It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can the light saber be made?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by echosounder
I really don't think so, you would have to come up with a way to contain the beam of light using the light itself for containment at the end of the sword.

[edit on 14-6-2004 by echosounder]

Not only that.....you see two swords kling together...you know...they bouns of eachother? So what I try to say is that they are not just beams of light but also have "body".

Besides the enery needed it will not surprise me if it is one day forbidden to buy one in The Netherlands.

EDIT Spelling.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by zatara]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Anything is possible in the future. It will happen one day. Maybe in 20 years maybe 1000, but it will happen. But that’s if we don't destroy ourselves first.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I'd have to say the lightsaber that star wars presents isn't possible. A beam of light wouldn't just arbitrarily stop. Now Michiu Kakku was building a different version of one with plasma and magnets.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrJay1975
I'd have to say the lightsaber that star wars presents isn't possible. A beam of light wouldn't just arbitrarily stop. Now Michiu Kakku was building a different version of one with plasma and magnets.

Assuming a way could be devised to control a beam of light and cause it to refract back to its source, then yes, light can be made to seemingly arbitrarily stop.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Yes,a light saber can be made and its very easy to do so....

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crowned_Conquering
Yes,a light saber can be made and its very easy to do so....

Do you care to expand on that?

I am more interested in making a working X-Wing, A-Wing, Snow Speeder or Speeder Bike . . . but a lightsaber would be cool too.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by angrysniper

Assuming a way could be devised to control a beam of light and cause it to refract back to its source, then yes, light can be made to seemingly arbitrarily stop.

Ahhh but the star warsesque light saber had nothing on the end to cause the refracrion of light back to it's source. Not that I'm aware of anyway. I apologize I was refrencing existing technology rather than hypothetical technology to construct one.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
www.youtube.com... (h)

Someone embed that for me.
Buts its about lightsabers (H)

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mikew21

What's the point?? I plan on using mine to cut firewood

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by angrysniper

Ahhh but the star warsesque light saber had nothing on the end to cause the refracrion of light back to it's source. Not that I'm aware of anyway. I apologize I was refrencing existing technology rather than hypothetical technology to construct one.

No one said anything about a "thing on the end."

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I believe that it could most possibly be made, not now, but somewhere down the track. There are no limits, only obstacles.

posted on Feb, 2 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Its possible I just watched it on the discovery channel. Using nano batteries for power a special plasma related material for the sword to keep the plasma in a 3 ft str8 line. MICHIKO WAS THE SCIENTIST BUT I CANNOT REMEMBER HIS LAST NAME.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
Its possible I just watched it on the discovery channel. Using nano batteries for power a special plasma related material for the sword to keep the plasma in a 3 ft str8 line. MICHIKO WAS THE SCIENTIST BUT I CANNOT REMEMBER HIS LAST NAME.

Michio Kaku

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
The closest you can get is a plasma torch.

[edit on 11-2-2010 by danielknight]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   

This could be done. Check Beam Katana from No More Heroes. The fact that there is a device in the end of the light blade makes it more realistic.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
The most worrying part of a working lightsaber is the fact that the blade will be virtually weightless.
This would throw the balance off the saber quite a bit and it would be pretty hard to do the spins that you see in the films.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I can't believe this is what this forum has come to. I know with technology it could eventually be possible but come on lets discuss something more tangible than a popular cult classic.

I have another great thread idea. Can a pig fly out of my arse literally??

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
A lightsaber is possible. The only thing stopping it is a power source small and light enough to power it for a reasonable amount of time. The blade length is no problem, the answer is found in harmonics of all places. Plus the ability of one blade blocking another is not yet possible. That will require a working Repulser field. And the military is working on that as armor.

All in all the power source is the real hold up.

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
how would the laser of the light saber be limited??

posted on Mar, 6 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
link doesnt work in first post, sounds really intriguing though!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join