It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetically-Modified Salmon Will be First GM Animal Available for Human Consumption

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Well this is interesting news. If GM fruits and veggies were not enough we are now about to move into the era of GM animals available for consumption!

Genetically modified salmon could be on supermarket shelves within a year.

Usually Atlantic salmon do not grow during the winter and take three years to fully mature. A salmon that grows at twice the normal rate is set to be the first genetically modified (GM) animal available for human consumption.

But by implanting genetic material from an eel-like species called ocean pout that grows all year round, US scientists have managed to make the fish grow to full size in 18 months.

They hope that the sterile GM salmon can offer an efficient and safe way to breed salmon in fish farms, so that the wild fish can be left in the oceans.

US watchdog the Food and Drug Administration is currently considering whether the GM Atlantic salmon, called AquAdvantage, is safe to eat. The fish could be on supermarket shelves within a year.

But environmental campaigners question whether the GM material is safe for humans to consume and fear the sterile salmon will mutate in the wild and be able to breed.

At the moment only GM crops like corn or soy are available for human consumption. Also the Daily Telegraph revealed recently that most animal products available in supermarkets, like meat, eggs or dairy, are from livestock fed GM.

www.impactlab.com...-57338
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/de2390951388.jpg[/atsimg]

Hmm this is interested mixing eel DNA with salmon DNA... I think the concerns about these fish getting into the wild and repopulating is a concern worth thinking about among other things. I wonder how people will react to being fed GM animals.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Mmmm... Chemical X.

What will they think of next! "Let's just make an animal that's half fat, half tenderloin and all butter, can we do that?" "Yes sir we can do that." "DO IT NOW"

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I am never eating these.

I love salmon and this is a crime. A crime against good taste and the human palette.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by depth om
Mmmm... Chemical X.

What will they think of next! "Let's just make an animal that's half fat, half tenderloin and all butter, can we do that?" "Yes sir we can do that." "DO IT NOW"

You forgot the Bacon!

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Very interesting indeed. This can not be any worse than actual Atlantic salmon. For those of you who do not know Atlantic salmon are not wild they are farm raised, they call them Atlantic, so people will not know it is not wild. And Atlantic salmon do not naturally have pink meat either. The farmers have to feed the salmon red dye to the pellet food to make it look pink.

Now mix this already mutant with an eel? That will be one mutant fish. If you would call it a fish.

If they can make fish grow it 18 months, could they eventually make a human grow to adult in 18 months? hmm, interesting indeed.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by wiredamerican]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TV_Nation

Originally posted by depth om
Mmmm... Chemical X.

You forgot the Bacon!

"sir bacon 2 is complete" "destroy it immediately, the world is not ready for it"

seriously though, this is disgusting to me, and in my opinion is the extreme tip of a horrendous iceberg. I hope this doesn't become so commonplace to the point where ALL foods are tampered with. Though that would be par for the course when it comes to things like this. Anything to make money, save money, all the while doing who knows what to our biological structures, and like you said the whole damn food chain/ecosystem.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Here's another article of it:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I just had to reply again.

Atlantic farmed genetically modified salmon are raised in ocean pens. Huge circular cages that the fish swim around the circle for their entire lives.

Sometimes these pens get holes and atlantic salmon can mix with wild salmon.

If these salmon are genetically modified and breed with wild salmon, surly the gene would pass on to the entire wild salmon population eventually.

So then all salmon of the species wild and not wild will be doomed to get big fast.

This could very well be a conspiracy to turbo boost the wild salmon industry as well I think.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
no thanks i will rather die then eat one of the fakes

but you know what the rich always have better food then us.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I love grilled salmon and eat it several times a week.

Anything that is safe and will make more available to the public has my support.

Anything that makes salmon cheaper can only be a good thing, too.

Bring 'em on!

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up. I've read that despite it being cleared for human consumption people have problems with GM crops. I find it disgusting and too far for prophets. I don't want GM anything let alone fish! So tired of the garbage they pass off as food.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
If it looks like a salmon, by golly, it's gotta be a salmon! Bigger is better, right? But I thought people are supposed to go on a diet, not get fatter on food that's getting bigger! But I guess that means less harvesting on smaller-sized foodstuff: More bang for the bucks, I suppose.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

I have to argue with you on that one I'm afraid; I live on the Atlantic coast of Canada and I assure you that the Atlantic Salmon very much exists in the wild.

I personally have fished them as a kid AND studied them as a Biology student while in university in addition to having friends who have/do work in the industry.

There may be a scam in your particular area where someone is trying to pass a fish off as something it is not in order to make some money. Atlantic salmon is usually quite expensive (even in this area) and the meat IS different because of the colder Atlantic waters that it lives in.

ETA...

(I can't believe I forgot to mention this)

There is an on-going dispute in my very community about the impact a river crossing is having on the migratory patterns of Atlantic Salmon. After more than a decade of fighting changes are being made to prevent the extinction of the Salmon from our particular river.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by [davinci]]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Redwookieaz

Yep, the FDA deemed the entire process of genetic alteration as "safe", so the biotech companies don't need to submit each individual GM food for approval. But it's all good, we all know the FDA is looking out for public health.

Well, MOST of the time. You know, 6/10 or so.

Conspiracy to make Hamsters furrier?

After feeding hamsters for two years over three generations, those on the GM diet, and especially the group on the maximum GM soy diet, showed devastating results. By the third generation, most GM soy-fed hamsters lost the ability to have babies. They also suffered slower growth, and a high mortality rate among the pups.

And if this isn't shocking enough, some in the third generation even had hair growing inside their mouths—a phenomenon rarely seen, but apparently more prevalent among hamsters eating GM soy.

Seriously, you can't make this stuff up. Not only smaller, deformed organs, 100% sterile by the 3rd generation, but... HAIR IN THEIR MOUTHS?

Keep in mind, 90% of all soy in the US is genetically modified.
80+% of all corn is genetically modified.
An unknown (probably 50+%) of milk is treated with a genetically modified hormone - literally pumped with the stuff - that of course makes them deathly ill. Sometimes the milk is more puss and bacteria than milk.

Just these three , alone, means that about 99% of the US food supply is loaded with food that is so poisonous that it makes our organs fail and hair grow in our mouths. FDA approved, 100% legal!

[edit on 29-6-2010 by Son of Will]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

that is all fine and dandy. i don't eat farm raised seafood. You ever see what they feed those fish?

If you like salmon, get a fillet of farm raised, and a fillet of wild...you will taste the difference. The farm raised is gross, overly fishy, the texture lacks the oils, and the color is not right (it is light pink when raw, instead of a dark red).

Nope, i don't eat farm raised fish.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
If we really cared about the fish and wanted to raise them in an ecological and ethical friendly way here's one fine example how it can be done...

Genetically modified anything is the practice of greed and corruption. How is shooting genes with a gene gun predictable and safe in any way? How can they predict the effects of an entire life time? People need to wake up to this raping of nature because of corporate greed. It's funny it must take a disaster for people to do so.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by broli]

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

There was a time when a person wanted fish they would go to the lake and throw in some bait attached to a fishing line. Then we evolved and started putting fish, like tuna, in cans. Now scientists want us to make one more step, they want us to eat genetically modified salmon.

Is it safe? That is the question.

Genetically modified fish used to be the domain of cartoons like the Simpsons, remember the three eyed fish.

Now it may be coming to your dinner plate. That is if Congress and the FDA approve it. The genetically modified fish comes from a company called AquAdvantage. They take genetic material from an ocean pout, an eel like fish and a Chinook salmon, and mix it up to create a fish that grows twice as fast.

Of course if this salmon is approved they won’t stop there. Maybe in the near future when I go through the drive thru at a fish and chips restaurant I will have no choice but to be given genetically modified fish in general.

And will they stop at fish? They will probably move onto pigs and cows. Scientists in Ontario, Canada want the FDA to approve an “Enviropig” and Hematech of Sioux Falls, South Dakota wants to approve a genetically modified cow that resists mad cow disease.

But is it safe? Will the modified genes of the salmon, pig, and cow get mixed up with the genes in humans? Will the modified genes not only modify the animals but also the humans as well in the long run?

Nature created boundaries when it created animals, and those boundaries were only meant to be crossed through years of evolution naturally, not in a matter of days, weeks, and months, which is what will happen if this technology is approved.

Ah, the once quiet peaceful days when a man spent the day fishing next to lake, and did not dream of modifying the little animal that swam in the lake in front of him are gone. The days when man was happy with what nature had given him naturally to eat are also gone. They are gone, now come the days when industry modifies nature at rapid speed and force feeds it to you.

Don’t forget to check out my blog at [SNIP]

Mod Edit:

4) No Endorsement of User Content.
19) Advertising: You will not advertise or promote other discussion boards, chat systems, online communities or other websites on the Websites within posts, private messages, avatars and/or signatures without prior written permission from TAN.

Terms and Conditions
edit on 6-10-2010 by Gemwolf because: Snipped link to personal blog

CX

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Food is advancing a great deal....won't be long now....

CX.
edit on 5/10/10 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Lets hope this doesn't lead to the crash of natural populations, as has been the concern of many involved in the debate.

new topics

top topics

join