It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N.Y. Congressman: 'Thousands and Thousands to Die From Oil Clean-up Alone'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   

In my other thread I discussed the dangers of the chemical dispersants (most notably Corexit) used in the gulf.

In this video Jerrold Nadler shares his concerns over the use of dispersants and the possibility of thousands of deaths as a result of the clean up operation alone.

[edit on 29/6/10 by LiveForever8]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
great post... I'm gonna link your thread to my own if thats ok. I created one dealing with the casualties of cleaanup workers on the Exxon Valdez oil disaster. its a good example (of a much more insignificant spill) for whats to come.

here's the link to my thread. it ties in to what you're trying to show...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

BTW feel free to embed the vid if you want to.. my thread is kinda dying out so it would do more good here...

[edit on 29/6/2010 by faceoff85]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
The sad part is that there's enough poor people out there who would gladly take this job for 7.50$/hour.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Everyone must know "in their heart of hearts" that the use of corexit is a disaster.

It is also symbolic of the faulty corporate mentality that is dictating all our lives.

Within the corporate mentality is "sabotoging" - it is a normal everyday weapon. And should not be discounted given Halliburton's presence on the rig prior to the explosion.
A company used to gaining no bid contracts in the business of war.

This video peruses the act of sabotage within the corporate norm
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by morrr
Everyone must know "in their heart of hearts" that the use of corexit is a disaster.

It is also symbolic of the faulty corporate mentality that is dictating all our lives.

Within the corporate mentality is "sabotoging" - it is a normal everyday weapon. And should not be discounted given Halliburton's presence on the rig prior to the explosion.
A company used to gaining no bid contracts in the business of war.

Perhaps. Except that there are numerous reports floating about that show that BP knew there were problems with the well as early as MArch, maybe earlier.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by trolleleet
The sad part is that there's enough poor people out there who would gladly take this job for 7.50$/hour.

They aren't paying that kind of money, are they? That's what baby sitters make per hour these days. That's what Americans pay the illegal humans to pick, prepare, and serve their food for them. They must be paying them at least $8.00 an hour.
Drop one of them mercury contaminated florescent light bulbs on the ground somewhere and an environmental clean-up agency will probably charge you that much per minute for clean-up and decontamination services.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by justadood

I 2nd that... in fact I did a thread on that as well

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

But they arent actually 'cleaning up', they are collecting BP's oil for them, and providing props for phto-ops. I suspect 7.50 is as much as BP can afford to pay and make the collection of the crude profitable.

these guys should gather the oil and sell it back to BP.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Sorry but I am quite ignorant to the supplies and equipment of those doing the cleanup, but surely they would all be wearing Hazmat suits, gloves, boots and respirator masks?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by faceoff85

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Tue Jun 29 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

As residents in South Louisiana continue to see their livelihoods held hostage to BP's failed efforts to plug the oil leak on the floor of the Gulf of Mexico, they are also growing increasingly anxious about the broader health hazards posed by the oil spill and efforts to contain it. BP has been using toxic chemical dispersants to break up the oil in Gulf waters — and cleanup workers are falling ill on the job, with nine of them so far needing to be hospitalized.

So far, BP officials have resisted taking certain precautionary measures to safeguard the workers from exposure to environmental hazards on the job. Some critics of the oil giant have suggested that BP officials don't want images of masked cleanup workers in the Gulf flooding the nightly news — which would be a potent visual suggestion that the waters are becoming too toxic for direct human contact. But BP spokespeople continue to insist that air quality in the region of the spill is fine and that cleanup workers don't need to wear masks.

"We haven't provided respirators or masks because all the environmental data shows the air is safe," BP spokesman Graham MacEwen told Yahoo! News. - news.yahoo.com...

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Tue Jun 29 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Jesus, all I can say really. Would you trust these guys though? You can get full protective equipment off ebay fairly cheap. BP do absolutely nothing to repair their awful image. Their disregard for everything is sickening. If I lived in the area I would get some people together and get these bad boys;

cgi.ebay.co.uk...# ht_1721wt_1137

You might look pretty damn scary but you would be well protected. Of course BP have probably already thought of this and actively prevent individuals taking it upon themselves to help clean up.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I would recommend that Congressman Nadler schedule a sit-down with his lord and saviour, President Obama.

We know if anyone can fix it, it's Obama.

If the SHTF, and Nadler's family has to resort to cannibalism, he could keep them healthy for a while off the fat on his NECK. (Sorry, couldn't help myself there)

[edit on 29-6-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

Do you know how the gov't handled the time running up to huricane katrina? have you seen the movie 2012? Even though its a movie I am absolutely positive these 2 examples give us a good insight on how the gov't handles these events... they will either outright let you die or they'll keep a lid on things until they simply CANT keep quiet about the dangers and then you'l have martial law and we'll see millions of people stuffed into those FEMA-camps.

Everything to prevent mass-panic and anarchy... check my signature... In a couple years time it will/should be the slogan of all the people of this world....
we need to stand up for our own family caus the government sure as hell aint gonna come and save your kids for you....

@OP

If I could I would have emdedded that video myself so thnx for the effort... I think it ties in quite neatly to your thread.

[edit on 29/6/2010 by faceoff85]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
This guy is a fear monger.

He does not represent the area and has no interest.

He just wanted a moment in the spot light,some free campaigning.

He must be running for re-election.

More Americans will die this year at the hands of a illegal criminals from Mexico than from the effects of this incident,but of course the liberal media will never report that.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oneolddude
More Americans will die this year at the hands of a illegal criminals from Mexico than from the effects of this incident...

Now who's the fear monger?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Good for him! He's listening and thinking because thinking people aren't buying that Corexit is "safe," not when combined with other chemicals both from the leak and on land...and certainly not in the quantities being used here.

Any word on what the response has been? Has the MSM picked up on this?

Any new numbers on the amount of dispersants used so far?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I've not seen anything pertaining his specific statement in the MSM, so far.

As for the dispersants:

Roughly five million liters of dispersants have now been used to break up the oil spilling into the Gulf of Mexico, making this the largest use of such chemicals in U.S. history.

If it continues for 10 months, as long as Mexico's Ixtoc 1 blowout in 1979 in the same region, the Macondo well disaster has a good chance of achieving the largest global use of these chemicals, surpassing 10 million liters. - www.scientificamerican.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
That's pretty crazy at any rate.. the lack of protective gear.

I work for an environmental company, and we cannot do even the most simple of cleanup work without plenty of protection. I'm more surprised at that than anything... that no one is stepping in and forcing them to use proper equipment during cleanup.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join