It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds shut down nine websites in movie piracy crackdown

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik
What really matters is the law and I think debunky has pointed out that copyright infringment is not theft according to the laws on the books.

Not even close. All debunky has done is tossed a lot of extemporaneous words around to try and confuse an issue of semantics in a poor attempt to justify a crime by renaming it.

I make pretty good money from art that I produce. If you use MY ART in order to deny me profits for my work or profit yourself from my work, you are steeling from me. You can call it "infringement" all you like. Call it an impediment, blockage, interference. Call it anything you like.

I work hard on my products. If you enjoy it for free without my permission, you have stolen from me. You have stolen a chance for me to profit from my hard work and effort. You have stolen a chance for me to feed myself with the money I earned from the work that I did.

Call it anything you want. It is theft.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
That's why I love system of a down so much!!!! Look they tell you to do it!!!!!!!

Steal This Album!

Also you if you read this article, listen to thier songs on youtube...learn a thing or two!!!!!

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson

What really matters is the law and I think debunky has pointed out that copyright infringment is not theft according to the laws on the books.

Not even close. All debunky has done is tossed a lot of extemporaneous words around to try and confuse an issue of semantics in a poor attempt to justify a crime by renaming it.

I make pretty good money from art that I produce. If you use MY ART in order to deny me profits for my work or profit yourself from my work, you are steeling from me. You can call it "infringement" all you like. Call it an impediment, blockage, interference. Call it anything you like.

I work hard on my products. If you enjoy it for free without my permission, you have stolen from me. You have stolen a chance for me to profit from my hard work and effort. You have stolen a chance for me to feed myself with the money I earned from the work that I did.

Call it anything you want. It is theft.

You can call it anything you like but the laws in certain places don't clasify it as such. In these countries you are not entitled to your profit without handing over a hard copy. Digital copies are not physical so not a theft.

You twist it one way and I'll twist it the other but in the end the law where you stand (or sit in our cases) is the last word.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by debunky

Its a fact that i dont have permission
It is also a fact that I am not taking anything
(non rival, non excludable good)

Borrowing? Viewing?

In my opinion - if you are Viewing - - that is an Act of Theft.

That's the problem it's not up to you. Your opinion is just that.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by daskakik]

We'll see. Time will tell.

You sound just like all those who swore Napster would win.

Laws do and have been catching up with technology.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by Annee]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Erm... physical copy or not doesn't enter into it.
IP is a government granted monopoly for a limited time.
Some definitions may use exclusive right, an euphenism for monopoly.
As I said I am not against granting you a monopoly for a limited time.
But that is what it is. A nicetiy by society to support artists. Unfortunately they havent been very gratefull for that. 5 years were too short, 25, 50 150... now they are lobbying for 200!
I think it is enough in concessions. It is time to tell the spoilt child :" do you really want a free market? for a non rival, non excludable good?" Fine by me. But please, for your own sake, run that idea past the RIAA and the MPAA first.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
This is really serious. the governments are moving in and will be taking control of the internet. This is only the start. Mass widespread censorship will follow.

Many of these sites will probably still work. Just remember the FEDs are now operating them.

This comes on top of news that the oill spill is now being officially censored.

www.youtube.com...

BIG BROTHER IS TAKING CONTROL. The game is up folks.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by debunky

Its a fact that i dont have permission
It is also a fact that I am not taking anything
(non rival, non excludable good)

Borrowing? Viewing?

In my opinion - if you are Viewing - - that is an Act of Theft.

That's the problem it's not up to you. Your opinion is just that.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by daskakik]

We'll see. Time will tell.

You sound just like all those who swore Napster would win.

Laws do and have been catching up with technology.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by Annee]

Hehe...
Oh yeah, it did.
The university of rennes did a study on piracy after the hadopi law in france (3 strikes, and you are out)
Result: slight decrease in torrents, increase in DDL and encrypted torrents. All in all net increase.
ISPs in britain say that they rather take the fine than disconnect a customer under the DEA. One of the organisations opposed to the act is MI5. Cause they really dont want to decrypt milions VPNs to find nothing but filesharers.
ACTA dropped the whole 3 strikes bypassing courts and laptop searches at customs idea.
Spain declares filesharing legal, and analoguous to lending books.
Oh, and did you know what happened to the piratebay appeal? wont happen anytime soon. Turns out the judge "forgot" to tell anybody he was a shareholder in 2 copyright protection agencies. Has to be retried.

A serious question to gunderson though: Copyright is limited. In the US to change that you would have to change the constitution. Do you think life of author + 75 years are adeaqutate? Do you support the proposed +90? Less? I say 5 is a good compromise. what say you?

[edit on 3-7-2010 by debunky]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by debunky

My discussion is in reference to the United States only.

I've been on the internet in discussions since ICQ. I know the Internet took off faster and is more complex then most anyone expected. Including Bill Gates.

I know the government is in "catch up" mode when it comes to legal matters on the Internet.

The self entitlement that a person thinks they have the right to another person's work without paying for it - - - bothers me the most. Even more then legalities.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
yea our forums movieplex.org was moved overseas

so we happy for now at least

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I consider piracy a more valiant effort at boycotting.
Lower your prices and I might just go to the theatres.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   

You can call it anything you like but the laws in certain places don't clasify it as such.

Thank you for repeating what I just said and not understanding it. I appreciate your time.

In these countries you are not entitled to your profit without handing over a hard copy. Digital copies are not physical so not a theft.

If you are taking something from me that I am not offering up, that is theft. If you are taking my opportunity to profit from my work....

See how that works?

You twist it one way and I'll twist it the other but in the end the law where you stand (or sit in our cases) is the last word.

Not really. Come to my home and try and take my stuff without my permission. It will be interesting to see which of us reaches for the law first.

Stuff includes any opportunity to profit from my work, retaining original, hard copy, or none.

[edit on 4-7-2010 by K J Gunderson]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo

Valiant effort at boycotting???? Are you serious? You are all the worst example of hypocrites I have ever seen. You are all bashing Hollywood and the music industry in every fashion possible but your only method at which you can find to express that disgust is to CONTINUE TO EAT UP THEIR CRAP.

Look, if you want it, buy it.

If it is not worth the money, why the hell do you want it at all?

How many of you pay MORE than the asking price for anything voluntarily? Anyone?

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Valiant effort at boycotting???? Are you serious? You are all the worst example of hypocrites I have ever seen. You are all bashing Hollywood and the music industry in every fashion possible but your only method at which you can find to express that disgust is to CONTINUE TO EAT UP THEIR CRAP.

How many of you pay MORE than the asking price for anything voluntarily? Anyone?

Is the only way you value something through money? I like the music hollywood produces, I just don't like to support corporate greed and overpriced music.
Thanks for attacking me for stating my opinion though, I wonder where your interests lie.
Hollywood isn't producing crap, they're producing good movies(well not lately) and good music, I just don't like to pay grossly inflated prices for those products.

[edit on 4-7-2010 by hippomchippo]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   

reply to post by debunky

My discussion is in reference to the United States only.

I've been on the internet in discussions since ICQ. I know the Internet took off faster and is more complex then most anyone expected. Including Bill Gates.

I know the government is in "catch up" mode when it comes to legal matters on the Internet.

The self entitlement that a person thinks they have the right to another person's work without paying for it - - - bothers me the most. Even more then legalities.

copyright law has to be international. British printers found that out in the 18th century, when their monopoly was simply ignored by scottish and irish printers. Thats why we had the bern convention at the end of the 19th century.
What happens in other countries is relevant in this context.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Is the only way you value something through money? I like the music hollywood produces, I just don't like to support corporate greed and overpriced music.
Thanks for attacking me for stating my opinion though, I wonder where your interests lie.
Hollywood isn't producing crap, they're producing good movies(well not lately) and good music, I just don't like to pay grossly inflated prices for those products.

Hey, forget CDs.

Those 25cent packs of gums are OVERPRICED. What are they trying to do to me, really? Break my pockets open?

Seriously, it's not that the CDs are overpriced. It's you.

You'd be looking for stuff to complain about and reason into theft no matter if you made 30k a year or 300k a year.

Why do you think so many people get paid minimum wage by large companies like wal-mart? Their CEOs are complaining about the cost of employing people, just like you are about CDs.

You are no better than those greedy bastards. The sooner you realize it, the better.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces

Hey, forget CDs.

Those 25cent packs of gums are OVERPRICED. What are they trying to do to me, really? Break my pockets open?

You'd be looking for stuff to complain about and reason into theft no matter if you made 30k a year or 300k a year.

Why do you think so many people get paid minimum wage by large companies like wal-mart? Their CEOs are complaining about the cost of employing people, just like you are about CDs.

You are no better than those greedy bastards. The sooner you realize it, the better.

No, cds cost less than 50 cents to create.
Millions of copies are produced within hours.
They are charging up to 40 dollars for a CD.
That is grossly overpriced no matter how you try to spin it.
I like how you claim to know what I would complain about though and claim all I want to do is thieve things that people usually pay for.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   

I like how you claim to know what I would complain about though and claim all I want to do is thieve things that people usually pay for.

You are aware that what is on those CD cost a great deal of money to create, produce, and package, right?

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by evil incarnate

You are aware that what is on those CD cost a great deal of money to create, produce, and package, right?

Really? Is it worth the 40 dollars profit they receive for every single sale?
And how much of that goes to the people who produced the material on the CD?

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces

Hey, forget CDs.

What I'm getting from you is this: If the creator names a price on their product, and you do not agree with it, then it is ethical to steal it.

How do you feel about people stealing your work, based solely on the fact that they believe you are charging too much? If you paint a wonderful painting, and someone copies it and distributes it to everyone are you okay with not making a profit from those copies considering painting is how you support your family?

If you have your house for sale for 150k, but I think that is too much, would you think it was fair game for me to steal it from you?

XL5

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
To compare it to stealing gum, you would need a device that copies that gum and does not alter that gum. Otherwise its not a fair comparison.

Its like veggies and fruits, they have seeds and thus we can pick the seeds out of a watermellon and copy it. Funny thing is, theres a company who makes profit by genetically altering it so it will not produce seeds and thus, not let you copy it. If some one were to find a way around the genetically moddified veggies and fruit and denied this company profit, would any one really care? I think not.

VHS beats beta.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join