale.

I will have to assume that he is, since he is a "state worker", and state employee himself.

Schwarzenegger doesn't get paid to be the governator .

he just does it cause he's evil

[edit on 1-7-2010 by Zeta Reticulan]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   

eta: On second thought, I wish all the state employees would get up and walk out tomorrow. See how he can manage all those empty buildings, ringing phones, and paperwork himself. Yep. Not even a security guard to stand outside his lonely building. The whole state would shut down, but maybe it would also shut down his grandiosity in thinking these people have no value to him or the state. It's insulting.

You might just get your wish with our messed up budget.

Actually it would be nice so long as the regulations that need all these state workers to enforce would get up and walk away as well.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

You do understand that state's employ engineers for your highway departments?

Your Psychiatrists, Psychologists, and Social Workers for state operated mental health centers?

That University professors are state employees?

State Troopers?

Physicians at State funded hospitals?

Do you think these people sit around playing with staplers all day?

And who will process food stamps? Who will go check on abused and neglected children?

Do you realize what an enormous bureaucracy state government is?
And how many people will be effected here?

Honestly to God, the man just makes one stupid decision after another.
Only California would elect a movie star. And that's what they've got.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Gov. Schwarzenegger has never received a paycheck for running the state of CA.
Whomever the next governor of CA is, I wonder if he/she will take a paycheck or not??

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Well it looks like California is going to fall into the ocean long before it ever gets hit with the Big One .....problem is what happens in California does not stay in California.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by rangersdad

Gov. Schwarzenegger has never received a paycheck for running the state of CA.
Whomever the next governor of CA is, I wonder if he/she will take a paycheck or not??

You know what? That's ONE decent thing he's done.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
ALL US states are screwed unless the Federal Government raises tariffs on imports and slave labor. States are trying to compensate for lost income by raising taxes which only encourages corporations to leave the country.

We've GOT TO RAISE TARIFFS. We have to DEMAND IT!!!!

There is no other option.

I'll state it till my fingers go numb.

You might wan to reconsider the tariff idea. That extra cost gets passed on to the end users... you and I.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

You do understand that state's employ engineers for your highway departments?

Your Psychiatrists, Psychologists, and Social Workers for state operated mental health centers?

That University professors are state employees?

State Troopers?

Physicians at State funded hospitals?

Do you think these people sit around playing with staplers all day?

And who will process food stamps? Who will go check on abused and neglected children?

Do you realize what an enormous bureaucracy state government is?
And how many people will be effected here?

Honestly to God, the man just makes one stupid decision after another.
Only California would elect a movie star. And that's what they've got.

And if Cali does go belly up, all of the above will be out of work. At that point they'd love those minimum wage jobs back, I bet.

They are literally at a do-or-die point which will require some difficult and sweeping decisions to correct.

I'm a state employee and I have not received a raise in 4 years, not even cost-of-living adjustments, while fuel and food prices have jumped up. But, I have no moral grounds to complain because technically I work at the pleasure of the governor (through his agencies) and I work for the public. If paying me hurts the public (through taxes) then how am I really in the public's best interest? I am NOT OWED something from the tax-payers. If I was laid off tomorrow it would suck for me but it would NOT be an injustice.

link   
The obama plan seems to be working as planed as he spends more the

states cut back more. Out of touch with reality and it is politics over the

economy as obama spends us into oblivion. ^Y^

link   
reply to post by spaznational

You might wan to reconsider the tariff idea. That extra cost gets passed on to the end users... you and I.

Yes it does.....on imported products...absolutely. Prices will go up at Chinamart....although a tariff on foods would be a horrible idea obviously so we shouldn't do that ....but everything else damn near needs to be done. The jobs will never come back and the middle class will never recover.

So it will cost you more to buy a slave labor phone at Chinamart...so what. Go to Chinamart and look at every product you grab and look to see where it is made. Almost everything is made in china. My last trip there, as I looked at the toys...the only thing I found in the toy section made in america was SLINKY. Yes...SLINKY.

DISNEY makes Mickey Mouse in China. Fischer Price makes children toys in China. THEY MAKE AMERICAN FLAGS IN CHINA FOR GOD'S SAKES.

Tariffs is the only way small businesses can compete and create jobs...everything else is going to empower corporations even further and continue the demise of the middle class.

American workers and small business owners need to come together...the real enemy are the transnational corporations and Wall Street that have sold us out.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join