It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obesity Rates Jump in 28 States, Report Shows

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Obesity Rates Jump in 28 States, Report Shows

news.yahoo.com

TUESDAY, June 29 (HealthDay News) -- Americans are continuing to get fat, with obesity rates nudging upwards in 28 states over the past year, a new report shows.
"More than two-thirds of states now have adult obesity rates above 25 percent," Jeff Levi, executive director of the Trust for America's Health, said during a Tuesday news conference. "Back in 1991, not that long ago, not a single state had an obesity rate above 20 percent. There's been a dramatic change in a relatively short period."
"
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
The economy is going down and people are still getting bigger?

I do have to disclose that I have had a weight problem. Stories like this interest me for that reason. I was up to 215 pounds at 5'7 at my largest. I lost 80 pounds and maintained by weight around 135 pounds. It wasn't exactly easy to lose all that weight at first. Once i got started it was very simple though. I never touch soda anymore or while flours, starches etc. I still do eat cake or cookies from time to time, but I make them myself.

It's funny that we always find something to blame for the problem. Poverty, genes, what's in the food etc. A lot of people have no idea what they are eating. I think that is the main problem. Then you are have people who know but are just loathe to change. Either way, we are looking at a lot of hefty folks in the country these days. I wonder what the implications will be for health care. Some say prices will skyrocket, but if they live shorter lives then I'm not certain prices will go up.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Economy is down. 1$ double cheeseburgers. No one is making money. Make the connections. DUH. people have this "west/south coast" ideals of what america is like. Hollywood and cowboys. Mi is broke middle class industrialist. The ghettos are consumed with mcdonalds, checkers and white castle. I do not blame our eating. I blame the gov

[edit on 30-6-2010 by Jordan River]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

The 20% of obese had kids who are also surprise surprise obese.
Those kids have grown up and contributed to the present adult obesity statistic.

Far too many people also have a skewed perception of what is healthy, yes a diet rich in fruits and vegetables will help to reduce obesity but not when they are covered in cheese sauce and gravy or baked into pie and served ice cream.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
Economy is down. 1$ double cheeseburgers. No one is making money. Make the connections. DUH.

Nope, still not working. See, you can get a double cheeseburger under 500 calories. Ever seen that book "Eat this, Not that"? Most of the time it has more to do with how much someone eats opposed to what exactly they eat. Most people have no idea how much they eat. There's not much excuse for it considering several states require calorie counts to be disclosed on menus. You can even get on the internet now and see the nutritional content in the food at most major fast food restaurant sites.

You want to save yourself some pounds? Just get the cheeseburger, say no to the fries and soda. Just drink water and eat some fruit when you get home. Fresh produce is not that expensive. I'm not rich and I can afford it.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by antonia]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
more Bang for the buck. Also, I'm sure many people eat this throughout the week. I'm pretty sure. I remember I use too. Have you ever ate one? those things are like lead but surly may not fill someone who is use to that sort of food. Little local organic food in detroit. bang for the buck

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I remember a time when obesity was not the norm - you would see an over weight person now and then. Now I see many people with weight problems. Entire families - Mom, Dad and kids. When I see a young child that is over weight and can't do what most kids do I find that very sad. I blame a lot of it on fast foods, people are busy and just grab what is convenient. If you don't want to cook then at least have something on hand that is easy but healthy.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

Originally posted by Jordan River
Economy is down. 1$ double cheeseburgers. No one is making money. Make the connections. DUH.

Most of the time it has more to do with how much someone eats opposed to what exactly they eat. Most people have no idea how much they eat.

Because when you do eat junk food it is so nutritionally inadequate it leaves you hungry,since obtaining nutrition is why we eat.It leaves our body confused, the stomach is full yet nutritional requirements have not been satisfied the body responds by resending the hunger signal so what do people do? EAT MORE JUNK.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I think this is sick. There's a billion people out there who are going undernourished, yet the U.S. problem is obesity. I heard a tidbit some time ago that if everyone ate as the average American we'd need roughly four earths worth of food resources to get by! Eating meat in particular is most energy intensive. Some people are carrying pounds of extra weight in parasites and fungi like candida. People need to ween off all HFCS, white flour, white sugar, and processed foods. Ya know, it's not really more expensive to make your own meals for the family over taking them to Mcdonalds. If people just spent a little time to cook a basic healthy meal this would probably not be an issue.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
These reports are just setting the groundwork so that the government can throw numbers at us when they step in and tell us it's their duty to make us healthy. In high school I got down to 115 pounds as a male at 5'6. My physician claimed that I was overweight then.

Don't buy the hype.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
My bmi is 200. and I am 240. I'm happy where I am at. I work out, exercise, body building.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by mumma in pyjamas

Because when you do eat junk food it is so nutritionally inadequate it leaves you hungry,since obtaining nutrition is why we eat.It leaves our body confused, the stomach is full yet nutritional requirements have not been satisfied the body responds by resending the hunger signal so what do people do? EAT MORE JUNK.

Of course it's junk, but calories in, calories is out is still the basic premise. You are going to feel like crap but you will lose weight. If you burn more than you take in you lose weight. I don't recommend you eat nothing but junk though. That's assuming you don't go on crazy binges though. The thing here is most people who eat junk aren't likely to be thinking about what they put into themselves anyway. It's all a moot point in the end. People like that don't worry about their weight.

more Bang for the buck. Also, I'm sure many people eat this throughout the week. I'm pretty sure. I remember I use too. Have you ever ate one? those things are like lead but surly may not fill someone who is use to that sort of food.

Yes I have eaten it. I don't eat it anymore but I did lose weight and stop at Burger King now and again. I'd always get the Jr with no cheese or mayo, no fries, no soda. A lot of this is about will power. You have to be disciplined to lose weight.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
A good portion of cheap foods are bad for you (yes that usually includes things you can cook at home). to have a balanced diet you need produce, but that's expensive so many people avoid purchasing much of it.

Eating unhealthy is MUCH cheaper than eating healthy, so it shouldn't surprise us that the economy has spurred some people to be a bit more lax with their diets.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Personally, I believe America has been focusing on the wrong problem to stop the childhood epidemic of obsesity that is all over the news. When I was growing up, things were very different than they are now.

1) I had PE 5 days a week for an hour a day, plus recess, plus after school activities.

My children have PE 1.5 times a week (3 days every other week). School does not offer any after school activities such as soccer, etc. Recess is 30 minutes a day right after lunch... which is served at 10:30am.

Another school in my area had a student organized after school running club. They had a single teacher particpate (since they needed an advisor). However, it was cancelled because the school said they couldn't have the liability if a student got hurt during a sanctioned school event. However, the kids still do it - the teacher was told not to.

2) Schools all over are cutting programs that are not directly related to the CSAP or other related tests. Got to love the "No kid left behind" program.

3) Parents are afraid to let their kids play outside. There is very few kids riding bikes anymore - parents drive the 2 blocks to take their kids to school because fear is a motivator.

In summary, I think the problem is lack of physical activity more than anything else. Fix that problem, and you will see the others disappear really fast.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
It is more convenient. I am addicted to fast food but I have cut significantly. I like hamburgers, pizza and fries. Although it is about portion control. Average person I have seen in my neck of the woods gets carry out 3 times a week. this involves pizza and Chinese. Do you know how bad Chinese is for you? Dinners consist of finding food for yourself and what is around. Some dinners are frozen (bad for you). Boxed meals, carbs carbs carbs. Potatoes with every meal and a side of veggys

BTW I have losted 30 pounds

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by FinalSonicX

Eating unhealthy is MUCH cheaper than eating healthy, so it shouldn't surprise us that the economy has spurred some people to be a bit more lax with their diets.

No it is not. The problem is most of you only think in terms of one meal. A bag of carrots is not one meal. A box of mushrooms is going to be more than one meal. I spend 200 dollars about every two weeks on food (I'm married). If i just ate out every day, well let's do the math here. Let's assume i hit the dollar menu and get two items. 2.20 (adding tax) right? That would be 92.4 for four days. Here's the problem, most people don't order that. They order the value meal. The value meal is normally about 4 bucks right? That's 168 for two weeks. Now here's the other issue, you assume one only eats three times a day. No, most people normally eat 4, 3 large meals and 1 small one. So dollar menu time is 112 for two weeks, value menu time is 224. We are assuming someone only eats outside of the house. You are going to have to figure gas into that equation as well. Then we have to figure the average family is not one person as I calculated for. We are also assuming the people in question buy nothing to store in their houses.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I might get taco bell value meal for 2$. Damn you value!!!!!! damn you

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

Originally posted by mumma in pyjamas

Of course it's junk, but calories in, calories is out is still the basic premise.

Absolutely that is the formula but there are not enough hours in the day for many biggins to burn the amount of calories they have consumed.And after the stomach has been stretched beyond it's intended size by responding to false junk food induced hunger signals, being able to maintain a reasonable input output level becomes harder.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

If you can make 100 dollars feed you and your husband for a week, then I need you to come do my shopping for me. 6-7 years ago I could do the same, but prices these days at the grocery store unless I eat spaghetti every night and no lunch/dinner then I'm going way over 100 bucks a week to feed 2 people.

I've done price comparisons, and for me it's actually about the same price to eat out. I do make halfway decent food choices though. Deli sandwiches instead of cheeseburgers, salads, ect.

Edit to add:

I see how you do it now. TN has the lowest food prices I've ever seen by far. I lived there not too long ago around the knoxville area. The IGA's there were dirt cheap. Now that I'm in SC I can't make 200 dollars a week feed me + one with healthy choices.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by PayMeh]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by mumma in pyjamas

Even good for you food will make you fat if you eat too much of it. I live in one of the number 2 fat states in the country (TN). Trust me, most of the people I know have no idea what they are putting in themselves or how much they are eating. It's kind of superfluous to argue about the kind of food they eat. A lot of them just eat too much freaking food period.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join