It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Juror booted out for naughty T-shirt

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Stupid little tart should have had her arse kicked!

It has nothing at all to do with freedom of speech or expression, but everything to do with common sense and decency. As has been stated many times in this thread, there are times when casual dress and statement T-shirts are fine, but other times when they are not.
And no, someones dress sense has nothing to do with their ability to determine a case in court and figure out guilt or innocence, but that is not the issue here.

I have seen young people, and some not so young, wearing such apparel before in public with obscene statements on them and I think it's pathetic and offensive. I am certainly no prude - hell, I still laugh at farts and have the humour of an 8 year old - but there are people who are offended by such slogans and the use of profane language to sell a product or have it displayed in public shows a complete lack of simple decency.

People who do so don't give a hoot about decency or offending others, it's always about them and the shock factor of wearing it in public.

Two simple words - "Grow Up"!

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

to you, but you should respect their decision to wear it!

its their choice... if it offends you don't look!

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solofront
reply to post by whatukno

Its out of my way though, why should I have to do anything, I'm going at least, and I don't even want to do that, but since I am going, I'm just telling myself it will be a "learning experience" whatever that turns out to be

I've served on two juries. I think they prefer the nice business casual dress, but its my experience that if you show up in a nice polo shirt and pants in good condition nobody will say anything to you about it.

If you did that, they'd probably just assume you don't own any business casual clothing and can't afford to buy some. They are not going to kick you out for being poor.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by mattifikation]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ugie1028
reply to post by Britguy

to you, but you should respect their decision to wear it!

its their choice... if it offends you don't look!

I don't respect anyone who would wear something or do something designed to shock others, just so they get a personal kick out of it. It shows a lack of maturity and simple decency.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

well as i said. that's on YOU!

If you don't like it, keep it to yourself. you wont be able to change that persons mind for offending yours!

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation
They're not going to kick you out for being poor.

Thats one of the lamest replies I've read in awhile.

And should be edited out if you are of maturity.

I wear tshirts and only tshirts, nothing else, I may have some poloshirts around given to me during christmas and whatnot, but its not part of my daily atire.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
I have seen young people, and some not so young, wearing such apparel before in public with obscene statements on them and I think it's pathetic and offensive. I am certainly no prude

There's your contradiction, right there. Figure it out.

What is your opinion of men who wear fake wigs and black robes to work?

How about men who wear white robes and large 'gangster crucifix crosses' on them?

I find those dress codes extremely silly... but I don't stop the morons from wearing their 'bling' to work.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by tezzajw]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by theregonnakillme

Very well said.

I couldn't agree more on this total and utter bull~snip~ Apperances only matter to judgemental and superfical sub-humans (people who aren't worthy of being called human)

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

You seem to be missing the fundamental point here that MANY people find displayed profanity in public offensive. It has absolutely nothing to do with prudish attitudes.
It's just common decency to not go out of your way to do, say or wear things that cause offense deliberately. Is that really so hard to understand?

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

This thread is addicting. Now I have a visual of the Pope, Snoop Dog, Donald Trump, King Abdullah, my neighbor, the skater down the street and the bum under the bridge all hanging out at the Western bar...

[edit on 25-6-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I like how so many people on ATS can acknowledge that there is something very wrong with the world we live in today; yet they continue to believe that certain parts of our society work just fine. Even with the overwhelming stimulus coming in from all directions, affecting our psyches and manipulating the way we perceive what is permeable and what is not.

We can safely admit that society is approaching the point of no return, and that people have been tinctured with propaganda and lies from those they believe in most.

-----
Here we have someone that probably wanted nothing to do with this system, which has proven to be faulty, and pretty much a goddamn ruse facilitated by the wealthy and their inner circles; along with the poor saps that come outta law school thinking they're going to do good.

Amazing.

"The system is broken. Sometimes you get fairness, sometimes you don't. Oh well, make sure you show respect."
-----

Mistrials and being denied constitutional rights and due process. Yet ... you gotta give due respect.

"Those fools vetoed majority rule. We need to use their system and VOTE them out ... even though, you know, they could fix elections." "We need to vote against those policies, that will work; even though ... you know ... they can veto that too."

I'm not even gonna bother with anymore illustrations.

This is just flippin' silly.

Good game.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

In your view, you find obscene words offensive. Others disagree.

I find other dress codes far more silly than a 'naughty t-shirt'.

Justify why a man should be allowed to wear a fake wig and black robes in a court room, when a girl can't wear her 'naughty t-shirt'.

Justify why a man should be allowed to wear white dress robes with gold 'bling' to work.

Justify why a man should wear a neck tie. In case you have never worn one, neck ties are completely useless. They restrict airflow around the body, heating up the head and they risk the health of the wearer in warmer weather. The are an uncomfortable piece of social oppression, designed to satisfy the antiquated, fashion conscious, pompous prats who rule us.

Those costumes are far more silly than a girl wearing a 'naughty t-shirt'. These costumes offend other people far more than a girl wearing a 'naughty t-shirt'.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solofront

Originally posted by mattifikation
They're not going to kick you out for being poor.

Thats one of the lamest replies I've read in awhile.

And should be edited out if you are of maturity.

I wear tshirts and only tshirts, nothing else, I may have some poloshirts around given to me during christmas and whatnot, but its not part of my daily atire.

So... you're suggesting that they would kick you out for being poor?

I think you chose to be offended by my statement. Read the whole thing, and take the part you quoted in the context of the statement immediately prior.

As to my maturity... It is what it is and I have no need to prove it on a forum that thinks the government is run by shape shifting lizards. Edit: I went back and made a little change, just for you. ;-)

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Justify why a man should be allowed to wear a fake wig and black robes in a court room, when a girl can't wear her 'naughty t-shirt'.

In America we don't do the powdered wig thing.

You would think that you could show some respect for a person who can send your ass to jail.

When I was younger, I was arrested for not paying a ticket, while I was sitting there in court shackled to other people who were there for various other crimes, the guy next to me asks me if he can use the bathroom, so, I asked the bailiff to uncuff him, the bailiff does, and the guy goes to the bathroom.

Well, the judge sees this and exclaims "Wait a minute, what just went on there?"

I piped up, "The guy wanted to use the bathroom."

The judge replies, "Why did he ask YOU?"

I said "You were busy."

The Judge turns to the bailiff and asks, "Why did you listen to HIM?"

Well, not being impressed with that scene, the bailiff was fired, and I was given a week in jail for contempt of court. When the judge passed down sentence, he said, "This is going to teach you that this is MY courtroom, not yours."

The moral of the story is, when you are in court, it's the judges way or the highway.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
The girl was an idiot to wear a t-shirt like that. How stupid can someone get?

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by brainwrek

Well...for a start it was just plain old disrespectful.

Bad manners.

It also could have been seen as a sign of the lack of impartiality of the juror.

If the juror was perceived as being anti-establishment or hostile to the process of law and respect of the law, then it may be assumed that she may have automatically decided to stick one to the system as it were, and find not guilty, regardless of the quality and content of any evidence presented.

May also have been grounds for an appeal later on.

I don't believe one has to dress in a certain way, to be able to honestly or effectively perform as a juror, but it's not a question of fashion, or 'uniform' and more an indication of level of respect for the weighty and serious nature of the proceedings.

A shirt with F**K written on it, although fine for the street, isn't exactly respectful and proper.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

That judge sounds like a jack-off. It's not your fault the guy asked you instead of him, and you aren't in control of what the bailiff does. This country has way too many judges who need to be stripped of all power and sent to work at Burger King in non-management positions.

I also hate it when a judge calls it "my courtroom." That's just always bothered me. It's the peoples' courtroom. The peoples' taxes paid for its construction, the peoples' taxes pay for its maintenance, the peoples' taxes bought the decorations on the walls and the seats and the bench and the gavel. The peoples' taxes pay the judge's salary, the court is there to serve justice to the people of the country and not the ego of the judge, and in many cases it was the people who elected - and can vote out - the judge in the first place.

It's my opinion that any judge who calls the courtroom "his" has lost site of the fact that the government exists to serve and represent the people, not to own them.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
If you ask me, I don't think a t-shirt like that is acceptable ANYWHERE. The two middle letters may well have been replaced by asterisks, but everyone knows what it means. It's disrespectful to other people.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by Mogget]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

While that may all be true, I still got a week of minimum security for my trouble.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by mattifikation

While that may all be true, I still got a week of minimum security for my trouble.

No doubt. In many ways, the Judicial Branch is the nation's most powerful. By holding the power to interpret the law, the essentially have the power to determine what the law is. And in a courtroom, for the most part whatever the Judge says, goes.

Sadly, the huge scope of that power is not lost to some of those power hungry jerks. The problem with judges is they are the result of combining a lawyer and a politician into one person.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join