It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obesity Rates Jump in 28 States, Report Shows

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I think it has to do with the sandwich. it would seem that people like sandwiches a lot in america and the meaty carbs are probably the downfall of our health. Salads are great too but ppl perfer sandwiches. IMO of course.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by PayMeh
reply to post by antonia

If you can make 100 dollars feed you and your husband for a week, then I need you to come do my shopping for me. 6-7 years ago I could do the same, but prices these days at the grocery store unless I eat spaghetti every night and no lunch/dinner then I'm going way over 100 bucks a week to feed 2 people.

Where do you live? The cost of living where I am at is fairly low still. A lot of people should seriously consider moving if it's too expensive to live in a given area.

I think it has to do with the sandwich. it would seem that people like sandwiches a lot in america and the meaty carbs are probably the downfall of our health. Salads are great too but ppl perfer sandwiches. IMO of course.

You can lose a bit of weight by just eating a sandwich open faced actually. Salads can be just as bad depending on what you put on em'

[edit on 30-6-2010 by antonia]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I edited my last post when I saw where you lived.. please go back and look at that.. =)

Edit to add:

TN is by far has the lowest food prices. I envy you because I wish I still lived there.. =P The reality is that the prices you pay for anything is not the norm. My vehicle taxes doubled when I moved, and everything else pretty much doubled too.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by PayMeh]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by PayMeh
reply to post by antonia

I've done price comparisons, and for me it's actually about the same price to eat out. I do make halfway decent food choices though. Deli sandwiches instead of cheeseburgers, salads, ect.

Here in Australia we also have one of the biggest proportions of obesity,and yet eating out here is by far more expensive.Value mels are 6.95 - 9.95 depending on burger chosen.Pizzas are $8.95 - $25 depending on shop.KFC $8.95 - $12.95 for a meal.
Our exchange rate is between 85 -92 cents on your dollar, times dictating.

YET we rival USA in obesity stakes so even when prices are high people still get obese.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mumma in pyjamas

I think it has more to do with the additives they put in everything tbh. They keep jumping up and down about sodium here and how we eat too much, but they never stop to blame the meat corps who inject sodium solutions into the meat to pump up the weight.

I don't know about you guys, but here we have the FDA who strangle local farmers. We can't have fresh unpasteurized milk or cheeses and we can't cure our own meats. I'd rather have those things than chemically processed, genetically modified, pumped full of steroids, irradiated produce and meats.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

See, that's why I don't think it's the economy. Mississippi is the poorest state in the union, the cost of living is low, yet it's still the fattest state. Tennessee is no 2, the cost of living is low. I think it's pure choice. People just choose to eat like crap.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
I think this is sick. There's a billion people out there who are going undernourished, yet the U.S. problem is obesity.

The kicker is that even in the US many of these obese people themselves are undernourished. They are fat, but they are not getting the nutrition they need.

I personally think that the obesity problem is not a "one cause" issue. And that "one cause" is certainly not that people are just lazy and eat too much. I myself eat like a horse, I can and have consumed probably twice as much in calories as the average person and I have been a good normal weight my entire life. And I am talking pints of Haagen Daz icecream here, people, on top the rest of the food I have had that day. By all rights I should be fat. Im not.

I also have pets, and one of them eats scraps from the table, treats, whatever they want, and they are slim, and my fat one eats only her food, in the metered amounts I give her, and she is active. And still fat.

I personally have a strong interest in the idea that is gaining ground in medical circles that a virus may be partially responsible.

www.scientificamerican.com...

New study results bolster the controversial hypothesis that certain cases of obesity are contagious. Over the last 20 years, some research has suggested that certain strains of human and avian adenoviruses--responsible for ailments ranging from the chest colds to pink eye--actually make individuals build up more fat cells. Having antibodies to one strain in particular, so-called Ad-36, proved to correlate with the heaviest obese people, and in one study, pairs of twins differed in heft depending on exposure to that virus. Now researchers have identified another strain of adenovirus that makes chickens plump.

How they theorize this works is that the body infected with this virus makes large numbers of fat cells. The immune system does come in and kill off the virus, but the damage is done in terms of weight. The fat cells are there, and they want to be be filled with fat. This drives appetite, etc., etc.

www.reuters.com...

Dr. Magdalena Pasarica, who led the study, obtained adult stem cells from fat tissue of people who had undergone liposuction. Stem cells are a type of master cell that exist in an immature form and give rise to more specialized cells.

Half of the stem cells were exposed to the virus Ad-36. After a week, most of the infected stem cells developed into fat cells, while the uninfected cells were unchanged.

Pasarica presented her findings at a meeting of the American Chemical Society in Boston.

"The virus appears to change their commitment to a fat storing cell," Dhurandhar said, adding that Ad-36 is just one of 10 pathogens linked to obesity and that more may be out there.

My pet with the weight problem DID have a sickly youth, while the thinner one did not. This sort of a theory could also explain why with a nose diving economy, more people are becoming obese. You immune system becomes less effective when stressed.

Its unlikely to end up being the sole cause, there is not likely to BE a sole cause. But I certainly dont buy the whole "you just eat too much" argument either. I know exactly what I feed my pets, and one just stays fat, regardless of the fact that she eats significantly less.

Edit to add second link and quote.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
healthyamericans.org...

So far CO seems to be the leanest state. When the hubby & I first moved here we both lost weight without even trying.

We both went to work at a ski area with a base elevation of 9000 ft. I had a baby before we moved, I lost that weight and then some. My hubby had been laid off for a while before the move and had packed on 25 lbs. He lost it all. We have stayed slim with no real effort. Just lots of activity and very little eating out. We live in a remote area so restaurants are limited. Imo it's the altitude. With less oxygen our bodies work harder and burn up more calories.

Restaurants are a huge contributor. Not only are there hidden calories in restaurant foods the portions are out of control. When I go into a restaurant I look at the food coming out of the kitchen. When I see platters being used for single servings I know I'm in trouble. I can't eat the "truckers" platter. It's not fair I feel cheated in restaurants. Unless I can eat the gluttonous amounts of food served I'm limited to side dishes or the kids menu. I don't feel right about wasting food and packing it home isn't always an option.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I can't pay this report any attention.

We were recently told my 5 year old is "obese". The boy is not even overweight, much less obese. But thats what the school nurse told us. We were warned to take appropriate steps to ensure his health, I believe she gave some sort of veiled threat to his mother.

I think the standards for judging appropriate weight should change, and as I understand it many people have stated the same things in regards to the BMI.

Here's a picture of the fatty, I blocked his face out though...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7cbfa7306924.jpg[/atsimg]

I'm not saying theres not alot of fatties out there. But I still think the standards need to be revamped, especially if my child is considered obese.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

That is a saddest part of the whole article, that most of the obese are children, raising the problems of a new wave of youth high blood pressure and diabetes that were until about 40 years ago unheard off unless it was genetically and disease linked.

Sad, sad news.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I'm curious about the percentage of "obese" Americans that are on anti depressants.

I myself used to hold a normal weight of 190lbs (which is normal for me being 6' and just generally big). However, after my doctor put me on Cymbalta, I gained a disgusting 50+lbs in a year.

I have been trying without success to lose the weight. So I wonder, with America being the most medicated country in the world (my own opinion), can this too be contributing to the obesity of the country?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DerekJR321

Interesting that you ask about that, the answer is in front of our eyes.

Most if not all of diabetes, high blood pressure and antidepressants will make you gain weight, raise your fat and bad cholesterol among many unpleasant side effects.

Then to fight some of the side effects you will be given more drugs that will be more side effects.

That is how big pharma is milking the nations health care system and the pockets of Americans.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by marg6043]

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: antonia

Because we no longer need to except use. It is purely voluntary..

People pretend like dieting is hard.. it isn’t.

You ingest X amount of calories, you must do Y amount of exercise to burn off X amount of calories..

It is exactly that simple

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Do those things raise your weight, or do people who take them gain weight??

Correlation is not causation..

If you get on one of those pharmaceuticals and exercise enough to burn the calories you ingest..

You don’t gain weight..

The problem is that at most occupations and in our private lives we get zero exercise..

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Our way of eating currently being pushed by the so-called experts does not jive at all with the reality of life for the average American. We are still being sold the notion of eating lots of whole grains (carbs) and lots of fresh fruit (sugar) and then wondering why we are fat? Its because unless you live an extremely active lifestyle with a job that has you burning off those carbohydrates you will almost never shed the weight if you keep following the suggested MyPlate portions. Most people work semi-sedentary office jobs or other undemanding roles which to not adequately utilize carbohydrates as an energy source.

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   
If one ever watches TV all you see’s is FOOD, FOOD, AND MORE FOOD!

So what do we expect?

You're being brainwashed to eat eat and eat.

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Added sugars and the fact that carbohydrates are the cheapest way to fill full might also be a culprit.

It's almost impossible to get away from these two factors.

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I was at 190 a little over a year ago. Now I'm at 145 on my way down to around 140ish.

We cook most of our food from scratch. When we buy, we get the stuff with the fewest ingredients on the label and avoid sugar on the label.

Get a bit of exercise.

Drop soda.

Portion control! Even the healthiest stuff will make you fat if you don't control the amount you eat. So at that point, feeling full is about eating smart. Some stuff is healthy but not very filling.

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
Added sugars and the fact that carbohydrates are the cheapest way to fill full might also be a culprit.

It's almost impossible to get away from these two factors.

Exactly, wheat is super cheap to grow, and the new Frankenstein wheat they modified back in the 50’s called semi dwarf wheat is super bad. Research Wheat Belly. Wheat is added to everything, HFCS, sugars are in pretty much every ingredient on any box with a label as well.

There is very little education given about nutrition to our kids and young adults, when’s the last college degree program that required any semester hours on heathy eating, besides Phys Ed.

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Bottom of the hour ATS doublepost...
edit on 21-5-2019 by 38181 because: Double post

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join