It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your philosophy type?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
www.markvernon.com...
This has nothing to do with conspiracy. But I wanted to share with my fellow philosophy lovers. Seems my ideal philosopher would be Epicurus.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I too am Epicurus

Except I don't think boredom is my enemy as the test said, only cause I have always been able to find stuff to keep me amused.

edit: spelling

[edit on 25-6-2010 by snowspirit]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Apparently mine is Aristotle, though personally I would have thought it was Plato.

They need more than six philosophers as choices. They could throw in some Eastern philosophers too like Confucious, Lao, and the Buddha.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
While i am not as familiar with the philosophers themselves as i am with simply philosophizing, the test seemed to give me a reasonable result

Your recommended philosophy-guru is EPICURUS.

Must have: A delight in the countryside and gardens.

Key promise: Peace and tranquillity.

Key peril: Boredom.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
More profiling on ats, lol.

You should never take part in polls like this sort of thing, to tell them how you think.

They have enough info on us.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

You are so right!
But it's fun none the less.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Your recommended philosophy-guru is ZENO OF CITIUM.

Key fact: He taught in a stoa, the Athenian supermarket, and hence founded the school of philosophy called Stoicism.

Must have: An interest in everyday life, for it is there that you learn life's big lessons.

Key promise: An ability to face anything, no matter how disastrous.

Key peril: To be "stoical" is to turn your back on passion.

Most likely to say: "If you have integrity, no-one can harm you."

Least likely to say: "Forget prudence! It won't help you anyway."

there it is I'm a Zeno guy apparently

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I found the little quiz thing kind of strange to lump each question into a choice of 2 answers when philosophy is as broad as collective points of view 2 answers per question... really?

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Interesting.....
The questions seem a bit superficial for such an expansive subject, but the answer given to my replies was Zeno of Citium.

Zeno Of Citium

I will have to delve into this Zeno a bit, but my favorite and most relatable to me, philosophers are Alan Watts, Bruce Lee and Robert Anton Wilson.

Alan Watts The Wisdom Of Insecurity

Robert Anton Wilson's Maybe Logic

Full Documentary Maybe Logic - video.google.com...#

Bruce Lee on the Tao

Peace

[edit on 25-6-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Your recommended philosophy-guru is ZENO OF CITIUM.

Key fact: He taught in a stoa, the Athenian supermarket, and hence founded the school of philosophy called Stoicism.

Must have: An interest in everyday life, for it is there that you learn life's big lessons.

Key promise: An ability to face anything, no matter how disastrous.

Key peril: To be "stoical" is to turn your back on passion.

Most likely to say: "If you have integrity, no-one can harm you."

Least likely to say: "Forget prudence! It won't help you anyway."

I would have like a middle option and an option on either side of the middle option. I am sort of a stoic, but I do have a soft side as well as a sensitive and logical side.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Yes, these are fun. Thanks for posting. And I'm not worried about being profiled.

I'm going to have to read up on this guy. I've never heard of him. I would say what's here is pretty accurate, though.

Your recommended philosophy-guru is PYRRHO OF ELIS.

Key fact: Pyrrho is traditionally known as the founder of the Sceptical school of philosophy.

Must have: Patience with yourself.

Key promise: Tranquility born of suspending disbelief.

Key peril: Trying to hold onto little in life can be tough.

Most likely to say: "Don't worry: be happy."

Least likely to say: "There is an answer to everything."

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

This is really cool, thanks!

I took it twice, first how I feel about life now, which said Zeno of Citium

Then I retook it, based on how I used to feel about life, and got Epicurus

I like both of their philosophies.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Zeno

I'm not surprised. I'd have been a Spartan in those days. No frills.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Spec, thanks for putting those videos up, I really enjoyed them. It looks like it comes down to meaning and being. Insecurity is something we all face from time to time, as a good number of our insecurities are the results of whatever meaning we've applied to them. Just be. As humans we posess emotions, which affect our perceptions. I don't think you can throw out emotions any more than you can throw out logic. Wouldn't it be better if we were well-balanced between logic and emotions? I know that is an assumption, but doesn't it make sense?

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by deadred

My pleasure deadred

Yes a balance between logic and emotion seem essential for stability and I like Watt's take on the characteristics of East and West, which kind of represent emotion and logic, as well as passive/aggressive, reverence for nature vs domination and developing our inner selves as well as outer expressions and commune. I believe all factors should try and be balanced(easier said than done). Keeps the juggling skills honed.

Peace

[edit on 25-6-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I don't understand these. It seems they are for simpleton, or perhaps I've got multiple personalities.

I found myself pretty ambiguous towards most of the questions. I found pretty much equal reasoning for both paths depending on the situation at hand. I mean, do people seriously wake up with the same type of thinking each day, and continue so until they rest?

This is the same problem I've had with personality tests when hiring. I was always red flagged when I first started taking them. I found out that they want you to fit into a simple-minded box, so learned to lie. Interestingly, I assume that was a key feature they were looking to find, and by my initially telling the truth, they thought I was a liar

Stupid tests, for simple people.

Drives me berserk.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Great thread OP.

Well here is mine.

Your recommended philosophy-guru is ARISTOTLE.

Key fact: The star pupil of Plato.

Must have: A desire to study the world and see what it reveals.

Key promise: The good life, which comes from living a virtuous life.

Key peril: The virtuous life can be tough.

Most likely to say: "Everything has its proper place."

Least likely to say: "Science is where humanity went wrong."

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
ZENO OF CITIUM---interesting.
I don't think I could pick this guy's philosophy out of a line up, but it sounds like me...for the most part, lol

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
This was fun, thanks

Your recommended philosophy-guru is EPICURUS.

Key fact: Epicurus, founder of Epicureanism, is probably the most misunderstood philosopher of antiquity.

Must have: A delight in the countryside and gardens.

Key promise: Peace and tranquillity.

Key peril: Boredom.

Most likely to say: "The true hedonist can find as much pleasure in a glass of chilled water as in a feast for a king."

Least likely to say: "He who tires of the city, tires of life."

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Most likely to say: "The true hedonist can find as much pleasure in a glass of chilled water as in a feast for a king."

So true. A true hedonist will try to enjoy wherever they go, no matter what they are doing. It's funny watching self-proclaimed hedonists live a life of stress and worry trying to BE a hedonist or a partyer, when all they had to do was learn to enjoy and see the value in any and everything.

I took the test twice, getting ZENO the first time. I think since we get news from all over the world, we are more in touch with the suffering of the world, and have to be stoic about it.

Knowing full well if we were put in a place of peace, or knew others would not have bad lives because they didn't understand, then we would be obviously more like Epicurus... enjoying every moment.

But as long as suffering exists for anyone, you have to be somewhat stoic. You can ignore it, or become willfully unaware of it, but eventually you have to face the fact that you can't save others from suffering of their own making.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join