It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Christians really worship the sun?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Modern Christianity does not worship the Sun. But it definitely contains elements of earlier religions, such as Sol Invictus and Mithrasim, that did.

It is impossible to accuse Christians of worshipping something by proxy, if neither they nor their church recognise such worship. Possibly, those in the early religion, did worship the Sun - there would have been converts from Sun worshipping faiths and there would probably have been those who clung onto their older beliefs or adapted them for a while. But Christianity absorbed them and the Christians of today worship their God and Jesus who are not interpreted in this way. It's possible that some believe that the Sun is a part of God, but nowhere in modern day theological teaching does the Church teach that the Sun is God. The question in the thread title should be "Did Christians really worship that Sun?" and not "Do".

There are many instances in the Bible where the literature shows a reverence towards the Sun and other stars. But this shows an affinity not a direct worship.
And personally, I think that any reverence is a natural occurence. After all, the Sun is the thing that gives us all life. We rely on it totally. No Sun - no human being able to worship their god.

As for Thomas Crowne's question? Did the Sun come down to Earth? I like to look at it this way - Jesus was the Light. He shone for his followers to be able to see the path that they have to take to follow thier god. And although Jesus refers to himself as a star, I believe this is because he contains an aspect of the Sun - light. But just because Jesus was the Light, it does not mean that he was the Sun - it was merely a good way of getting his message across and was a natural comparison with the most important light giving object known to man.
If anything the Bible teaches that the worshippers of Christianity die and shine down as stars themselves - Chronicles states just such a thing. Again though, this would point to a reverence - not worship.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I was not Accusing anyone! Everyone is Free to Practice & have Faith in any Religion that they want! What is wrong with being a Sun Worshiper by the way? If it wasn't for the Sun there would be NO LIFE on this PLANET!!

Why do Pagans get such a bad rap? Most of them are Not Bad people!! Their Religion is BASED in NATURE - they do not refute this. Why do most Christians get Hysterical when defining what Christianity is - like their Definition is Absolute & the only Valid interpretation. They are turning a Huge Blind Eye to the strong Pagan Roots of Christianity.

You want an Accusation - how about this - Many people have been Brainwashed by their Fundamentalist Preachers. Maybe they will get to "Burning Witches & Books" again sometime soon!

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
SUNDAY....is the 1st day of the week......

God said let there be light......day 1........SUNDAY.
On the 7th day he rested.....Saterday.

SUNDAY is not the SABBATH DAY it just plain isnt!
Look at any calender it IS the 1st day of our week!

Long ago when the Roman Catholics were attempting to gain members from the Pagan sect....the currant Pope DECIDED to make SUNDAY the Sabbath. In that way, the Church could gather MORE members due to the fact that pagans worship on Sunday the day of the SUN.

I see NO place in the bible where God says that he changed the order of the days of the week.....making Sunday the Sabbath, instead of the true Sabbath wich is Saterday.
I believe it states in the bible that the Sabbath is from sundown to sundown, so that makes the REAL Sabbath from Friday sundown to Saterday Sundown.
The ONLY people I know of that worship the Lord God on HIS Sabbath are the Jewish people.
I am not Jewish I am a Pagan if you care, or want to know.

I also believe that the bible states that those who are worshiping a false God and NOT keeping the Sabbath day Holy will NOT be saved. I think any people that think that Sunday is the Sabbath day are not in accordance to Gods actuall Biblical word.
Christians all fall under this catagory, not keeping the true Sabbath day....and worshiping on a day some ancient Pope decided on. Bummer for them hu? None of them will be saved according to the Bible.

Ehh not quite. The first day of the week was Saturday (saturn's day) which makes the 7th day Friday. This is due to the fact that in the Ptolemaic system, saturn is the farthest planet from Earth and thus was created first. So do you see how futile it is to find the corner of a circle?

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I would like to just point out that the sun that earth revolves around is not the only sun in the universe. The sun is a type of star. And there are TONS of "suns" in the universe. The sun that we see in the sky is just average in size compared to the other ones in th universe. There are bigger ones and brighter ones varying in color. There are ones that have a blue color to them which have an even brighter light than the sun we see. God IS NOT THE SUN. If He was He certainly wouldn't be an average sized one, when there are bigger and brighter ones out there in the universe. Also in about a billion years this sun will die out that we see. God is IMMORTAL. God will NEVER die out.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Ace - what you said is True. You see in this Modern Day & Age we have Science. Back then the Sun was "Life Giver" now we look up at the sky & think "Oh what a nice Sunny Day". Back then it was a Mystery on how actual "Reproduction" occured. Now we have defined "Sexual Intercourse" & have terms like "Sperm - Egg & Womb".

Obviously GOD is not the Sun. You should check out Buddhism. It is a very Scientific Religion. They believe that Ultimately the Universe is "Empty". They believe that the Universe is "Mind".

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I am not surprised that none of the so called "Christians" on this board have said anything . But when you come with facts not opinions about the practices of Christians it gets quite. Very Hypocritical if you ask me but I am not one to judge.
I'm not bothering with this thread. It's not hypocritical. It's just that
there is too much spiritual darkness here to even know where to begin.
I don't worship the sun. That's nonsense. I worship GOD. The history
presented may or may not be true, but that doesn't change Who
I worship. I worship the Creator.

Perhaps if this thread had been for discussing the roots and practices
in Christianity it would have been more accurate. But to say that
Christians worship the sun ... silly!

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Flyer - what is I told you that Catholics not only Worship the Sun - but also Worship the other "Creator" - The Vagina of the Goddess? To be fair they also Worship the Phallus. Do you have a Problem with that? Because that Intolerance - that "Burn the Pagan Witch" Mentality would be very
UN-Christian of you - now wouldn't it. We CAN'T just ignore History - As a Species we must learn from the mistakes of our past!!!

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
For the person that said the first day of the week is Saturday you are wrong. The first day of the week is Sunday. The 7th day of the week is Saturday;the TRUE Sabbath.

) God is omnipresence. He's in New York, He's in California, He's in
Georgia. God is everywhere, all at the same time.

2) Sabbath is from Sunset Friday to Sunset Saturday anywhere in the World.
Sabbath begins sunset Friday in New York, sunset Friday in Georgia, sunset
Friday in China, sunset Friday in Jerusalem, etc.

3) The Sabbath is the Seventh-day of the week. A day begins in the
evening(sunset) and ends at evening (sunset). The majority of major
languages of the world designate Saturday as the Sabbath. For example
Saturday in Spanish is "Sabado"

4) Also astronomy testifies of the correct days of the week. For example
scientists know that the days of the week are correct based on the stars.
For example Saturday is the 7 day, Sunday is the 1st day. etc. Read
Genesis 1:14

5) The Jews keep Saturday as the Sabbath. If anyone would know the true
Sabbath it would be the Jews.

There's alot more that can be said...

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
it's called transmutation:
when one religion concers another they make it easier by adopting some parts of the concered religion, sucha as december 25 is a pagan holiday celebrating the rebirth of the sun after the winter solstice

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by neverfear

( AWSOME) from ljberry

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I don't think christians worship the sun. They worship their own imaginations. Themselves actually. They prove this every time they take personal offense with unflattering statements against their god-man delusion.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Lilitu

Wow, leave it to you, Lili,
to bring up a thread from '04 and then post off-topic about "deluded" Christians!

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

Strange. It was on the first page of the CIR forum. I just followed my history back in Opera to be sure. No my post was not off topic.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lilitu
I don't think christians worship the sun. They worship their own imaginations. Themselves actually. They prove this every time they take personal offense with unflattering statements against their god-man delusion.

Christians believe that Jesus will live forever. Is that delusional? If living forever makes him a god, then by by that definition, he is a god. If you make unflattering statements about a god, you should expect the followers of that god to be offended.
Wouldn't you like to live forever? First step may be to believe that one of us has already attained it.
As for the question about the sun worship thing, I think some of the early Christians may have carried over some aspects of it by having sunrise worship on the day of the sun. It sounds suspicious to me.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I once held an opinion that indeed Christians like many other religions worshipped sun. Then I came into the conclusion that biblical 'lucifer' meant sun (because 'lucifer' means 'light bringer'), furthermore many pagan religions worshipped sun, so to the christian priests, it was relatively logical to point at the sun and say to the pagans: "your god is satan" etc.

But if you consider that Christians worship creator, and our creator in a way is sun, as it makes the life possible in here. However, I am sure that this conception is inaccurate. If one considers to be a gnostic, then one could say that modern Christians worships the Satan (the rebel), because in secret book of John (supposed Gnostic Genesis from Nag Hammad), Yaldabaoth (Yehovah, Sabaoth or Saklas) rebels against the 'one' (which is the real God of everything), creates man amongst other entities and elevates himself saying: "I am the God and there is not other gods". YHVH later regrets tho and return to the light. I know this is confusing especially for the mainstream Christians. One has to remember that this is only a interpretation, not an opinion!

Be well,

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
Christians believe that Jesus will live forever. Is that delusional?

Living matter eventually dies.

Would I like to live forever? Ah the vain dreams of youth! Nobody lives forever so why waste precious time pondering that which will never be? I just find it totally asinine, the belief in an all powerful super-duper being so morally vapid that he requires innumerable lesser beings to stroke his warped ego incessantly throughout eternity and alternatively, forever roasting all else who refuse to play along with the drama queen.

Originally posted by jmdewey60
As for the question about the sun worship thing, I think some of the early Christians may have carried over some aspects of it by having sunrise worship on the day of the sun. It sounds suspicious to me.

At one time it may have been true at a subconscious level but I do not think that "modern" christians worship the sun which is what the OP asked.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join